Ever sell anything for some insane amount on Amazon?

BrandonJ33

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I was pretty surprised a few minutes ago when "Sold, ship now: Guardian Heroes [Sega Saturn]" popped up in gmail. Someone must have wanted Guardian Heroes pretty badly to pay $149.00 + shipping for a disc only copy.

I've sold about 50 items so far on Amazon over the past couple of years and have yet to have a problem with a buyer... *knock on wood*

They take 15% commission on items that sell (same as half.com) and there are no fees to list an item, so there's really nothing to lose by listing an item for an extremely inflated price and hoping someone is desperate enough to buy it.

Depending on the item, it's possible to make substantially more money selling on Amazon versus eBay. I sold a mint and complete Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner for 74.99 a couple of years ago when the same item was selling for $30 on ebay. It just happened that not many people had a "Like New" ZoE2 listed on Amazon and someone must have really wanted it. For some stuff it's just better to use eBay.

[quote name='BrandonJ33']
They take 15% commission on items that sell (same as half.com) and there are no fees to list an item, so there's really nothing to lose by listing an item for an extremely inflated price and hoping someone is desperate enough to buy it.
[/quote]
I'm looking at the $300 and $200 Christmas Nights disc. :roll:

I about shat myself when I saw that, and immediately dug my copy out. Then I checked ebay prices:cry:. I wish it were worth that much.

A little more than a week before Christmas, I listed a brand new DDR Mario Mix for $269.00. It sold in about 4 hours. Not bad for a game I had just picked up at Sears for $10.97 only hours earlier.

[quote name='BrandonJ33']I've sold about 50 items so far on Amazon over the past couple of years and have yet to have a problem with a buyer... *knock on wood*

Depending on the item, it's possible to make substantially more money selling on Amazon versus eBay. I sold a mint and complete Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner for 74.99 a couple of years ago when the same item was selling for $30 on ebay. It just happened that not many people had a "Like New" ZoE2 listed on Amazon and someone must have really wanted it. For some stuff it's just better to use eBay.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how often those New copies of ZOE2 move on amazon? Getting a $130 to $150 for my extra sealed copy, that I found for $10, would be nice. I could put that towards a ps3.

[quote name='CS_Mike']A little more than a week before Christmas, I listed a brand new DDR Mario Mix for $269.00. It sold in about 4 hours. Not bad for a game I had just picked up at Sears for $10.97 only hours earlier.[/quote]

Sucker, I only paid $9.97. ;)

[quote name='djkunai']Sucker, I only paid $9.97. ;)[/quote]

Crap, why didn't I wait for it to drop more? I feel like such an idiot :)

I only buy stuff from Amazon and Half.com

The weird thing is that Amazon usually ends up being the cheaper place to buy. Of course I don't go in for those rare games.

[quote name='SolidMetal']how do you sell things on amazon? I would like to learn. send me a pm :O[/quote]
If you PM him, feel free to send me a copy too.
Nevermind... I learned to read.

yeah like right now I'm trying to sell a very good conditioned halo 2, xbox, and i want to know how to sell it. So i'm waiting for a PM lawl.

Hehe, I sold DDR Mario Mix (game only, complete) for $130 right after Christmas this year. Insane.

And now it's worth about $75 (just sold another copy on eBay for this price, as a matter of fact).

Geez people just go to Amazon and read, it was pretty painless to sign up, I think i'm going to switch over to them for a bit

ive only sold one, Final Fantasy XI w/ the 40gb hdd bundle for the ps2 for $124. i sold alot of those on ebay but finally someone wanted it on amazon. since its not ebay you cant check how much stuff sold for how much.

How does the payment system work?

I was reading up and I wanted to be paid in Amazon Gift Certificates. Fine with me. Do you know if they will still charge my credit card the fees (15%) or just deduct them from what my gift card amount would be? This would help me a lot!

I never understood why things sold for such inflated prices on the amazon marketplace, but after reading their fees policy, I get it. The fees are insane, 15% commission plus 2.35 for closing fees per item, which is reflected in the prices. Not sure why people buy there versus ebay sometimes.

I noticed they have standard shipping rates for all video games, but what about those with huge boxes? I have several Beatmania bundles I have been meaning to get rid of, but there doesn't appear to be any change in the shipping rate to reflect that. Does the seller just eat the extra cost of shipping in that case? $4 doesn't really help much when it will actually cost about $15-20 to ship.

[quote name='mguiddy']I'm looking at the $300 and $200 Christmas Nights disc. :roll:

I about shat myself when I saw that, and immediately dug my copy out. Then I checked ebay prices:cry:. I wish it were worth that much.[/quote]

I got my copy on Amazon for 4.99 a few months back. Crazy.

[quote name='xdl']I never understood why things sold for such inflated prices on the amazon marketplace, but after reading their fees policy, I get it. The fees are insane, 15% commission plus 2.35 for closing fees per item, which is reflected in the prices. Not sure why people buy there versus ebay sometimes.

I noticed they have standard shipping rates for all video games, but what about those with huge boxes? I have several Beatmania bundles I have been meaning to get rid of, but there doesn't appear to be any change in the shipping rate to reflect that. Does the seller just eat the extra cost of shipping in that case? $4 doesn't really help much when it will actually cost about $15-20 to ship.[/quote]
Add it into the cost of the item.

[quote name='"from http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1161252"']Shipment is required even if the shipping credit does not cover all shipping costs. Such discrepancies should be accounted for in the price you set.[/quote]

[quote name='BrandonJ33']I've sold about 50 items so far on Amazon over the past couple of years and have yet to have a problem with a buyer... *knock on wood*

Depending on the item, it's possible to make substantially more money selling on Amazon versus eBay. I sold a mint and complete Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner for 74.99 a couple of years ago when the same item was selling for $30 on ebay. It just happened that not many people had a "Like New" ZoE2 listed on Amazon and someone must have really wanted it. For some stuff it's just better to use eBay.[/QUOTE]
The listing fee is a retro-type deal. Should you sell the item you listed, they charge you a percentage plus $0.99 for the listing. (Commission varies, depending on the item you are selling.) Now if you sign up for the Merchants Membership you can list as much as you want for a flat $39.99 a month. Well worth it if you are a heavy hitter.

[quote name='xdl']I never understood why things sold for such inflated prices on the amazon marketplace, but after reading their fees policy, I get it. The fees are insane, 15% commission plus 2.35 for closing fees per item, which is reflected in the prices. Not sure why people buy there versus ebay sometimes.

I noticed they have standard shipping rates for all video games, but what about those with huge boxes? I have several Beatmania bundles I have been meaning to get rid of, but there doesn't appear to be any change in the shipping rate to reflect that. Does the seller just eat the extra cost of shipping in that case? $4 doesn't really help much when it will actually cost about $15-20 to ship.[/QUOTE]
The fees are steep, but in that marketplace you will get more money for your item, then if you were selling it on Ebay.(Most cases). I find it to be more profitable to sell through Amazon. That marketplace is way more profitable than Ebay. As far as the shipping goes, I know what you're saying, but I will price my items that require a high shipping cost accordingly. I will tack on an extra $10 dollars on the price, which is already bringing a ridiculous profit.

Prime example: I bought a Star Wars game for the gamecube for $.97, brand new. I flipped it on Amazon for $79.95. I can't even begin to tell you all the stuff I've sold and made crazy profits on it.

Better than Ebay and Half.com

For the 1st 14 days they hold ur funds, then after that u can make a withdraw to ur bank or amazon giftcard once a day, like people have said fees are kinda steep, it's not worth it to sell cheap stuff on there, for example I sold some old crappy mtv cd, sold it for like 75 cents, after the fees and shipping I made one cent. All and all it's a pretty good system, everything I have listed sells within a few days. There are some people who try to take advantage of the buyer complaint system, for example I sold a dvd that went along with an accounting book I had, was never used, buyer kept mailing me claiming cd key doesnt work, just kept asking him to send it back and Ill check for myself (which I had no way of doing) and person just stopped the emails.

Hmmmm....Anyone able to answer my question?

Will they retract the selling fees (15% + $0.99) from my credit card or just from the final value given to me if I choose Amazon gift cards?

wow i have so many things i can make some serious cash off of amazon like:
psx-Darkstalkers the night warriors
psx-Samurai Shodown warriors rage
psx-Star ocean the second story
psx-Final fantasy VII

I got a bunch of Jagermeister shot glasses for free from work. I started selling them in pairs for about $15. As I sold them I raised the next set a couple dollars. The last set I sold went for $30.

Not bad for something I got for free.

[quote name='FeNoM91']Hmmmm....Anyone able to answer my question?

Will they retract the selling fees (15% + $0.99) from my credit card or just from the final value given to me if I choose Amazon gift cards?[/quote]

Pretty sure it will come from fees, I get it into my bank account and all fees are taken directly from the sale, as soon as something sells fees are taken instantly.

[quote name='ricoraney']The listing fee is a retro-type deal. Should you sell the item you listed, they charge you a percentage plus $0.99 for the listing. (Commission varies, depending on the item you are selling.) Now if you sign up for the Merchants Membership you can list as much as you want for a flat $39.99 a month. Well worth it if you are a heavy hitter.[/quote]

I wish I would have known that about a month ago. I sold a whole bunch of games (about 20) for just short of 1k. My fees were like $178. Still made more than I would have on ebay, but I would have liked an extra $140.

[quote name='FeNoM91']Hmmmm....Anyone able to answer my question?

Will they retract the selling fees (15% + $0.99) from my credit card or just from the final value given to me if I choose Amazon gift cards?[/quote]

I have mine set up to transfer to my bank account. They don't actually charge your bank account fees, they just give you the total cost minus fees. So if you list it for $50+3.99 shipping, and the fees turn out to be $11 (just an aprox.), you will get $42.99 transfered to your account.

[quote name='drfunk85']I wish I would have known that about a month ago. I sold a whole bunch of games (about 20) for just short of 1k. My fees were like $178. Still made more than I would have on ebay, but I would have liked an extra $140.

I have mine set up to transfer to my bank account. They don't actually charge your bank account fees, they just give you the total cost minus fees. So if you list it for $50+3.99 shipping, and the fees turn out to be $11 (just an aprox.), you will get $42.99 transfered to your account.[/quote]

I see. I may start listing stuff up on there. Thanks for the help!

[quote name='CS_Mike']A little more than a week before Christmas, I listed a brand new DDR Mario Mix for $269.00. It sold in about 4 hours. Not bad for a game I had just picked up at Sears for $10.97 only hours earlier.[/quote]

damn

I would consider selling on amazon but.. I have great great feedback on ebay w/ 100% and I know that has helped me get plenty of sales quickly.

[quote name='classact']Anyone who has gotten there balance in a amazon gift card how long does it generally take?[/QUOTE]

They have the waiting period listed somewhere on the site. It takes like 8-12 weeks for the first withdrawal, iirc. After that you can withdraw every day.

bread's done
Back