EWG: What Are Your Thoughts?

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
EWG claims to be a non-profit organization strictly working for the environment and consumer protection. For some reason I am suspicious of them, and rather than write them off without any real evidence, I want to hear what some others think while I do some research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Working_Group

Look clean to me.

A February 2000 story about organic vegetables on 20/20 included a comment by John Stossel that ABC News tests had shown that neither organic nor conventional produce samples contained any pesticide residue, and that organic food was more likely to be contaminated by E. coli bacteria. The Environmental Working Group took exception to his report, mainly questioning his statements about bacteria, but also found that the produce had never been tested for pesticides. They communicated this to Stossel but the story was rebroadcast months later with not only the inaccurate statement uncorrected, but with a postscript in which Stossel reiterated his error. Then, after the New York Times took note of the error, ABC News suspended the producer of the segment for a month and reprimanded Stossel, who issued an apology over the incident, saying that he had thought the tests had been conducted as reported, but that he had been wrong. He asserted, however, that the gist of his report had been accurate.

Called out John Stossel. Twice.

On February 8th, 2002, the Bellevue, WA based Center for the Defense of Free Enterprise filed a complaint with IRS Commissioner Charles Rossotti, claiming that the EWG's "excessive lobbying and politicking" activities are "clearly illegal and should (at a minimum) result in revocation of the organization's tax-exempt status."

Pissed off a Republican think-tank. That's two.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...GZ0gI3Ol3bsFafYcw&sig2=vhYOee_BNfS71ijkL-iL6A (PDF file)

Infuriated an anonymous-sounding-named conservative christian group that acts as a "watchdog" for evil labor unions, green groups, and educational interests (you know, the foundation of all that's wrong with America: working, learning, and giving a fuck about your planet).

Squeaky clean as far as I'm concerned.

bread's done
Back