Exchanging old DS for new DS (at Best Buy)

XboxMaster

CAGiversary!
I purchased my most recent DS this past Christmas with a replacement plan at Best Buy. I was wondering if I would be able to exchange my old DS for the new DS Lite when they have some in stock. I'm not sure if it works like that, but I thought it'd only take a sorry excuse to get them to do that. Anyone know about that?

I believe with the Best Buy exchange plan you've got to call in and clear it with them, they send you a box to return it and then they send you a check/gift card for the amount you paid for your DS. I did something like that when new color GBA SPs came out and that's how it worked.

[quote name='Stuka']I believe with the Best Buy exchange plan you've got to call in and clear it with them, they send you a box to return it and then they send you a check/gift card for the amount you paid for your DS. I did something like that when new color GBA SPs came out and that's how it worked.[/QUOTE]

No, don't do that. Bring it into the store with the replacement plan stuff. They're a lot more likely to replace it in store than with the call in hotline.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']No, don't do that. Bring it into the store with the replacement plan stuff. They're a lot more likely to replace it in store than with the call in hotline.[/quote]That's true. I had a problem with them by doing it that way. The first time my DS broke, I took it in store and exchanged no problem. The second time I went in and they said to call, so I called and it took around 2 months for me to recieve my gift card for $130 when I payed $150.

lol.. they always promise people they can exchange it for a newer version of the product with the replacement plan.. Good luck with that.

Well not sure about Best Buy, but I know Frys replacement plan lets you replace your old hardware with the new up-to-date hardware right away. So I would assume you might be able to get away with it at Best Buy...

[quote name='Prepster']Well not sure about Best Buy, but I know Frys replacement plan lets you replace your old hardware with the new up-to-date hardware right away. So I would assume you might be able to get away with it at Best Buy...[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you can never make assumptions about Best Buy. Their policies are largely at the discretion of the manager/employee you are dealing with.

i imagine you couldn't do that unless your DS was broken and wouldn't they test it? but if you broke it (or at least if it was obviously broken by you) they won't cover it probably, even if they said they would don't belive that crap... BB plans have never worked out for me last time it was a lap top and they refused to fix it on the grounds that it was a softwear issue when it was so obvious that it wasn't at all, hell the computer wouldn't even turn on, that's not a software issue. It was 2 months before my warrenty was up and they just craped on me (a friend fixed it, but that's beside the point). i'm done ranting now i say if you can get away w/ it take best buy for all they are worth

they shouldn't replace if they test it first and find nothing is wrong with it, if you bought a PRP then they will replace it right there if something is wrong or you get a "nice" employee.

Easily. Call in the hotline, say that games won't work on it, send it in and they'll give you the gift card. they're too lazy to actually send back the system and probably don't even check it in the first place.

[quote name='jer7583']lol.. they always promise people they can exchange it for a newer version of the product with the replacement plan.. Good luck with that.[/QUOTE] It'll be under a different product number in their system though, so it'll depend who they talk to.

I didn't think you really had a choice. I took it into Best Buy and they said, no call this number. It took about a month, but I didn't care. I wasn't playing my GBA anymore and I got the full purchase price back.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Best Buy's replacement program works flawlessly. I have already done it twice, both times after I got tired of the product and didn't want it anymore.

The first time was a CD player. I bought an mp3-enabled cd player for Christmas. Around April I purchased an iPod and had no use for the cd player anymore. I called BB and told them that I was having issues with the battery charge. I sent in the item and received a product voucher.

The second time was for my phone. I purchased a phone and quickly got sick of it. I downgraded to a crappy low-end model and sent in the old phone. I then received a product voucher as well, which I used towards the purchase of the laptop I am currently using. I used "battery" issues as an excuse again and had no problems.

I was considering buying my DS Lite tomorrow with a PRP. Does something have to be wrong with the product? because of course the sales clerks will lead you to believe that you can replace fully functional products. I bought a PRP for my gamecube called back years later to ask about it at the store I purchased it from and they laughed at me/convinced me that there was no such thing, ect. at the time I wasn't such a CAG because I had a good job so just blew the whole thing off. In retrospect I probably shoudl have called in to the phone number on the plan. In general I hate best buy, but cheapness prevails. I was hoping the PRP a way to insure high trade in value in the future? I had no idea Fry's had PRPs maybe I'll try them tomorrow morning instead. Are their PRPs comparable in price and length? Can anybody else confirm it's valid for product upgrades?

Just say it's defective, and ask for store credit. Then use that store credit to buy your Lite. That's all you have to do. As long as you have the box and everything with the PRP and receipt, you should be totally fine.

My MP3 player was acting a bit funny (after about 1 1/2 year), and I just asked for a gift card at the customer service desk. I'm using the same gift card to pick up a Lite tomorrow, hopefully. It all depends on availability, and if people are camping out tonight.

bread's done
Back