Expand Your Xbox LIVE Network of Pals by browsing other Friends lists

eshbums

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
New Experience to be made available on December 4th with the Xbox 360 Fall Dashboard Update

Microsoft is making it even easier to expand your Friends network on Xbox LIVE, starting with the Fall Dashboard Update on December 4th. Members will now be able to check out the friends lists of fellow Xbox LIVE members right from the Dashboard. With this new feature, members can find old friends or connect with new ones within the community of more than 8 million people on Xbox LIVE around the globe and send messages and game invites, as well as compare games and Achievements.

With the prevalence of social media websites such as MySpace and FaceBook, this type of capability has largely come to be expected from consumers as a means to relate in an online community. Xbox LIVE continually seeks new ways to better serve the expectations of its members, which often result in enhancements made available for free through the bi-annual Dashboard updates.

When the Fall Dashboard update is distributed on December 4th, the new default setting on Xbox LIVE will be active enabling members to see the Friends lists of other Xbox LIVE members. Members who would like to keep their friends list private can take the following steps to change their settings beginning today:

Log in to www.xbox.com/fof and select one of the three options available for your Gamertag:

* Everyone (only available to members 18 and older)
* Friends only (available to members 13 and older)
* Blocked (available to all members, and automatic for anyone under the age of 13)

Stay tuned for more information about the Xbox 360 Dashboard Update later this month.

This feature is already available on the Zune Social to an extent .
Zune shares friends lists with Xbox Live and you can see other Zune owners firends .

this is pretty neat. I was wondering just the other day if this would at all be implemented into xboxlive. just another thing to look forward to on top of the xbox1 games coming to live as well.

I like the idea, since I have several 'friends of friends' that never seem to remember each other's tag...so now I can pop in and add them on my own.

cool idea but i wish they let us organize our friends list. i'd like to know who my cag friends are versus people i know from playing online.

I wonder if they are going to go for a more Myspace-ish approach because some could see that Cobra Commander (Shipwreck) is in my friends list but if my friends knew that he was from the CAG and the podcast they would be more interested in being his friend.

BTW Ship I want to play you in carcassone

Hopefully they add the ability to add comments to people's gamertags, I can't always remember who everyone is so I have to keep a spreadsheet on my computer to remember. :roll:

[quote name='shrike4242']fuck you, MS, for not opting us all out automatically and having our friends list set to blocked by default. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. What a lame way to appear to be on the social networking bandwagon.

Im sending my 360 to get fixed and it wont be hooked up on that day. will I get the update when I hook it back up?

[quote name='MikeydCT']Im sending my 360 to get fixed and it wont be hooked up on that day. will I get the update when I hook it back up?[/quote]

...well duh.

I chose blocked. That means that NO ONE will be able to see it, right?

[quote name='Scorch']...well duh.

I chose blocked. That means that NO ONE will be able to see it, right?[/QUOTE]
yes, if you choose blocked then no one can see your friends list.

I chose "friends only" because I am willing to try it, it's not like I care who sees my friends list anyway it's not that exciting. and it's not like I am friends with people who want to keep there gamertag a secret. It think this will turn into a way of people showing off that they are friends with gaming celebs (CheapyD, Major Nelson, TJ Scoot, etc.)

From that my question would be is it possible to set your self as private so if you are friends with someone who is sharing their friends list that people can't in turn stalk you?

I really hope this means we will have other updates to the friends list... labeling and comments would be incredible. I would like something like costumized tabs that I can label as CAGs work friends, Halo, guitar hero etc.

Also expand the friends list from 100 to 200 or higher.

I was hoping this update would come with "groups" or "clans", like CAG could form a Cheapassgamer group online, and people could join the group to be listed in the group, and you could invite people into games from that group as if they were on your friends list.

[quote name='MikeydCT']Im sending my 360 to get fixed and it wont be hooked up on that day. will I get the update when I hook it back up?[/QUOTE]
Of course.

[quote name='yukine']That would be really awesome, but that idea is too smart and makes a little too much sense for Microsoft. :D[/QUOTE]
And it's something that could be easily expanded too.

Like you could set up tournaments and gaming events, have your own group calendar, wall to post on, etc. Groups could be set to private, invite only, public, etc.

Other features I was hoping for:

Favorite games tags: The games you play the most could be tagged to your account, when in a certain game you could opt to organize your friends list by players who play the game you're in the most, with players who don't even have the game shuffled down to the bottom of the list.

Support for WXGA 16:10 widescreen monitor resolutions.

Something that would make since from a business perspective: gift downloads. Use your own points to buy your friends marketplace content. Give your friend the gift of Bomberman in time for the holidays.

Multi-person chat channels. We had it on the Xbox, it's about time to bring it back. And why not throw in multi-person videochat too? And as long as you're in the dashboard, you could opt to have your friend's video-feed superimposed as the background of your dashboard.

bread's done
Back