Experience with Circuit City Advantage anyone?

howlinmad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Has anyone had any experience with CC's City Advantage?
I got a 360 from there, and bought the 2 year plan. He says basicly if anything happens, for 2 years they will either replace or fix it, probably replace.

I started thinking about it when I started having a small problem with DoA4, just the Team Ninja intro stutters for a few seconds, and in the same place every time, but I was thinking it might be a problem that might be bigger later.

I called the store back, and they told me that if I ever had to use the warranty, I would have to pay the 75 bucks again if I wanted to continue having a warranty after they repaired/fixed it. Even if it was just a few months into the 2 years.
Called back, and asked the customer service desk. She went and checked, and said that I definatly had a warranty for 2 years, even if I had to get it replaced in 2 months, I had a year and 10 months left.

Well, wanting the facts, and not just calling until I got what I wanted to hear, I called another store. They told me I had to buy it again, that it only covered replacement/repair once.

*sigh* well, who do I believe? So I call the number for the City Advantage service. Certainly THEY would know....
He starts reading me what the warranty covers from his book....
I said, "no man, let say I have a drive problem in 1 year, and you guys replace it. Do I have to buy the warranty again? Or do I still have 1 year left?"
He tells me that "if you bring it in past the 2 year time period, you would have to extend the warranty."
Finally he comes around and says yes, you are covered for two years no matter what, if you have it repaired or replaced, you have the remaining warranty left.

So, has anyone ever actually used the CC warranty? Did you have to buy it again, even though the warranty was not up when you got a replacement/repair?

It seems it depends on who you ask, as far as Circuit City is concerned. :)

The Circuit City stores here don't have any in stock, and the 30 day return is up next week....suggestions?

Wow, $75 for a one-time repair within 2 years on something that would likely be fixed for free or a nominal fee from the manufacturer during the same time period is a terrible deal.

It is amazing that for something which garners them so much profit, they really have no idea how their warranty service works. I would return everything ASAP and buy it from someplace reputable (this time without the ripoff "warranty").

Well I SELL the Cityadvantage plans, so I can clear things up. I sell them for Laptops, but the same rules apply here. Once you get it replaced once, the warranty is gone. You have to think of it this way: the warranty will cover your 360. The one you have now. If you got it replaced, you just got a new 360. You no longer have the one that you originally purchased. The warranty you bought was for the one you took home the day you bought the warranty, not for every 360 that you get from CC for the next 2 years. There ya go.

Actually for the 360 they just give you a giftcard which you can put towards a new one. I will say it is far better than having to spend another $400+ on a new system all together (and no I am not saying this because I work for CC, I'm saying this from the point of view of a cheap ass).

Wow, that makes it an even crappier deal. $75 for a one-shot warranty on a $400 system doesn't seem worth it to me.

And you have to figure you'd only have to spend $300 or $100 tops to fix your problem anyway. Problem with the HDD, buy a new HDD for $100; problem with anything else, buy a new core for $300. Unless you can't swap a HDD between systems? And then you'd be able to sell the broken 360 on eBay to recoup a good bit of the $300 besides I'd bet.

You also need to read the terms completely. Find out exactly what "anything" is that could happen allowing you to get a replacement. For reference, I got the City Advantage for my laptop, and I hate that I did. It was something like $200, and I figured I might as well, being my first laptop. Turns out that when I bought it, they didn't cover the battery. And shockingly, the battery is the only thing that I've had problems with (it only lasts about 20 minutes). The new terms do cover the battery, but of course they won't honor those.

OT - But Dell's warranty with Accident coverage (or whatever it's called) is great. Came to my place to fix a problem with a yellow line on the laptop's screen and when the battery died they just shipped out a new one. Didn't even have to send them back the broken one IIRC.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']For a 360, just get a warranty through Microsoft. Paying $75 for a one-time replacement is a rip-off.[/QUOTE]

URL to Microsoft's 360 warranty please? I'm not seeing ANYTHING on XBox.com on any 360 warranty info (and believe me... I looked). I just want to know what exactly does Microsoft cover compared to CC's warranty and the cost between the two.

[quote name='Demolition Man']URL to Microsoft's 360 warranty please? I'm not seeing ANYTHING on XBox.com on any 360 warranty info (and believe me... I looked). I just want to know what exactly does Microsoft cover compared to CC's warranty and the cost between the two.[/QUOTE]

Paperwork comes in the 360 box. I believe it's either $50 or $60 for 2 years. Covers EVERYTHING. I'm picking one up as soon as I can afford it.

i say its true.. i got a TV off best buy and paid like 129 bucks for a 3 year warrenty on a 500 buck tv... the tv went out within the first 2 years... you figure 3 years at 130 is around 47 per year..... nope , as soon as you turn in the warrenty any time left is forfited.. meaning if you got the tv and it broke in a year you just lost the other 2 years.....

BUt here is a way around it... complain , complain complain... do not leave the store until they give you credit... I did this and i was able to get 50 bucks in a gift card back... the manager said they wasnt going to do it BUT since i was holding up the line they gave it to me

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Paperwork comes in the 360 box. I believe it's either $50 or $60 for 2 years. Covers EVERYTHING. I'm picking one up as soon as I can afford it.[/QUOTE]

I just Googled for it (duh why didn't I do that) and according to a thread on Gamespot's forums its $59.99 which isn't too bad. I'm assuming that with Microsoft's plan that they cover any shipping charges for sending the defective unit to them and the new one that I would be getting? Also is is a brand new unit they send you, or is it a refurbished one?

I hate to ask so many questions but I would like to know ALL my options.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I just Googled for it (duh why didn't I do that) and according to a thread on Gamespot's forums its $59.99 which isn't too bad. I'm assuming that with Microsoft's plan that they cover any shipping charges for sending the defective unit to them and the new one that I would be getting? Also is is a brand new unit they send you, or is it a refurbished one?

I hate to ask so many questions but I would like to know ALL my options.[/QUOTE]

Yep, shipping to and from will be paid for already. I'm not sure whether they repair it or just send a new one. As of late, they have sent out new units so that people get their systems back faster.

had the MS warranty and the dog chewed up my controller cable the part from the xbox to the controller. MS sent me that section for free under the extended warranty. no questions asked.. well I told them the truth and they said sure its covered This was for my original Xbox.

bread's done
Back