External Hard Drive Questions

TC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Any recommended external hard drives for use with the 60GB PS3? It's going to be used for playing videos. Just have some general questions and any feedback would be great.

5400 or 7200 RPM?

Any partition or file size limitations?

USB powered ok?

Particular brands work best?

Thanks!

Any old external HD will work as long as it's formatted in FAT32 and it's USB. But the files themselves are limited by FAT32 restrictions, which is 4GB per file (I think).

Speed shouldn't matter so a 5400 drive will be fine though a 7200RPM drive might be faster for transfering files. I've used a 5400RPM drive with no issues, even for HD mkv files.

Usb Powered is fine, no partition limitations, files yes. The Ext HDD needs to be in FAT32 not exFAT32 like Vista formats HDD's. Also, that means each file can be no larger than 4 gigs.

Appreciate the feedback thus far.

Should I bother going larger than 500GB? Not sure but I think Swiss Knife will only create up to 500GB partitions. I don't want to waste half a 1TB drive.

PS3 + Media server = Awesome
I have all my pictures, videos, music on the home server and can access it from my ps3, my 360, and my laptops....

[quote name='cavendano']PS3 + Media server = Awesome
I have all my pictures, videos, music on the home server and can access it from my ps3, my 360, and my laptops....[/QUOTE]

I've used TVersity media server in the past and it fairly worked well. I'm going the hard drive route to have backups to my video collection. That way if one of my drives craps out its not a total loss.

Just spend a few extra dollars and get an internal hard drive to store you movies on. Then you'll have no file size limits. I'm glad I finally did it. It's so much easier to just have the movies on the hard drive.

[quote name='TC']I've used TVersity media server in the past and it fairly worked well. I'm going the hard drive route to have backups to my video collection. That way if one of my drives craps out its not a total loss.[/QUOTE]

I meant a windows home server I bought one from newegg for 200 loaded it with videos, music, and pictures.

Ended up getting one of these. USB Powered & 1TB about the size of your wallet. Cleaned the WD software off and formatted it into one huge FAT32 partition. :D Tested and works perfect on everything.

bread's done
Back