External Hard Drive

I picked up a $25 external drive enclosure at CompUSA the other day, and I'm certain you could find any number of hard drives with the remaining cash at zipzoomfly. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Steer clear of Seagate drives. They have reliability issues.

I have a Seagate 160gb 7200rpm external hd. I've had it for about a year now and am always transfering/removing things from it. I've not a had a single problem with it. Seagate is getting a lot better with their relability recently.

[quote name='ZForce915']Steer clear of Seagate drives. They have reliability issues.[/quote]

You are high. Seagate has always been known for their high quality drives and tape backup systems. If you are buying a server you want Seagate and to a lesser extent Western Digitial. If it has Maxtor drives, I pray you have a good on-site parts replacement contract.

Maxtor: 1 year warranty
WD: 1 year warranty
Seagate: 5 year warranty

WD might have the title for the fastest PC drives but Seagate has the quality. Maxtor is crap imo, been burned a couple times by their cheap prices then the drive craps out in a couple months.

[quote name='Baylro']Maxtor: 1 year warranty
WD: 1 year warranty
Seagate: 5 year warranty

WD might have the title for the fastest PC drives but Seagate has the quality. Maxtor is crap imo, been burned a couple times by their cheap prices then the drive craps out in a couple months.[/QUOTE]

IMO Seagate had to start giving 5 year warranties because the reputation they were getting online for having HD lose data. And sure they'll replace your HD but they can't recover the data that was lost on it.

Retail Western Digital drives have a 3 year warranty if I remember correctly.

HDD reliability goes in a circle. So what is good today has a good chance of turning crappy in a few years.

bread's done
Back