External hard drives?

ssssss

CAGiversary!
Hey CAG,
I'm in the market for an external hard drive with a capacity anywhere from 100GB-300GB and thought this would be the best place to find a sufficient and cheap one If anybody has any recommendations for an external hard drive I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

You can probably find a Western Digital one cheap. I have a "MyBook" and it's a real lifesaver. I told my brother he should get one and he balked at the idea, then his computer took a dump and he lost all his wedding photos. Doh!

The cheapest route would be to find an enclosure, then just buy a SATA (or USB) drive to put inside. Format it and use it just like a regular internal drive. Does your case or mobo have a SATA port?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136173

I have the model revision prior to that. It's pretty nice.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']You can probably find a Western Digital one cheap. I have a "MyBook" and it's a real lifesaver. I told my brother he should get one and he balked at the idea, then his computer took a dump and he lost all his wedding photos. Doh!

The cheapest route would be to find an enclosure, then just buy a SATA (or USB) drive to put inside. Format it and use it just like a regular internal drive. Does your case or mobo have a SATA port?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136173

I have the model revision prior to that. It's pretty nice.[/QUOTE]
Hahah yeah, I've balked at that idea plenty of times and I've finally decided that its time.

I'm not sure if my case or motherboard has a SATA port. I think I want to use an external drive so I can efficiently transfer files between computers while storing them safely as well.

[quote name='Filler2001']You can get a MyPassport 320GB for about 80, and they are pretty portable[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the suggestion. After more research, I think I have narrowed it down to either this one (Toshiba 500 GB $99 Free Shipping) or this one (640 GB Western Digital $99.99 after $33 coupon from retailmenot).

Filler, is that the guy from Elbow in your signature? And your blog seems pretty cool- I love obscure music. Part of the beauty is the extensive search it took to find it.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']That's Adam Duritz from Counting Crows, I believe.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

[quote name='ssssss']
I'm not sure if my case or motherboard has a SATA port. I think I want to use an external drive so I can efficiently transfer files between computers while storing them safely as well.
[/QUOTE]

You'd still use an external drive, it would just use SATA instead of USB. After thinking about it though, I'd go with USB. Then if you take that drive to other peoples' houses, you'd be able to hook it up to their PC too, without having to worry if they had SATA support. Probably 99% of computers these days have at least a couple USB ports.

[quote name='ssssss']Hahah yeah, I've balked at that idea plenty of times and I've finally decided that its time.

Thanks for the suggestion. After more research, I think I have narrowed it down to either this one (Toshiba 500 GB $99 Free Shipping) or this one (640 GB Western Digital $99.99 after $33 coupon from retailmenot).

Filler, is that the guy from Elbow in your signature? And your blog seems pretty cool- I love obscure music. Part of the beauty is the extensive search it took to find it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the kind words! And yeah, it is Adam Duritz of the Crows.

Do research on durability, as that should be the deciding factor

[quote name='Snake2715']when Black friday?[/QUOTE]
The week after I think. They were in a weekly ad. The employees didn't know anything about them though.

If your going that small, I would say get one that is powered off the usb plug and does not need an external DC plug. Becomes less portable with that plug to lug around.

Working at Sam's Club, my opinion is to go there. Because of they store small electronics inside cages in front of the store, it's pretty easy for them to get lost back there and for nobody to buy them for a while. Especially if those little purchase tags/slips aren't out of the floor for whatever reason. Then they go on clearance and get pretty cheap after a while. I was able to get a 150GB WD for $20. Can't go wrong with that.

I have a Western Digital 500 and love it, but I've read many reviews where people say they fail after about 12-18 months after purchase. I've had mine for probably about a year and it's still going strong, but then again I use it for what it's intended for - storage. I'm wondering if the failures come from constant daily use. Then again, wouldn't the drives be basically the same as an internal drive, just different wiring for a USB connection. On an unrelated note, this is my first post on this site. Yay! I like it a lot so far :)

[quote name='radiojam']I have a Western Digital 500 and love it, but I've read many reviews where people say they fail after about 12-18 months after purchase. I've had mine for probably about a year and it's still going strong, but then again I use it for what it's intended for - storage. I'm wondering if the failures come from constant daily use. Then again, wouldn't the drives be basically the same as an internal drive, just different wiring for a USB connection. On an unrelated note, this is my first post on this site. Yay! I like it a lot so far :)[/QUOTE]

Dont worry this site will fail you as well... give it 12-18 months and you'll be spending more than your saving! Hey at least you'll have plenty of games.

bread's done
Back