External USB 2.0 Harddrives

BrolyB593

CAGiversary!
Feedback
206 (100%)
I am looking for an inexpensive external hard drive. I already have enough memory for my computer (~2.5TB) but I need another external for other reasons.

Either 250, 320 or 500 GB will do. I tried my Targets as I have seen them clearanced there quite often but I had no luck this time.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I was about to jump right on that deal until I read so many terrible reviews saying how theirs have failed. Thank you guys, but I think I will pass on that specific unit.

Is there any other similar deals to this?

If you have excess internal hard drive space, have you considered pulling out one of your internal drives and putting it into an enclosure?

I have thought of that, but I am greedy and would not want to take any out. Haha. All of that data is reserved for my computer though, whereas this external is for my Wii.

I think I have cracked anyways and think I will just pick up the WD 1TB on sale for $100 with a $10 GC from Target. So technically $100 with tax and I have it that second. I will just replace this 1TB with my current 500GB external and just wipe that one and have the 500GB for my game backups.

...Unless an even better deal comes around of course.. haha

Well I would have taken the Seagate, but I do not have paypal and what not to buy from ejunkie, so the 1TB from target with cash seems easier, plus all of our WDs have worked fine so I have no negative experience with them.

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but i figured it was relevant. i recnetly bought a 1tb Western Digital EXT HDD and it plays and reads everything perfectly fine from the HDD, but when I try to copy something from the EXT back onto my computer, it gets to about 10% and fails. Is there some way to fix this? I defragged the drive and it's still messed up.

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']If i were you i'd rather get a portable hdd over an external. Same functions, more uses and easier to take with ya if ya need to.[/QUOTE]what do you mean by portable hdd over an external? do you mean a laptop 2.5" vs a desktop 3.5"?

[quote name='lt_homer']I dont mean to hijack the thread, but i figured it was relevant. i recnetly bought a 1tb Western Digital EXT HDD and it plays and reads everything perfectly fine from the HDD, but when I try to copy something from the EXT back onto my computer, it gets to about 10% and fails. Is there some way to fix this? I defragged the drive and it's still messed up.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried many different types of files? Does it even do this with a small word document?

On the previous discussion, my WD enclosure just broke on me (the usb port broke off), but that wouldn't stop me from buying another one of their drives .

I have consistently heard bad things about Maxtor.

[quote name='banpeikun']what do you mean by portable hdd over an external? do you mean a laptop 2.5" vs a desktop 3.5"?[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking he meant - an external 2.5" hard drive (no power source required), which can run up to twice the cost of a comparable 3.5" hard drive. Although, I don't understand how a 2.5" can have "more uses" than a 3.5".

I also need a new external HDD.

Unlike the OP, I'd like to get a high capacity one for a good price. I've already filled up the last one I bought - a WD My Book 640GB for $70 on Black Friday last year.

I go to college and mainly use my laptop, so I'd need an external HDD. Any suggestions on what the best value is? Fantom?

[quote name='kube00']Actually you shouldn't have to worry about Seagate, I would be more concerned about Western Digital.[/QUOTE]

exactly. seagate drives have been very good to me. i own a 320GB seagate external, and a 500GB Freeagent Go and want to purchase a 3rd seagate drive. Trust them more than WD drives, and they seem to be faster too.

The main advice I have is *don't* buy a LaCie drive. Over the last few years, we've had several LaCie external HDDs and NAS devices fail on us at work, to the point that we refuse to buy anything LaCie branded now. LaCie used to be a reliable brand in the past (we used several at my previous job with no trouble), but their more recent storage devices seem to be total crap. :whistle2:/

Personally, I concur with the above votes for Seagate. Western-Digital and Maxtor (at least the recent Maxtor drives) have been pretty good as well, but I still prefer to buy a Seagate if the price is similar enough.

[quote name='Blade']I also need a new external HDD.

Unlike the OP, I'd like to get a high capacity one for a good price. I've already filled up the last one I bought - a WD My Book 640GB for $70 on Black Friday last year.

I go to college and mainly use my laptop, so I'd need an external HDD. Any suggestions on what the best value is? Fantom?[/QUOTE]

Staples has a 750GB external Seagate for $70 + tax.

Avoid Western Digital like the plague. I work in I.T. and all the externals we've had over the last year have failed.

[quote name='banpeikun']what do you mean by portable hdd over an external? do you mean a laptop 2.5" vs a desktop 3.5"?[/QUOTE]

I mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...K3MQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1248726818&sr=8-3

It has a usb cable attached to it, and it can be used damn near anywhere that has a usb port. I use mine in my computer, in my ps3, in my home theater, in my tv, so on and so forth. I have a western digital 160gb which i've had for about 5 years now, and it has worked like a charm ever since i got it. And it's so nice to be able to stick it in my pocket and take it with me wherever i go.

[quote name='caedeskhan']There are some legitimate multi-use $20 off $100 coupons on slickdeals, but otherwise try ebay or ejunkie.[/QUOTE]

thanks. will do.

im 95% im going to get a $25 off $75 and jump on the 750GB Seagate. But question. Can I use this out the box with my game console? Or will I have to format it to FAT32 before hand like I had to with my FreeAgent Go???

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']If ya get a portable, like i suggested, it's already formatted in fat32.[/QUOTE]

The WD passport portable. i believe so. and thats nice since they seems to be cheaper than freeagent go(another portable) but Freeagent drives are NTFS 99% of the time.

i might pick that up later to be pared with my freeagent go., but i need a new "main" drive (over 500GB) since im getting rid of my original FreeAgent Desktop.

I'm actually looking for a portal hard drive myself, probably somewhere in the 320 - 500 gb range? price range I guess is around $80.

I've only looked around at amazon, and I've noticed they have toshiba ones, anyone used those before?

I just got a Simple View 1TB HD for 79.99 on sale from 99.99 at Fry's in store. The company is owned by Hitachi which are supposed to be good.

I think amazon.com has 320GB one for 82.99 with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/SimpleTech-Hi...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263682884&sr=8-24

Or you can get the 320GB mini version (USB powered I believe) for 64.97 with possible free shipping at TigerDirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4853012&CatId=4225

bread's done
Back