Extra 25% off ALL EA STORE/ORIGIN GAMES - $20 EA Games Card @ GameStop for $15!

Slim Gatsby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
96 (97%)
It was briefly mentioned in the Origin Sale thread as being YMMV, but I confirmed that GameStop carries $20 EA Game Cards and there is in-store signage for a $15 sale price through 4/1. I have not redeemed mine yet, but they state that they are good for any downloadable games on Origin, more info is at http://www.eacashcard.com

I'm planning on using this to purchase Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, and some other Origin games that I've been eyeing.

EDIT: It looks like these can be used for physical games as well, and this is a great way to take advantage of the sale while using the GS credit many of us have amassed recently.

EDIT, 2: Some people have reported having trouble using a combination of EA credit and a credit/debit card for their transaction. So far, it looks like you can do this, but it must be split into two orders. Place one using just credit, and then you'll be able to place a second order using both credit and a credit card without any errors. I don't know why it works, but it just does.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gacktplays']I've redeemed them, they show up in my EA Account Balance, the problem is I can't seem to use my credit card to pay for the difference in total and won't allow me to complete the purchase because of this.[/QUOTE]

Same thing is happening to me, I have $60 on my account and my total is $63.58 and it won't let me add my credit card to pay the difference.

[quote name='atc250es']Same thing is happening to me, I have $60 on my account and my total is $63.58 and it won't let me add my credit card to pay the difference.[/QUOTE]
If someone knows how to solve this, please post.

[quote name='akir']damnit I just spent all my GS credit last week. had 90 from 3 batmans too!! ugh[/QUOTE]

How does this add to the conversation? I never understand posts like this. All they do is add noise to a forum.

[quote name='RainFall']How does this add to the conversation? I never understand posts like this. All they do is add noise to a forum.[/QUOTE]It doesn't and you're soon going to find out that neither does yours nor mine right here since we are going "off-topic". What you will soon find out is that a mod will come in and delete all of our posts that went off-topic instead of them editing our posts to show that there was a break in the thread.

There are some people around here that love to tell us about their daily "adventures" and what's going on in their heads while the rest of us want to stay on-topic and if you call them out, they'll say you're a jerk because they would rather post on here than write in a personal journal.

[quote name='RainFall']How does this add to the conversation? I never understand posts like this. All they do is add noise to a forum.[/QUOTE]

So what? It's not like he's trying to hijack the thread - your comment is a lot more likely to do that than his.

[quote name='atc250es']Same thing is happening to me, I have $60 on my account and my total is $63.58 and it won't let me add my credit card to pay the difference.[/QUOTE]

Same problem here too. Frustrating as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me make sure I got this straight ...

I can go to Gamestop and buy the $20 EA card for $15 (hopefully they don't charge tax) and use that card to buy say Sims 3 Late Night that's currently on sale on Origin for $19.99 and use that card as payment?

[quote name='MSUHitman']So let me make sure I got this straight ...

I can go to Gamestop and buy the $20 EA card for $15 (hopefully they don't charge tax) and use that card to buy say Sims 3 Late Night that's currently on sale on Origin for $19.99 and use that card as payment?[/QUOTE]

I don't suggest it. I was thinking the same thing, so I bought 2 game cards at Gamestop for 30 bucks. I activated the game cards onto my account, so it now had 40 dollars credited to it. I tried to buy SSX, which after tax was 43 dollars. It wouldn't let me pay off that additional 3 dollars with my credit card, and I've been on hold with EA support for over a half hour.

Damn, from all the problems I'm reading I'm glad I only bought PC downloads from Origin. They seem to have their act together when it comes to that but it must suck for people buying physical items from them.

Not even sure why they would charge you guys tax, EA doesn't have any physical stores or presence AFAIK anywhere. Hopefully you can get it resolved.

[quote name='Mugatu']Damn, from all the problems I'm reading I'm glad I only bought PC downloads from Origin. They seem to have their act together when it comes to that but it must suck for people buying physical items from them.

Not even sure why they would charge you guys tax, EA doesn't have any physical stores or presence AFAIK anywhere. Hopefully you can get it resolved.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I think New York (where I live) requires online retailers to still charge tax. I've always been charged tax for online purchases, but I've never had a problem like this before.

I guess people are just going to have to buy another $20 card for $15, which sucks because you will them have an extra balance, which apparently can only be used if you spend less than said balance.

Origin... :wall:

I just got off the phone with customer support, they couldn't do anything. The guy tried everything, but absolutely nothing worked. Looks like I'll either have to go out and get another card or just have 40 bucks sit on my account. :l

Last time I use Origin.

Same problem. I was told last night that a split payment was not possible and that I either had to buy more or less to solve the issue. The rep also told me that I could have a 15% discount but he had no discount code in his database.

[quote name='chrrwill']Same problem. I was told last night that a split payment was not possible and that I either had to buy more or less to solve the issue. The rep also told me that I could have a 15% discount but he had no discount code in his database.[/QUOTE]

This makes no sense, do they expect us to use EXACTLY what our card value is and just let the raining balance die? ...and they want origin to succeed. :roll:

[quote name='Montymonster']Yea, I think New York (where I live) requires online retailers to still charge tax. I've always been charged tax for online purchases, but I've never had a problem like this before.[/QUOTE]

I got taxed on my Origin purchase, but I'm never taxed by Steam.

fucking EA.

[quote name='chrrwill']Same problem. I was told last night that a split payment was not possible and that I either had to buy more or less to solve the issue. The rep also told me that I could have a 15% discount but he had no discount code in his database.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about that, the discount code doesn't apply to any of the things on sale anyways. :roll:

whats ironic is i placed an order for 1 game with an ea account balance of 4.75, was prompted to add a credit card, and lo and behold the split payment went through. fucking shady ea, fucking shady.

Yeah...but either way it is kind of a rip. Go under $40 and pay the difference in shipping charges or go buy another card, add another item, and still have a balance under $10 that I can't use. And all because I can't pay a difference of $2.77 on my credit card.

[quote name='technicalstylez']whats ironic is i placed an order for 1 game with an ea account balance of 4.75, was prompted to add a credit card, and lo and behold the split payment went through. fucking shady ea, fucking shady.[/QUOTE]

Did you do this work for you today, or was this an order in the past?

[quote name='chrrwill']Yeah...but either way it is kind of a rip. Go under $40 and pay the difference in shipping charges or go buy another card, add another item, and still have a balance under $10 that I can't use. And all because I can't pay a difference of $2.77 on my credit card.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it has to do with a minimum charge to allow for the credit card. I know stores do this because of the fees at least. Can you put in how much of your credit you want to enter and then try a difference of $5?

not sure about today but last night I was able to purchase Battlefield 3 & Shadows of the Damned for $44.98 and was able to apply a split payment of the two $20 EA cards and my credit card for the remaining balance + tax.

Not sure why it's not working now for people - wonder if EA did something?

it was right after my first order of 2 games. for fun i checked out with just 1 game and it split the payment fine. no clue why. never buying from ea origin again.

[quote name='Montymonster']Did you do this work for you today, or was this an order in the past?[/QUOTE]

I thought that too, but part of the problem is that once it starts trying to use the ea credit, it will not take credit cards without logging out.

Oh well...it's not all bad. I was just trying to save a few bucks. I'll play by their rules and order less. At least I walked away with the knowledge that I am not going to use origin again.

I've got a question.

I just bought ME2 on PS3 today at Gamestop, if I order it through Origin I could just return that copy to Gamestop right?
I needed to do a play through again before I play ME3 so I already opened the Gamestop copy

Is there a expire date on the balance of Origin accounts? I bought the card, but there is no expire date on the card.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']I've got a question.

I just bought ME2 on PS3 today at Gamestop, if I order it through Origin I could just return that copy to Gamestop right?
I needed to do a play through again before I play ME3 so I already opened the Gamestop copy[/QUOTE]

You have 30 days to return new game so I guess you could

[quote name='mrclutch']When does the origin 50% off store end?[/QUOTE]

Says through 3/19 so I would guess sometime tomorrow or maybe all day tomorrow, not really sure.

[quote name='Mugatu']Says through 3/19 so I would guess sometime tomorrow or maybe all day tomorrow, not really sure.[/QUOTE]

^ This is what I was wondering. I wanted to chat with a CSR but apparently you have to be logged in and everytime I log in a huge ERROR message pops up.

I just want to make sure it is at least live until tomorrow afternoon.

Is everyone being charged for shipping? I'm trying to buy battlefield 3 but I'm getting charged for shipping. I thought it was free.

EDIT: Just kidding, my order is 39.98, not 39.99. FML

[quote name='Saablic']I wonder if it has to do with a minimum charge to allow for the credit card. I know stores do this because of the fees at least. Can you put in how much of your credit you want to enter and then try a difference of $5?[/QUOTE]

I just tried this by adding a 15 dollar game to my order, still no dice. Good idea though, it was worth a shot!

Tried to get BF3 PC physical copy and karkand, but I had the same problem as others with not being able to pay with my credit card as well. So I settled for the download version. Origin is a real pain in the ass.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']I've got a question.

I needed to do a play through again before I play ME3 so I already opened the Gamestop copy[/QUOTE]

If it was a new sealed copy and you opened it then no, you will not be ale to return it unless it doesn't work. This is the case at any retailer. If you state it doesn't work, they (GameStop) will test it out right then and there.

[quote name='HydroX']If it was a new sealed copy and you opened it then no, you will not be ale to return it unless it doesn't work. This is the case at any retailer. If you state it doesn't work, they (GameStop) will test it out right then and there.[/QUOTE]
I meant return the sealed copy from Origin. As long as it has no extra stickers on the shrinkwrap then I should be okay.

[quote name='espionage']not sure about today but last night I was able to purchase Battlefield 3 & Shadows of the Damned for $44.98 and was able to apply a split payment of the two $20 EA cards and my credit card for the remaining balance + tax.

Not sure why it's not working now for people - wonder if EA did something?[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the problem is....

I had 5 items that totaled about $150.

I had $100 in my EA Account Balance

When I got all the way to checkout it looked like EA was going to correctly split the total ( ~ $150) across my EA Account Balance ($100) and my Credit Card ($50)

However when I went to finalize my payment I was told they could not verify the credit card. I know that everything was entered correctly so I tried a second card and had the same problem.

I went back and just put three items in my cart with a value of ~ $90 and it used the EA balance and left me with a remainder of $10.

Is this what other peole are experiencing?

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I got taxed on my Origin purchase, but I'm never taxed by Steam.

fucking EA.[/QUOTE]

And why exactly is that EA's fault? Are you not familiar with tax laws at all?

[quote name='GBAstar']I don't know what the problem is....

I had 5 items that totaled about $150.

I had $100 in my EA Account Balance

When I got all the way to checkout it looked like EA was going to correctly split the total ( ~ $150) across my EA Account Balance ($100) and my Credit Card ($50)

However when I went to finalize my payment I was told they could not verify the credit card. I know that everything was entered correctly so I tried a second card and had the same problem.

I went back and just put three items in my cart with a value of ~ $90 and it used the EA balance and left me with a remainder of $10.

Is this what other peole are experiencing?[/QUOTE]

Yup...happened to me too. I had to go get more cards today.

[quote name='Toss']Yup...happened to me too. I had to go get more cards today.[/QUOTE]

So... if you have any type of balance you can't make a purchase with a credit card?

What happens if you have a balance of $0.27 or something stupid. I couldn't even find an option to not use my balance and just use a credit card.

I guess I could open a second account

hey guys, i was having the same problem. I kinda have a solution..if you want free shipping your gonna have to split your orders into at least 39.99 each. I had 100 dollars in my account, so what i did was i made 2 separate orders of 52.95. It's weird it won't let you use your credit card on your first order, it just takes you back to the page and says you don't have enough credit if you do 1 big order like i had an order for 105.90 but only 100 in credit. So if you split them...after you make your first order and it deducts from your ea balance. The second time you make an order the credit option will work. You'll notice on the last page before you submit your order it'll say something like 30 dollar deducted from your ea balance and 17 from your credit card.. that's the only way i got it to work without leaving some left over credit in my account. Just make sure to make the total greater than 39.99 in order to get free shipping.

Also, according to their terms of use, ea balance has to be used first before your credit card, so for those looking for the option of "not" using it, stop looking because it doesn't exist lol

[quote name='srac84']hey guys, i was having the same problem. I kinda have a solution..if you want free shipping your gonna have to split your orders into at least 39.99 each. I had 100 dollars in my account, so what i did was i made 2 separate orders of 52.95. It's weird it won't let you use your credit card on your first order, it just takes you back to the page and says you don't have enough credit if you do 1 big order like i had an order for 105.90 but only 100 in credit. So if you split them...after you make your first order and it deducts from your ea balance. The second time you make an order the credit option will work. You'll notice on the last page before you submit your order it'll say something like 30 dollar deducted from your ea balance and 17 from your credit card.. that's the only way i got it to work without leaving some left over credit in my account. Just make sure to make the total greater than 39.99 in order to get free shipping.

Also, according to their terms of use, ea balance has to be used first before your credit card, so for those looking for the option of "not" using it, stop looking because it doesn't exist lol[/QUOTE]

Great info, hopefully the sale is still going on tomorrow and I can do this. I have $17.49 left on my account because I had to purchase something I didn't want as much.

[quote name='srac84']Also, according to their terms of use, ea balance has to be used first before your credit card, so for those looking for the option of "not" using it, stop looking because it doesn't exist lol[/QUOTE]

Well then something is fucked up if you can't pay with a cc after you exceed your balance. lol

you can, just after you make your first order.. you can use your credit card to pay for the difference on the 2nd order..at least with me thats what worked, its stupid but what can you do...its that or lose your balance..

I had no problem paying the difference with my credit card. Maybe you guys are having an issue with credit card security? In the past, Bank of America has called me to verify online purchases.

[quote name='gunstar808']I had no problem paying the difference with my credit card. Maybe you guys are having an issue with credit card security? In the past, Bank of America has called me to verify online purchases.[/QUOTE]

I know that's not the reason why my order wouldn't process. I used a PayPal backed Debit Card with a daily spending limit of $5,000.

I have never had a transasction not process like that and that includes several at the EA store.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']I meant return the sealed copy from Origin. As long as it has no extra stickers on the shrinkwrap then I should be okay.[/QUOTE]

Should be ok as long as the UPC/SKUs are the same. Had an issue were Fear3 from Amazon was different from Fear3 TRU. I had the same exact game/platform, but the UPC/SKUs were different.

[quote name='GBAstar']I know that's not the reason why my order wouldn't process. I used a PayPal backed Debit Card with a daily spending limit of $5,000.

I have never had a transasction not process like that and that includes several at the EA store.[/QUOTE]

I've been in a live-chat with a representative for a while now...tried clearing cache, different browsers etc typical troubleshooting stuff - no dice. I tried explaining it's probably a problem with the system since seems to be based on total amount of order...Am told to wait while they look into the issue. I'll update later, hopefully they'll fix this...

This is strange, I added Battlefield 3 to the cart ($29.99) and the total price was $32.50 counting shipping so I was wondering, what if I added Mass Effect 2 which was $9.99 so I tried and the price total then was $39.98 with $0.00 on shipping and tax and my balance was $40.00 so I got them both leaving 2 cents on my account. I thought I would get more than $40.00 for both and wouldn't be able to get them both. Weird, guess I got lucky about the shipping part. Maybe it discounted shipping because the total price was over $40.00 plus shipping, so I didn't have to add credit card. Now, it's wait 'till they ship. :cold:

bread's done
Back