Extras: The Complete Series DVD - $17.49

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']Have you heard of the BBC show Sherlock? I'm sure you'd get a kick of how they do it![/QUOTE]

huh? What does Sherlock have to do with this?

This show was brilliant. I got ripped for it a while back for around $40 at Best Buy. That was before I became a deal hunter. This is a perfect price for it.

And all of Gervais' works are short. He doesn't go past 2 seasons with any of his shows.

Considering the price of the individual seasons and the fact that I believe this is the only way to get the Christmas special, this is a steal. I bought it for $35 when it came out and highly recommend it.

[quote name='ssjmichael']huh? What does Sherlock have to do with this?[/QUOTE]

BBC Sherlock Season 1 has a whopping 3 episodes. I believe that's what he's referring to.

[quote name='WingsDJY']BBC Sherlock Season 1 has a whopping 3 episodes. I believe that's what he's referring to.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of that, but each episode is roughly 90 minutes long . I don't see how that is relevant at all to what I said. Unless he's just assuming I'm looking at it from a episode:cost ratio, which would be silly. Or perhaps he doesn't know the length of those 3 sherlock episodes? If these were 13 hour long episodes, then I can certainly see it being a good value at $25-30, but with 13 30-minute episodes on DVD, it shouldn't be more than $20.

IDK, I checked BB.com for this and its 50 cents cheaper there, but each season is $20..crazy

seen the boxs for this show forever, but never watched, hell, don't even know what network it was on. I can only stand british accents for 30 mins before I can't watch anymore..although I did make it thru Invention of Lying, but probably b/c of Jennifer Garner..

BBC DVDs are always expensive, but they're usually cheaper to import if you have a region-free player.

The reason they're expensive, in general, is due to the fact that the BBC is a partially government funded, non-profit organization (should I have used an 's' for that word?) so all of their profit goes into developing new programming... so they try to make a pretty good profit, in general.

I might have to pass on Extras, atm, but I've been thinking about starting a collection of classic Doctor Who DVDs... but, WOW, those are quite an investment. Usually 4-6 episodes for $15-25!? And they're not much better in price from Amazon.co.uk...

...maybe when I'm rich!

Also, token2k6, you can't stand British accents for more than half an hour!? Xenophobia, much? I'm sure there are a lot of people who can't stand all different kinds of southern accents, too... but you usually don't see them whining about it! Also, you're missing out on a lot of REALLY good TV, btw.

I'm curious, which British dialect bothers you more: general London or Cockney? There are tons of others, just so you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair I can't stand Southern accents for more than five minutes without laughing...

This seems like a nice deal. I love that scene where Patrick Stewart reveals himself as a pervert.

[quote name='larrythefatcat']Also, token2k6, you can't stand British accents for more than half an hour!? Xenophobia, much? I'm sure there are a lot of people who can't stand all different kinds of southern accents, too... but you usually don't see them whining about it! Also, you're missing out on a lot of REALLY good TV, btw.

I'm curious, which British dialect bothers you more: general London or Cockney? There are tons of others, just so you know.[/QUOTE]

lol, I have no idea, its just anything foreign really. Don't mean any offense to different part of the world 'dialects' or whatever, just hard to sit thru and make sense, like even Brad Pitt in LS&2SB what the hell was he saying? or like a film with subtitles..

but yeah, this has intrigued me, and its not on Netflix streaming, so I may check it out. Always a sucker for cheap series :)

[quote name='token2k6']lol, I have no idea, its just anything foreign really. Don't mean any offense to different part of the world 'dialects' or whatever, just hard to sit thru and make sense, like even Brad Pitt in LS&2SB what the hell was he saying? or like a film with subtitles..
[/QUOTE]

Hahahahah, well you do realize that Brad Pitt's character in Snatch was intentionally impossible to understand, right? Anyway, you get used to it. I used to have a hard time understanding English accents, but trust us, it's sooooo worth it to just get used to it. I'm constantly telling my girlfriend who has less experience with British television what a character just said, as it's very easy to understand for me now.

This show is great. Great deal.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Stephen Merchant is hilarious in the show as well.[/QUOTE]

I love Ricky Gervais but Stephen Merchant is more funnier. That said, Karl Pilkington is leagues above both of them.

[quote name='Aerc']I love Ricky Gervais but Stephen Merchant is more funnier. That said, Karl Pilkington is leagues above both of them.[/QUOTE]

Oh stop it! Gervais is simply the best comedian ever!

I don't think Merchant is that funny, never saw his standup, but he is funny in some of Gervais work. Yes, Karl is hilarious.

bread's done
Back