Extreme YMMV: TRU Xbox One Games $0.02

DaddyBoJangles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Last night during my shift at TRU my manager had a bunch of Xbox One launch games pulled aside to "look into" For whatever reason the vanilla versions of

Ryse

Dead Rising 3

Forza 5

are ringing up for $0.02 in the system. He obviously wouldn't let me buy them, and I'm not sure if its a glitch in our system or if its company wide. Their website still lists these titles for their original or sale price. 

I'm going to stop by TRU on my way home from work. If they have any I'll grab whatever I can, if anyone really wants (as in to own and play) I would be willing to ship any extras out if anyone wants to pay for shipping. Otherwise I will be trading them in for credit, chances are I'll find nothing though. :wall:
I would love a copy of Forza 5.

I went to a TRU here in Hurst, Texas and they had all new versions. Bunch of Luigi Amiibos though!

Just came back from my nearest TRU and they only had the new versions of the game.

I'm going to stop by TRU on my way home from work. If they have any I'll grab whatever I can, if anyone really wants (as in to own and play) I would be willing to ship any extras out if anyone wants to pay for shipping. Otherwise I will be trading them in for credit, chances are I'll find nothing though. :wall:
If you happen to grab an extra copy of Ryse or DR3, I'll gladly pay to take it off your hands.

I am going to try this too..the TRU is right across the BB & I have to go to BB anyways. If i get lucky, you will definitely hear more. Mostly, you wont hear from me again lol

Products always get "pennied" out. They are not supposed to be sold when that happened. I guarantee if the system even allows the sale, the person that sold it or in charge will be fired. This thread is kinda like making a thread for GameStop dumpster diving

Er, I dont want that on my conscience...if this is true, fuk the 2cents game, I can live without it.
I seriously doubt anyone would get fired unless they kept selling them past the initial discovery. At most one person will get it and the rest will be pulled instantly. Pricing mistake is the fault of whoever set the price in the system, and I don't think we ever received anything telling us to pull them at our store.

Products always get "pennied" out. They are not supposed to be sold when that happened. I guarantee if the system even allows the sale, the person that sold it or in charge will be fired. This thread is kinda like making a thread for GameStop dumpster diving
Ignore this. They don't get fired for it. This guy is just trying to make yall that got it feel guilty because he didn't.

I seriously doubt anyone would get fired unless they kept selling them past the initial discovery. At most one person will get it and the rest will be pulled instantly. Pricing mistake is the fault of whoever set the price in the system, and I don't think we ever received anything telling us to pull them at our store.
Its not a price mistake.

Ignore this. They don't get fired for it. This guy is just trying to make yall that got it feel guilty because he didn't.
I am now standing in the middle of the street, reading the posts and undecided whether or not I should go to TRU...I may be run over by something pretty soon, so can all of you guys make up your and my mind please? lol ( j/k, of course )

You aren't going to fuck anyone over, but I seriously doubt even 1% of stores will have these games out still. It's a waste of time and gas unless you want to risk calling ahead and hoping they don't notice the price.

And even then they have every right to refuse the sale. No store is legally bound to sell you anything, despite what some people think.

Success, I got 2 Ryse for $0.04. No Forza or Dead Rising 3 at my store. The cashier didn't even second guess the price when it ring up for $0.02. Should make a great surprise gift for a friend next week who just got the XBox One last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Success, I got 2 Ryse for $0.04. No Forza or Dead Rising 3 at my store. The cashier didn't even second guess the price when it ring up for $0.02. Should make a great surprise gift for a friend next week who just got the XBox One last month.
Do they say legendary edition on them?

No, it was the standard edition. My local store had both the regular and Legendary edition and I only tried the standard edition.

Grabbed Ryse in Mission Viejo CA, manager honored the price but said he was pulling the title. Only game they had.

Seriously. I will never understand that shit.
Thats why you dont run a multi million/billion dollar company. No matter how stupid something seems when it comes to stuff like that there is a reason behind it and that reason relates to making money.

No go at mine. My Toys R Us still has their game display where you take the paper slip of a game up at the register, and then they get the game out of the security room. The paper slip didn't specify if Ryse and DR3 were vanilla or not, but they must have been Apocolypse/Legendary since they didn't ring.

Oh well

Time goes slow when you are at work and there is a sale 10 miles away, i noticed. By the time I get out, even the remotest TRU will have figured out the deal, closed the shop (on the deal) and be ready with popcorn/soda to sit and watch me be disappointed. :)

Thats why you dont run a multi million/billion dollar company. No matter how stupid something seems when it comes to stuff like that there is a reason behind it and that reason relates to making money.
This, nobody makes money on a penny item. The store actually loses money because of shelf space. Vs the same uninformed customer going in to buy a much higher priced new edition.

There are a few other possibilities regarding the games being "destroyed". They may actually not be destroyed but sent back to the manufacturer where they may recycle some of that...precious material to generate and package other games. We call that "reverse logistics" in supply chain management. 

Considering the US' tax laws, I wouldn't be surprised to find a tax credit for a certain amount of recycling an organization does...or maybe marking a loss on financial statements. If I knew tax law I wouldn't even be on this message board that's for sure.

Sorry for geekin' out there. I'm trying to use my college education for something.

Oh, and I think I'm going to stick to Sears...

When I worked for TRU, there were so many things that were tossed into the compactor, the worst being the OG Xbox display (TV, console and big metal display stand).  I practically begged them to let me take it, but no, it was destroyed.

I used to know friends that would somehow get into the compactors to retrieve stuff. Not sure how but they would always find interesting items.

Wouldn't sell and took them all down. What can you do.

TIV Best Buy Gamestop Walmart Target Amazon

Ryse                              $5           $5             $7.79      $5.60  N/A

Dead Rising 3                $3           $6             $11.48    $6.96  $11.82

Forza 5                          $7           $7             $12.91    $8.27  $10.49

Once again Walmart seems to have the highest values with Amazon next which is strange since it is usually Walmart, Gamestop, Bestbuy, Amazon then Target.

I picked up dead rising 3 at the City of Industry store. there appeared to be another copy of it available mixed in with the apocalypse edition.
I also saw copies of ryse available.

I guess I can stop by and see if they have any copies mentioned. Highly doubtful, but this would bug me if I didn't check. 

Also, it's been about a year since I was last in a TRU, but I am pretty sure my local one only has the paper slips you bring to the register - which is highly unfortunate, especially in this situation. 

Just left they had about 15 copies of Ryse and none of the other two. I asked if I could get 2, after they rang up for 0.02 the guy was so confused and asked s coworker who said those weren't supposed to be out. They let me buy those two but took all the others off.

Stopped at two stores in the indy area and couldn't find anything. Did find $50 amazon cards which i was going to transfer credit to but when the lady rang it up the system wouldn't sell it, and a manager on the radio said they were taken out of the system.

The .02 games are meant to be destroyed. If they are .03 that means they are meant to be donated to charity. They are simply going to throw these games in a compactor and say sayonara. The started this program about 3 months ago.

Nobody is going to get fired for selling these items. These games are not the only thing on their lists. They may receive an email showing that they had sold some items. But, that is only an indication that their district manager knows they have not completed the project yet.

Persistence! Got 2 copies of Ryse at my second store.

Thought fk it, and back tracked like 6 blocks on my way home.

They were behind the Legendary version, like others have posted. There were like 3 more, and I wanted em all, but restraint and better judgement took over. Bought a Ghosts with it and donated $3 to Toys for Tots. Kid did not say one word, but he was definitely puzzled.

I guess I can stop by and see if they have any copies mentioned. Highly doubtful, but this would bug me if I didn't check.

Also, it's been about a year since I was last in a TRU, but I am pretty sure my local one only has the paper slips you bring to the register - which is highly unfortunate, especially in this situation.
Heh, hate to bump my own post and toot my own horn, but this actually worked in my favor. The lady gave me Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition and Ryse: Legendary Edition after I gave the cashier the two paper tickets.

I told the lady about the mixup, but in the end I don't think she wanted to mess with going back to the stockroom since it was so busy, so she just let me have them.

Thanks OP!

Ah yeah always pays to check CAG before heading out to TRU-wish me luck!
Protip: Check CAG every milli-second of the day. No telling when shit hit the fan and you have to catch it.

The .02 games are meant to be destroyed. If they are .03 that means they are meant to be donated to charity. They are simply going to throw these games in a compactor and say sayonara. The started this program about 3 months ago.

Nobody is going to get fired for selling these items. These games are not the only thing on their lists. They may receive an email showing that they had sold some items. But, that is only an indication that their district manager knows they have not completed the project yet.
Thanks for the insight. One time I bought a Mega Bloks Skylanders Swap Force three pack a month ago and it came out as $0.03 at checkout, I was wondering why it came out like that. Cashier didn't bother with me as I bought a $40 Transformers Leader Class Jetfire to go with it.

bread's done
Back