F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Gen. Discussion & Info - Demo Now On XBLM

Whispering_Mute

CAG Veteran
Seeing as I don't have a Gold Account, I was curious what were some of the thoughts about the F.E.A.R. 2 demo that's in the marketplace now.

Amazing. Thought it was 100% better then F.E.A.R. Actually a scary game too (didn't think Condemned, 2 :Bloodshot , or F.E.A.R were even scary.) Kinda meh on the mech and the flashlight was kinda giving me a headache when it was flickering though.

I was already planning to get this on release, and this demo solidified that. This game seems like a huge improvement over the first (which I enjoyed very much).

And even though I played the first on PC, this sequel seems to work great on the 360 so I'll be getting it for that.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Just started trying the demo. I'm BUYING IT![/quote]

i finished downloading, and started watching tv and surfing the web
but i think i am going to check it out now after reading that lol

i loved the first fear but after all the expansions just rehashing the same stuff i got a little turned off by it
hopefully this one will be different...
i will post back here with my conclusion in a few minutes

[quote name='VipFREAK']Damn I might be playing this and setting aside Killzone 2!

Comes out the end of the week right!?!?[/quote]

February 10.

I liked the first FEAR enough, it was pretty alright. I hated FEAR Files. I'll give this a try.

that was a great demo, showed a lot of the new gameplay elements they have added (mechs ^_^) and also a lot of the new environments and weapons.

that first school part was pretty intense with that strobe light lol

i liked that it felt like playing through a horror movie, and i also liked how you start out exactly where the first fear ended

I heard that there was a PC demo, so I downloaded that instead. It ran beautifully, except it stuttered a few times—where the game would pause for half a second and then continue as normal—which might be because I haven't defragmented in a while, but who knows.

Now onto the game.

Holy shit!

I was expecting a game on par with the first game, but FEAR 2 exceeds in all areas.

They definitely got the scary parts down. FEAR, Condemned, and Condemned 2 had some jumpy parts, but it seems like Monolith has learned a lot from the past games on how to scare.

One of the most fucked up parts was the
hallway in the school. I was flipping out! The lights are going on and off rapidly, yellow ethereal beings were attacking me and I just got so confused, but in a holy shit I am fucked, good way.

The other freaky part was in the blown out movie theater. I was thinking to myself, "Alright I know how this is going to play out. I am going to get near the opening where the screen would of been and my guy is going to freak out." Just like I thought my guy starts seeing stuff. I was thinking that that was not so bad, it definitely could of been wor...holy shit what the fuck just grabbed me!

The whole package seems really polished, in a way that FEAR 1 was not. I cannot wait to check out the full version of this later.

wow. im really suprised by the gushing. i dl'd it off psn. im going to go give it a run through now.
i hope i think its as great as most of you do.

ill report my thoughts shortly.

I love this demo and I didn't care for the first game at all. I hope the multiplayer is as improved as the single player was from what I have seen on the demo. I love using the sniper rifle and slowing down time to get the perfect head shot. But I would think they wouldn't have the slow mow mode online.

[quote name='Razzuel']
One of the most fucked up parts was the
hallway in the school. I was flipping out! The lights are going on and off rapidly, yellow ethereal beings were attacking me and I just got so confused, but in a holy shit I am fucked, good way.

The other freaky part was in the blown out movie theater. I was thinking to myself, "Alright I know how this is going to play out. I am going to get near the opening where the screen would of been and my guy is going to freak out." Just like I thought my guy starts seeing stuff. I was thinking that that was not so bad, it definitely could of been wor...holy shit what the fuck just grabbed me!
[/quote]

Haha, I agree. The same spots.

It's got the scary parts down pat, that's for sure. I LOVED the
ghost enemies that would pop up real quick, kind of a "did I see that? i think there's something there OH GOD THERE IT IS where'd it go HOLY GOD THERE IT IS AGAIN or was it?" moment.
. Graphics, sound.. everything is better than the first.. but the core gameplay remains unchanged, for better or worse. This is a solid rental (what the fuck is with the random mechs.. that's almost as random as the last battle in Lost Planet), not sure on buying it. I think I'll put that money for Street Fighter IV instead.

Holy shit. That was fucking sweet.

Played it on the PC, natch. Can't believe how good the performance is. Lithtech Engine is amazing.

It wasn't perfect, though. Somehow, the slo-mo just didn't "feel" as good as it did in the original. I remember how in the first one, when you shot up an enemy in slo-mo, their shit just got completely ruined and torn to shreds in the most fantastically over-the-top fashion imaginable. The sheer violence of it was just outrageous, and was it was a totally different effect from killing them at regular speed. In the second one, it all seems a bit more subtle, even toned-down. Also, you can't lean anymore. What the fuck. Leaning was extremely useful in the first, to spot enemies and plan out attacks. It's a huge omission, if you ask me. Also, and I know this can be attributed to this being multi-platform from the get-go, the menus and some presentation elements were a bit "console-y," which was a tad annoying, but it's not a huge deal, I suppose.

At any rate, it still kicks ass. Will play, for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I need to find the demo you guys downloaded, because the one I got was as bland, stale, and boring as the first game.[/quote]

Yeh i didnt see the big deal either...i have never liked F.E.A.R games in general. But thought i would give it a try. Scary games aint really my thing lol :roll:

I played the 360 version so I could compare it with the PC version.

Two of the biggest differences to me are that walking feels clumsy and the pop up menu for the weapons is too cumbersome—in the 360 version.

I think the walking feels clumsier because the analog stick sometimes goes a little too far to the right or left when I am walking forward, creating this really clumsy feeling, but maybe my analog sticks are just worn out?

They really should of did the pop up inventory differently for the 360 because you have to push the right stick over to get to want you want, but it is too slow. In the PC version all you have to do is hold down the wheel on the mouse and point the mouse at what you want to change to, then click. Fast and simple.

Now about the game in general. I agree that the omission of a lean is really strange. Now in FEAR 2 you can push stuff over to create cover, which is really cool. This is why it seems weird that they left out a lean. Sure I can hide behind this table, but shouldn't I be able to lean out from it? It is not that big of a deal to me, but it is odd.

I understand what you are saying when you said the slow motion does not feel as exaggerated, but I haven't played FEAR 1 in a long time, so I don't know.

[quote name='xDARKx Knight']Scary games aint really my thing lol :roll:[/quote]

Ya know... I'm not either but there's a difference. I'll gladly play this over something say like Deadspace that is so half assed that the only way they (EA) knows how to scare people is by throwing in what most of the public are afraid of... Spiders. GoW is also partly to blame. Yes, GoW isn't trying to be scary, but it's more annoying than anything else. :roll:

[quote name='Razzuel']the pop up menu for the weapons is too cumbersome—in the 360 version.

They really should of did the pop up inventory differently for the 360 because you have to push the right stick over to get to want you want, but it is too slow. In the PC version all you have to do is hold down the wheel on the mouse and point the mouse at what you want to change to, then click. Fast and simple.[/quote]

I like the look a lot, but yeah... using other FPS type of games that function without the use of the joysticks makes it odd. I had to get used to it. I suppose since I'm uncordinated to begin with it wouldn't make a difference either way...

[quote name='Razzuel']I agree that the omission of a lean is really strange. Now in FEAR 2 you can push stuff over to create cover, which is really cool. This is why it seems weird that they left out a lean. Sure I can hide behind this table, but shouldn't I be able to lean out from it? It is not that big of a deal to me, but it is odd.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought this is cool. This and the slide over stuff would be great in another game but in this game you don't need either really since there's the slow mo. Still nice details

Thought the demo was awesome. Great atmosphere, looked great, bloody as hell. The mech was fun as well.

Will definitely pick it up. Probably not at launch at $60, but definitely as soon as I see a deal or get matched up on Goozex for sure.

My only gripe is I was hoping they'd switch to a regenerating shield/health as I hate having to deal with health packs, armor etc. as it leads to reloading last saves to replay through battles with out taking too much damage.

I played the PC demo and it ran pretty well on my amd x2 4400 w/8800GS card in vista. It only stuttered a bit when reloading a few times.

I really like the first fear alot so I expect to pick this up on the PC as soon as I can find it for 30 bucks or less. I really wanted the demo the have the nail gun. It was awesome to nail people to the wall in part 1. The nail gun and the designator gun that only left bones were my two favorite guns.

I hope they bring those back.

I notice a lot of people didn't seem to like the mech, but I thought it was a blast. Now, I'm probably biased a bit, because it managed to remind me of Monolith's sadly forgotten SHOGO: Mobile Armor Division, which is the most in-dire-need-of-a-sequel game this side of Wing Commander. That should seriously be their next project. They teased about it years ago and abandoned it, so it's really time to make good on the one. Such an awesome game, that was...

[quote name='dmaul1114']My only gripe is I was hoping they'd switch to a regenerating shield/health as I hate having to deal with health packs, armor etc. as it leads to reloading last saves to replay through battles with out taking too much damage.[/QUOTE]

I support you having your own opinion, but I chime in on that subject with a resounding
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I'm really getting sick of this sissy console impossible-to-die auto-health bullshit that is in seemingly every FPS these days. Finding and managing health packs can be a key part of pacing in action games, when done well, and I usually prefer that to hiding behind a rock every 30 seconds to recharge my health.

Did you guys lose sound after you got on the streets (where you pick the sniper up)? Anyways, the only scary part was the school's hallway lockers, but only because they give you a dinky flashlight. Glad they adopted iron sights in the game now.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Did you guys lose sound after you got on the streets (where you pick the sniper up)? Anyways, the only scary part was the school's hallway lockers, but only because they give you a dinky flashlight. Glad they adopted iron sights in the game now.[/quote]

No, I had sound the whole way through as far as I remember. And yeah, the iron sights are one of the many improvements I am happy about.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
I support you having your own opinion, but I chime in on that subject with a resounding
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I'm really getting sick of this sissy console impossible-to-die auto-health bullshit that is in seemingly every FPS these days. Finding and managing health packs can be a key part of pacing in action games, when done well, and I usually prefer that to hiding behind a rock every 30 seconds to recharge my health.[/QUOTE]

I hate hard games, so to each their own. With rechargable health I'll actually play games like Gears on the hardest settings since you can hide and heal if you win a battle but are banged up. Vs. having to reload an old save and do it over if there isn't any health nearby.

But no skin off my nose. FEAR 2 will probably just be a rental (or a Goozex pick up, beat and swap right back) so I'll just play on easy if I get too annoyed.

I believe the FEAR games work MUCH better on the PC. The in-your-face action seems better for the atmosphere. Thats what I got from playing FEAR on the PC vs the 360.

[quote name='Trakan']I thought the demo was pretty mediocre.

Condemned > F.E.A.R.[/QUOTE]

Nawww.. no way, Condemned was terrible compared to FEAR, and actually pretty much every other horror genre game.

I hated Condemned (wanted to like it), I had no clue where to go or what to do and couldn't see shit. Seemed more "detective/interactive" than FPS.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Seemed more "detective/interactive" than FPS.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't supposed to be an FPS.

Also, what is wrong with "interactive"???

I thought Condemned was ok. I liked the atmosphere, but got sick of having to use Melee weapons so much. Left me with no desire to play the sequel.

THIS is how you do a sequel. Keep everything that was good about the first game (solid gameplay, advanced enemy AI, and very satisfying gun fights), while improving all of its faults (bland environments, and even blander attempts at horror). Throw in a huge, penis-extension mech with rockets and gattling guns, and I'm sold.

If the demo is anything to go by, this'll likely be a first day purchase for me. But I'm still hesitant, considering how excited I was for the demo for Mirror's Edge.

I did not play FEAR. I've heard impressions of FEAR 2 on podcasts and so I had to try out the demo. Now I don't play too many scary games although I enjoy a good scare now and again. I have to say that this game delivered on this. Anyone who plays this game I can give no better advice than play it in the dark, make sure you adjust the contrast correctly, play it on a nice HDTV set and make sure you have the surround sound going. I have a pair of Astro gaming a40 headphones and coupled with my 42" viera HDTV I got totally emerged in the game. The sound is fantastic and the visuals are too. The hallway scene in the school was fucking intense. I had to pause the game a few times to remind myself it was only a game. At one point I was walking around the corner where you see your first dead body and all of a sudden the lockers all started to rattle. I can't put into words the bone-chilling reaction I had to this and I let out an "OH SHIT" in anxiety and actually turned my character around and clumsily tried to go back around the corner and ended up failing miserably as I lost all sense of rational control over my controller input. That moment sold me on the experience. The shock and thrill I got from that one moment is something I have never gotten in any scary movie I have ever seen in my life. I actually felt like I was in the game and it made the experience all the more intense.

I played the Demo again last night in the dark and with the gamma turned down more. My hairs stood on end even straighter and farther out.

[quote name='Niblet']I did not play FEAR. I've heard impressions of FEAR 2 on podcasts and so I had to try out the demo. Now I don't play too many scary games although I enjoy a good scare now and again. I have to say that this game delivered on this. Anyone who plays this game I can give no better advice than play it in the dark, make sure you adjust the contrast correctly, play it on a nice HDTV set and make sure you have the surround sound going. I have a pair of Astro gaming a40 headphones and coupled with my 42" viera HDTV I got totally emerged in the game. The sound is fantastic and the visuals are too. The hallway scene in the school was fucking intense. I had to pause the game a few times to remind myself it was only a game. At one point I was walking around the corner where you see your first dead body and all of a sudden the lockers all started to rattle. I can't put into words the bone-chilling reaction I had to this and I let out an "OH SHIT" in anxiety and actually turned my character around and clumsily tried to go back around the corner and ended up failing miserably as I lost all sense of rational control over my controller input. That moment sold me on the experience. The shock and thrill I got from that one moment is something I have never gotten in any scary movie I have ever seen in my life. I actually felt like I was in the game and it made the experience all the more intense.[/quote]

Yeah I lost all sense of direction at one point; I was surprised I still ended up going in the direction I was supposed to though. That part sold me on the game as well.

You said you have the A40's? I have been looking over these for a while. What do you think of them? Worth the 250 dollars? How is the surround sound as well?

[quote name='Razzuel']Yeah I lost all sense of direction at one point; I was surprised I still ended up going in the direction I was supposed to though. That part sold me on the game as well.

You said you have the A40's? I have been looking over these for a while. What do you think of them? Worth the 250 dollars? How is the surround sound as well?[/QUOTE]

I love my a40 headphones. When considering the $250, I saw it more as 125 for the MixAmp and 125 for the Headphones. Breaking it down this way makes it much more stomacheable. I'll give you my impression, but do note that I am no audio expert or enthusiast. I've had the phones+amp for about 20 days so far and for me the jump from standard television audio to the a40s was a big as going from my small SDtv to my 42" Viera HDTV. The first game I tried the phones in was CoD4. I was not prepared for what I was getting into. I would never imagine that developers would take so much of a meticulous approach to their games audio. There are so many little audio touches like flies near the dumpster. It really fleshes out a world and the experience. It was overwhelming for me tbh. Hearing the footsteps and gunfire of those nearby, with spot on directional resonance, really left me quite dazed at first. It was unreal.

I know this experience is not exclusive to my a40s, but I'm sure it is markedly better than other options. For instance, my Friend has the turtle beach headset that Wombat owns (X-something :whistle2:?) I tried his headset while deciding what I should buy and while I can say it is definitely much better than anything you will get out of your TV, the experience is much inferior to my a40s. The sound is muddy and the directional cues do not come off as clear and noticeable as the a40s. The soundrange on the a40s is much better as well. The subtle sounds and overpowering sounds are represented well on the phones.

Aside from the awesome sound quality the phones are just fantastic. The build quality is excellent, the phones are very handsome (got the black ones),. The option to plug in and out the mic is very nice. The quick disconnect cable actually comes in handy when you gotta take a quick break. Everything about the phones scream smart design choice.

The customer service is great as far as I can tell. I had an issue with voice chat and the reps were quick to respond to my emails and easily able to walk me through the steps of rectifying the situation.

And remember that 250 gets you the phones and the MixAmp. From the research I did, the phones compare well to other great phones in the 100~ price range and the MixAmp it self is very well designed and worth the price. Even if you decide not to get the phones you could decide to get the MixAmp and any good pair of headphones that include dolby headphone technology (maybe some sennheisers). I do recommend getting these phones over comparable phones NOT marketed towards gamers simply because these phones include a mic which is a very important feature. It is important to note that unlike other gaming headsets, the a40s mic can be used with both a Xbox 360 and a PS3 (you just need a $10 adapter for use with the PS3).

Overall I give the a40 system (headphones + MixAmp) a A+ rating. The sound quality is great and priced well and the MixAmp is very versitile. I don't just use these phones for gaming. I've been listening to music with them and watching movies and programs with it. It makes watching Lost so much better :D. People are so quick to disregard sound as an important factor in home entertainment, but in reality it is just as important as good visuals. I can only recommend you buy as good of a product as you can afford. To buy a $100 audio solution when you can afford to get a $250 solution that is WELL WORTH the price is a disservice to yourself. How long will those $100 headphones hold up to my a40s? I'll be using my a40s for a long time, I know that for sure. If you must get a cheaper set, the Tritton AXPro are the next step down the ladder and run about 90 bucks cheaper. If you really CANT stomach 250, go with the Trittons altough the a40s are better in terms of sound and product design.

bread's done
Back