Fable 2 Platinum hits $20 Best Buy

[quote name='BingoBrown']There has been discussion about it in this thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249084

The consensus from anyone who has gone into a Best Buy to purchase this is that it isn't the Platinum Hits version, just the regular. It seems Best Buy doesn't have the Platinum Hits version in stock yet. If/when they do, this will be a good deal. Until then, it won't work.[/QUOTE]

Just do in store pick up, says 3/5 bestbuys near me have it and i presume it would work that way.

[quote name='Chris249942']Just do in store pick up, says 3/5 bestbuys near me have it and i presume it would work that way.[/QUOTE]

That's my point, you can't do that. If you order the Platinum Hits version online for in-store pickup, they're just going to give you the regular version, because they don't actually have the PH version in stores yet. You can try, but don't be disappointed when they bring you the regular version and not the PH.

whats funny is that no one cares that the link has the regular edition artwork...how would you think you're getting anything but that??

and besides, when I was at BB earlier, I tried looking for PH version, none to be found..

Great, some douche just posted this to SD and it's now on the front page. All the suckers that are going to run to Best Buy for the PH version and get the regular instead kinda makes me happy, though.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']So are we safe to order this online and get the PH version that comes with the DLC?[/QUOTE]

Well at first I would have said yes, but as someone pointed out it shows the original artwork on the BB page, I didnt notice this before. So it may be risky ordering it online you may get the old version.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Great, some douche just posted this to SD and it's now on the front page. All the suckers that are going to run to Best Buy for the PH version and get the regular instead kinda makes me happy, though.[/QUOTE]

It was actually posted on slickdeals almost an hour before it was posted here.

[quote name='Fors78']It was actually posted on slickdeals almost an hour before it was posted here.[/QUOTE]

The BB deal was originally discussed in the Fable II thread here on CAG days ago, long before the OP of this thread posted the deal.

[quote name='BingoBrown']The BB deal was originally discussed in the Fable II thread here on CAG days ago, long before the OP of this thread posted the deal.[/QUOTE]

I see, I stand corrected then. I havnt read the other Fable II thread.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I hate SD. Such a jumbled mess there every time I try and visit that site.[/QUOTE]

I have to say I quite like SD, it has saved me tons of money on alot of stuff! Sure there are greedy buttholes there, but there are some here as well.

[quote name='Fors78']I have to say I quite like SD, it has saved me tons of money on alot of stuff! Sure there are greedy buttholes there, but there are some here as well.[/QUOTE]
I agree, I have found many deals on things other than video games there.

[quote name='Brother Daz']I agree, I have found many deals on things other than video games there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can't complain either.

I've been hooked up pretty good by deals over there that were non-game related.

[quote name='BingoBrown'] All the suckers that are going to run to Best Buy for the PH version and get the regular instead kinda makes me happy, though.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Maybe its a blessing in disguise!

They'll buy up all the plain versions, BB will put up the PHs and finally we'll be able to snag it.

[quote name='Fors78']I have to say I quite like SD, it has saved me tons of money on alot of stuff! Sure there are greedy buttholes there, but there are some here as well.[/QUOTE]

Got a laser printer for $10...SD is pretty good

What would be the best fix for the title of this thread? All i can think of to fix it is absurdly long.

[quote name='Warn3rv3']What would be the best fix for the title of this thread? All i can think of to fix it is absurdly long.[/QUOTE]

I would close it. There is no deal here. They have Fable 2 for $19.99, which is the MSRP. They do not have the actual Platinum Hits with DLC game yet.

[quote name='Dysheekie']Until someone that ordered it online confirms which version they got, I think this is still a valid deal for now.[/QUOTE]

The SKU online matches the in store SKU for the regular version.

Gotcha - looks like I'm out of luck then. Guess I'll just return it to Best Buy when it gets here. Maybe I'll wait 30 days and try to return it when they do have the correct version :)

Slightly off topic but if you don't mind picking up the regular edition of the game, Target seems to have restocked it in their budget price video game aisle for $7.48.

Might be worth taking a look see.

I emailed best buy for some sort of clarification (and possibly getting what's advertised). I'll wait for a response and if it's what i want to ear i'll leave it up and if not i'll pull it.

FWIW this is the response i got from BB.

It is great to hear from you! Yes the Fable 2 Edition SKU#7849439
is the platinum hits edition as listed. The majority of the
customers that have purchased this game has been very pleased
with it. You can actually click on the customer reviews which
is the 4th tab under the product description and see what all
have been said about the product. 100 customers out of 116 are
very pleased and I am sure you will be as well. Please let me
know if there is anything else I can do for you and if you need
assistance with purchasing this item. You may call us at
1-888-BEST-BUY if you need us. Thank you for choosing Best Buy!

Anita
Best Buy Customer Care

It's amazing how stoopid these people think we are. Is there
anything that can be done with this from a customer service
standpoint?

[quote name='Warn3rv3']I emailed best buy for some sort of clarification (and possibly getting what's advertised). I'll wait for a response and if it's what i want to ear i'll leave it up and if not i'll pull it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='knightsdwn']Slightly off topic but if you don't mind picking up the regular edition of the game, Target seems to have restocked it in their budget price video game aisle for $7.48.

Might be worth taking a look see.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seems to have been restocked at my Target as well, but it also scanned at a higher price (19.99) so ymmv

[quote name='Warn3rv3']FWIW this is the response i got from BB.

It is great to hear from you! Yes the Fable 2 Edition SKU#7849439
is the platinum hits edition as listed. The majority of the
customers that have purchased this game has been very pleased
with it. You can actually click on the customer reviews which
is the 4th tab under the product description and see what all
have been said about the product. 100 customers out of 116 are
very pleased and I am sure you will be as well. Please let me
know if there is anything else I can do for you and if you need
assistance with purchasing this item. You may call us at
1-888-BEST-BUY if you need us. Thank you for choosing Best Buy!

Anita
Best Buy Customer Care

It's amazing how stoopid these people think we are. Is there
anything that can be done with this from a customer service
standpoint?[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Just great. Almost as useless as e-mail responses I have gotten from Microsoft.

[quote name='bruceg']Yeah, seems to have been restocked at my Target as well, but it also scanned at a higher price (19.99) so ymmv[/QUOTE]

Same here. $20.

[quote name='hobbie8046']The SKU online matches the in store SKU for the regular version.[/QUOTE]

Well that about confirms it. I ordered mine last week, so when it gets here I will let you guys know if any magic happened.

I just checked the Best Buy site and they are offering free shipping online. That is a very good deal if the correct version is shipping.

Edit: I took the plunge with the FS offer. $21.62 is a very good price for the platinum version. If I get the standard I'll just return it to the local store.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dysheekie']My copy should be here today, so I'll report tonight on which version it is.[/QUOTE]

Keeping my fingers crossed. Not very optimistic as all the evidence points to it being the regular edition, but I'll be very happy if it turns out that you get the PH.

Just called Best Buy support and told them about the mix up. I kind of grilled him on the fact that there was a difference between the regular and platinum hits version and even brought up the fact that the website was inconsistent between the label and the image/sku.

He said that he understands and will ship the platinum hits version out to me. Just to make sure he REALLY understood, I explained the difference again and asked him if he actually saw the physical product and he said that he did. So hopefully, unless Best Buy is really incompetent, I should be getting the platinum hits version. I'll keep everyone posted.

[quote name='Dysheekie']
He said that he understands and will ship the platinum hits version out to me. Just to make sure he REALLY understood, I explained the difference again and asked him if he actually saw the physical product and he said that he did. So hopefully, unless Best Buy is really incompetent, I should be getting the platinum hits version. I'll keep everyone posted.[/QUOTE]

Good luck. Do you really think someone who answers the phones for customer service is going to be able to run down to a warehouse, verify a physical product, and come back?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Good luck. Do you really think someone who answers the phones for customer service is going to be able to run down to a warehouse, verify a physical product, and come back?[/QUOTE]

whadda ya mean? this is Best Buy, they probably have product overflowing into these peoples cubicle. If they wanted to watch the newest movie, they would just have to pick it up at their feet when it appears there...:lol:

Hehe good point, I guess it doesn't matter. Either way, if they ship me the same product I will have more grounds for complaining later and will eventually be able to get the Platinum hits version. Probably more hassle than it's worth for saving a few bucks off Amazon's price.

[quote name='Dysheekie']Just got mine in the mail, and sadly, as everyone expected - it is the regular version.[/QUOTE]
Sucks but thanks for the update. I'll pass on ordering.

For anyone who's been burned by this issue-

I took some time out this morning to write a pretty in depth letter to Best Buy corporate, including the CEO himself to address this problem. I even sent pictures of the listing, my receipt, the order sheet the store taped to the game (all which read Fable II Platinum Hits) and a photo of the standard edition I was handed at the store when I picked the game up. I also sent a photo of the actual Platinum Hits version so they see the difference. I made it a point to let corporate know just how bad something like this makes them look.

I got a call from the general manager at my local store within 2 hours of sending the email. He honestly had no clue what the difference was between the two versions, but once I pointed it out to him with the photos I emailed, he apologized for the issue and told me he was going to have corporate send copies of the Platinum Hits version to the store so he can correct the issue.

I hear that some stores did actually have the Platinum Hits version, so the deal is legit, the problem is 1) The system isn't differentiating between the two versions when you select store pickup (because they're using the standard sku), and 2) Apparently, few people at Best Buy actually understand that the Platinum Hits version actually has extra content that the Standard version doesn't.

It's ridiculous. It looks terrible on their part, but at least from what I've found it isn't anything malicious, and they appear to be ready to correct the problem.

I won't post the corporate email addresses I used here b/c I don't want to flood their mailboxes and they appear to get the point. If you bought into the deal and still have the standard version they gave you, AND the receipt, I'd advise returning to the store with a photo of the Platinum Hits version highlighting the extra content, and they should make this right.

Good luck!

[quote name='j0dy77']I just checked the Best Buy site and they are offering free shipping online. That is a very good deal if the correct version is shipping.

Edit: I took the plunge with the FS offer. $21.62 is a very good price for the platinum version. If I get the standard I'll just return it to the local store.[/QUOTE]

So you can return items purchased online, in-store?

[quote name='Dynamic3']So you can return items purchased online, in-store?[/QUOTE]
Yes. However, you may not get a refund on shipping cost, depending on the nature of the return.

[quote name='griffon2k']I got a call from the general manager at my local store within 2 hours of sending the email. He honestly had no clue what the difference was between the two versions, but once I pointed it out to him with the photos I emailed, he apologized for the issue and told me he was going to have corporate send copies of the Platinum Hits version to the store so he can correct the issue.

I hear that some stores did actually have the Platinum Hits version, so the deal is legit, the problem is 1) The system isn't differentiating between the two versions when you select store pickup (because they're using the standard sku), and 2) Apparently, few people at Best Buy actually understand that the Platinum Hits version actually has extra content that the Standard version doesn't.

It's ridiculous. It looks terrible on their part, but at least from what I've found it isn't anything malicious, and they appear to be ready to correct the problem.[/QUOTE]

I think this is more Microsoft's fault than anything. Normally, I think platinum hits versions use the same UPC as original releases. This would explain why Goozex normally doesn't have seperate listings for original and platinum hits versions of games.

If MS/Lionshead had gone with the "GOTY" moniker, as they did in PAL regions, this wouldn't be a problem. It would be a lie, but it would have been easier to sort out the change.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Good luck. Do you really think someone who answers the phones for customer service is going to be able to run down to a warehouse, verify a physical product, and come back?[/QUOTE]

Hell when I worked customer service for Netflix, people demanded that of me and expected me to know the exact condition of each individual disc that was sent to them. And there are mailing centers all over the US. At least it looks like best buy will be getting their act together. I may have to jump on this now that it has been confirmed BB will be fixing the issue.

bread's done
Back