Fact-Fiction or Rumor: Was BestBuy hoarding PS3's ?

[quote name='Kendal']I have seen PS3 on shelves regularly since two days after christmas. Just sitting there.[/QUOTE]

Same here... why would Best Buy hoard PS3's? I see them quite often when I go out, it's not like they are hard to find at all.

Now, the Wii on the other hand...

Besides, who cares if they hold PS3's, not like anyone is buying them right now anyways.

See I figured they were holding back some shipments just to do a quick boost in sales during certain weeks.

I don't care right now as in a little under 5 years from now the playstation 3 will be in my hands for under 200 bucks :)

Does this matter? Most stores have them. Just stop with the damn thread, spend 10 minutes on the phone, find a store, and buy it.

So what if they are? They can feed them into a wood chipper if that is what they see as the best application of that expenditure for the company. THey're under no obligation to sell them and certainly they can sell them at a promoted time of their choosing.

I'm sure Best Buy thought that PS3s would still be hard to find at this point, since they printed up those ads weeks ago. They really had no choice but to hold systems.
I think we're all surprised at how easy it is to find PS3s (I saw 3 or 4 at my local Walmart today) on stores so soon after launch. I would have thought we would see a drought until at least May or June.

Where do you guys live? I live in the Midwest and they are still no where to be found. As soon as they get some in there gone in no time.

[quote name='millrat1030']Where do you guys live? I live in the Midwest and they are still no where to be found. As soon as they get some in there gone in no time.[/QUOTE]

Not looking/trying hard enough.

[quote name='millrat1030']Where do you guys live? I live in the Midwest and they are still no where to be found. As soon as they get some in there gone in no time.[/QUOTE]

I live in the Midwest and could have had 5 systems between Christmas and now, with no effort. I agree with the last guy - you must be in either a very strange town or are not trying hard enough.

[quote name='Roufuss']Same here... why would Best Buy hoard PS3's? I see them quite often when I go out, it's not like they are hard to find at all.

Now, the Wii on the other hand...

Besides, who cares if they hold PS3's, not like anyone is buying them right now anyways.[/quote]

I know they were holding back for at least a couple days because on Saturday I heard a store clerk tell a customer over the phone that while they only had 1 PS3 for sale there would be an extra 20 available tomorrow, and that they were being held because they guaranteed in a flier that each store would have PS3s available Sunday.

Although BB holding units 4 days before christmas sounds a bit strange to me.

[quote name='millrat1030']Where do you guys live? I live in the Midwest and they are still no where to be found. As soon as they get some in there gone in no time.[/quote]

Michigan, outside of Detroit. I live a few miles away from where the Lions used to lose.

[quote name='millrat1030']Where do you guys live? I live in the Midwest and they are still no where to be found. As soon as they get some in there gone in no time.[/quote]
I live in Iowa between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids and I've seen them in stores.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Crazy. I live in Portland and I've never seen a single one in stores, but apparently my friends and family have.[/QUOTE]

I live near Portland and my local Fred Meyer had them sitting in the case 2 days before Christmas (that very busy Saturday) at 10pm when I went in. They said they had them all day. They weren't there the following Wednesday, but, still, I was shocked they made it through what was probably the busiest shopping day they had (my wife went earlier in the day and there was nowhere to park which I've never seen). I was tempted, but held off...

I have not seen them anywhere else though (except for the insane bundles that Fry's couldn't sell) - I think those things sell out faster here than other places, or they don't ship enough here or something. The Wii is next to impossible to get here (yes, I'm aware it is very difficult just about anywhere). I know on one of those early TRU/CC/Target Sunday sales (before the hype had *really* built up for the Wii), all the spots were taken several hours before opening at each one of those stores near me, yet I looked on here and many CAG's said they were able to walk into TRU at 10am or noon and pick one up. Unreal...

[quote name='io']I live near Portland and my local Fred Meyer had them sitting in the case 2 days before Christmas (that very busy Saturday) at 10pm when I went in. They said they had them all day. They weren't there the following Wednesday, but, still, I was shocked they made it through what was probably the busiest shopping day they had (my wife went earlier in the day and there was nowhere to park which I've never seen). I was tempted, but held off...

I have not seen them anywhere else though (except for the insane bundles that Fry's couldn't sell) - I think those things sell out faster here than other places, or they don't ship enough here or something. The Wii is next to impossible to get here. I know on one of those early TRU/CC/Target Sunday sales, all the spots were taken several hours before opening at each one of those stores near me, yet I look on here and many CAG's said they were able to walk into TRU at 10am or noon and pick one up. Unreal...[/QUOTE]

Was it the Walker road Fred Meyer??

And you're right about the Wii. My friend is desperate to get one, but he's only had one chance to get one since he's been home (work and stuff). He tried getting one the CC in Tigard a couple weeks ago, but he was about 4 people too late. IDK if he's called stores in a daily basis, but it seems like they're harder to find than Bin Laden.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Was it the Walker road Fred Meyer??

And you're right about the Wii. My friend is desperate to get one, but he's only had one chance to get one since he's been home (work and stuff). He tried getting one the CC in Tigard a couple weeks ago, but he was about 4 people too late. IDK if he's called stores in a daily basis, but it seems like they're harder to find than Bin Laden.[/QUOTE]

Nah, man, I live south of Portland. My exact location is a mystery ;). It wasn't in the city limits though. The CC in Tigard was one of the ones that sold out by like Midnight on one of those Sunday sales though - people camped overnight (and we're not talking launch day).

[quote name='Roufuss']Same here... why would Best Buy hoard PS3's? I see them quite often when I go out, it's not like they are hard to find at all.
[/quote]

To create an artificial demand. If something is always available, everytime you walk into the store, your average consumer is not gonna care about it. But hide them in the back for a few weeks, people think they are in demand, and therfore want one more.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I'm sure Best Buy thought that PS3s would still be hard to find at this point, since they printed up those ads weeks ago. They really had no choice but to hold systems.
I think we're all surprised at how easy it is to find PS3s (I saw 3 or 4 at my local Walmart today) on stores so soon after launch. I would have thought we would see a drought until at least May or June.[/QUOTE]

Don't speak for us all, I'm not surprised at all that we are seeing PS3's on the shelf. $600 is not a drop in the bucket. PS3 has a decent game on it, but nothing that really forces you buy right now. The people who have one right now are people with $600 to burn (basically not cheap ass gamers) or people who love to be the one guy on the block with the newest thing.

It also doesn't help that you can get the Wii, the must play Wii game, and the pack-in game for half the price. I said early on that PS3 wouldn't sell at the same rate as other systems becuase of the price. There is a price limit at which the average gamer will stop, the PS3 crossed that line.

bread's done
Back