FactoryDirect: 60GB Backwards compat PS3+2 controllers: $160+$10 shipping

The only caveat I would throw in there is the reliability issue of this specific console. It will probably die, and although there are (temporary) fixes, there is no guarantee that it will always work.
But if you feel having BackCompat is that important (I hardly used it myself), the price seems great considering there are 2 (refurb?) controllers included.

After my 40GB PS3 just YLOD'd, I'm very hesitant on buying these. Waiting on a deal on a slim. Good post nonetheless.

Still gonna hold out on the eventual 4000 series reveal and how ugly it is but yet far more reliable (unless Sony completely drops the ball).

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']I am VERY tempted to pick this up since my 20 gig just died on me[/QUOTE]

Sent you a PM about your dead PS3...

Yeah, my 60 gig recently died (Yellow Light of Death) on me too. Been waiting for a good deal on either fixing it (don't know if it's possible) or on a replacement. Are the slims really that much more reliable?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add to the chorus of dead PS3s as my launch 60 GB died in June. I spent several hours with a hairdryer and fan trying to get my 15 years worth of PSone, PS2 and PS3 saves off of the HDD... with no success. D: I love the system, especially during the twilight years of PS2 RPGs.

[quote name='Mr.']I'll add to the chorus of dead PS3s as my launch 60 GB died in June. I spent several hours with a hairdryer and fan trying to get my 15 years worth of PSone, PS2 and PS3 saves off of the HDD... with no success. D: I love the system, especially during the twilight years of PS2 RPGs.[/QUOTE]

A hairdryer probably won't cut it. You'd be better off using a heat gun or sticking the MB in your oven. You need to get it hot enough to melt the solder, and a standard hairdryer isn't going to get it hot enough. Keep in mind, this type of repair will only last a few months at most.

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']Well I went ahead and placed an order. The fact that it comes with 2 controllers pushed me over.[/QUOTE]

Drop us a post to let us know what condition it is in. Can you tell if it an official Sony refurb job, is it beat up looking, are the controllers in decent condition?

[quote name='kathos']My release-day 60GB is doing great![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Booyakz']You're going to jinx it! >.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Drop us a post to let us know what condition it is in. Can you tell if it an official Sony refurb job, is it beat up looking, are the controllers in decent condition?[/QUOTE]

I will once I get it. It should be here in about 2 weeks

Was the failure rate of the 60 GB ps3 really that high? I got mine used from a ToysRUs eBay store, and I want to say that it's been going 4-5 years with few problems *knock on wood*

I don't know if it helps, but I did snag an intercooler for it that has its own AC power source. (I didn't want the PS3 drawing more power than normal) Ever since then, I've never heard the PS3's fan speed up over the initial phase.

The fault on these things is that shitty ass lead free solder. To make it last longer, remove that junk, put REAL MANLY LEADED solder for better support and give it another coat of that thermal paste. But they do use a ton of electricity so they will eventually die, but I've had four or five 360s die before my fat PS3 kicked the bucket.

Ah, then it's a good thing that I also keep the ps3 horizontal at all times. (Vertical just strikes me as a consistently bad idea). I suppose it's also possible that manly leaded solder was applied to the ps3 before it was resold. That would be nice.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Drop us a post to let us know what condition it is in. Can you tell if it an official Sony refurb job, is it beat up looking, are the controllers in decent condition?[/QUOTE]

I just got it in the mail and it looks amazing! It the system and controllers look brand new. I am very impressed so far.

Well then enjoy it. It was the favorite of all the PS3's I've owned/own.

The sale was on again on the weekend. Maybe it's a regular price now.

bread's done
Back