Falcons QB Micheal Vick INDICTED

gregthomas77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/17/vick.indicted.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

From the story:

"Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury on charges related to illegal dogfighting.

Vick and three others were charged with violating federal laws against competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines."

and...

"Fifty-four pit bulls were recovered from the property during searches in April, along with a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.

During a June search of the property, investigators uncovered the graves of seven pit bulls that were killed by members of "Bad Newz Kennels" following sessions to test whether the dogs would be good fighters, the documents alleged."

I wonder if people will start turning on football of this trend of arrests off the field continues. I for one would like to see the sport soiled, but I doubt the NFL's ratings will feel any backlash unless Tom Brady is found in bed with Peyton Manning.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I wonder if people will start turning on football of this trend of arrests off the field continues. I for one would like to see the sport soiled, but I doubt the NFL's ratings will feel any backlash unless Tom Brady is found in bed with Peyton Manning.[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to see the sport soiled?

[quote name='gregthomas77']Why would you want to see the sport soiled?[/QUOTE]

When you get to be a juggernaut of that caliber, the fringe sports suffer. Huge football, baseball and basketball TV contracts drive fans of less mainstream sports (like soccer or hockey) to more costly arrangements to be able to view other sports.

And, as a Falcon fan, let me be the first to say......

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='CocheseUGA']When you get to be a juggernaut of that caliber, the fringe sports suffer. Huge football, baseball and basketball TV contracts drive fans of less mainstream sports (like soccer or hockey) to more costly arrangements to be able to view other sports.[/QUOTE]

My DIRECTV bill for this month reminds me that even fans of the almighty NFL are forced to pay to watch their favorite sports.

I do not like the cost to see game/go to game either but I wish the nfl no harm. Vic in trouble yet again suprise suprise boot his ass out for a year like other players soon or later they will learn

[quote name='gregthomas77']My DIRECTV bill for this month reminds me that even fans of the almighty NFL are forced to pay to watch their favorite sports.[/QUOTE]

Yet you have it available to you right there. For me to watch my football club, I have to stream over the internet (which never works), pay for broadband access, which doesn't cover all the matches, or buy Direct TV THEN also buy Setanta sports.

I have no idea where I could watch ARF ANYWHERE. Hockey, even if I cared to watch it, is hidden in the digital cable hell somewhere in-between the Lifetime channels.

We have coverage of summer league NBA, as if the playoffs didn't already last for 16 months.

I miss the good old days of ESPN, where you could occasionally catch a match of something international when they didn't have anything else to cover. Now, they're too busy analyzing NFL or NBA twice a day in the offseason, or showing five hours of WSOP, or Competitive Eating events.

Even now with more access to international things, I feel even more enclosed.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Yet you have it available to you right there. For me to watch my football club, I have to stream over the internet (which never works), pay for broadband access, which doesn't cover all the matches, or buy Direct TV THEN also buy Setanta sports.[/QUOTE]

So, you would have to buy DirecTV and then pay extra for the sports package. How is this different than what I have to do to see more than two Redskins games a year?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Yet you have it available to you right there. For me to watch my football club, I have to stream over the internet (which never works), pay for broadband access, which doesn't cover all the matches, or buy Direct TV THEN also buy Setanta sports.

I have no idea where I could watch ARF ANYWHERE. Hockey, even if I cared to watch it, is hidden in the digital cable hell somewhere in-between the Lifetime channels.

We have coverage of summer league NBA, as if the playoffs didn't already last for 16 months.

I miss the good old days of ESPN, where you could occasionally catch a match of something international when they didn't have anything else to cover. Now, they're too busy analyzing NFL or NBA twice a day in the offseason, or showing five hours of WSOP, or Competitive Eating events.

Even now with more access to international things, I feel even more enclosed.[/QUOTE]

funny you mention wsop that is there main article on espn right now was just at there site

[quote name='evilmojo12542']I do not like the cost to see game/go to game either but I wish the nfl no harm. Vic in trouble yet again suprise suprise boot his ass out for a year like other players soon or later they will learn[/quote]

Screw that if all the stuff they are reporting is true, kick him out forever, thats some messed up shit.

[quote name='Mattte']Screw that if all the stuff they are reporting is true, kick him out forever, thats some messed up shit.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But, if he is convicted, he will be playing all of his ball in prison.

Somehow I think Michael freakin' Vick can afford a pretty good defense team. Him going to jail seems very unlikely. Then again, all it takes is a judge who wants to "make an example" out of him and his chances go way down ala Paris Hilton. We'll see.

[quote name='gregthomas77']So, you would have to buy DirecTV and then pay extra for the sports package. How is this different than what I have to do to see more than two Redskins games a year?[/QUOTE]

You get any game, every game. I never have that ability. I also have to pay extra to get ANY game, I get none for free.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You get any game, every game. I never have that ability. I also have to pay extra to get ANY game, I get none for free.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. Still, you would think the answer would be to support new media outlets, not hope for the decline of a sport that others seem to enjoy so much.

Most athletes open sports bars, or restaurants. But dogfighting, come on man. If someone told me in high school all I would have to do to become a multimillionaire football player is commit a felony or two. I might have done it.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Point taken. Still, you would think the answer would be to support new media outlets, not hope for the decline of a sport that others seem to enjoy so much.[/QUOTE]

Fox Soccer Channel gets a little bit of it, but everything gets divided up between these new ventures, and not a lot gets shown.

I love the NFL, I just wish fans and networks would stop holding it's jock.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Nope.[/quote]

:lol: Didn't think so. Just such a craptastic situation to watch, with the success the Pistons had in the late 80s/early 90s, and again the past 5 years, the success the Red Wings have enjoyed pretty much ever since Yzerman was drafted, the success the Tigers had in the 80s/early 90s and again now. The Lions... 1 play-off win, I mean come on now. I became a Jaguars fan for awhile, but that team alienated me as well, with stupid front office moves and even dumber on field moves.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']:drool::drool::drool:[/quote]

No... :lol: that's not where you were supposed to take that.

Cruelty to animals. The sign of a quality individual.

I'd say have fun in jail, but he makes way too much money to ever see jail time. He would have to be caught on video tape stabbing a panda bear in the face.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']:drool::drool::drool:[/quote]

Off-topic, but do a lot women excited out of a male-male pairing as a guy does for woman-woman? I never really thought about that until you posted that.

At any rate, I don't really want to see football "soiled". I do want to see the character issues cleaned up though. I mean we all make mistakes, but some of the things these guys do is really bad. As a dog owner I just can't stand this story. I'm no PETA activist, but animals deserve more than this.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Off-topic, but do a lot women excited out of a male-male pairing as a guy does for woman-woman? I never really thought about that until you posted that. [/QUOTE] Of course. :lol:

[quote name='TC']Cruelty to animals. The sign of a quality individual.

I'd say have fun in jail, but he makes way too much money to ever see jail time. He would have to be caught on video tape stabbing a panda bear in the face.[/quote]

Wouldn't matter. Compared to Paris Hilton, pro athletes get the most lenient sentences.

One more thing:

"rape stand"?! Never heard of that before.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']As a dog owner I just can't stand this story. I'm no PETA activist, but animals deserve more than this.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. These people are a Waste of oxygen.

Michael Vick is a piece of trash. Dog fighting? Does he light his farts on fire for kicks too? I hope this fuck has an example made out of him...

Indicted =/= convicted, so I won't speak on his guilt. Cruelty to animals is something I'm far too emotionally invested in to have an unbiased opinion over, and it looks like it could be a pretty cut and dry case (buried dogs on his property?).

I don't feel his being a football player means anything (though a small part of me is thrilled that it isn't a Bengal at the forefront for once), as there are plenty of people charged with animal cruelty that are not NFL stars.

Nevertheless, wasn't Vick the guy arrested at an airport for smuggling pot in a Dasani bottle? He's clearly no mensa scholar.

I joke about this, but sometimes I'd like to see those people who fight dogs not be put in prison, but fight each other to the death instead. No gambling, of course.

Oh, he is fucked folks. They have all the evidence they need and plenty of character history like some of you stated with the pot smuggling and the finger to the crowd. I give it a week til' he is suspended for the season by the league. He may not do time but this is damn serious. What a fucking douche. No one is going to stand behind this guy, the Falcons will cut ties here very soon as well. Even if they wanted to stand behind him, they won't be able to. The teams attorney's will want them to run away from this fucker. 54 dog corpses ON HIS PROPERTY and a rape stand? A real class act just like his brother.

I completely forgot about the pot thing, on ESPN they were saying he won't get it as bad because this was his first offense. Did he never get anything for smuggling the pot?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Off-topic, but do a lot women excited out of a male-male pairing as a guy does for woman-woman? I never really thought about that until you posted that.
[/QUOTE]
No, not really, only the fat, goth, Japanophiles.

In more pleasant/serious terms, most women don't get excited about it. Though some do.

And looking at the article Myke just posted, Vick should get the chair.

[quote name='Mattte']I completely forgot about the pot thing, on ESPN they were saying he won't get it as bad because this was his first offense. Did he never get anything for smuggling the pot?[/quote]

http://dwil.wordpress.com/2007/01/21/book-it-schefter-says-mike-tomlin-is-the-steelers-new-head-coach/

3385vick20jaildx9.jpg

[quote name='packerfan10']At worst he will get a slap on the wrist from the NFL and some community service time.[/QUOTE]

No way. This is too cruel and too public. Watch. People are going to go batshit when they here of all this torture and cruelty. As a society, we love our animals. This fuck is going to get it.

[quote name='THE DARK KNIGHT']No way. This is too cruel and too public. Watch. People are going to go batshit when they here of all this torture and cruelty. As a society, we love our animals. This fuck is going to get it.[/QUOTE]

I hope so, as an owner of 5 dachshunds (couple of which were rescues) it sickens me to hear what these dogs were subjected to.... picking up and slamming a dog on the ground to kill it because it wouldnt fight or whatever... thats so fucking sick, Im not even a pit bull fan. You have millions upon millions of dollars and you get your kicks from this, I hope the uproar over the details of this case get him kicked out of the NFL for the year and lose him his endorsements... fuck nike

As a Newport News native this story sickens me even more. My brother went to Warwick HS with him and played bball with him a few times, and didnt get like him then

I would like to note that I agree fully this is a horrable crime and he should be punished to the max. Its just I live in CA and have seen the local leagle system cut to many breaks for sprots starts, celebs...

[quote name='javeryh']Either way, I doubt he will play this year at all.[/quote]

Do pro athletes still get paid, even if they miss a season (for whatever reason)?

bread's done
Back