Fall 2012 Dashboard rolling out this week

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
It will be a gradual rollout, so you may not see it for days, but it is starting this week. Details on what's included are here:

http://majornelson.com/2012/10/15/new-xbox-360-dashboard-update-starts-rolling-out-today/

This doesn't make any mention of the caching of downloaded games, so I hope that is in there because our main Xbox displays the list of games sooooo ridiculously slowly. I was not in the beta - did anyone in the beta notice any difference? I presume your NDA is over now that this rolling out.

Does the download game library load much faster now? If it does, I will be happy. I can't wait to find out. We haven't gotten the update yet on either of our Xboxes.

[quote name='crunchewy']Does the download game library load much faster now? If it does, I will be happy. I can't wait to find out. We haven't gotten the update yet on either of our Xboxes.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and as much as people bitch about the dashboard, I give them credit for making the game library and recent games lists load much, much faster. A few seconds at the most.

[quote name='clonesniper666']The pins are a nice idea.[/QUOTE]

That is one thing my wife is excited about. Question...We have the Xfinity app from Comcast, can I pin a show from inside that app or can I only pin the app? Thanks!

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yes, and as much as people bitch about the dashboard, I give them credit for making the game library and recent games lists load much, much faster. A few seconds at the most.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Now I *really* can't wait for the update, because our main Xbox loads the game list insanely slow. It's going to be so much better.

Haven't received the update, but I have been using the smartglass app on Windows 8 for a while (which in terms of functionality really isn't all that different from the ipad/android versions). I like being able to use it as a control for the dashboard (especially when watching a tv series so you don't have to power the controller back up just to go on to the next episode) but hopefully they've added a little more capability than that. Otherwise it feels like just another platform for advertising.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Not a fan but I hardly am of any Dashboard updates so not much has changed here. It's huge and ugly.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's that bad. I'm glad they got rid of the grey bottom half finally though and shows your entire theme.

I also don't have it as of this morning. I was thinking they were going by gamertag (mine starts with an X), but you've disproven that theory. Also, I'm east coast, which also appears to have no correlation.

[quote name='crunchewy']New dashboard is supposed to be rolling out to the rest of us today.[/QUOTE]
It seems like you were right. Finally got it today.

Woah! I love it! Well, at the very least I LOVE how much faster it is. On our main Xbox it would literally take a minute or two to display the games (recent or library) with the old dashboard. Now the list shows up instantly. I also don't see what the big deal is with the panels being larger. They are, but it doesn't bother me. So, I give this thing a thumbs up!

Pinning seems like a good thing. Maybe they don't end up on the top level, but they are only one level down. I don't need it to have room for 50 games. I just want a handful of favorites readily accessible regardless of whether I've played them recently or not.

[quote name='Kevlar281']Has anyone had any problems since the update? My system isn't bricked but I've had little hiccups with my 360.[/QUOTE]
My xbox will randomly freeze when an ad is loading.

[quote name='Kevlar281']Has anyone had any problems since the update? My system isn't bricked but I've had little hiccups with my 360.[/QUOTE]

Yes, same thing here

My avatar awards disappeared. Also I have been showing as Offline at random times. Weird. I was part of the beta and never had an issue.

I was on the beta program and I know I had a few updates from beginning to end, though I wonder if the version I have on my 360 now is the same version or not.

From someone who has the updated version and wasn't in the beta program, what's the version of the Dashboard you have?

So I noticed that Xbox Originals don't have Boxart images anymore on your Dashboard when connected to Live. Just a Gray Box. The writing's kind of on the wall about that, I think.

played with smart glass today, interesting little feature. Although is my android device not connecting directly to the xbox itself? I'm guessing its going through an online server or something to actually connect? Seems like a strange way to work. Its a bit too laggy for my care, don't see much use in it besides competition with the wiiU

I thought it went directly via wifi? Don't you need to be on same network as Xbox?

I don't think the iOS version is out yet, but I'll try it once it is.

[quote name='Nico0020']played with smart glass today, interesting little feature. Although is my android device not connecting directly to the xbox itself? I'm guessing its going through an online server or something to actually connect? Seems like a strange way to work. Its a bit too laggy for my care, don't see much use in it besides competition with the wiiU[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what's up with your android device.

Xbox SmartGlass is working great on my old laptop (even though I can't install Windows 8 on it because of lack of video drivers and other driver issues that can't be fixed because the machine is too old):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nW26qsI-c8

Yesterday I had the dashboard fail to load. I just got the spinning circly thing forever after selecting my account. I had to power off and back on, and then it was fine. Weird. However overall the new dashboard is a huge improvement, mainly in terms of speed, but also other stuff.

I presume the Facebook integration is a new dashboard feature? I like that I can post pics from Dance Central 3 directly to Facebook. But I know a lot of people hate Facebook. LOL. I'm not one of them, and my family and many of my friends are on Facebook, so that's a fun feature for me. Glad we don't have to go through an intermediate site like we had to before. But I wish we had the option of posting to twitter instead (or in addition).

[quote name='crunchewy']Yesterday I had the dashboard fail to load. I just got the spinning circly thing forever after selecting my account. I had to power off and back on, and then it was fine. Weird. However overall the new dashboard is a huge improvement, mainly in terms of speed, but also other stuff.

I presume the Facebook integration is a new dashboard feature? I like that I can post pics from Dance Central 3 directly to Facebook. But I know a lot of people hate Facebook. LOL. I'm not one of them, and my family and many of my friends are on Facebook, so that's a fun feature for me. Glad we don't have to go through an intermediate site like we had to before. But I wish we had the option of posting to twitter instead (or in addition).[/QUOTE]

Had the same long spinning on my end too.
I believe Facebook app was removed.

Is quick play gone from the screen when you press the guide button? I can't find it. I liked being able to jump straight from one game to another. Is it called something else now and I just missed it?

bread's done
Back