Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

I'm thinking of selling my copy but I know as soon as I do they are going to announce that there will in fact be DLC and Ms had just bought timed exclusivity or something.

Because for 1) the fact that you get capped at level 20 sucks
the DLC lets you go up higher in level and earn more and brand new perks (this is awesome)
2)I've done basically everything there is to do I want more to explore. The DLC lets you go to both pittsburgh and alaska.
3)the ending was a huge HUGE dissapointment, so atleast DLC lets you do more
4)once you beat the game you can't save it and continue to explore anything you might have missed. The DLC and patches not available to the PS3 version fix this.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Yea the ending really blows. It was all awesome the whole time through but it doesn't even end with a bang :/[/quote]

Kind of like Bioshock was? (On PC at least)

I got this game a few weeks ago, I'm drowning in fall releases though and I have no clue when I'll get to it. But the four or so hours I put in while I rented it had me hooked.

I could pass on all of the DLC except for the one that increases the level cap and fixes the ending. Thanks for the kick in the nuts Bethesda.

So I'd picked up oblivion goty for about $20 last month and fell in love with it, and naturally went on to fallout. I was thinking that probably everyone was overreacting about the length of the game, and the god-awful ending. I was wrong. (but i thoroughly enjoyed every second of the game!)

I sold my PS3 ver for PC. Running on my macbook via boot camp, so much better! I don't have to use VATS all the time to enjoy some gunplay, plus the modding community kicks so much ass. Modern weapons + sprint FTW!!

hey guys, i just started playing this game not too long ago. OK so i was outside falls church metro and i see a gunfight going on. So i saved, and went to go check it out. I run up and see three supermutants have taken out these two guys. I kill the mutants and run up to see who they were. They were paladins from the brotherhood (first time i've run into them). I get closer and one of them is paladin hoss. I was just wondering if i just screwed myself by saving my game after hoss had died. Is he an important character to keep alive? The only good thing about this is that i can take their armor and weapons...but yeah...thanks for any suggestions...

[quote name='riddler']hey guys, i just started playing this game not too long ago. OK so i was outside falls church metro and i see a gunfight going on. So i saved, and went to go check it out. I run up and see three supermutants have taken out these two guys. I kill the mutants and run up to see who they were. They were paladins from the brotherhood (first time i've run into them). I get closer and one of them is paladin hoss. I was just wondering if i just screwed myself by saving my game after hoss had died. Is he an important character to keep alive? The only good thing about this is that i can take their armor and weapons...but yeah...thanks for any suggestions...[/quote]

He's just part of an unmarked quest.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Paladin_Hoss

No biggie if he died.

I have a question: if you go to the very top right corner of the map, you find a spot called Raven Rock. I went through the big front door into what appears to be a walkway into some high tech underground base, but I could not go any farther than that walkway. The big door inside says "this door is opened elsewhere" but I could not locate a switch anywhere. Anyone know how to get through this door?

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but I just got this off craigslist since I never played a Bethesda game before, and didn't want to pay full-price for a game I wasn't sure I would like. So far it's pretty great, though. I think the dialog system in Mass Effect is far better (that isn't to say Fallout 3's system is bad), but outside of that one nitpick, I've been very happy with the purchase.

Just a quick question -- I left the Vault, and I explored one town/area a little bit (Springvale) before ending up in Megaton and talking to someone along the main quest. How long did it take you all to get to Megaton? Is there a lot more exploring and side questing to do before going there, or does the bulk of that come after your first Megaton visit?

[quote name='ricknub']Just a quick question -- I left the Vault, and I explored one town/area a little bit (Springvale) before ending up in Megaton and talking to someone along the main quest. How long did it take you all to get to Megaton? Is there a lot more exploring and side questing to do before going there, or does the bulk of that come after your first Megaton visit?[/quote]
Megaton is actually a good place to visit early; you'll get launched on the main quest, you can get a number of side quests there (be sure to visit Moira at Craterside Supply), there's a doctor for healing and stimpacks, and if you do a certain thing, you can get a place to live. Megaton makes a great "home base", especially if you're playing as a good character.

[quote name='ricknub']
Just a quick question -- I left the Vault, and I explored one town/area a little bit (Springvale) before ending up in Megaton and talking to someone along the main quest. How long did it take you all to get to Megaton? Is there a lot more exploring and side questing to do before going there, or does the bulk of that come after your first Megaton visit?[/QUOTE]

Megaton is my "home" base. I throw all my items and collectibles into my house and generally sleep/save there.

Well that's good to know! I was worried that I was moving in too linear of a direction and would miss out on a lot of the optional stuff.

@pob14 - That's good to know, since I'm playing as a good character. But if I were to play a bad character later on, would there end up being somewhere else to act as a good home base?

you get a home base in megaton as a evil character as well no?!?! It's been awhile but I thought it was a suite....was part of the influence on me being on the fence for good or evil

[quote name='shadowkast']you get a home base in megaton as a evil character as well no?!?! It's been awhile but I thought it was a suite....was part of the influence on me being on the fence for good or evil[/quote]

Where you get a house isn't decided by whether you're good or eveil. You get a suite in Tenpenny Tower if
you blow up Megaton.
otherwise you get a house in Megaton.

[quote name='Sarrasis']Finally got the platinum for this... going on a murderous rampage to get the 300 people kills was pretty fun :twisted:[/QUOTE]

I want to do this, so to achieve the platinum do you just load up old saves and work off of those?

is it common to experience a lot of freezes in this game? I started playing fallout 3 about a week or two ago on the ps3 and I'm nearly done with all the quests. So far the game has froze on me about 8 times. I kind of stopped playing for a couple of days and decided to pick up on it again recently. I'm going for the platinum trophy as well but its a little disappointing that it sometimes lags and freezes.

[quote name='Sharp Katana']is it common to experience a lot of freezes in this game? I started playing fallout 3 about a week or two ago on the ps3 and I'm nearly done with all the quests. So far the game has froze on me about 8 times. I kind of stopped playing for a couple of days and decided to pick up on it again recently. I'm going for the platinum trophy as well but its a little disappointing that it sometimes lags and freezes.[/QUOTE]

For me, The game has only completely frozen once and that was because my laser quit reading disks. I was at 40+ hours. I was in the middle of talking to someone, it froze and I restarted the system and it would not read any disks. I replaced the laser and have not had any problems since then.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my ps3, other games don't freeze this frequently, this game has froze on me the most. I have hacked a total of 38 computers and decided to go on a computer hacking spree, it chose to freeze on me when I was heading to Rivet City to get my 50th hack

[quote name='js1']I want to do this, so to achieve the platinum do you just load up old saves and work off of those?[/quote]
Yes, I made sure to create saves at levels 7, 13 and 19. That way I could load them up for the karma trophies.

I played a good charater for the most part so here's an easy way to lower it (if you already disarmed the megaton bomb) if you're interested.
In Rivet City, there's a guy name Mister Lopez and the top of the bridge (take the stairwell all the way up). If you convince him to commit suicide you'll drop a whole karma level. Then from there you can either level up to get the nuetral trophy or start to hack a red monitor, back out, rinse, repeat until you're evil.

I did this for each level save without any problem.

I had about 5 game freezes in the 50 hours of playtime. Luckily the game autosaves relatively frequently.

I rarely had any problems with the game, but I did have it happen to me nonetheless. Out of my 130 hr+ run with the game it probably froze like 4-5 times.

I think I'm 35 hours into this game. Each time I play for about 5 hours straight so maybe that's why :lol:. But I also finished this game on the 360 playing even longer and it froze about 4 times only.

Also getting the trophies for this game is pretty easy. If you want to get +/- karma quickly
-(positive) Rescue/buy children from Paradise Falls. Or finish the Power of the atom quest and have your robot butler give you purified water. Water can be given to mickey, carlos, and willy(?) all can be found sitting outside megaton, bridge to rivet city, and tenpenny.

-(neutral) steal/hack/lockpick things. Kill residents until you're neutral.

-(bad) go on a killing spree :D

It froze up quite a few times on me and I fuond out why. It has something to do with going into VATS too quick. I forget the specifics.

But if you are out in the open and rapidly tapping VATs to try and spot an enemy far away, don't. That's what caused it for me. It might even have to do with the DS3. Try using a sixaxis. I wish I could remember the details of it.

I no longer have a sixaxis. I don't use VATS unless I can see the enemy. Sometimes the game freezes for about 5 mins then resumes. I have experienced very laggy gameplay in some parts of town like Paradise Falls and Big Town. However it appears to be random, because I was at my friend's house playing and it lagged in the Museum of History but not in Paradise Falls. It usually takes about a minute or two for the game to sync into place. Is it possible that there's something wrong with the game itself?

^yeah. the problem is definitely with the game itself.

there was more problems with it but some of them were patched by bethesda. one of the other things that would happen is it would freeze whenever a message came up "so and so friend signed on"

I think it might be the game as well as I had to download the patch prior to playing. My cousin once bought a used copy of Resistance from GS, his copy would occasionally fail to load his settings and soldier loadout when he played online. He never had that problem playing with my copy. That's why I brought up the issue with the game itself.

I traded for fallout 3 here with another CAG. He said he only played it once so I'm not sure why it's already screwed up. I guess I'll ask him about it. And thanks for the info HowStern.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Where you get a house isn't decided by whether you're good or eveil. You get a suite in Tenpenny Tower if
you blow up Megaton.
otherwise you get a house in Megaton.[/quote]
that's what I meant. good or evil ROUTE in that particular story line. :)

Yeah, in 40-50 hours it froze probably upwards of 20 times for me, and had little fits of freezing once in a while, saving frequently is a good idea if you are traveling across the wasteland since there's no autosaves.

We are pleased to announce that Fallout® 3 downloadable content (DLC) is coming to PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system. We have been working on implementing it for a while and look forward to bringing it to PS3 gamers via the PlayStation Network. Operation: Anchorage will be released for PS3 in late June, followed by the release of The Pitt and Broken Steel 4-6 weeks apart. Release dates will be forthcoming.

In addition, a new update will be released for PS3 that will allow users to download and play the new DLC. The release date for that update will be announced at a later date.

There are also two new DLCs planned for all three platforms:

· Point Lookout – Explore a massive new swampland area filled with new quests and content.

· Mothership Zeta – The aliens have returned, and they’re pissed. Experience an alien abduction first hand and find out if you’re tough enough to survive.

Point Lookout will be available in late June for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Point Lookout will be available on PS3 after the first three DLCs have been released.

Mothership Zeta is scheduled for release in late July for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Mothership Zeta will be available on PS3 after Point Lookout.

Finally, new Fallout 3 products will be available at retail this year.

Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #1 includes The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage on a disc and will be available for Xbox 360 and PC on May 26.

The Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #2 includes Broken Steel and Point Lookout on a disc and will be available for Xbox 360 and PC in August.

Retail versions of the game add-on packs for PS3 are not possible and the DLC will only be available for download online via PlayStation Network.

A Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition will be available in October. It will include the original game plus all five add-ons for $59.99 for Xbox 360 and PS3, and $49.99 for PC.
Saw this on GAF just now and thought the F3 PS3 owners would appreciate it.

Pretty cool. Dude, if they're not gonna have retail add-on packs for the PS3, they better do a discount bundle on all the add-ons or something :/

I'll hold out for the GOTY edition though

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Inf^Shini']Pretty cool. Dude, if they're not gonna have retail add-on packs for the PS3, they better do a discount bundle on all the add-ons or something :/[/QUOTE]

They do. Is called GOTY edition.

[quote name='HowStern']Ugh just sold my copy a month ago. Will my saves work with the GOTY edition anyone know?[/QUOTE]
I gotta believe so, but I'm not sure.

[quote name='HowStern']Ugh just sold my copy a month ago. Will my saves work with the GOTY edition anyone know?[/QUOTE]
You should ask around on the Oblivion boards. IIRC, Bethesda had the same arrangement with a GOTY edition.

bread's done
Back