Fallout 3: GOTY $29.99 at Amazon

Nice!

I literally just searched this on amazon a few hours ago to check the price and it was still $39.99.

I wonder if this will go lower though? Hmm.

[quote name='SkyMasterson']Nice!

I literally just searched this on amazon a few hours ago to check the price and it was still $39.99.

I wonder if this will go lower though? Hmm.[/QUOTE]

No clue. All I know is this is the cheapest anyone has had the GOTY (been looking)

It's trade in value is also $30. So on the Xbox version doesnt that just make it a free rental + you can install the extra disc with all the add ons cant you?

[quote name='ShockandAww']It's trade in value is also $30. So on the Xbox version doesnt that just make it a free rental + you can install the extra disc with all the add ons cant you?[/QUOTE]

can you do that with the ps3 version because i just ordered the regular edition on BF for 9.99 with my amazon credit. Id love to get the dlc by just converting my cash to amazon credit. Does any one know if installing the game with give me the dlc on my HDD for ps3?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']PS3 disc has all the DLC on it too, you can just install it.[/QUOTE]

hmm wonder if its worth it because i know fallout platinum ends at 53% id love to get to 100% but i never traded a game into amazon before.

Anyone else doing this?

Now that i think about it ill just wait in till i have platinum and maybe meet someone who needs to swap GOTY games for dlc or at worst case scenario if this works lay out what ever it costs for a rental game if they even do that anymore.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']PS3 disc has all the DLC on it too, you can just install it.[/QUOTE]

hmm wonder if its worth it because i know fallout platinum ends at 53% id love to get to 100% but i never traded a game into amazon before.

Anyone else doing this?

The Xbox GOTY version has 2 discs. One is the game disc which you play off and the 2nd disc has the DLC which you install. After you install the DLC, you can play the game just fine with an original Fallout 3 disc.

The PS3 GOTY version has one disc. It installs data to the hard drive BUT you will be unable to play the game with the original Fallout 3 disc.

Darn just bought it on newegg on Friday for 37. Oh well

And I think I read somewhere that the GOTY edition game disc was different than the standard one so you can't just d/l the dlc off the disc and play with a standard. If that wasn't the case people could just pass around a dlc disc... The 360 one works that way as far as I would believe.

So it IS possible to download all of the content via the DLC discs on Xbox 360? I've got the regular edition and converting my cash into Amazon credit is OK by me if I can pick up the DLC!

Maybe I'm confused but I thought the PS3 version extras were on the same disc and this would only work with the 360 version? Anyway I ordered plus submitted a trade in for the Xbox version to try it. If nothing else the full GOTY version for $30 isnt bad.

Edit: I googled and found this thread on goozex basically saying what I thought. Xbox version this will work, PS3 version it will not work because the content is on a single disc.

From what I've read, the DLC is played from the disc, not installed. So you wouldn't be able to buy it, install it, get rid of it, and then play the DLC with standard edition disc.

[quote name='MrBeatdown']From what I've read, the DLC is played from the disc, not installed. So you wouldn't be able to buy it, install it, get rid of it, and then play the DLC with standard edition disc.[/QUOTE]

My quick 5 minute Google about the :ps3: DLC had the same info.

Playing the DLC portions requires the GOTY disc; I also read that the DLC areas are really laggy when playing from the GOTY disc.

[quote name='kikoman']Is it true that the ps3 version is glitchy as hell?[/QUOTE]

To call the PS3 version glitchy is a mild understatement. I should know, I have it...and soon to be trading it in to Amazon for $30. Along with Oblivion GOTY, which is also glitchy/buggy...though not as bad as FO3: GOTY.

One of the worst things that many will soon experience is the freezing. And once your save file (if it doesn't become corrupted...which can occur randomly, but is rare) reaches a certain memory size, framerates will begin to stutter and freezing will be extremely common.

I couldn't take it any more so I bought FO3: GOTY and Oblivion: GOTY on Steam during their Summer sale for dirt cheap. If you have a strong PC, I highly suggest you get these games for the PC instead. They will not only run infinitely better, but look better, and have a nice mod community as well.

I don't know about the 360 versions...but stay away from the PS3 versions. You have been warned.

I played the PS3 GOTY version and saved the DLC parts for the end after beating the main story and side quests. They were almost unplayable. I heard it was partly due to the save file size by the time you got to that point. One suggestion, play them mid way thru - around level 15 of your character. Another suggestion, after getting to around level 10 or so branch off two save files and split the rest of the game between them to minimize save file size. By the way, despite the technical problems I loved the DLC content!

[quote name='Warpath01']aww wait are there issues now with playing FO3 and bad saves for xbox 360?[/QUOTE]
Not like with the PS3 version I dont think. I think anyone whos said anything here about the bad saves was talking about the PS3 version.

[quote name='Warpath01']aww wait are there issues now with playing FO3 and bad saves for xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for the 360...but the PS3 version is a veritable programming mess. As the poster above me mentioned, the more you play and more you interact with things in the world (i.e. moving things around, dropping weapons, dead bodies, gibs from dead bodies, etc., etc.), the larger the save file becomes.

It doesn't matter how you go about playing the game (finish core game before venturing into DLC territory or half and half)...you will cause that file to grow in memory size unless you don't touch or interact with anything in the game...which is near impossible and will make the game dull and pointless to play in the first place.

From poor framerates to hard crashes/freezing. And on a PS3, the only way to reset after it freezes is to power off the system (flip power switch on older models or pull the plug on Slims), which is very bad for the PS3.

Like I said, don't know about the 360 version...but if you have a PC that can run the game, get it for PC...much, MUCH more enjoyable and stable.

whoa i didnt realize that was happening to the ps3 version. i feel for ya man!

are there good mods for the pc though?

[quote name='Warpath01']whoa i didnt realize that was happening to the ps3 version. i feel for ya man!

are there good mods for the pc though?[/QUOTE]

lots of good mods. too tired to list any, but check out http://www.fallout3nexus.com/. They have a top 100 section that should have some good stuff, some of which where "borrowed" by the developers of New Vegas (i.e., Weapon Mod Kits, needing to eat/drink/sleep, etc.)

Oh man, I don't even have the game yet but this is tempting to get all the add-on content and just get the game later. If I had known about this before, I would have picked up Fallout 3 for $10 from Best Buy on black friday!

[quote name='GeneralHavoc']No clue. All I know is this is the cheapest anyone has had the GOTY (been looking)[/QUOTE]
Not so for the PS3 version. If you were lucky enough to have a Sears in your area with one in stock I believe it made it down to $4.97 on clearance a while ago.:D;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not so for the PS3 version. If you were lucky enough to have a Sears in your area with one in stock I believe it made it down to $4.97 on clearance a while ago.:D;)[/QUOTE]

My Sears hasn't had the game on PS3. I would rather get it for the Xbox 360 anyway since it's the playable version.

Not sure why, but I couldn't pull the trigger on this one. I think it's the fact that I know that at least two of my friends have this game, so I don't feel the need to buy it when I can just borrow it and I just don't have room on my hard drive to install the DLC, so buying then trading it in wouldn't work for me.

Alright, I pulled the trigger on the 360 version, this is too good to pass up. As soon as I get it in, I'll install it and send it back for Amazon credit. I just wish I had picked up the base game for $9.99 from Best Buy on Black Friday. Now I'll have to wait until some store has the base game of the 360 version on sale/clearance for 9.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']

One of the worst things that many will soon experience is the freezing. And once your save file (if it doesn't become corrupted...which can occur randomly, but is rare) reaches a certain memory size, framerates will begin to stutter and freezing will be extremely common.

[/QUOTE]

=/ I haven't started the DLC yet simply because I've heard the freezing and problems were just gonna get worse =(

Now I don't know whether my patience and sanity are high enough to undergo the frustrations of a buggy fallout again =(

I got the regular edition on black Friday from amazon along with star wars the force unleashed for $9.99 each and then added Resident evil 5 for 14.99 and superbad dvd for 0.00 free. Over all it was all pretty much free credit. I had got doubled credited on my preordering black ops from being slick. Only thing that sucks is every game i ordered is a vanilla version with dlc and will stop me from getting 100% but sill still let me get platinum. I wish PSN+ was good for once and offered some more useful dlc on sale or free maybe like fallout's 3 and resident evil 5 dlc.

Personally I'vehad more problems with New Vegas on the Ps3 then GOTY on the PS3. Turn off Auto Saves and don't pile up your save files (and cross your fingers). You should be fine.

I only played Point lookout DLC though and had no problems. Great flip on goozex too (well a decent one)

LOL, well at least now I understand why people were jumping all over that Fallout 3 base deal for $10 a while back.

Is the save file size etc the same 'glitch' issue people are having in the new Fallout New Vegas?

I have never played Fallout of Elder Scrolls on PS3 and am trying to figure out where to start, which games to write-off (if any)

[quote name='kikoman']Is it true that the ps3 version is glitchy as hell?[/QUOTE]

The GOTY version yes, the normal one was fine.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']great, if only I didn't just buy Fallout 3 for $10 a few days ago , doh[/QUOTE]

The DLC has gone on sale on Xbox live a few times to $5 each, and some of them are better than others, (broken steel is 100% worth getting, even at full price....operation anchorage, not so much in my opinion). And you have about 40-50 hours of play before the standard 20 level cap become an issue (broken steel ups the level cap to 30 but also presents super strong monsters that randomly pop up so you aren't wandering around and turning every living thing into a puddle of plasma goo with one shot). The other DLC can give special weapons, but don't fundamentally alter the game structure (for the better) like broken steel does.

This page details the various DLC packs
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_add-ons

Last edited by a moderator:
So the vanilla PS3 FO3 is good to play? I rented it shortly after it came out and only had two or three minor glitches, but I mainly stuck to the story to blow through it in the 4 days I had it. I bought it Friday for $10 but Amazon hasn't shipped it yet. I really debated even getting it for that price because I've read there are still game breaking glitches in it that Bethesda just refuses to patch, but I figure for $10 it's worth it (still cheaper than another rental). I just don't want it damaging the PS3.

Wait you can install games on PS3s? Where is that option? Do you have to connect to PSN to do it?

[quote name='slowdive21']Wait you can install games on PS3s? Where is that option? Do you have to connect to PSN to do it?[/QUOTE]

Only specific games will allow you to install them. You install them in the game itself, sometimes the install is required when you boot up the game and sometimes you can find it under the option menu.

[quote name='Thrinn']Only specific games will allow you to install them. You install them in the game itself, sometimes the install is required when you boot up the game and sometimes you can find it under the option menu.[/QUOTE]

So I already have the GOTY edition, and I've played mother ship zeta, etc. Will the game work without the disc? Or is he talking about if you already own the original version?

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Like I said, don't know about the 360 version...but if you have a PC that can run the game, get it for PC...much, MUCH more enjoyable and stable.[/QUOTE]

Bethesda's engine for Oblivion, FO3, and FO:NV just seems to be a trainwreck in general. I've only played Oblivion on the 360, and on multiple occasions I've had NPCs I've needed to talk to get stuck in the wall of a building where I couldn't speak with them to progress the storyline.

I don't ever recall hearing more people complain about the number of bugs than those who have played New Vegas. I was planning on getting the 360 version of the FO3 GOTY edition today, but after reading your post I'm just going to wait for the PC version to hit $10 on Steam.

[quote name='kalmah']I think target has this on Clearance for $25 if you're worried about a $5 + S&H difference[/QUOTE]

Maybe other people have having better luck than I am with finding a good deal, but when I checked at my Target today they had it for $35 in the clearance section.

Bought it yesterday, finally got that price drop I was waiting for, cannot WAIT for christmas to get here so I can sit down and play this game!!!

Pretty nice price. I just scored the vanilla for the 360 for $8.95 shipped via Amazon warehouse deal. Lost my game in a move some time again and own the DLC already.

Own and finished FO3 + DLC on 360, PS3 and PC, so I'd definitely recommend getting it. :)

Get the regular disc and somehow get your hands on the GOTY disc. You can install it as many times as you like. Perfect for rentals or splitting between friends.

GOTY Freezing/Crashing Fix:

OK guys, check out what I found...and I've tested this for the last 4 hours or so. I found what actually seems to be a valid fix for the PS3 version of GOTY freezing issues.

Before I decided to trade my game in to Amazon, I found this topic on gamefaqs by a user named GLAMPIRE. What he wrote seemed to make sense, so I gave it a shot...why the hell not, right?

I deleted my Game Data and reinstalled the game. The trick is to not start playing the game when you think you can start playing (assuming the game is finished installing to the HDD). Virtually everyone did this, myself included because one only assumes the game is done installing.

But the fact is, is that it's not. You will notice the HDD light on the PS3 remaining active because it is still installing. So after you delete the original Game Data install, insert the game disc, let it install all the way. You can either stay on the Main Menu Screen or start your game up and pause it immediately. You will notice the HDD activity. Leave it alone for the next 40-45 minutes until it completely installs.

45 minutes later I noticed that the framerates were smooth...and over 4 hours into my game (on Mothership Zeta) no frame stutter or freezing. Many others in that topic report playing for hours with no frame issues or freezing/crashes as well.

Give it a try...all I know is that it has worked. And I was so pissed at this game for sooooo long that I bought the PC version (which is the best version)...but after this fix, I'm thinking of keeping my PS3 version after all.

Here's the link to the fix...give it a try. Worked wonders for me.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960609-fallout-3-game-of-the-year-edition/55637913

waitttt... if I had the fallout 3 GOTY for PS3 and installed it on my PS3 and sold it... Can I play the DLC with a vanilla disc???

[quote name='typical guy']Oh man, I don't even have the game yet but this is tempting to get all the add-on content and just get the game later. If I had known about this before, I would have picked up Fallout 3 for $10 from Best Buy on black friday![/QUOTE]

The GOTY version includes the original game as well. ;)

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']GOTY Freezing/Crashing Fix:

OK guys, check out what I found...and I've tested this for the last 4 hours or so. I found what actually seems to be a valid fix for the PS3 version of GOTY freezing issues.

[/QUOTE]

whoa!!! thanks for this!!! I'm going to try this once I get a chance!! Thanks! XD

[quote name='oli821']waitttt... if I had the fallout 3 GOTY for PS3 and installed it on my PS3 and sold it... Can I play the DLC with a vanilla disc???[/QUOTE]

No, you can't install the DLC on the PS3 version as everything (original game + DLC) is on 1 bluray disk. The 360 version on the other hand has a separate 2nd disk specifically for installing to your hard drive. So you can only do this with the 360 GOTY edition.

A cheap alternative for the PS3 is to gameshare the content by buying it on PSN and splitting it 5 ways. Check out the gameshare thread for more info.

bread's done
Back