Fallout 3 or Left 4 Dead?

Treehouse Gamer

CAGiversary!
After taking advantage of the Toys R Us B2G1F sale, I picked up a $60 interim game to act as a placeholder for my next game. Coming up, my two options are Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead.

I know these games aren't too comparable, but I was curious what everyone's opinion is for which game I should swap with. Also, does anyone know if TRU will be carrying Left 4 Dead?

My feelings on Fallout 3:

I seem to be the only one that thinks all of the videos shown of this make it look janky and boring. This year's E3 footage just didn't compare to how awesome COD4's All Ghillied Up gameplay looked last year. I know there's got to be some magical element when you actually pick up the controller, so that's giving me the benefit of the doubt. I love customization and game-altering decisions (especially if they offer me the opportune to be a dick). The VATS system seems a little kitschy; however, like I said, my views will probably change once I have it in my hands.

My feelings on Left 4 Dead:

I'm not a huge zombie apocalypse guy, but I do love the Walking Dead graphic novels. This game seems to capture much of the spirit from those books, so that already has me pumped. The fact that it's almost entirely based on multiplayer has me a little scared. I love multiplayer, but I do get weary after a while from it (I haven't touched TF2 in months). Also about the multiplayer, I know that if I were to pickup this game that I would need to pick it up as soon as it comes out. Multiplayer numbers, for the most part, take a nose dive after a few months. I love Valve, and the game looks interesting.

So what's everyone else's take?

I'm excited for both of them but i probably won't buy left for dead. Games that revolve around online multiplayer always leave me frustrated. 12 year old kids spewing N-bombs, your teammates killing themselves, lag, people exploiting, more lag, ect...

Do you have friends who will also be getting Left4Dead? I don't know if this would even be an issue for you, but personally I really didn't enjoy playing CS much once I found friends to play with, and I feel like it would be the same with Left4Dead, especially since it seems like a very intimate (4-person, co-op intensive) multiplayer.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get Left4Dead if I knew a few people who were also getting it. Otherwise, I'd lean toward Fallout 3.

since Left 4 dead is mainly multiplayer, why not get left 4 dead now and fallout later on. thats what i'm doing to give myself enough time to play through fable and all that jazz. and seeing as fallout is pure singleplayer i think it'll be ok to pick up later on

[quote name='lokizz']id go for fallout 3 since theres a mod for haflife 2 which kind does some of what left 4 dead is supposed to do.[/quote]

Its for Counter Strike Source, and its not even close to what Left 4 Dead is trying to do.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Left 4 Dead.

Fallout 3 is an oblivion mod from what I hear.[/quote]

I wouldn't call it a mod for Oblivion, I think it may fall under total conversion, but definitely not mod. The mechanics are very different from Oblivion.

Anyway, if you were purchasing either I would strongly suggest picking them up for the PC, cuz there is going to be a pretty good fan base for both games. The modding/map making communities are going to embrace the hell out of both of these franchises.

Since you aren't purchasing them for the PC I'd suggest getting Fallout 3 it just seems pretty awesome and it looks like you'd get a lot of replay value out of it, even on a console.

Since you're getting this from TRU, I assume you're asking for opinions on the 360 versions? If that is the case, I'll go with Fallout 3. I understand that TF2 is lacking Valve support until the new patch is coming for the 360 sometimes this winter. L4D probably also has better community on the PC than 360.

I'm still deciding on whether to pick up Fallout 3 for PC or 360, but I am definitely grabbing L4D on PC.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Its for Counter Strike Source, and its not even close to what Left 4 Dead is trying to do.[/quote]

haha. you call fallout an oblivion mod but then try to defend l4d when somebody calls it a half life mod. funny funny. btw cs source is pretty much a mod of half life so your saying it's not a mod but a mod of a mod. just saying your logic is silly. both of these games are going to be good though.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Its for Counter Strike Source, and its not even close to what Left 4 Dead is trying to do.[/QUOTE]I think he's talking about this, which is far from a Counter-Strike: Source mod.

bread's done
Back