Fallout 3--which system?

[quote name='ninja dog']81% from swedish PC Gamer.

My one big worry is that it won't be fun to explore in this game. The loot in Oblivion was absolute shit, with no pay off after spending an hour going through a huge cave, except maybe an apple and some tongs. Outside of towns, it was just monsters, the occasional monument, and loot, but nothing interesting going on. I still had fun exploring for exploring's sake and dropped like 65 hours into the game, but I have no incentive to play it ever again.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

But, it was the user-mods that made the game replayable, with actual plot =)

One advantage for us married folk, it removes one factor from arguing over using the one tv-set =)

I'm still debating on my mind on which to get. Since I don't play mods, that is not a deciding factor for me. One moment I'll be leaning towards 360, and the other moment I'll be wanting the PC version. My computer isn't as good. It'll meet the minimum requirements, but I'm not sure how it run.

Maybe I'll end up buying both 360 and PC, like I did for Morrowind.

Even though the construction set isn't being released the same date as Fallout's release date, I will be getting it for the PC.

Eventually the game will get boring on the 360 (imo) due to the lack of content being released. User created content will keep the game interesting for a very long time.

I preordered the collector's edition on Gamestop's website last night. Free overnight shipping plus the CD and poster plus a Vault Dweller's Guide was worth paying $5 in tax vs no tax and slow shipping at Amazon.

Man, mods kinda suck.

Really hope the actual game is good... an 81% isn't encouraging considering the amount of hype this game is getting.

[quote name='ninja dog']wow, the van buren playable tech demo leaked. pretty clunky stuff.[/QUOTE]

That's been out for a while.

[quote name='keithp']That's been out for a while.[/quote]

And most tech demos *are* pretty clunky... Van Buren has nothing to do with what will actually be released as Fallout 3. For better or worse. None of the same people were even involved.

What we do get as Fallout 3 is going to be a great game as its own entity, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a 360 so I'll be getting it on PC. My HD 2600 XT will be able to run it fine. I'm also planning on getting Far Cry 2 PC. Lots of good pc games coming out, im excited.

[quote name='ighosty']I'm getting the 360 version, because of the exclusive DLC, don't remember if they said the PC was getting that or not.[/quote]
Yea its exclusive to 360 and pc

[quote name='fifthcore']Getting the PS3 version. I am sure the DLC will be dog armor.[/quote]
They should actually release a free Dog Armor DLC pack. :lol:

I'm getting it on 360 since my wrists always kill me when playing PC Games. My PC could easily handle it but if I'm going to end up plugging in a controller I might as well nip it at the source.

ugh, after watching the recent vids on gametrailers, I'm thinking no system. Looks like the most boring FPS ever. The enemies in fucking Doom 1 try harder to get out of the way of your gun.

I'm grabbing it on 360 for the exclusive DLC. I would get it on PC, but since my gaming rig is pretty old I'd never play it.

I'm getting the PC version. It cost less, will look better, I still get achievements and all the conveniences of LIVE, and I'll still play it with a 360 controller.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I'm getting the PC version. It cost less, will look better, I still get achievements and all the conveniences of LIVE, and I'll still play it with a 360 controller.[/quote]

Speaking of that, I wonder if there are any good deals on the thingie that lets you plug your controller into your PC. Last I checked, it was ludicrously overpriced, although not as overprised as the 60 and 120gb HDDs. I dunno if I have any spare USB ports anyway, though. Meh. Not that I mind keyboard/mouse control, at least not on Fallout, but if I ever bought Lego Indy, I'd want it on PC, and I'd also NEED to use the controller.

[quote name='deliveryboy15']Here is a good interview with some important questions addressed.

Highlights:
no DRM
not "console-ified"
DLC for 360 same day for PC

I've been having the same debate as you about whether or not to pick it up for the 360 or PC, but after reading this interview and the savings of $10. I've decided to get the PC version.[/quote]
I'll probably get the pc version then. Can you alternate between 1st person and 3rd person viewpoint?

As far as control schemes go, I love kb/m for 1st person games. But I feel more comfortable using a gamepad for 3rd person games, so I've been using my Xbox controller a lot on those types of games (DMC4, Tomb Raider Legend, etc.). So "Games For Windows" has been very good for me.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Speaking of that, I wonder if there are any good deals on the thingie that lets you plug your controller into your PC. Last I checked, it was ludicrously overpriced, although not as overprised as the 60 and 120gb HDDs. I dunno if I have any spare USB ports anyway, though. Meh. Not that I mind keyboard/mouse control, at least not on Fallout, but if I ever bought Lego Indy, I'd want it on PC, and I'd also NEED to use the controller.[/QUOTE]

I got mine at Radio Shack a while ago for like $20, so you may want to check there.

[quote name='mogamer']I'll probably get the pc version then. Can you alternate between 1st person and 3rd person viewpoint? [/quote]

You can, but I'm afraid the 3rd person view is not much more useful than it was in Oblivion, at least if the Official Xbox Magazine is to be believed (they made a brief comment that the 3rd person viewpoint does not work well).

From what I've read, your character still suffers from "surface skiing" like in Oblivion. If you got used to that from the first game, then third person won't be so bad. Other than that, they have made the third person animations a little bit better.

[quote name='ninja dog']ugh, after watching the recent vids on gametrailers, I'm thinking no system. Looks like the most boring FPS ever. The enemies in fucking Doom 1 try harder to get out of the way of your gun.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='eswat']From what I've read, your character still suffers from "surface skiing" like in Oblivion.[/quote]

What is surface skiing? I tried a Google search on that, but couldn't find anything descriptive?

[quote name='eswat']From what I've read, your character still suffers from "surface skiing" like in Oblivion. If you got used to that from the first game, then third person won't be so bad. Other than that, they have made the third person animations a little bit better.[/quote]

It's not so much the janky animations that are the problem as it is trying to target enemies that make 3rd person unplayable, at least in Oblivion.

[quote name='Gourd']What is surface skiing? I tried a Google search on that, but couldn't find anything descriptive?[/quote]

Well, it's just kind of a descriptive phrase, maybe eswat came up with it himself, to denote the bizarre appearance of player character movement in 3rd person. It just looks like... skiing across the surface of the world.

[quote name='ninja dog']ugh, after watching the recent vids on gametrailers, I'm thinking no system. Looks like the most boring FPS ever. The enemies in fucking Doom 1 try harder to get out of the way of your gun.[/quote]

Maybe you should try it before you knock it rather than just watching videos of other people playing it, or at least reading a review. It's not exactly an FPS, though; if it is, then so was Oblivion. It's more of an RPG. But hey, if you don't like good games, stick to Halo or whatever floats your boat. I realize not everyone likes to think while they're shooting stuff.

*&^*$&^$% Steam! Why didn't they announce this sooner? My friends already pre-ordered it for me for my birthday. Oh well, at least I'll be getting a lunchbox and a bobble head :p

I thought about getting it for PS3, but then I decided I'd just get a 35' HDMI cable for my PC and then I can do the kb/m at my desk or on the couch with a 360 controller in my PC if I want the big screen. Perfect.

No pre-order discount for Fallout 3 from Steam? I'll stick with a hard copy.

I'm still on the fence about which system to get it on. I guess I got until Tuesday to decide which version to get.

[quote name='Over easy']No pre-order discount for Fallout 3 from Steam? I'll stick with a hard copy.

I'm still on the fence about which system to get it on. I guess I got until Tuesday to decide which version to get.[/quote]

That's what bugs me about digital distribution. They don't have to pay to package it and ship it to a retailer, nor do they have to pay a retailer for shelf space, and you don't get a physical game or manual or anything, so give us a freegin' discount! It ticks me off when GameStop says digitally distributed games have to be the same price as retail games to be "fair". Screw you! They're saving a ton of money. Cut us in. Until that happens, I have absolutely no incentive most of the time.

Which is why I pre-ordered the PC version from Circuit City a few weeks back when they offered a $10 gift card with it.

If it was $39.99 on Steam, I would have done that (except for the fact that I already had the pre-order, and they make you "buy" the gift card in advance and then just ring the game up $10 cheaper).

[quote name='Oktoberfest']an xbox360fanboy.com article linking to a teamxbox.com article...

I don't think it needs to be said that this should be taken with a grain of salt[/quote]

Yep, I found it pretty amusing. Did you really expect a 360 fan site to say anything different? lol

I'll be getting it on the PC or PS3.....probably the PC because the game will run at higher resolutions and for the mods. I couldn't do nearly the stuff with Oblivion on the 360 that I could do with the PC version.

Is it confirmed that pc will have live and achievements? is it games for windows?

and no suprise on the ps3 news posted above.. i guess we will know when the ign reviews come up for sure.

[quote name='guyver2077']Is it confirmed that pc will have live and achievements? is it games for windows?

and no suprise on the ps3 news posted above.. i guess we will know when the ign reviews come up for sure.[/QUOTE]

I think it works both on XP and vista.
The PC version has friends list and live achievements. I opened the packing box at work today. Unfortunately I'm waiting till atleast XMas before I buy this game due to lack of funds, but figured I would give the heads up.

Reviews are up at 1up, ign, and giant bomb.

http://www.giantbomb.com/fallout-3/61-20504/reviews/

"Across the three platforms, the PC version of Fallout 3 is the best, provided you have hardware that can handle it. The PC version has better lighting, a bit more graphical detail, and just looks better, overall. It's a Games For Windows Live game, too, so if you're dead set on playing the game with an Xbox 360 controller, you can do that on the PC, as well. Additionally, it has achievements, just like the 360 version, though they're kept separately--this means you could technically double up, play the game to completion on both the 360 and the PC, and have double the points as a result.

The 360 version is no slouch, though. It might not be quite as pretty as the PC version, but it still looks fine. The load times remain pretty reasonable. The PlayStation 3 version is below the 360 version, by comparison. The level of detail when you're in the wasteland or other areas where you can see for great distances isn't quite as good, the game seems to be a bit more aliased, and the frame rate isn't as smooth. Plus, the PS3 version of the game doesn't have any trophy support (yet), and the game actually freezes every time a status message, such as "so and so is online" or "DUDE HOW DID U GET FALLOUT 3 EARLY!!!!???" is on-screen. That's bad enough to make you want to log out of the PlayStation Network before booting up the PS3 version of the game."

Quoted from Giant Bomb Review

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I think it works both on XP and vista.
The PC version has friends list and live achievements. I opened the packing box at work today. Unfortunately I'm waiting till atleast XMas before I buy this game due to lack of funds, but figured I would give the heads up.[/quote]

Very nice. I like the fact that it works perfectly well with the 360 controller. The way my pc is set up.. it is not very comfortable to sit in front of and use mouse/kb so I always output to my tv and use the 360 controller.

Cross play with 360 would of been nice. They dont seem to implement that feature anymore in simultaneous released games.

Don't have money for it right now... but when I do, I'll be buying it for the Xbox 360... the only way to roll for Multiplatform games... woot!

The Giant Bomb review seems to be the most realistic. I don't really like what I'm reading, but I might still pick it up today...um, dunno why :lol:

[quote name='ninja dog']The Giant Bomb review seems to be the most realistic. I don't really like what I'm reading, but I might still pick it up today...um, dunno why :lol:[/QUOTE]

What don't you like? Seems alot better than Oblivion, and I had fun with that despite it's flaws. Plus, it's FALLOUT, y'know? One of the best damn settings in gaming history! Not to mention the replay value it should have. Add in mods, and ohhhhh, yah, ba-b-y-y-y-y-!!!!!

Staind- don't know of any deals yet, but wait a week or two if you can and there may be one. I've got a GS gift certificate I'm using to get it for $25, otherwise my cheapass would wait.

bread's done
Back