Fallout 3 & Windows 7 problems

hero101

CAGiversary!
Feedback
207 (100%)
I keep getting the black screen of death when I try playing this game on windows 7. I know my laptop meets the requirements. I tried to run it under vista and windows xp compatibility.

Laptop
SPECS: AMD Phenom (tm) II N830 Triple-core processor 2.10 GHZ
Ram: 4 Gbs

I hope this helps.

As I recall, Fallout 3 seems to have issues with multi-core processors on PCs and they were never fully resolved. On one system the game may run fine, on another it throws fits like this.

I was pulling my hair out over the weekend on this, since I just now was loading Fallout 3. Do some Google searches on the .ini fixes to set it to only use 2 cores if you have a 4 core system. It still hangs, but if I'm lucky one session out of 4 is very stable. Before those .ini edits , it would hang within 5-10 minutes every time.

[quote name='turls']I was pulling my hair out over the weekend on this, since I just now was loading Fallout 3. Do some Google searches on the .ini fixes to set it to only use 2 cores if you have a 4 core system. It still hangs, but if I'm lucky one session out of 4 is very stable. Before those .ini edits , it would hang within 5-10 minutes every time.[/QUOTE]

Prime example of how going all out on tech is not worth it. Gotta wait til these games catch up before throwing away cash like that.

Oh boy, Fallout 3. Where to begin?

Me and a friend started Fallout 3 way back when it first came out on PC on XP. I had a pretty shitty setup, and his was a lot better than mine. He ended up beating it, and I ended up playing about 3-6 hours before calling it quits because I am not a fan of playing a new game on the lowest setting. The game ran fine, but my hardware was holding me back 100%.

Fast forward to 3-4 years later. Me and the same friend go to play FO3. This time I have high end hardware, and he has low - mid range hardware. We are both on Windows 7.

Let me tell you one thing. This game is horrible on W7. The infamous Gamebryo stuttering, and over 30-40 CTD's during my play through really made this game almost unbearable. I had to force Vsync off, which completely breaks the engine to get rid of the stutter. For some reason the stutter remover mod didn't work for me properly. My friend didn't have the stutter, but he crashed way more than me, and he was using mods which was even worse.

This game is just too random on different hardware.

All I can say is just make sure DX is up to date, and make sure GFWL is properly updated. Both of those can be the causing factors. If it still doesn't work, I would recommend finding some bare minimum ini tweaks to get the game to even function properly.

[quote name='Megazell']Prime example of how going all out on tech is not worth it. Gotta wait til these games catch up before throwing away cash like that.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about "going all out"? Having 4 cores? The PC is almost 3 years old (it was built probably about the time Fallout 3 came out). Its a family PC with tons of stuff on it and usually is fine for games. It wasn't purchased with the main intention of being a gaming PC.

The problem here wasn't the technology of the PC, but the lack of good fixes and documentation (and testing) from the developer. Typical frustration in the PC gaming world.

The game looks beautiful until it hangs. Its actually been my son playing it, and he's had numerous multi-hour sessions without a crash.

[quote name='turls']What are you talking about "going all out"? Having 4 cores? The PC is almost 3 years old (it was built probably about the time Fallout 3 came out). Its a family PC with tons of stuff on it and usually is fine for games. It wasn't purchased with the main intention of being a gaming PC.

The problem here wasn't the technology of the PC, but the lack of good fixes and documentation (and testing) from the developer. Typical frustration in the PC gaming world.

The game looks beautiful until it hangs. Its actually been my son playing it, and he's had numerous multi-hour sessions without a crash.[/QUOTE]

No need to take the 'Defend Thy Purchase' tone. This game and the errors you encountered are not isolated incidents. Many games have problem with dual and 4 core rigs and yet run fine on single core machines.

Where did I say this was the fault of the PC. What I stated was geared towards the games not the tech. Games are slowly being programmed to take advantage of dual and 4 core rigs...but many are not...hence problems...hence the waste is going all out on the tech side.

It's just a retail fail, bro.

[quote name='vocab']Fast forward to 3-4 years later. Me and the same friend go to play FO3. This time I have high end hardware, and he has low - mid range hardware. We are both on Windows 7.[/QUOTE]

I'm just going to be nitpicky here, but Fallout 3 came out in fall of 2008. That was just over 2 years ago.

Anyway, the fact remains. Fallout 3 is a mess. Even with all the mods, I couldn't seem to get the game to run for more than a half-hour without a CTD. The mods made it more bearable and gave me a desire to play more, but the mod system is so fucking complicated. The following are mod tools I have downloaded and used to get mods working : Fallout Mod Manager, Fallout Script Extender, FO3Edit, ArchiveInvalidationI Invalidated!, FO3 Configator and BOSS.

BOSS is supposed to help with your load order (you need to load the mods in a certain order otherwise it will cause major problems). Sometimes BOSS works, but there are so many mods (and many different variations of single mods) that there will be still issues if you have play with a ton of mods. Especially the overhaul mods. Fallout 3 is great, but it's just a huge pain in the ass to get it working and then trying to get all the mods working as well.

I wish more games had simple modding like Torchlight. Simply download TorchLeech and you can view and download all the mods via that program without having to deal with all that extra crap in Oblivion/Fallout 3 (I know it's pretty unrealistic with a massive RPG, but I can still dream).

bread's done
Back