Fallout 3 - XBox 360 or PS3 - Which version should I get?

MidnightMarauder74

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I really enjoyed playing the original Fallout games on the PC a decade ago. I also had a blast playing Oblivion. So, of course, I can't wait to play Fallout 3 when it comes out! My question is: Which version, XBox 360 or PS3, should I buy? I'd like to reserve a copy of the Survival Edition on Amazon (yeah...I know...an extra $60 for a clock but I'm a sucker for this game!!:baby:) soon because I don't want to take a chance that it sells out (although it could be another Halo 3 LE and produced in mass quantities :roll:).

I'm leaning towards the 360 version due to the promised exclusive DLC. Also, having Achievements doesn't hurt although it's not that important to me. However, I did buy Oblivion GOTY edition on the PS3 because I thought it was slightly better in the graphics department. Also, the DLC eventually came out on the PS3. Will this happen again with Fallout 3?

So here's a summary of the pros of each version (IMHO):

XBox 360 - confirmed DLC, Achievements

PS3 - slightly better graphics??? (although this is pure assumption based on Oblivion), no RROD?

What do you other CAGs think?

Between 360 and PS3, I'd choose more content over any slight graphic increase. You could have added a poll too.

Personally, with the user made mods that came out for Oblivion, I may very well be going PC on this one. Added content, and an almost guaranteed boost to graphics.

[quote name='Chacrana']To be fair, we don't know that Fallout 3 will look better on the PS3.

Personally, I'd go for more content.[/quote]

I agree with you. Nobody knows yet if there will be a difference in the graphics department between either versions. With no guarantee that the PS3 version will look better, I'm happy with more content on the 360. Besides, I have a bunch of points I need to use!

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Between 360 and PS3, I'd choose more content over any slight graphic increase. You could have added a poll too.

Personally, with the user made mods that came out for Oblivion, I may very well be going PC on this one. Added content, and an almost guaranteed boost to graphics.[/quote]

I do like the user made content on PCs. That's one thing that has made PC gaming so fun for me. But my PC's almost 4 years old so I have to go with the console version.

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']PS3 - slightly better graphics??? (although this is pure assumption based on Oblivion)[/QUOTE]
That is an extraordinarily faulty assumption.

Oblivion had better graphics on PS3 because it was released later. Some graphical improvements were added on in a patch for 360, but nothing beats more development time to improve graphics.

If anything, a better assumption would be for better graphics on the 360 version, as that is the primary version being developed, and thus the one having the most time spent on (though, as it's not necessarily the one having the most GRAPHIC WORK time spent on, I wouldn't make such an assumption.)

why rule out the PC version? PC version seems to possibly be including the stuff on the 360 plus it'll run and play better...

I'm getting it on 360 due to content and my computer being super shitty. plus it plays alot like oblivion and my 360 was where I liked playing it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']why rule out the PC version? PC version seems to possibly be including the stuff on the 360 plus it'll run and play better... [/quote]

He'd have to upgrade his computer.

Man, that's really a hard call. I'm going with 360 but only because it's my main console and I want to get those achievements. DLC is a nice bonus but if I have to pay extra for it I will probably not get it.

PS3 for me, due to the likely graphical boost. Honestly, I'm not too interested in DLC (unless it's free) and couldn't care less for achievements.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']why rule out the PC version? PC version seems to possibly be including the stuff on the 360 plus it'll run and play better...

I'm getting it on 360 due to content and my computer being super shitty. plus it plays alot like oblivion and my 360 was where I liked playing it.[/quote]

PC version's out for me since my computer's almost 4 years old and am not planning to upgrade or buy a new one anytime soon. Sure, the PC version will have the best graphics provided you have a PC with the horsepower. For me, I'm content with the console version. Besides, I love my console gaming experience: 50" LCD HDTV, surround sound, and comfy leather couch! :D

[quote name='cochesecochese']Man, that's really a hard call. I'm going with 360 but only because it's my main console and I want to get those achievements. DLC is a nice bonus but if I have to pay extra for it I will probably not get it.[/quote]

It is a hard call. The only thing that bothers me w/ the 360 is hardware reliability. My power brick had to be replaced after only a couple of weeks! Otherwise, it looks like 360 for me, too. I'm also looking forward to the DLC, even if I have to pay extra for it because I've got points to burn (thanks to that Target coupon! :lol:).

PC version for me.

But if I had a choice between PS3 and 360 I would go 360 for the extra content.

Optional Install/Required Install ruled out because the 360 is supposed to have the ability to install games by this fall update, which will be in November. So load times should be even on both systems.

I agree, go with the 360 for downloads and achievements.

Myself, I'll be going with the PC version - better graphics and mods for those that have a computer that can handle it!

Getting it for PC. If I was still an achievement whore, I'd get it for both and slowly crawl through both games as different characters (asshole on the PC, paladin on the 360).

I'm going with 360 for better controls (I don't really like the DS3 for FPS), more (hopefully good) content and... that's about it. That being said, I played Oblivion pretty heavily on both systems and enjoyed them both equally.

i saw some new gameplay video of fallout 3 and i thought it looked pretty stupid. i'm hoping this one lives up to the hype but i've lowered my expectations to avoid massive disappointment

and PC all the way

[quote name='tehweezner']i saw some new gameplay video of fallout 3 and i thought it looked pretty stupid. i'm hoping this one lives up to the hype but i've lowered my expectations to avoid massive disappointment

and PC all the way[/quote]

Yup, there's a lot of hype for this game. I had a blast playing the first 2 on the PC. But this is a different game. We'll have to judge it on its own merits. Hope it lives up to the high expectations!

[quote name='Ex~']That is an extraordinarily faulty assumption.

Oblivion had better graphics on PS3 because it was released later. Some graphical improvements were added on in a patch for 360, but nothing beats more development time to improve graphics.

If anything, a better assumption would be for better graphics on the 360 version, as that is the primary version being developed, and thus the one having the most time spent on (though, as it's not necessarily the one having the most GRAPHIC WORK time spent on, I wouldn't make such an assumption.)[/QUOTE]

QFT. Being that they're released at the same time I anticipate identical graphics.

I'm upset about the DLC not being on PS3. I'll still get it for PS3, however not at full price, definitely will be at a budget price point.

You have a 360 don't you? Why not get it for the 360 instead of sitting around for awhile being upset about the PS3 not having DLC?

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm upset about the DLC not being on PS3. I'll still get it for PS3, however not at full price, definitely will be at a budget price point.[/QUOTE]

Budget price point? Look how long it took Oblivion to drop. I just saw the edition w/expansion selling for full price at a B&M yesterday.

PS3 or PC for me. I love the PS3 controller. I just wish they would switch the left analog stick and the D-Pad, but other than that, it's perfect. I would not buy the DLC anyway.

PC for me. Even though my computer probably won't run it very well. I'll just use the lowest settings the game provides.

Mods, mods, mods for this game are the deal breaker. Just like Oblivion.

[quote name='naes']I love the PS3 controller. I just wish they would switch the left analog stick and the D-Pad, but other than that, it's perfect. [/quote]

i would love the 360 and ps3 controllers equally if the left dpad and stick were swapped, but they aren't so I prefer the 360 controller

Without reading any of the other posts I will say this:

I own a PS3 and a computer that will probably not play Fallout 3.

Now if every version works fine and plays identically I would say get it for the PC if you have a computer that will run it well.

If you have both a PS3 and a 360 I would say get it for the 360 since as of right now it looks like the PS3 version is getting shafted concerning DLC.

As for myself? I'm waiting for reviews.

[quote name='torifile']PS3 because you'll probably be able to game share the DLC cutting its cost by 80%.[/quote]

Yeah it will be really cheap, since you know. It won't exist.

You would think that if the PS3 version looked better, that is the version they would be using for all the trade show demos instead of the Xbox 360 version. Still I will be getting the PC version for the possibilities of the mods.

Definitely the 360 version for me. Graphics will most likely be identical and the DLC is a must have for any fan of Bethesda. I enjoyed the Shivering Isles expansion more than Oblivion itself and that says a lot. For those of you that don't care about the DLC: What the hell is wrong with you?

the people that "don't care about the DLC" are probably almost all just upset that the DLC is exclusive to 360. Get over your biases, people..

[quote name='Kendal']Yeah it will be really cheap, since you know. It won't exist.[/QUOTE]
There's going to be *no* DLC on the PS3? I find that very hard to believe. It's like saying that BioShock is never going to the PS3.

[quote name='torifile']There's going to be *no* DLC on the PS3? I find that very hard to believe. It's like saying that BioShock is never going to the PS3.[/quote]
They have come out and said that only the 360/PC versions of the game will be getting DLC. But I doubt that includes possible expansion packs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']They have come out and said that only the 360/PC versions of the game will be getting DLC. But I doubt that includes possible expansion packs.[/QUOTE]
They have said that there will be exclusive DLC for the 360 and PC. They did *not* say that the PS3 would be getting no DLC. That's a big difference.
"...We aren't going to get into the details of the hows and whys," said Bethesda marketing boss Pete Hines in an e-mail. "[DLC] will be exclusive for PC and 360. [We're] not going to give any other qualifiers or clarifications as it relates to other platforms."

[quote name='benjamouth']I think I'll probably get the 360 version, as I don't have a PS3 or a PC that will run it.

I hope I'm making the right call :whistle2:k[/quote]

Getting the game on any platform is better than not getting the game at all! So assuming the game meets all the hype, I'm sure you're making the right call.

I just switched my preorder to PS3 due to the fact that I'm having some super-aggravating black crush issues with both my 360 and HD-A35.

ps. If anyone has had these black crush issues and knows how to fix them, please PM me. I'm using a Samsung LNT-4661F, 360 on component, HD-A35 over HDMI 2.

Itll be the ps3 version for me.I sold my 360 and dont have powerful pc to run it.Also,I think Ill wait until Im finish the games in my backlog and buy it used.Gotta save some green these days.

I'm interested in picking up Fallout 3, but I haven't really been following if there are any benefits to choosing one system over the other. I thought I remembered reading that the Xbox 360 was getting some exclusive content, but if it's anything like the way things were done with Oblivion, it all eventually became available for the PS3 in the end.

Right now I'm leaning towards picking up the PS3 version.

Oh, and the PC version is certainly out of the question. My computer is a bit too old to handle Fallout 3, I'm sure.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I am getting it on the 360, because I am getting it for that system. I guess it really boils down to the added content later on and I like the controller more.

bread's done
Back