Fallout for PC (on COG) for free until April 6!

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Free game is Fallout 1
Link: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout/
Offer is good till ~1:55 PM EDT April 7

CD Projekt Red will give away a "legendary" PC RPG for free on GOG.com this Thursday, 5th April, Eurogamer can reveal.

The giveaway coincides with CD Projekt's Spring Conference, which is being streamed live at 5pm GMT (presumably 6pm BST).

Note that giveaway has nothing to do with the "extraordinary" conference announcement CD Projekt has been teasing.

CD Projekt Red head of marketing Michal Platkow-Gilewski explained to Eurogamer: "No, there will be no announcement of a new game.

"But to give you some hints and not to spoil the surprise, CD Projekt RED and GOG.com have prepared something very special for all the PC fans of The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings, who already have the game, as well as for all those who will buy one any time in the future.

"It is something really unique," he added.

"More to come on the conference."
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-legendary-pc-rpg-free-on-gog-com-on-thursday

Although the deal is not live yet, wanted to post as a heads up in case you don't check the site daily ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they actually run GOG, it could conceivably be any number of the RPGs in their catalog. Of course, they would have the easiest time giving away their own game (Witcher), but I'm sure they can swing something else.

Maybe I'm the only one reading it this way, but that sounds to me like they are going to give Witcher 1 to anyone who already bought Witcher 2 on GOG and anyone who will buy it in the future. Doesn't sound like a straight giveaway to me.

The whole thing is phrased very confusingly because it sounds like what Eurogamer is talking about and what CD Projekt are talking about are two completely different things.

It's been known for quite some time now that the PC version will be upgraded to the Enhanced Edition on the 17th to coincide with the Xbox release and additional content they are getting. I would hope this isn't just referring to that though because it's not any kind of big secret at all.

Witcher 1 would be nice for those who don't have it, but I wouldn't complain about a classic RPG from GOG's collection either, though in all likelihood I would already own it. :p

As a company that brought back and gotten classics like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Freespace etc to be both easily available digitally, run on modern systems, and at an affordable price:

They are welcome to call whatever game they are giving away for free whatever they want.

And how is this not a deal? This isn't a Contest. It's a purchase of an online service with a checkout price of $0. It's as much a deal as any iOS game going "free", or Steam giving away Portal or TF2.

I'm not sure I understand the hate going on here. This is a deal because it is for an as of yet unnamed game for free. You get a game for free on Thursday, free is a pretty good deal, because it's free.

This is way better than the MSRP threads that show up here all the time, and yet still people come in here and troll the ever living shit out of it. No wonder people never wanna post deals on here.

Edit:Looks like you have to have the Witcher 2, but that still isn't a bad deal as lot of people have that.

Thanks for the heads up. GoG been kind to us in the past. Cannot wait to see what they are cooking up for us now.

Also free or buy something and get something free = deal in by book. Sorry bandwagon kiddies ;)

I wish to complain because it will be free so that's somehow not a deal, I guess. Also it's in the future so that also makes it not a deal somehow /sarcasm.

Thanks for the heads up, CrossFireXT17 !

I think there is some confusion here. They are talking about 2 things.

#1 - a free game will be given away on Thursday. This is definitely a deal.

#2 - there is an announcement that will make fans of the Witcher happy, which has nothing to do with the free game. Quote: Note that giveaway has nothing to do with the "extraordinary" conference announcement CD Projekt has been teasing.

CD Projekt Red head of marketing Michal Platkow-Gilewski explained to Eurogamer: "No, there will be no announcement of a new game.

"But to give you some hints and not to spoil the surprise, CD Projekt RED and GOG.com have prepared something very special for all the PC fans of The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings, who already have the game, as well as for all those who will buy one any time in the future.

It may be an announcement of the translation of the books, since only two have been released in English, but who knows.

[quote name='buckythekat']I wonder if #2 is the extras from the 360 version coming to the PC version?[/QUOTE]

You mean the Enhanced Edition extras? Like the new cutscenes, 4+ hours of gameplay, etc? They've said since the the beginning that the PC version will be getting all the new content for free as a patch when the 360 version comes out April 17. The 360 is not going to have any content exclusive to it.

[quote name='HornyPony']Skyrim or no deal.[/QUOTE]

Skyrim's not "legendary".
Ain't been long enough, for that game itself to be that.
It's surely going to be on the list, down the road...

But, the Elder Scrolls series itself sure is legendary, being around since Arena; but getting recognition-galore since probably Daggerfall.

If we're talking "legendary", I'd guess we'd likely see CDP giving away PST; BG1; BG2; Fallout 1; or Fallout 2.
Witcher 1 just ain't legendary, yet - ain't been around long enough on the PC.
It could be what CDP might give-away, since it's one of their own.
I dunno if EA would let them swing a Ultima game, as some of those might be considered "legendary."

[quote name='MysterD']...I dunno if EA would let them swing a Ultima game, as some of those might be considered "legendary."[/QUOTE]

Then you'll be pleasantly surprised by this from last year. :bouncy:

[quote name='MysterD']Skyrim's not "legendary".

But, the Elder Scrolls series itself sure is legendary, being around since Arena; but getting recognition-galore since probably Daggerfall.

If we're talking "legendary", I'd guess we'd likely see CDP giving away PST; BG1; BG2; Fallout 1; or Fallout 2.
I dunno if EA would let them swing a Ultima game, as some of those might be considered "legendary."[/QUOTE]

sarcasm-meter-sarcasm-meter-demotivational-poster-1223486438.jpg

Everyone needs to relax (myself included).

For crying out loud the company want's to give us a free game and we're all going mad with rage for some reason.

[quote name='Mugatu']Everyone needs to relax (myself included).

For crying out loud the company want's to give us a free game and we're all going mad with rage for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Yay for FREE game.
Even if it is something I own already outside of GOG!
GOG's extras goodies are always SWEEEEEEEEEEET.

As "legendary" is in quotations, might it not mean the game itself is legendary in terms of acclaim but instead the scope, characters or even the word itself might be featured in the game. A quick search of GOG doesn't turn up much, except Legend of Grimrock and King's Bounty. While either would be incredible, both seem pretty unlikely.

They had King's Bounty: The Legend on sale for $2.49 last year (extremely low price for GOG), so it's certainly possible they'd give it away for free this week.

cdpc_08b.png

Hopefully this works, but no mention here of "legendary" or "RPG." But it is a free game, so I guess we'll find out at 5pm GMT(12pm EST, if I'm not mistaken) tomorrow.

[quote name='bdb2m']

Hopefully this works, but no mention here of "legendary" or "RPG." But it is a free game, so I guess we'll find out at 5pm GMT(12pm EST, if I'm not mistaken) tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Also it says "all our loyal fans" so this is separate from the free surprise for people who bought Witcher 2.

As for a sale, I don't know if they will put Witcher 2 on sale on Thursday but I bet it's likely to go on sale when the update is live on the 17th.

[quote name='MysterD']Skyrim's not "legendary".

I dunno if EA would let them swing a Ultima game, as some of those might be considered "legendary."[/QUOTE]

I still own Daggerfall on floppy, I hope its not Daggerfall.

[quote name='Sulik2']I still own Daggerfall on floppy, I hope its not Daggerfall.[/QUOTE]

Daggerfall is already free. So is Arena.

Arena
Daggerfall

They actually play OK if you take the time to remap the controls to a more modern setting. It also helps if you played them when they were new, as you'll be more willing to forgive the overall clunkiness.

When I tried these last year for nostalgia's sake, I was surprised how old these games feel today. I still remember paying full price for each of them. And tearing my hair out and how bug-ridden they were.

[quote name='Motoki']Also it says "all out loyal fans" so this is separate from the free surprise for people who bought Witcher 2.

As for a sale, I don't know if they will put Witcher 2 on sale on Thursday but I bet it's likely to go on sale when the update is live on the 17th.[/QUOTE]

Fans, could mean people who bought X game though. I doubt that's it, but gog is free to do what they like. I've certainly got plenty of free things from them in the past. I wouldn't mind a Witcher franchise sale Thursday.

[quote name='gcorlett']Daggerfall is already free. So is Arena.

Arena
Daggerfall

They actually play OK if you take the time to remap the controls to a more modern setting. It also helps if you played them when they were new, as you'll be more willing to forgive the overall clunkiness.

When I tried these last year for nostalgia's sake, I was surprised how old these games feel today. I still remember paying full price for each of them. And tearing my hair out and how bug-ridden they were.[/QUOTE]

Good old Daggerfall. I can't tell you how many times I fell through the walls and into the void. I still loved that game though. Sometimes it can feel hollow and empty but the world is beyond enormous. It's still probably the only game to date that I feel even comes close to accurately similuating the vastness of an entire country, even if 99.9% of that country has nothing interesting to see. :p

It's funny to hear people complain about how buggy Bethesda games are today because, with the possible except of the PS3 Skyrim which was released in poor condition, they were so much worse years ago with those old games but I also feel like players had much more tolerance for that sort of thing then.

[quote name='gcorlett']Daggerfall is already free. So is Arena.

Arena
Daggerfall

When I tried these last year for nostalgia's sake, I was surprised how old these games feel today. I still remember paying full price for each of them. And tearing my hair out and how bug-ridden they were.[/QUOTE]

After Daggerfall went free I said to msyelf, "I'm going to play that again!" Then I watched a couple of the Giant Bomb guys play a few hours of it and realized that I might want to stick with my memories.

I can't imagine what it's like for people who never touched the game before or didn't even play PC games from that era. I'm just glad GOG is around to remind me of these games and provide me a way to relive some of them. I'll happily accept any game that they decide to give away tomorrow.

off topic, but ill ask here anyway: has the physical copy of witcher 2 gone lower than $29? I ask because it has some great extras and I have amazon credit right now. I know The downloadable version has gone as low as $15.....

Target has the physical copy for $20. I'd say Witcher 2 is solidly $15 worth and not too much more. $20 is a stretch but I wouldn't shun you if you paid that much.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Target has the physical copy for $20. I'd say Witcher 2 is solidly $15 worth and not too much more. $20 is a stretch but I wouldn't shun you if you paid that much.[/QUOTE]

What if I paid $40 RollingSkull ... what then ;)

[quote name='RollingSkull']Target has the physical copy for $20. I'd say Witcher 2 is solidly $15 worth and not too much more. $20 is a stretch but I wouldn't shun you if you paid that much.[/QUOTE]

Say whaaa....was that on clearance at your store, or the actual price?

If not on clearance...I think I might have to head out there tomorrow....

Troll. The Witcher 2 is a huge game with tons of gameplay and replayability. Also, the developers are releasing the enhancements to pc owners free of charge. Easily worth full price.

Seriously you need to get off your high horse and stop talking down this fantastic game. No one cares and will buy it anyway regardless of your lame comments.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Target has the physical copy for $20. [/QUOTE]

any proof for this? Was in there monday night and it was $30.

$20 was a normal price. But I only know it from memory. I saw it Tues and Wed while hunting fruitlessly for ORC SEs.

MarauderShields, that is your opinion. I bought the game because of hyperbolic praise like that and, to me, it simply was not that good of a WRPG.

etcrane, it may have sounded like the wind to you, but that sound as you checked out was my terrible wail, "NOOOOOOOO DON'T DO IT SAVE YOUR MONEY!"

[quote name='kjs7']any proof for this? Was in there monday night and it was $30.[/QUOTE]
Saw it in-store for $19.99. Shame it went on sale the week after the b2g1 sale, would've been nice to pick it up with Portal 2 and Deus Ex: HR (both also $19.99).

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']As "legendary" is in quotations, might it not mean the game itself is legendary in terms of acclaim but instead the scope, characters or even the word itself might be featured in the game. A quick search of GOG doesn't turn up much, except Legend of Grimrock and King's Bounty. While either would be incredible, both seem pretty unlikely.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned this to a friend of mine the other day (that they would be giving away a "legendary" RPG) and his immediate response was "Legend of Grimrock". He's been very excited about that game, and pointed out that it is being published by GoG. Its official release date is next week - if they give it to ppl who bought or will buy W2, that would be epic in my book. Sure, it's only a $15 game, but it looks like a fantastic old-school style RPG and odds are I'd already own anything truly old they'd give away.

May be a stretch, but I wouldn't say its completely implausible. ;)

[quote name='RollingSkull']$20 was a normal price. But I only know it from memory. I saw it Tues and Wed while hunting fruitlessly for ORC SEs.

MarauderShields, that is your opinion. I bought the game because of hyperbolic praise like that and, to me, it simply was not that good of a WRPG. [/QUOTE]Considering you want to spend $35 on Operational Raccoon City but only value The Witcher 2 at $15, I'd put a lot more value in his opinion.

bread's done
Back