False Advertising by Activision?

[quote name='Strell']Found one:

http://www.amazon.com/Homeworld-Gam...6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1244649465&sr=1-16[/QUOTE]

But it does include a CD Soundtrack.

The average consumer expect something extra when a new edition of entertainment media comes out. Something different, changed, added. The same goes for DVDs.

When a million versions of Terminator 2 were released one after the other, people expected the later editions to contain newer footage, interviews, and other goodies... remastering.... anything. Generally when the "____ Edition" subtext is added to a DVD, people are expecting it to have additional content or for it to be at a value price. Same with games.

[quote name='GuardianE']
The average consumer expect something extra when a new edition of entertainment media comes out.[/QUOTE]

For the third time, my point is that most people aren't paying attention, and will barely distinguish one edition from another outside of the really obvious things, like "Oh this version of Matrix comes with Neo's Head."

For all they know, COD4 only comes in a GOTY ed, which they might cite as marketing. Hell, I'm betting a lot of people bought the one WITH the map pack code and then didn't use it, throwing it away as some sort of promotional nonsense.

Stop looking at this from someone who is educated, ok? Please. It'll make this discussion a lot easier to deal with. We're giving ourselves too much credit to notice such things, just as we'd know what comes in a CE versus not. Most people don't know, don't care, won't ever know. Right now Saint's Row 2 CE is on sale at Best Buy locally for $45 or so. I bet people are thrilled to see a sub-$60 360 game, and don't even notice that they're going to get a bullet USB drive.

[quote name='Strell']For the third time, my point is that most people aren't paying attention, and will barely distinguish one edition from another outside of the really obvious things, like "Oh this version of Matrix comes with Neo's Head."

For all they know, COD4 only comes in a GOTY ed, which they might cite as marketing. Hell, I'm betting a lot of people bought the one WITH the map pack code and then didn't use it, throwing it away as some sort of promotional nonsense.

Stop looking at this from someone who is educated, ok? Please. It'll make this discussion a lot easier to deal with. We're giving ourselves too much credit to notice such things, just as we'd know what comes in a CE versus not. Most people don't know, don't care, won't ever know. Right now Saint's Row 2 CE is on sale at Best Buy locally for $45 or so. I bet people are thrilled to see a sub-$60 360 game, and don't even notice that they're going to get a bullet USB drive.[/QUOTE]

Hm.. I mean, I suppose it's possible that people don't notice, but games/movies being released with a superior version is so commonplace nowadays that it'd take someone incredibly oblivious to the whole concept to not notice.

In the case of CoD4, and most other games with differently packaged editions, the original sits alongside its newer, shinier counterpart. There's distinction there, whether or not the consumer actually cares about the added content of the newer version, they know it exists. I think that most regular consumers are so exposed to the idea of special editions that their assumption of added content is only natural when the packaging of an item they're grabbing is remarkably different from the others or contains the word "Edition" at all.

People naturally thought that the Afro Samurai game had a special edition just because of a dust cover.

[quote name='GuardianE']Hm.. I mean, I suppose it's possible that people don't notice, but games/movies being released with a superior version is so commonplace nowadays that it'd take someone incredibly oblivious to the whole concept to not notice.

In the case of CoD4, and most other games with differently packaged editions, the original sits alongside its newer, shinier counterpart. There's distinction there, whether or not the consumer actually cares about the added content of the newer version, they know it exists.[/QUOTE]

Way, way, way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit to the people in Best Buy, who routinely ask for Halo on the Wii and Mario on the Xbox.

Do you people get mad when you buy Froot Loops with a "new" color, only to find out it tastes exactly the damned same?

While we're at it, why can't publishers/developers - knowing people will associated "edition" with new content - be required to uphold that? If we're just going by assumption - and this thread tells me that we certainly are - then they've already got us in their trap. So because a bunch of other games in the past did it, suddenly every new game afterward will too?

People. COD4 is widely considered the best in the series, and has enjoyed the most play on XBL at points (even over Halo). You don't think Activision isn't going to notice that and take advantage of it? Can't assume shit, ever, even based on the past. You buy something at a specific time and it's under certain effects at that present point, so why would ANYONE *EVER* suddenly just start painting everything with these broad strokes?

Acitivision is gonna do it again, you know. 'Cuz now we're validating just how much we're NOT paying attention ourselves, even as the highborn gamers on our gilded thrones. And since we were the sentries that are letting the thieves past, there's no hope for the villagers.

[quote name='Strell']Acitivision is gonna do it again, you know. 'Cuz now we're validating just how much we're NOT paying attention ourselves, even as the highborn gamers on our gilded thrones. And since we were the sentries that are letting the thieves past, there's no hope for the villagers.[/QUOTE]

Strell, thanks for doing a great job playing Devil's Advocate. However, I do not think any of us should just say that we should expect to get screwed and there is nothing we can do about it. We can do something about it and that is making sure the information is out there so that people can make informed decisions. This is the only point of this thread.

You're not really proving to me you're getting screwed though. Everyone is just seeing the words GOTYE and assuming it means new stuff. You're in the trap.

I'd buy the argument more if there was specific mention of the map pack, only to find it expired, when the box made no mention that it could indeed expire. Because then are you GUARANTEED something you aren't getting.

What we have currently in this thread, though, is the assumption that something INDEED is coming out way, based on some wording, when said wording makes no promises.

Let's say you went to the grocery store. And you wanted an orange. And you go to where the oranges are. You buy an orange, reasonably sure it has orange within the rind. I can understand that.

Let's say someone else goes and wants an orange, but isn't necessarily paying attention, and then they buy a nectarine, or a tangerine, or tangelo, or a small grapefruit, SOME sort of orange-colored rind spherical fruit based SOLELY on the color, despite the fact that the sign hanging above it spefically labeled it as some other fruit.

These words mean nothing in the end, and that's my entire point here. I fail to see how they suddenly and automatically grant certain things just because you can read 'em, especially when they can easily be classified as nothing more than marketing.

If it changes policies and whatnot? More power to us, definitely. If gaming journalism picks up on it and Kotaku and Joystiq and whoever throw a fit, bringing it to everyone's attention? Great. Because frankly, I love to see fat Bobby Kotick squirm around.

But since all of this can be waved away with "buyer beware," I don't think we're going to get too far.

[quote name='Strell']You're not really proving to me you're getting screwed though. Everyone is just seeing the words GOTYE and assuming it means new stuff.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I assume this specific GOTYE has additional content is because this is exactly what Activision said in an advertising campain including several press releases when the game was released. None of these press releases state that the additional content will only be available for a limited time and, to my knowledge, no press releases or articles exist that state that the content was removed. Here are the press releases:

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/activision/406831.html
http://www.gamershell.com/companies/activision/412572.html

If Activision notified the public that the content was only available for a limited time, or that the content had been removed and I missed it, I agree that this is the consumer's problem. However I have yet to see any evidence that this ever happened.

And those are over a year old. When do they expire? I wouldn't consider them in effect a month after being released.

Other people on this site knew the codes were no longer there. How do you explain that away?

[quote name='Strell']Other people on this site knew the codes were no longer there. How do you explain that away?[/QUOTE]

If you expect consumers to read every COD4 thread on every gaming forum to find this out I think you're expecting a lot. The COD4 thread on this site alone is hundreds of pages long and there were only a few scattered posts about it.

When many other mainstream sites like IGN continue to say the map pack is included, I think it's not unreasonable for someone to expect to get them when they buy the product.

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14242235.html

Was it possible to find this out before I made my purchase? Yes. Was it reasonable to expect me to find this out? No way Jose.

And you're expecting something for free based on five words on the box. A box that makes no claims to free content, or a code for paid content, or ANYTHING.

Basing it because "some other games do it" isn't really a valid argument.

And I think it's entirely reasonable since so many other people have known this for a while. Why is it that they are somehow so much more enlightened?

Take the game back if you're that upset about it. At this point I'm pretty much convinced it's your fault, since it doesn't say it guarantees you anything, and you're going by rhetorical words due to assumption. If it DID say "map pack included," we'd be at a different juncture, but it doesn't.

Everyone just acts like they are entitled to it because of some wording? That's no worthy defense. Sorry.

[quote name='QiG']Damn it.. Strell is in on it, he can no longer be considered one of us.[/QUOTE]

I get free apple tarts for every GOTYE copy sold these days. Back when they still had map packs, I was paid to actually go around and remove them from the box. Those were the halcyon, where they gave me apple tarts AND scrumptious Swedish Delight.

Strell, the point of this thread is to inform people of what they should expect if they buy this game. You are entitled to your opinion about whose fault it is. I'm not the only one who got bitten by this and I am trying to prevent it from happening to other people.

I'm not really claiming that Activision is truly guilty of false advertising, rather that they're taking advantage of and misleading the average consumer in an unscrupulous way. Activision exploits things, from its titles to its consumer base (their words).

I'm less interested in their legal justification for putting this label on their game, and more interested in how this makes them look to the game playing public. It doesn't look good because they understand fully the preconceived notions of gamers. Gamers expected the mappacks to be included based on the previous practices of this very company. Many people knew the mappacks weren't included ONLY because they heard it from other gamers, on forums, from a store rep... not Activision. They only knew because others made the mistake, the same dumb assumption that the would-be purchaser was ready to make.

This assumption was not based on 5 additional words written on the cover, and not even followers of the series who picked up CoD2&3 and recognized their GOTY editions, but also from year old press releases from Activision itself. These releases, while no longer valid today obviously, made a clear and precise distinction between the GOTY edition and the original.

Strell mentioned how there people are oblivious to special editions and what they entail, but this GOTY edition isn't even marketed towards them. It's marketed towards gamers who recognize what that subtext generally means, and are operating under a general trust of the company to continue supporting the product like their press release announced... and who fail to ask someone else for confirmation or look around the box to discern the actual contents.

Yes, this entire argument is based on assumptions and faith in a company... two things that I guess should really should never happen, and certainly not when talking about Activision. It simply reiterates to me how sleazeball Activision really is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gentlegamer']The GOTY edition I bought this week on sale at Best Buy doesn't have the extra maps?

Then why is it called GOTY edition?[/QUOTE]
Because the game won Game of the Year awards?

[quote name='Kaijufan']Because the game won Game of the Year awards?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's fair. It's also misleading.

Where's my Resident Evil 4 Game of the Year Edition?

[quote name='Strell']And you're expecting something for free based on five words on the box. A box that makes no claims to free content, or a code for paid content, or ANYTHING.[/QUOTE]

I think people (myself included) based the free maps on the original press release for the GOTY edition of the game. i.e.:
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year Edition for Xbox 360 Enlists for Battle
Santa Monica, CA March 20, 2008
Recruits and soldiers alike, get the Battle-Dress Uniforms ready, Activision, Inc., (Nasdaq: ATVI) and Infinity Ward are planning a new offensive with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year Edition. Scheduled for release at all retailers nationwide in April, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year Edition will feature a token to download the Variety Map Pack, a series of four new multiplayer maps exclusively for Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

For the token to be removed from this version of the game without informing of the public is a bit misleading, in my opinion. And I think it's rightfully fair that people are upset. You're buying the product with the expectation that the extra maps are in the package because that's how THIS version of the game was announced. As far as the public is concerned, this GOTY edition ceased to exist when the maps were removed and it is misleading to still be called the GOTY version when in fact it is the regular version.

Your argument may be that well, the box doesn't claim it, but so they're not technically in the wrong, and sure that's a sound argument. but i don't think that's the point of this post.

Maybe I've been a PC gamer for too long, but this is old hat to me. Companies are always putting out "Game of the Year" editions that don't have additional content. It's just a way to try and get a spike in sales on a game that has been out a while.

I think Activision should have made it clear in their original press releases that this would be a limited-time offer. After all, this isn't anything new. Companies have been known to release games with additional content, but on limited-time basis. They screwed up by not saying that.

Despite Activision's goof, though, I wouldn't say it's false advertising. And it's still up to the consumer to know what they are buying. Just because something says "Game of the Year," that doesn't mean it's any different than the original release.

Regardless of whether or not the box promises more content, I think it's crazy to label it "Game of the Year Edition" and include no changes or additions. What's the point? "New Box Art Edition" would be a better description. It's deceptive and Activison knows it. There's no defending it. They should have stopped using the "Game of the Year Edition" moniker when they decided to stop the free map promotion and went back to selling the game with the original cover.

Thanks for spreading the word OP. It would be one thing if it were labeled GOTY but it's labeled GOTY Edition and that's incredibly misleading. New editions are expected to be different than the original.

[quote name='Strell']And you're expecting something for free based on five words on the box. A box that makes no claims to free content, or a code for paid content, or ANYTHING.

Basing it because "some other games do it" isn't really a valid argument.

And I think it's entirely reasonable since so many other people have known this for a while. Why is it that they are somehow so much more enlightened?

Take the game back if you're that upset about it. At this point I'm pretty much convinced it's your fault, since it doesn't say it guarantees you anything, and you're going by rhetorical words due to assumption. If it DID say "map pack included," we'd be at a different juncture, but it doesn't.

Everyone just acts like they are entitled to it because of some wording? That's no worthy defense. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

You're trying to hold onto both sides of the argument here. you're justifying it on one hand by saying the average customer is stupid and too uninformed to know better - at the same time you're saying it's ok because this is common knowledge to some gamers, as if you're mildly incredulous that people don't know that the GOTYE is not any different.

It's a very strange argument, you must admit. It's ok for Activision to do this because customers are stupid, and it's ok because customers are smart.

Email sent. Just bought it the other day fully expecting the free maps and even told my wife this was a great deal (best buy $29.99) because it has the map packs with it. Needless to say I'm pissed off.

UPDATE: Robert Bowling from Infinity Ward was kind enough to provide me with a free token to download the Variety Map Pack.

In my thank you letter, I tried to convey the fact that the descriptions of the game on many websites continue to state that the map pack is included and it would help reduce customer confusion if Infinity Ward contacted those media outlets to get the word out to consumers about the change. I can't say if he will take me up on my suggestion, but it was worth a try.

At the very least, he corrected the problem for me, which is much more than I can say for Activision Customer Support.

[quote name='heatison777']Elder Scrolls GOTY---->includes DLC
Fallout 3 GOTY---->will include DLC
different company, I know, but how about...
Call of Duty 2 GOTY---->includes DLC
Call of Duty 3 GOTY---->includes DLC
Every other GOTY, including Activisions last 2 COD's had the free maps.
Gee, I wonder why people assume that 4 would follow the same pattern!

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-200..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1244601451&sr=8-2

ps i have no idea who mourningcoffee is, this crap just really pisses me off![/QUOTE]

COD2 GOTY also only had the extra map packs for a limited time. I know, I got one and it didn't have the map pack, only the bounus dvd. Since they did it for part 2 I'm not shocked they did it for part 4.

The funny thing is I'm sure the extra dvd must cost them more money the some digital download does.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. I had the "GOTY" version of CoD2, and it didn't come with any map pack.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you at least got a bonus DVD though (according to the poster above you), which makes the GOTY Edition of COD2 different from the regular edition. Unfortunately, the GOTY Edition of COD4 appears to be exactly the same as the regular edition, contentwise.

True. But nonetheless, as the other poster was saying, it originally had maps. Or, at least, he says that it did. I never really followed the game, nor was I looking for maps. In the end, though, if it use to have maps and then didn't, they have set a pattern. To me, some throw in DVD with crap no one watches didn't make that copy of CoD2 any different from the original.

Just to point out Activision ain't alone in this, I was out of town today and went to a GS.

Left 4 Dead 360 was $49.99, like it has been for many, many months.

Left 4 Dead "Game of the Year Edition" 360 was $59.99.

L4DGOTY's additions? The survival pack. A free download on XBL.

:lol:

Price is the same at Amazon - seems though that the non-GOTY L4D isn't being pressed anymore.

^^ Though there isn't any DLC for L4D that costs money. The real shame in that case is that L4D2 is coming out this year and the original is still full price.

[quote name='mykevermin']Right. My point is that you can buy L4D for $50 and get the exact same content that you can if you buy the $60 GOTY version.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can technically argue that Left4Dead:GOTY's content would have otherwise been unavailable for people without XBox Live at all. I know it's a stretch, but at least the package includes SOMETHING that was not in the original release.

[quote name='mykevermin']Right. My point is that you can buy L4D for $50 and get the exact same content that you can if you buy the $60 GOTY version.[/QUOTE]

This is depressing. I thought EA had become so much better than Activision, but then they started charging too much for Burnout Paradise DLC (admittedly the pricing was better for Big Surf Island) and now this?

Isn't the L4D survival pack useless unless you are already on Xbox Live?

Thanks for the heads-up Mykevermin. Maybe we should start a thread specifically for the purpose of monitoring BS pricing for new editions of games? I'm worried that people won't be able to find it if we keep everything in this thread. We could call it "CAGwatch: BS Pricing on Re-Released Games" or something like that. What do you think?

Or we could read the outside of the box. That could work too.

L4D's GOTYE only reinforces the notion that this is all marketing.

I reluctantly agree with Strell. Experience has taught me that labels mean nothing without proper certification.

The other day I saw beef being advertised as all-natural. Here's their website.
http://www.nabison.com/dakota/what_is_natural.html

In my mind I think of free-roaming, pasture-raised and finished animals when I think of natural. Nope. In their case, natural means hormone and antibiotic-free. It could still be raised in a barn, fed corn and dead animals, and crammed in a lot with a billion other cows steeped in their own poop.

So I see GOTY. GOTY? Who the hell called it that, some dude in the basement who writes on his blog? And people actually expect new content and stuff? I just assumed they made GOTY edition if it got some (prestigious) award and they don't make the regular ones anymore just so they could sucker people.

I was a victim of this, but on Amazon the GOTY edition was cheaper than the normal version at $34.97 so it was not that big of a deal.

This was being discussed at great length at Goozex as part of the discussion regarding "Full Package" trades.

Without digging up the thread, it was determined that trades of CoD4:MW GotY did not need to include the token because it wasn't included in every game, and the original coupons would have been expired by now anyway.

bread's done
Back