Family Guy spinoff coming - "Cleveland" -- Delayed to Fall 2009

[quote name='Rocko']This could be more entertaining than Family Guy.[/quote]

Well it couldn't be less entertaining than Family Guy.

[quote name='life.exe']I would rather have a show called "Stewie".[/quote]

Yes. Anything involving him is hilarious. Other than the Star Wars episode, all the best episodes have been Stewie-centric.

Family Guy went from referencing past culture to referencing itself and pop culture. I think it's just as funny as it was , it just got old ( with the help of SP for pointing out the formulaic nature of the show ).

[quote name='life.exe']I would rather have a show called "Stewie".[/quote]
How would they do a show just about Stewie? He's a baby after all, it's not like he can move out and live on his own.

[quote name='Kaijufan']How would they do a show just about Stewie? He's a baby after all, it's not like he can move out and live on his own.[/quote]
You didn't see the episode where he moves in with brian?

I love how quick everyone is to defend their like or dislike of the show. It's an opinion. You can't be wrong. There is no objective measurement of what is funny or not. That being said, this thread makes me laugh.

[quote name='Kaijufan']How would they do a show just about Stewie? He's a baby after all, it's not like he can move out and live on his own.[/quote]

Who cares, just make it work because he is the only character that actually makes me laugh.

[quote name='JolietJake']Cleveland? He isn't even that funny a character. Quagmire on the other hand....:lol:[/QUOTE]

This

Anyone mention Herbert yet? He's my personal fave.

A primetime show about a pedophile, priceless!

[quote name='Francis']Anyone mention Herbert yet? He's my personal fave.

A primetime show about a pedophile, priceless![/quote]

I guess someone with a shin chan avi would love Herbert. Both of which creep the shit out of me.

[quote name='Francis']Anyone mention Herbert yet? He's my personal fave.

A primetime show about a pedophile, priceless![/quote]

I feel that Herbert is the worst thing about the show. There is never anything funny about him. I would like to see him killed off in the show.

I do see your point about having a bad taste character in primetime. He still isn't funny though.

[quote name='Callisto']American Dad isn't to bad, Family Guy is not the show it used to be.[/quote]

I agree. American Dad is the better show right now.

[quote name='Strell']Family Guy references all sorts of pop culture. It's not confined to the 80s at all. Doesn't help that a good portion (if not the majority) of sitcoms around that time were with white people anyway.
[/quote]

A lot of shows use pop culture references but Family leans on it way too much IMO. When you start referencing things most people don't know about you have problems.

I can still watch it a get a good laugh, but the pop culture and shock humor gets to be a bit much at times.

[quote name='JolietJake']Well lets just have shows that only last a season, that way it won't ever get old.[/quote]

I know you kid, but Fawlty Towers pretty much did that and it is fresh as ever. American shows do tend to take the Capcom approach to making episodes.

THe problem is that we have seen the buffoonish dad sitcom so much that its hard to stand out anymore. There is only so many ways you can go with that set up. Homer, Peter, and Stan are morons, we get it. They are all married to women way out of their league, we get. They all have troublemakers for children, we get.

Of all the comedy cartoons I have seen in recent years, the best writing belongs to Futurama, Venture Bros., Harvey Birdman and Shin Chan IMO.

I've always liked Futurama far more than Family Guy, American Dad, or even the Simpsons, but I can guarantee you if they bring it back and make regular episodes everybody will say how shitty it is and how it used to be better. Actually they'll probably all say that about the movies anyway.

People just always remember shit that way.

I still watch family guy from time to time. Its not as funny as it once was but they had a few episdodes this year that where laugh out loud funny. A Cleveland show would be funny if done right.

My main issue is Family Guy will try to take things like abortion and AIDS and make jokes out of them. Certain things they try are just horrible IMO.

Awwww you guys don't know from fun, that one episode where Chris had to do chores for Herbert since he broke his window with a baseball had me rolling.

Mmmmhmmm.

I stopped watching family guy a little over 2 years ago...it just started to get stale and wasn't that funny anymore (I own the first 3 seasons on dvd, so i did enjoy the show)...

Somehow, I don't think a spin-off focused on the most pain vanilla, regular joe type, "normal" character on the show can reinvigorate my interest in the franchise, but here's to hoping.

Will probably give it a 3 episode window, and if it doesn't suck terribly, finish the first season out.

The allusion to Rocky with Quagmire still stands out as being one of my favorite moments from the original show...hope to see more "dark" and interesting sides of Cleveland exposed.

I looked up some trivia about Seth MacFarlane last night.

Apparently Seth MacFarlane was scheduled to go on one of the Sept 11 flights that crashed into WTC but his travel agent mixed up his itinerary by accident and he didn't get on it in time.

Seth MacFarlane gets paid $50k per episode of Family Guy. In addition, he struck a deal for $100 million dollars to bring the Cleveland show spinoff in addition to Family Guy and and American Dad and to work for Fox till 2012 whilst getting a cut of dvd/merchandising revenue. All this from a cancelled show.

He's the highest paid animated show producer on television. This show is still gonna suck though, he's stretching to far with these extra shows. This will probably be family guy with new characters being substituted.

Well, absolutely none of McFarlane's shows have plots or any kind of honest character development. I'm sure he and his team of lackeys just write out funny skits and then randomly assign characters to everything.

One trick pony x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Cleveland will become Peter, whatever slut hangs around the most will be Lois, there will be a talking animal/plant/anthropromorphized entity, Peter will show up every 2-3 episodes, etc etc etc.

George Carlin dies, the teaser for this shows up. God has a sense of humor if he is indeed real, and is punishing Carlin in whatever afterlife location he's at.

[quote name='Strell']Well, absolutely none of McFarlane's shows have plots or any kind of honest character development. I'm sure he and his team of lackeys just write out funny skits and then randomly assign characters to everything.

One trick pony x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Cleveland will become Peter, whatever slut hangs around the most will be Lois, there will be a talking animal/plant/anthropromorphized entity, Peter will show up every 2-3 episodes, etc etc etc.[/quote]Still better than most modern day Simpsons episodes where The Simpsons travel to *insert state/country* and meet up with unlikely special guest star, *celebrity voice talent*.

And honestly, if I wanted to have character development or plot, I would stick to watching The Wire. Comedies don't always need a great plot or character development to be funny.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Still better than most modern day Simpsons episodes where The Simpsons travel to *insert state/country* and meet up with unlikely special guest star, *celebrity voice talent*.

And honestly, if I wanted to have character development or plot, I would stick to watching The Wire. Comedies don't always need a great plot or character development to be funny.[/quote]

At least the Simpsons Movie was good though.

Comedy doesn't have to have a great plot or character development, but then you end up with the garbage adult swim has put out in the last few years. It's no coincidence that the best original comedy they have is the one with at least some plot and development (Venture Bros.).

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Still better than most modern day Simpsons episodes where The Simpsons travel to *insert state/country* and meet up with unlikely special guest star, *celebrity voice talent*.[/quote]

What Simpsons has become is a travesty. Shampoo bottles tell more compelling stories.

And honestly, if I wanted to have character development or plot, I would stick to watching The Wire. Comedies don't always need a great plot or character development to be funny.

King of the Hill has characters that are nicely fleshed out and defined. So did Invader Zim. So did Home Movies. So did Mission Hill.

The whole reason comedy can exist is because your characters are funny. But once you start Mad-Libbing it up with everyone's lines or destroying any kind of foundation you've created with them, then you might as well stop. Kind of like how Bart is now Homer's best friend, even though that shit is essentially a 180 from the early days.

But most comedy is like that these days, where everything is a remix of everything before it, live and animated included.

Comedy doesn't have to be exclusive from character development. That's a stupid argument and you know it.

[quote name='Strell']What Simpsons has become is a travesty. Shampoo bottles tell more compelling stories.

King of the Hill has characters that are nicely fleshed out and defined. So did Invader Zim. So did Home Movies. So did Mission Hill.

The whole reason comedy can exist is because your characters are funny. But once you start Mad-Libbing it up with everyone's lines or destroying any kind of foundation you've created with them, then you might as well stop. Kind of like how Bart is now Homer's best friend, even though that shit is essentially a 180 from the early days.

Comedy doesn't have to be exclusive from character development. That's a stupid argument and you know it.[/quote]I guess I don't watch Family Guy for the character development or plot. I watch it for the "any joke at any time" nature that the show provides. Yes, a lot of times, the cutaways are pointless, but a lot of times, they are so absurd, you can't help but laugh at them.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I guess I don't watch Family Guy for the character development or plot. I watch it for the "any joke at any time" nature that the show provides. Yes, a lot of times, the cutaways are pointless, but a lot of times, they are so absurd, you can't help but laugh at them.[/QUOTE]

Well then I'm sure you'll just love Family Guy 2: Black Guy Edition.

[quote name='Strell']Well then I'm sure you'll just love Family Guy 2: Black Guy Edition.[/quote]
The teaser trailer was pretty decent. Sorry for not breaking down my own definition of humor so that I can define it and decide whether or not Family Guy fits into what I would think of as "funny". I'm not saying it's the greatest damn show on TV, but at midnight on a Wednesday night, you could do a lot worse.

I dunno. At midnight I could watch Daily Show or Conan. Adult Swim probably has dogs licking each other's assholes at that time.

But it's not like I can disagree - there's many hours of the day where bullshit is blasted out. According to Jim? I can hear my sperm crying when that POS is on.

bread's done
Back