Family worried about identity theft.

sotc1988

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hi everyone. My bone-headed little brother had to complete a FAFSA form for college financial aid. He stupidly submitted VERY personal information like my father's social security number, DOB, etc. to a FAFSA website.
The problem lies in the fact that he submitted all of this information to "fafsa.com" not "fafsa.gov". The ".com" website is a scam site that charges people $80 for a free service the government provides and now my family is freaking out because this website of questionable moral character has a lot of potentially world ending information (like the afore-mentioned SS#, DOB, etc).
What are the best steps to go from here to make sure that this information is protected or that our worst fears don't take place?

[quote name='sotc1988']Hi everyone. My bone-headed little brother had to complete a FAFSA form for college financial aid. He stupidly submitted VERY personal information like my father's social security number, DOB, etc. to a FAFSA website.
The problem lies in the fact that he submitted all of this information to "fafsa.com" not "fafsa.gov". The ".com" website is a scam site that charges people $80 for a free service the government provides and now my family is freaking out because this website of questionable moral character has a lot of potentially world ending information (like the afore-mentioned SS#, DOB, etc).
What are the best steps to go from here to make sure that this information is protected or that our worst fears don't take place?[/QUOTE]

You are fine. Your identity will not be stolen from this particular website. Essentially Fafsa.com is like an H&R Block for student Financial Aid. You are essentially paying them to file it vs doing it yourself on fafsa.gov for free. The only scam is that the site is misleading in not making you aware that you can do it for free on a different website. Just consider it a lesson learned.

[quote name='lordopus99']You are fine. Your identity will not be stolen from this particular website. Essentially Fafsa.com is like an H&R Block for student Financial Aid. You are essentially paying them to file it vs doing it yourself on fafsa.gov for free. The only scam is that the site is misleading in not making you aware that you can do it for free on a different website. Just consider it a lesson learned.[/QUOTE]

This. Your father should still belt your brother's ass though.

bread's done
Back