Fantasy Football "Who Should I Start" Thread, 2013

Yeah, Lynch was down just, just short of the goal line. It was one of those that they had to slooooooow the replay way down just to see it. It was that close. Next play, Wilson throws a TD pass. Fantasy football is very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Lynch was down just, just short of the goal line. It was one of those that they had to slooooooow the replay way down just to see it. It was that close. Next play, Wilson throws a TD pass. Fantasy football is very frustrating.
Truer words were never spoken. So I assume they originally called it a TD for Lynch, then Arizona challenged and got it overturned? And just like that, took 6 points away from me and gave 4 points to my opponent on the next play? Awesome. Also, I would expect nothing less from the way this year has been playing out for me. I've had lots of good luck in fantasy over the years, so I guess I shouldn't complain about the scales evening out a little. But I think I still will.

Not really asking for advice but could possibly be swayed to play Newton over Foles this week.  Dallas has given up a lot of yards through the air this year and with Ware out, their pass rush is even more diminished.  Anyone think Cam against St. Louis would be a better play?

Keep in mind that the Rams' defense is pretty horrible, too. They got shredded up by Matty Ice (374 and 2 TDs) & Romo (210 and 3 TDs) already this year. The only reason they aren't one of the worst passing defenses in the league is because they played the Jags and Texans the last two weeks. They also had that game earlier this year where the 49ers didn't have to pass much, because they jumped out to an early lead and ran for over 200 yards.

Drew Brees is my quarter back but he's on a bye this week.
My choices are and Dalton, tannehill, and Eli.
Is Eli finally due for a good game? Minnesota has an atrocious pass D dolphins play the bills who have pretty good pass D

I must be the only one who was glad they took the TD from Lynch. I needed all the points I could get from Wilson.

Anyways, looking for RB help this week since thanks to Murray being out, my situation is even sadder than it already is. Start two.

CJ Spiller @ MIA

Fred Jackson @ MIA

Brandon Jacobs vs MIN

Joique Bell vs CIN

Zac Stacy @ CAR

Currently leaning Jackson, and thinking maybe Stacy. Bell and Jacobs are looking like they probably won't play this week or will be limited.

Definitely go with Eli. Vikings are nearly as bad as the Giants, and they are starting a QB that a) doesn't know their system and b) got cut by a winless team. They should be punting a lot and giving the Giants plenty of offensive possessions.

I am taking a chance starting Buffalo's defense this week (dropped the Rams for them) and starting Terrance Williams over Steve Smith. We'll see how it pays off..

Different league, pick 3 WRs: Bowe vs HOU, Hilton vs DEN, Edelman vs NYJ, Douglas vs TB. I'm leaning toward Hilton, Edelman, Douglas because Bowe has disappointed me all season.

Also, should I sit Andre Johnson for either Edelman or Hilton? That Chiefs defense is tough, and Keenum is starting for Houston.

Good thing thing I started Ridley. He didn't even get in for a single play on that long drive, and Bolden ran in the TD. Gonna be a long day for my fantasy team...

EDIT: Haha, nevermind, deal is paying instant dividends, now...

Dropped Nugent for Sturgis this week that didn't work out well for me. Sturgis had two points Nugent ended up with 11. Who wants to bet I lose by 8 or less this week?

Thought I was a bit screwed in the 28 teamer since I started Cutler. Turns out, so did my opponent. Not like Brady did much better on my bench either, so a little relieved there. Went with my gut as well at RB, and Jackson and Stacy did solid enough, so I do have a chance.

PPR league though, holy balls. Carolina, Russell Wilson, AJ Green, and Matt Forte all scoring between 20 and 32 points. Already have 140 points and have two more players to go. Sure he has 4 players, but he also needs to make up 100 points. Feels good.

I thought Foles was going to have a good game..

...I know absolutely nothing about fantasy football.
I am right there with you. Let's review.... Philly and Dallas were averaging nearly 30 points a game offensively and giving up 20+ defensively. They went into a defensive battle of punt-punt-punt. I started Foles and got 5 points...opening the door for my opponent.

Meanwhile in Washington, the Bears and Redskins went into a shootout cause fuck you logic. I sat RG3, so there goes 20 points! I'm so angry I could vomit. I'm only in contention because I have Matt Forte. I'm anxiously hoping for a quiet night from his players and that AP can carry me tomorrow. But I have that sick feeling.

I thought Foles was going to have a good game..

...I know absolutely nothing about fantasy football.
Don't feel bad. None of us do. The experts don't, either. They're right about the same percentage that any of us are. I was thinking about going back and looking at all of the replies I've posted in this thread to see how often my advice turns out to be good and how often it's bad, but I decided not to because it would probably be too depressing.

I thought Brandon Marshall would give me a huge game today, going against Washington. If you'd told me that the Bears were going to score 41, I would have penciled him in for 20-25 fantasy points, easy. Nope.

Don't feel bad. None of us do. The experts don't, either. They're right about the same percentage that any of us are.
HAHA, exactly. If you follow a particular "expert" column long enough, you'll begin to realize he picks as many duds as you do. Fantasy football is mostly about luck. You need knowledge about the league to pick good players and avoid making really, really dumb starts during the year, but you mostly have to get lucky. How annoyed are Morris owners right now, especially if they lost? Massive shootout...he gets over 90 yards...and 3 TDs vultured by Helu. No one could have called that, and it's not like you did something wrong for starting Morris. You could just got unlucky.

So, more fantasy misery for me. Not only does Wayne lose out on what would have been a walk-in TD and yardage that could have given me a decent pad going into Monday night, he's probably going to miss significant time. About to lose my 2nd starting receiver in as many weeks, unless he gets really lucky, and it wasn't as bad as it looked. Irsay tweeted something about a "miracle," though, so I doubt it. Those non-contact injuries are never minor. And now, I only have 15 point lead, no one left to play, and my opponent has Nicks and Randolph in a PPR league. 4-3, see you soon... #mondaynightmiracleneeded

I need Nicks to out score AP tonite by 10 to win. What are the odds of that happening.

I'm down 4.5 points with Adrian Peterson going for me versus Greg Jennings.  I'm worried.  New QB means all rules get thrown out about the receivers and the Giants might stack against AP.  If I was smart enough to play RG3 I wouldn't have this issue.  Damn you Foles.....damn you fantasy analysts. 

I have NO idea how I am going to pull out a win this week.. but it looks like I am going to.

I started Jay Cutler and since he got hurt, he only go me 0.12 points..

Going into tonight I am up 86.12 to 70.30 and I have WR R. Randell and he has WR J. Simpson

I may be naive but it looks like I have this one in the bag. What a relief...

Doug Martin reportedly has a torn labrum and might miss the rest of the year.
I'm hearing mixed reports. Some say he is likely done for the year; others that he will miss "some weeks." Either way, if you own Martin, put in a claim for Mike James. If you don't own Martin, though, not even sure if James is worth the pickup, unless you are utterly desperate. The Tampa Bay line is beyond awful, and they were already giving Martin, a very talented guy, zippo to work with. Don't see James better.

Pickings are beyond slim on the WR waiver wire in my league, but with Wayne done for the year, I need to pick someone up. These are my "best" choices:

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Riley Cooper

Marvin Jones

Doug Baldwin

Yes, I know. Wonderful choices. DHB seems like the logical choice. He will take Wayne's spot in a great passing offense. But he's a guy who has never, ever lived up to expectations. I have a feeling that he could actually produce even less now that he will be asked to carry a bigger load opposite of Hilton.

I'm hearing mixed reports. Some say he is likely done for the year; others that he will miss "some weeks." Either way, if you own Martin, put in a claim for Mike James. If you don't own Martin, though, not even sure if James is worth the pickup, unless you are utterly desperate. The Tampa Bay line is beyond awful, and they were already giving Martin, a very talented guy, zippo to work with. Don't see James better.

Pickings are beyond slim on the WR waiver wire in my league, but with Wayne done for the year, I need to pick someone up. These are my "best" choices:

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Riley Cooper

Marvin Jones

Doug Baldwin

Yes, I know. Wonderful choices. DHB seems like the logical choice. He will take Wayne's spot in a great passing offense. But he's a guy who has never, ever lived up to expectations. I have a feeling that he could actually produce even less now that he will be asked to carry a bigger load opposite of Hilton.
I read that Doug Martin was done for the year and then a few hours later Schiano was saying "oh, we think we'll play again this year." If his injury is season ending, is that another nail in the fire Schiano coffin? I'm imagining him wheeling Doug out there after a surgery and berating him for not playing.

For your FA pickup, I kinda like Marvin Jones on level with DHB. The Bengals have been looking for a #2, and if he's starting to emerge, he could be a flex play depending on match-up.

Need to drop one for week eight or play a WR short. Any advice?

A. Johnson

A. Jeffery

K. Allen
I don't like dropping any of them, maybe you can swing a trade? I think Jeffery is the best candidate with Cutler out for the next 4 weeks.

In one of my leagues, I pulled off a complete "bulls--t!" win, by half a point. That team is a wreck however. I'm thinking of cutting Powell (and possibly pick up Ivory), Thompkins, Robert Woods.....heck, maybe even Ellington. These are the players I could try and put in a claim for, I need at least a QB and a Flex for this week.

QB: Geno, Tannehill, Glennon, Freeman, Flacco,

FLEX:Jarrett Boykin, Mike James, DHB, Chris Ivory, Marvin Jones, DeAndre Hopkins

Heck, I might even put in a claim for Jordan Reed. I could use help all over, it's a busted 4-3 team, but I'm leading my division.

The "job" Schiano has done down in Tampa is borderline criminal, especially if he was the one who leaked the info about Freeman's involvement in the league's drug program. He has proved every, single critic (and there were a lot of them) right who said he did not deserve an NFL head coaching gig. It would take an absolute miracle, in my opinion, for him to be coaching that team next year. That franchise gave up on Morris after three seasons, one of them in which he went 10-6. Granted, by all accounts, Morris had completely and utterly lost the locker room, but it would appear that Schiano has one-upped him in that category. Another funny Schiano story came out recently, that he threw Dexter Jackson and a group of local school children out of a practice.

If you haven't been watching this "amazing" Monday Night Football game...yawn...Hillis has looked ok. Not so much running (less than 2 yards a carry), even though he did fall into the endzone for a TD, Then again, with this line, no one can really run very well. But he has been very effective as a pass catcher out of the backfield. And with all of the trouble the Giants have protecting Eli, Hillis could pick up some cheap points in PPR leagues as a safety valve. He should be available in most leagues, unless people were already fishing once they heard he got signed.

Second week in a row that I got a Monday Night Miracle. Last week, Luck and Hilton did nothing. This week, Nicks and Randolph were invisible. Guess that these are my gifts for having all of my WRs hurt...

Squeaked by with a win thanks to Welker. Bradford is done for the year too. Bears are going to take a hit with Cutler out

Hilton should explode. Bey is worth a pickup, what about Boykin on GB? Good WR bye week filler?

If Boykin is still available in your league, absolutely pick him up. James Jones might be back soon, but there are generally enough passes to go around in that offense, and Boykin looked quite good last week. He's big and athletic. Looks like he could be a legitimate player. Plus, being the 3rd receiver on that team can often be a real fantasy boon, as it was for Cobb last year.

I was down 4.5 points with AP vs Jennings.......and lost.  What the fuck is wrong with the Vikings franchise?  They even highlighted that the O-coordinator had a play calling sheet about the size of a cocktail napkin.  And even when Freeman had an open man (which was only the first half), he threw it over their heads by 3 feet.  And then had the absolute gall to smile and laugh as he came off the field. 

Sorry, I'm no fan of Schiano....but they didn't lose anything with Josh Freeman.  They stacked nine....yes, nine(!) in the box against AP and dared Freeman to hit anyone.  He threw 50 times.....Brett Favre never threw 50 times.  That entire game was a travesty and incredibly difficult to watch.  When the commentators and post-game anchors are making fun of it, BLECH.

Well, I'm now a shitty 4-3 in both leagues.  Two games back in my division in the one I really care about.  I'll probably miss the playoffs now, thank you Nick Foles.

Yeah Vikings are in full on tail spin now. I'm getting really tired of our QBs not giving a shit when we're being stomped. First was Ponder laughing and joking on the sidelines even during pathetic losses now we've got the same in Freeman.

Say what you will about some of the QBs who throw tantrums when they're losing and screwing up, and I've certainly been one of those people in the past making fun of Brady, Cutler, Flacco, etc. but at least they give a shit when their team is losing. It shows they have an actual investment in winning and not just a desire to cash a check.

I think it's becoming increasingly clear that a major overhaul is needed with the Vikings because aside from Greenway, Allen, AP, and our receiving corps there ain't a lot of people in that entire organization who are giving a shit about this team.

Ugh... my team is sucking wind.  I won this week but only scored 112 points which is WAY below my season average and the second week in  row I barely scored over 100.  Nicks, Marshall, Bernard, McCoy and Hilton were all under 10 points.  WTF?  Someone needs to step it up dammit!  I hope McFadden gets healthy soon and Hilton actually starts catching some passes (he was targeted a ton last week but only had a couple of catches).  Nicks dropped a TD and Marshall is in trouble without Cutler too.

Nicks actually dropped a few balls, but you can tell the terrible offensive line play has completely screwed up the passing game's timing. That short slant that Nicks and Manning use to do constantly just never works anymore...

Dropping A. Jeffery for week 8 to cover 3 of my 4 receivers being on bye weeks.

These guys are available, who should I target?
S. Rice
D. Bowe
C. Shorts
S. Johnson
R. Woods
T. Ginn
B. LaFell
R. Cooper
L. Hankerson
B. Hartline
B. Gibson
M. Floyd
M. Jones
K. Durham

Also should I drop T. Eifert for D. Walker to cover J. Thomas's week nine bye?

I'm trying to figure out whether to go with my abysmal subs, or try for some of the slim pickings on the waiver wire to cover the 3 positions I have on byes this week instead.

QB-  Luck is on his bye.  I have Carson Palmer.  Stick with Palmer, or drop him for Terrelle Pryor (vs. PIT) or Ryan Tannehill (@NE)

RB- Chris Johnson on a bye, I have Rashard Mendenhall or Brandon Bolden.  One of them, or drop one of them for Michael James (vs. CAR), Roy Helu (@DEN) or Mike Tolbert (@TB)

WR- Brandon Marshall is off, I have Stevie Johnson or Denarius Moore.  I put in for Jarret Boykin and Harry Douglas.  If I get either of them, Stevie Johnson is the drop.  Good move?  Who would you look to start from this jumble?

B. Bolden or K. Thompkins?

Who should I make priority waiver number 1 Mike James or Marvin Jones? I'm 4th in line so I'm hoping to get one to replace R. Wayne.

Jeez Danimal - I guess this is the week you are destined to lose.  I'd probably stick with Palmer.  Pryor is a no go since the Steelers seem to want to play 12-9 games.  Tannehill has some upside against a weak Pats D though if you wanted to take a risk.

Your RB situation is a total crapshoot so I won't even pretend to know what the right answer is.  For WR if you can get Douglas then definitely go with him.

I don't love Tannehill, but the Patriot D looked so weak against the Jets, I can't imagine them looking much better against a QB with a little more experience and a much better receiving corps.

What's the consensus on dropping Jermichael Finley? I hear he could be back soon, or up to next year.

I feel like it may be too soon to not wait, and I may cut Mike Williams instead of Finley.

My best pick-up might be Helu Jr so I can tag team him and Alfred Morris, I'm looking for alts to Denver's bye week.

Dropping A. Jeffery for week 8 to cover 3 of my 4 receivers being on bye weeks.

These guys are available, who should I target?

C. Shorts

Also should I drop T. Eifert for D. Walker to cover J. Thomas's week nine bye?
Cecil Short. Garbage time points still count. We know the Jags will most likely trail, they will throw, and defenses are seeing what Blackmon did his first two weeks back. Shorts was playing through an injury last week and posted 80 yards. For the TE's, it's a crapshoot. Neither are dependable.

I'm trying to figure out whether to go with my abysmal subs, or try for some of the slim pickings on the waiver wire to cover the 3 positions I have on byes this week instead.

QB- Luck is on his bye. I have Carson Palmer. Stick with Palmer, or drop him for Terrelle Pryor (vs. PIT) or Ryan Tannehill (@NE)

RB- Chris Johnson on a bye, I have Rashard Mendenhall or Brandon Bolden. One of them, or drop one of them for Michael James (vs. CAR), Roy Helu (@DEN) or Mike Tolbert (@TB)

WR- Brandon Marshall is off, I have Stevie Johnson or Denarius Moore. I put in for Jarret Boykin and Harry Douglas. If I get either of them, Stevie Johnson is the drop. Good move? Who would you look to start from this jumble?
Not a fan of Palmer. His offensive line is swiss cheese, so he's not able to make plays and tends to panic throw. This is likely his best match-up since week 1 (@STL) but hasn't cracked more than mediocre numbers yet with a few stinkers. But if those are your choices, avoid Pryor (PIT matchup is bad), and take your gut for Palmer vs Tannehill. Helu is the best option there, but that is chasing the points. But he did this same act against Oakland, so maybe he gets some split carries. Keep Mendenhall....they insist on keeping him fed for some insane reason. I like Boykin most of the WR's. Rodgers has taken anyone with the designation #3 receiver and made them a star.

B. Bolden or K. Thompkins?

Who should I make priority waiver number 1 Mike James or Marvin Jones? I'm 4th in line so I'm hoping to get one to replace R. Wayne.
Ugh, punt? Bolden had his best week, but only had 8 touches. Belichick is impossible to predict, but I don't consider Bolden to be dependable. Thompkins only saw 5 targets, Gronk is back and that limits all other WR's. I'm guessing Mike James will be the hottest name, but it's a complete gamble with their next game against the Panthers. They've quietly been a really good defense. Marvin Jones could be a steal if he continues to get targets like he has the last two weeks.

What's the consensus on dropping Jermichael Finley? I hear he could be back soon, or up to next year.

I feel like it may be too soon to not wait, and I may cut Mike Williams instead of Finley.

My best pick-up might be Helu Jr so I can tag team him and Alfred Morris, I'm looking for alts to Denver's bye week.
I think the phrase "bruised spinal cord in his neck" answers that question. I wish him the best and a full recovery (and I'm a Bears fan!) but I don't think we'll see him on the field anytime soon.

bread's done
Back