Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Lockout is Over Version

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']On BYE for me; Brady, McCoy, SF Def, Willis, Witten. People on the bench are Starks & Garcon, both who I don't want to drop for Brown because at this point there's no saying how long Best will be out (hell, he's not even completely ruled out this week).

I'm trying to trade 2 players for 1 right now, to both upgrade my team and free up a roster spot, but even if the trade was accepted today, I wouldn't get that free roster spot until Saturday morning. Brown could definitely be gone by then. Very lame.[/QUOTE] The byes this week have gutted my team, too. I'm missing Ryan Fitzpatrick, Fred Jackson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Hakeem Nicks, and SF DST. I'll be starting Hasselbeck at QB (could be worse), Rice and McGahee at RB (each have decent matchups, no problem there), and Green Bay's DST.

My WR situation is a bit ugly this week, though. Which 2 would you guys go with out of this mix:

VJax- Questionable, and on Revis Island if he does play
Santana Moss- coming off his worst game and with John Beck now throwing to him
Percy Harvin- leading MIN in targets, but Ponder's first start at QB and he's going against my DST (who admittedly have been weak against the pass)
Torrey Smith- One monster game, then a disappearance game, then an OK game last week. No idea what to expect from him

If it were me, I would go Ben. Seems like a safe pick and Cards defense isn't too hot.

My receiving team looks terrible because of the byes this week. Have Antonio Brown, Nate Washington, and Heyward-Bey (at flex). Thankfully, the league counts return yards. Going to miss Welker.

[quote name='ananag112']Which QB should I start this week?

Tim Tebow
Ben Roethlisberger
Carson Palmer
or Joe Flacco[/QUOTE] I say go with Big Ben. He's facing a horrible AZ pass defense.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Tebow or Freeman? Definitely leaning toward Tim but wouldn't mind a second opinion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd take T-Bone as well. Freeman finally came to life last week but until he puts together back-to-back decent weeks I wouldn't trust him.

[quote name='Danimal']My WR situation is a bit ugly this week, though. Which 2 would you guys go with out of this mix:

VJax- Questionable, and on Revis Island if he does play
Santana Moss- coming off his worst game and with John Beck now throwing to him
Percy Harvin- leading MIN in targets, but Ponder's first start at QB and he's going against my DST (who admittedly have been weak against the pass)
Torrey Smith- One monster game, then a disappearance game, then an OK game last week. No idea what to expect from him[/QUOTE]

You have to go with VJax even though his matchup isn't great. As for the others, I might actually go with Torrey Smith. I would not trust Beck or Ponder to get the ball to their WRs.

I got an interesting offer I'd like to throw out there:

They offered Mike Tolbert for Victor Cruz.

I've been killed this year with RB's. Currently my RB's are Shonne Green, Earnest Graham, James Starks, Felix Jones and Joseph Addai.

Would you do that trade?

[quote name='Number83']I got an interesting offer I'd like to throw out there:

I've been killed this year with RB's. Currently my RB's are Shonne Green, Earnest Graham, James Starks, Felix Jones and Joseph Addai.

Would you do that trade?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, Tolbert is clearly being outworked by Mathews. You're basically crossing your fingers he finds the end zone on any given week. Not that I think Cruz is much more reliable. I think it comes down to who your other WR are.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I dunno, Tolbert is clearly being outworked by Mathews. You're basically crossing your fingers he finds the end zone on any given week. Not that I think Cruz is much more reliable. I think it comes down to who your other WR are.[/QUOTE]

I'll have Calvin Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, and Brandon Lloyd left.

[quote name='Number83']I'll have Calvin Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, and Brandon Lloyd left.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need Cruz as much as you need Tolbert. Honestly, flip a coin, I don't think either player having either player will drastically help or hurt your team.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Tebow or Freeman? Definitely leaning toward Tim but wouldn't mind a second opinion.[/QUOTE]
I got those same 2 QBs also, probably going to start Tebow vs. MIA

Having a hard time deciding my flex.

Ingram
Roddy White (pretty much a bust all year)

Could also pick up

Battle (KC)
Torain (WAS)

I'm leaning towards Ingram at the moment since NO is playing IND with a weak run def and the saints should blow them out which means more run time.

Which is the best choice for my flex spot: Tolbert vs Jets, Addai vs Saints, or one of the Cowboys' RBs vs Rams? I picked up both DeMarco Murray and Tashard Choice. I don't think Tolbert will do much vs the Jets. Indianapolis will likely be down early and start throwing the ball a lot, so I don't expect Addai to see too many touches. That leaves me with Murray or Choice, and I'm leaning towards Murray.

This isn't a who to start question but a commissioner issue that i could use some advice on. Last night a pretty uneven trade took place (IMO), now i know collusion wasn't involved because the two guys don't know each other.

Team A traded away McGahee & Palmer (Both with no keeper status)
Team B traded away Miles Austin (4th Round keeper eligibility.)

The problem is Team B is the worst team in the league and didn't even need Palmer because he already had Eli Manning. McGahee is a nice RB for him though with him only having AP, Shonn Greene, & Michael Bush. Team A is easily the best team in the league and with this acquisition I'm afraid the other owners are going to feel it was tanked the season for everyone else.

TEAM A after trade:
QB - Schaub/Freeman
WR - Calvin/Andre/Steve Smith/Miles Austin/Antonio Brown
RB - Forte/McCoy/Sproles/Blount/Ridley
TE - Dickson/Vernon Davis

TEAM B after trade:
QB - Eli/Palmer
WR - Wayne/Harvin/Maclin/Moss
RB - AP/Greene/McGahee/Bush/Cadallac
TE - Chandler/Clark

2 weeks ago Team A pulled off a trade of his (Boldin, Hillis, Hernandez) for Team C's Lesean McCoy, and i had two managers who were very vocal about how they felt it was unfair. (In this case i didnt think so since it helped out both teams. So I'm afraid that if that trade was an issue, i cant imagine what i'm going to hear about with this one and i'm trying to be proactive and figure out a solution. This is our first year playing for money so everyone is taking it a lot more serious and i'm just not sure what do to.

Any suggestions on keeping the peace so everyone stays content? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

[quote name='antlp89']Having a hard time deciding my flex.

Ingram

Could also pick up

Battle (KC)
Torain (WAS)

I'm leaning towards Ingram at the moment since NO is playing IND with a weak run def and the saints should blow them out which means more run time.[/QUOTE]This is a tough call. White reminds me of CJ2K this year- you have to keep playing him because he's just too good to continue struggling like he has all year. You know the week you put him on your bench is the week he goes off for 160 yards and 2 TDs. Still, he plays a tough pass D while Ingram goes against a terrible run D. Ingram may be the smarter play for this week, but I don't think I could bring myself to bench White.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Which is the best choice for my flex spot: Tolbert vs Jets, Addai vs Saints, or one of the Cowboys' RBs vs Rams? I picked up both DeMarco Murray and Tashard Choice. I don't think Tolbert will do much vs the Jets. Indianapolis will likely be down early and start throwing the ball a lot, so I don't expect Addai to see too many touches. That leaves me with Murray or Choice, and I'm leaning towards Murray.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I would definitely roll with Murray. I was thinking of putting in for him myself this week, but half my team is on a bye, so I really can't afford to drop anyone. Too many teams ahead of me in the queue anyway; I'd never get him.

[quote name='onetrackmind']This isn't a who to start question but a commissioner issue that i could use some advice on. Last night a pretty uneven trade took place (IMO), now i know collusion wasn't involved because the two guys don't know each other.

Team A traded away McGahee & Palmer (Both with no keeper status)
Team B traded away Miles Austin (4th Round keeper eligibility.)

The problem is Team B is the worst team in the league and didn't even need Palmer because he already had Eli Manning. McGahee is a nice RB for him though with him only having AP, Shonn Greene, & Michael Bush. Team A is easily the best team in the league and with this acquisition I'm afraid the other owners are going to feel it was tanked the season for everyone else.

TEAM A after trade:
QB - Schaub/Freeman
WR - Calvin/Andre/Steve Smith/Miles Austin/Antonio Brown
RB - Forte/McCoy/Sproles/Blount/Ridley
TE - Dickson/Vernon Davis

TEAM B after trade:
QB - Eli/Palmer
WR - Wayne/Harvin/Maclin/Moss
RB - AP/Greene/McGahee/Bush/Cadallac
TE - Chandler/Clark

2 weeks ago Team A pulled off a trade of his (Boldin, Hillis, Hernandez) for Team C's Lesean McCoy, and i had two managers who were very vocal about how they felt it was unfair. (In this case i didnt think so since it helped out both teams. So I'm afraid that if that trade was an issue, i cant imagine what i'm going to hear about with this one and i'm trying to be proactive and figure out a solution. This is our first year playing for money so everyone is taking it a lot more serious and i'm just not sure what do to.

Any suggestions on keeping the peace so everyone stays content? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.[/QUOTE]One thing we tried in my league for a while was to randomly select 3 owners to vote any time there was a proposed trade. We thought about having every owner vote, but we have a few guys who haven't mastered e-mail yet, so we'd never get everyone's vote in time. We abandoned this when almost every trade ended up getting shot down. The guys in my league can find something to not like about almost any trade. It drives me nuts. One year a buddy and I did a 2-for-2 swap involving Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Terrell Owens, and Randy Moss. At the time, it would have been hard to find a more statistically even trade. After the trade went through, I had three different owners come to me bitching that I had screwed my buddy, and saying the trade was lopsided in my favor. My buddy heard the same thing from three other owners, but reversed- that he had screwed me over. No trade ever goes off without some bitching.

As to your situation, I'd say the trade favors Team A, but I've seen worse. Do you guys start 3 WRs and a flex? Team A is almost too stacked at WR if he can't play them all. And Team B did upgrade himself at RB. He should have asked for Freeman or Schaub instead of Palmer, but if Eli was all I had at QB, I'd be looking to add someone so I could play matchups.

[quote name='Danimal']As to your situation, I'd say the trade favors Team A, but I've seen worse. Do you guys start 3 WRs and a flex? Team A is almost too stacked at WR if he can't play them all. And Team B did upgrade himself at RB. He should have asked for Freeman or Schaub instead of Palmer, but if Eli was all I had at QB, I'd be looking to add someone so I could play matchups.[/QUOTE]

It's a PPR/Return Yardage League (1 pt = 20yrds)
We play: 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE)

Team A is stacked
For how our league scores points: He has the #2 (Calvin) , #4 (Smith) , now the #23 (Miles), and #24 WR (Andre). He also has the #2, #3, #5, and #22 RB's in the league. It's without question that his team is unbelievably stacked, but I'm not going to reject a trade because he's been able to draft, use waivers, and trade to build his team up where it is. Hell I admire his ability to do what he does, i cant pull off a trade to save my life in our league.

Team B had a lot of other WW options for a QB instead of giving up his best WR. Sanchez (108 pts), Hasselbeck (102 pts), Cutler, Smith, McCoy, Dalton, Flacco, etc are all still out there. I even offered this dude Cam Newton and Torain for Austin a week ago and he turned me down. He even rejected Newton & VJax, Daniel Thomas for his AP & Miles. Eli is also actually the #7 ranked QB in our league as well.

The problem I know is going to arise is i had 2 managers when he traded for McCoy that were extremely pissed and felt like he didnt give fair value for what he got and it took hours talking to those two guys alone to get them to chill out. I can't imagine what i'm going to hear about with this one. On principle I've never rejected a trade unless i can prove collusion, but i dont know what to do if the 5 other managers just say fuck it and quit because they feel it screwed up the balance in the league. It's a grey area between what i believe is right and appeasing everyone. The money aspect is making this so much more difficult for me to find a balance for everyone.

[quote name='onetrackmind'] The problem I know is going to arise is i had 2 managers when he traded for McCoy that were extremely pissed and felt like he didnt give fair value for what he got and it took hours talking to those two guys alone to get them to chill out. I can't imagine what i'm going to hear about with this one. On principle I've never rejected a trade unless i can prove collusion, but i dont know what to do if the 5 other managers just say fuck it and quit because they feel it screwed up the balance in the league. It's a grey area between what i believe is right and appeasing everyone. The money aspect is making this so much more difficult for me to find a balance for everyone.[/QUOTE]That's exactly how I feel about trades. There's no reason not to let them through unless it's extremely obvious that two owners colluded. I'm talking like Tom Brady and AP for Anthony Fasano and Olindo Mare. Some owners make dumb trades. That's part of the game. You can't (and shouldn't have to) save people from their own stupidity in the name of keeping everyone happy.

Not much you can do about it if guys quit because they don't like a trade. I wouldn't worry so much about keeping the peace- it's almost certain that you'll hear some pissing and moaning about it. Tell them if there's no collusion and both owners agree, the trade goes through. That's all the explanation you owe them. How they deal with it is up to them.

Ryan Matthews or Michael Turner? Leaning towards Matthews since Jets have trouble stopping the run, but worried Tolbert might vulture some points.

Also trying to decide between Flacco and Tebow. Leaning towards Flacco since its Tebow's first game and Jacksonville is pretty bad.

Have to drop a D due because of byes and Janikowski pending sitting out so who should I drop Bills or Giants?

QB question...do I use Sanchez against SD or do I pick up Cassel against Oak, Painter against NO, Kolb against Pit...this would just be a fill in this week for Brady

John Beck is also available....

I'll take Tebow at home. Which if you don't get, you didn't know it is a reunion of 2009 Gators in Miami - pregame.

[quote name='Number83']I got an interesting offer I'd like to throw out there:

Would you do that trade?[/QUOTE]

Yes. In the next two weeks you should start seeing more credible receivers pop up on the wire.

Ingram
Could also pick up
Battle (KC)
Torain (WAS)
I'm leaning towards Ingram at the moment since NO is playing IND with a weak run def and the saints should blow them out which means more run time.[/QUOTE]

Battle. Sproles and PT Cruiser make Ingram a tough play. Then again, White is still a big threat. I changed my mind, play White.

[quote name='SeanAmI']Ryan Matthews or Michael Turner? Leaning towards Matthews since Jets have trouble stopping the run, but worried Tolbert might vulture some points.

Also trying to decide between Flacco and Tebow. Leaning towards Flacco since its Tebow's first game and Jacksonville is pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

Turner, he's quietly putting up decent fantasy numbers. Flacco if you want to play it safe, Tebow if you want to risk it for huge fantasy numbers.

[quote name='kube00']QB question...do I use Sanchez against SD or do I pick up Cassel against Oak, Painter against NO, Kolb against Pit...this would just be a fill in this week for Brady
John Beck is also available....[/QUOTE]

Cassel or Painter. Either one is about the same risk. Sanchez has just stunk lately, and I don't know what happened to Kolb.

[quote name='Danimal']This is a tough call. White reminds me of CJ2K this year- you have to keep playing him because he's just too good to continue struggling like he has all year. You know the week you put him on your bench is the week he goes off for 160 yards and 2 TDs. Still, he plays a tough pass D while Ingram goes against a terrible run D. Ingram may be the smarter play for this week, but I don't think I could bring myself to bench White.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I feel the same, the week I bench him he will probably catch 2 touchdowns. The exact thing actually happened to me earlier in the season with Jermichael Finley (the week I bench him he gets like 25 points) and every other week I start him he is a bust. That's football for you I guess.

ARrgg you guys are making me want to give White another start... It's tough because he put up a lousy 2 points against Carolina's defense...

Alright I'll go with him, thanks for the advice.

And I agree with the Turner start, that guy is putting up a whole lot of fantasy points for me since ATL is focusing on it's running game (one of the many reasons I'd rather not start White).

[quote name='onetrackmind']It's a PPR/Return Yardage League (1 pt = 20yrds)
We play: 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE)

Team A is stacked
For how our league scores points: He has the #2 (Calvin) , #4 (Smith) , now the #23 (Miles), and #24 WR (Andre). He also has the #2, #3, #5, and #22 RB's in the league. It's without question that his team is unbelievably stacked, but I'm not going to reject a trade because he's been able to draft, use waivers, and trade to build his team up where it is. Hell I admire his ability to do what he does, i cant pull off a trade to save my life in our league.

Team B had a lot of other WW options for a QB instead of giving up his best WR. Sanchez (108 pts), Hasselbeck (102 pts), Cutler, Smith, McCoy, Dalton, Flacco, etc are all still out there. I even offered this dude Cam Newton and Torain for Austin a week ago and he turned me down. He even rejected Newton & VJax, Daniel Thomas for his AP & Miles. Eli is also actually the #7 ranked QB in our league as well.

The problem I know is going to arise is i had 2 managers when he traded for McCoy that were extremely pissed and felt like he didnt give fair value for what he got and it took hours talking to those two guys alone to get them to chill out. I can't imagine what i'm going to hear about with this one. On principle I've never rejected a trade unless i can prove collusion, but i dont know what to do if the 5 other managers just say fuck it and quit because they feel it screwed up the balance in the league. It's a grey area between what i believe is right and appeasing everyone. The money aspect is making this so much more difficult for me to find a balance for everyone.[/QUOTE]

The trade is fine. Everyone has different opinions on how they value players, and in any trade, some people are going to feel as if team A clearly won, others are going to feel as if team B clearly won. People can value players according to their past history, consistency, anticipated value, injury risk, or simply how much they like the players, among other things. Since no one weights these things exactly the same as everyone else, opinions will always differ.

My analysis about the trade is that team B made the trade to upgrade at RB and Palmer was a throw-in (perhaps team B thinks highly of Palmer). Prior to the trade, team B basically had to start Greene every week, and that isn't something that I'd feel confident in doing. After the trade, team B can be much more flexible in the roster he fields each week, and still has enough quality at WR to not suffer a huge drop in overall WR production, with the potential of increasing the overall production of his team.

Still struggling with which backs and wideouts to play this week.
Gotta start (2) RB & (3) WR.

MJD, SJAX, E.Graham.

M.Floyd, DHB, Dez Bryant, S.Rice

The only player I am starting for sure is Dez, the rest are up in the air. MJD and SJAX can be studs but they have horrible matchups.

Tebow

Ingram

Could also pick up

Battle (KC)
Torain (WAS)

I'm leaning towards Ingram at the moment since NO is playing IND with a weak run def and the saints should blow them out which means more run time.[/QUOTE]

It's a toss up between Ingram and White. The safe play is definitely Ingram.

[quote name='kube00']QB question...do I use Sanchez against SD or do I pick up Cassel against Oak, Painter against NO, Kolb against Pit...this would just be a fill in this week for Brady

John Beck is also available....[/QUOTE]

Sounds similar to my issue. I would go either Cassel or Painter. Sanchez is just not putting up much of anything lately.

[quote name='Chitown021']Still struggling with which backs and wideouts to play this week.

MJD, SJAX, E.Graham.

The only player I am starting for sure is Dez, the rest are up in the air. MJD and SJAX can be studs but they have horrible matchups.[/QUOTE]

They are bad match-ups but mjd is a beast and Jackson is due for a break out (hopefully Bradford can go and ease some of the pressure).

Tebow (@Mia) or Schaub (@Ten)?

Tolbert (@NYJ) or Hardesty (vs. Sea)?

Really crappy bye week for me, I have to start Graham, Murray, and Hardesty/Tolbert

[quote name='Dendaman']Tebow (@Mia) or Schaub (@Ten)?

Really crappy bye week for me, I have to start Graham, Murray, and Hardesty/Tolbert[/QUOTE]

I think I would go Schaub & Hardesty if it were me.

[quote name='Chitown021']Still struggling with which backs and wideouts to play this week.

MJD, SJAX, E.Graham.

The only player I am starting for sure is Dez, the rest are up in the air. MJD and SJAX can be studs but they have horrible matchups.[/QUOTE]

MJD hasn't given you a reason to bench him this year, so start him and pray. I'd go Graham over SJax. StL is in a state of flux and Graham should get more carries and catches than SJax will.

You're receivers are tough. I'd try Dez and Rice.

Tolbert (@NYJ) or Hardesty (vs. Sea)?[/QUOTE]

Schaub and Tolbert. But if you want to risk it, Tebow might blow up for 1 pass TD and 2 rushing TDs.

The big QB question, who do I start?

Moore vs Den
Kolb vs Pitt
Painter vs NO
Whitehurst vs Cle
Boller vs KC
Beck vs CAR

Leaning towards Painter, Boller, Moore, or Beck.

Really crappy bye week for me, I have to start Graham, Murray, and Hardesty/Tolbert[/QUOTE]

I'd personally go Tebow and Hardesty.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']The big QB question, who do I start?

Moore vs Den
Kolb vs Pitt
Painter vs NO
Whitehurst vs Cle
Boller vs KC
Beck vs CAR

Leaning towards Painter, Boller, Moore, or Beck.[/QUOTE]

Wow that's a load of crappy QBs. From that list, I think I'd go with Beck.

My question: Torrey Smith or Devin Hester as a flex option in a deep league?

[quote name='evildeadjedi']The big QB question, who do I start?

Moore vs Den
Kolb vs Pitt
Painter vs NO
Whitehurst vs Cle
Boller vs KC
Beck vs CAR

Leaning towards Painter, Boller, Moore, or Beck.[/QUOTE]

Beck. He was tearing it up in preseason, before Shanahan decided to go with the one guy that can't throw for a spread offense - Grossman.

Whitehurst is a close second.

[quote name='Kilraven']Beck. He was tearing it up in preseason, before Shanahan decided to go with the one guy that can't throw for a spread offense - Grossman.

Whitehurst is a close second.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same.

Still not sure which 2 WRs I'm going to go with this week out of VJax, Harvin, Moss, and T. Smith. Not sure what to expect from any of them.

The guy I'm playing against this week has beaten me in our league Super Bowl twice in the past four years, so I reeeeeally want to win this week. :lol:

Grabbed Painter, is it worth hanging onto Sanchez as a bye week filler, or to prevent someone else from having him? Or should I just drop him

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Danimal']Still not sure which 2 WRs I'm going to go with this week out of VJax, Harvin, Moss, and T. Smith. Not sure what to expect from any of them.

The guy I'm playing against this week has beaten me in our league Super Bowl twice in the past four years, so I reeeeeally want to win this week. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'd personally go with VJax and Moss. Don't trust Harvin against GB and you don't know what to expect from Torrey.

Well I think I've decided to go with MJD & Graham at RB (benching SJAX against DAL w/ Bradford out)

I think I'm also going with Dez Bryant & DHB at WR. Just trying to decide on my 3rd. Should I play M. Floyd or S. Rice?

I could also pick up Tampa Bay Mike Williams off waivers.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Tolbert or Jackie Battle or Damion Williams?[/QUOTE]

Yikes, that's a tough one. While you might get lucky with Tolbert if he gets a few goal line carries I'd probably go with Battle because he'll carry more of the load.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Tolbert or Jackie Battle or Damion Williams?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Chitown021']Yikes, that's a tough one. While you might get lucky with Tolbert if he gets a few goal line carries I'd probably go with Battle because he'll carry more of the load.[/QUOTE]I agree. I think Battle is your best bet today.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I'd personally go with VJax and Moss. Don't trust Harvin against GB and you don't know what to expect from Torrey.[/QUOTE]It's been hard to trust Harvin against anyone this year, but Green Bay gives up a TON of yards through the air. Of course, I'm starting the Packers DST today, so I'll be hoping they make Ponder's first start a miserable one.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Trying to decide between DHB and Little for flex. Neither is too appealing.[/QUOTE]

I'd probably take Little over DHB.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Good luck to everyone this week.... for many of us it is a make or break week.[/QUOTE]

Yep, after a horrible start my team has rallied to a 3-3 record. Trying to get over .500 for the first time this year but it will be very tough with the bye week taking away two of my stud players.

bread's done
Back