Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread

And I lose by a fucking point. Great...

Making the wrong decision at WR again is going to kill me if it keeps going on at this rate.

Hey guys, I could use your opinons on a trade. I have both Aaron Rodgers and Big Ben and since we only start one QB I'm trying to unload one of them because I'm hurting for a WR. Someone just offered me Wes Welker for Aaron Rodgers straight up which is clearly a retarded offer but can I make it worthwhile?

Here is my team

QB Aaron Rodgers
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Steve Smith (CAR)
WR Mohamed Massaquoi
RB Ronnie Brown
RB Michael Turner
TE Kellen Winslow
K John Carney
DEF GB
BNQB Big Ben
BNWR Jerricho Cotchery
BNWR Michael Crabtree
BNWR Anthony Gonzalez
BNRB Carnell Williams
BNRB Willis McGahee (dropping for either Hicks or Garcon

Here is his

QB Matt Hasselbeck
WR Wes Welker
WR Steve Smith (NYG
WR Donald Driver
RB LT
RB Larry Johnson
TE Dallas Clark
K Rob Bironas
DEF PIT
BNQB Kyle Orton
BNRB Marion Barber
BNRB Correll Buckhalter
BNWR Kevin Walter
BNWR T.J Housh
BNTE Jermichael Finley

I was thinking of maybe countering with Wes & Dallas for Aaron but even that seems a little light. Is my desperation clouding my judgement here? What do you guys think?

2 starters for one backup isn't fair any way you slice it. If he will give you Clark and Welker for Rogers do it without hesitation.

He's a back-up on your team though. If you can make that trade you are basically getting 2 starters (who are HUGE improvements over Winslow and Massaquoi) for nothing. Fantasy trades shouldn't be about equal value it should be about making your team better which this trade obviously does. Do it!!http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9314

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Aaron really isn't a "backup", he's a top 5 QB. Would you rank Wes over Steve Smith (NYG)?[/QUOTE]

At this moment? No. Smith-North is higher than Welker. However, I think a few weeks down the road Welker will be far greater than Smith-North - that's what you need to consider. With Nicks' presence, Manningham's health, Boss' health and Eli's health is Steve's numbers going to dwindle? I think they will. Don't get me wrong, he's still playing like a stud, but I think you'll get less points (on average) out of him weekly. Welker, on the other hand, is looking healthy, will get more looks, and has a better FF QB that's surging. Towards the end of the season, and into the playoffs, I'd rather have Welker in the line-up.

As for your trade, hell no. I wouldn't strengthen his QB position at all. Especially if you face him later on, and/or have playoffs.

Looking at your bench, I'd drop Gonzalez - trust me, even when he comes back he won't be back - and snag Nicks (I'm assuming you meant Nicks and not Hicks). Hold onto McGimpee for another week, just to see if his goalline love really is gone (and in case Rice tweaks something). I'd also drop Mo Mass. Yes, he's had two productive weeks, but he's what I call a bench cancer. Someone who you feel obligated to start, but rather wish you didn't, and will let you down more often than not - think a less-talented TO. He's playing on a team with a severe QB dilemma, right now I would touch anyone on that team until I see some fucking consistency. In fact, if Collie is on your WW, pick him up instead. I'd also sell high on Caddy. I like Caddy, but he's injury-prone and could wind up the only offense Tampa has. If that happens he's going to be a broke down caddy.

[quote name='javeryh'] Fantasy trades shouldn't be about equal value it should be about making your team better which this trade obviously does. Do it!![/QUOTE] QFMFT.

Personally, I'd counter with Big Ben for Welker. My Pack has a serious aversion to running the ball.

Kil, I'm dying at WR though. All my WRs have shaky QBs and if I can get even one who is at least constant I might actually be able to win. You would rather drop Gonzo over Crabtree for Nicks? I'm just at such a loss regarding them all. WHY JAKE DELHOMME, WHY???????

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Kil, I'm dying at WR though. All my WRs have shaky QBs and if I can get even one who is at least constant I might actually be able to win. You would rather drop Gonzo over Crabtree for Nicks? I'm just at such a loss regarding them all. WHY JAKE DELHOMME, WHY???????[/QUOTE]I heard that. I have the Carolina Steve Smith, too, and I'm wondering if I can start him anymore. The guy is one of the 5 best WRs in the game, but friggin Delhomme is absolutely killing him. My WR situation is pretty sad, too. I've got Smith, Chad Ochocinco, Torry Holt, Miles Austin and Chris Chambers. I just picked up Austin as a free agent last week, and I'm giving a lot of thought to starting him with Ochocinco and benching Smith. (We only start 2 WRs)

By the way, I agree with javery. If there's any way you can get him to go for Welker and Clark, I'd do the deal in a heartbeat.

I'd also like to throw in that if you're in a PPR league, you MUST do that trade. Welker is a top-5 WR in those leagues.

[quote name='Mike23']I'd also like to throw in that if you're in a PPR league, you MUST do that trade. Welker is a top-5 WR in those leagues.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point.

Someone just offered me Roy Williams for Greg Jennings straight up after I was bitching about Jennings low numbers. I got a laugh out of it. I thought Reggie Wayne and Greg Jennings together would be sick as hell. Oh well. I'm in 3rd place right now with a chance to move up to #2 with a win this weekend. Who should I start - would you guys make any changes? Here's my team as of right now:

M. Schaub (QB)
G. Jennings (WR)
R. Wayne (WR)
S. Jackson (RB)
T. Jones (RB)
L. Tomlinson (RB/WR)
J. Witten (TE)
S. Gostkowski (K)
New Orleans (DEF)

Bench:
T. Hightower (RB)
M. Sims-Walker (WR)
J. Flacco (QB)
J. Cutler (QB)
W. Parker (RB)
M. Manningham (WR)

I don't get PPR or anything for Special Teams. QB TDs are 6 points which is huge. Schaub has been great - I got him really late after everyone else had their starters already so he has been the late round difference for me. Thomas Jones has also been good and he was another late-rounder.

Lineup looks good.

I'd find a team in need of QB help & make a trade.

Parker is probably cut worthy if there's any intriguing options on the waiver wire. Crabtree?

Thanks. I tried cutting Parker this week to pick up the Colts D but someone beat me to it on the waiver wire so it got rejected. I'm still looking to drop him. Maybe I can package Flacco and Jennings for a top 10 WR or Flacco and Jackson for a top 10 RB...

Witten has been a HUGE disappointment this year and I actually drafted him way early (2 full rounds before the next TE was taken). I thought since Romo has a man-crush on him anyway and TO was no longer around he'd be catching 12-15 passes a game. I took a chance and it hasn't really worked out.

dont feel bad. there are millions of people who got burned on witten this year. youre line up looks good to me as well. and i agree you should be able to get a nice WR for QB, probably straight up, if you package in jennings you can probably get just about anybody.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Kil, I'm dying at WR though. All my WRs have shaky QBs and if I can get even one who is at least constant I might actually be able to win. You would rather drop Gonzo over Crabtree for Nicks? I'm just at such a loss regarding them all. WHY JAKE DELHOMME, WHY???????[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would and have. If he comes back - it's still an if - he's not going to be close to par. I've never known of any wideout, that's gone for over half the season, come back and make an immediate impact. Last year I drafted Galloway and Colston; Galloway never came back (unless you count a few catches for even fewer yards), and Colston didn't really deliver until the league's playoffs.

Anthony has been sitting on your bench for 6 weeks (I'll assume you started him week 1, as did I); each week has been a slot you could've used to pick up a Sims-Walker, an Austin, a Collie, anybody that's actually produced. Drop him, and pick up Nicks (why he's still on any WW is beyond me). Since coming back he's scored every game and his looks/catches have increased. As for Crabtree, he's playing, and healthy, which should account for something when Singletary is in charge.

And I've got no clue what the fuck is wrong with Delhomme. Srsly.

[quote name='javeryh']Witten has been a HUGE disappointment this year and I actually drafted him way early (2 full rounds before the next TE was taken). I thought since Romo has a man-crush on him anyway and TO was no longer around he'd be catching 12-15 passes a game. I took a chance and it hasn't really worked out.[/QUOTE]

The problem I'm seeing with Witten is lack of red zone love. He's getting the looks and good yardage, but 1 freaking TD is killing me.

[quote name='Kilraven']The problem I'm seeing with Witten is lack of red zone love. He's getting the looks and good yardage, but 1 freaking TD is killing me.[/QUOTE]

Also, the Cowboys are overrated yet again and they might actually suck ass. I really thought Witten would score 12TDs this year and go for 1,000 yards. The only time I really watch him play is against the Giants (and on national games) and he is always open and always kills them. Now I hate him even more.

Well, that trade fell apart. What do you guys think about Big Ben for Greg Jennings? I think he is going to turn his rocky start around and it's always nice to have a QB WR duo.

Kil, I grabbed Gonzo off the WW this last week and I got screwed by my WW position by one spot!! The guy right before me grabbed Nicks but I grabbed Garcon.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Well, that trade fell apart. What do you guys think about Big Ben for Greg Jennings? I think he is going to turn his rocky start around and it's always nice to have a QB WR duo.

Kil, I grabbed Gonzo off the WW this last week and I got screwed by my WW position by one spot!! The guy right before me grabbed Nicks but I grabbed Garcon.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I really hate WW rankings. I got screwed by one spot for Schaub when some idiot dropped him for some God knows who scrub.

I like Jennings and think he and Rodgers will start clicking real soon. But damn if Ben isn't throwing like a mofo. 400 yards last week and he's the league leader in yardage and 10 TDs. You trade him you best get Jennings, Driver, Grant, and Rodgers.

Yea, but at this point I have to either live with under selling him and evening out my team or hope my WRs start getting with the program. I guess I could wait until after this week and reevalutae....maybe Crabtree turns out to be a beast? A man can dream!

a beast all year, i doubt it. but making his debut in texas against a bad texans d... i wouldnt be surprised to see 50-60 yards and 1 td. they will throw to crabtree this week, the 49ers have to prove to the fans (and themselves) that he was worth the trouble.

I'm still up in the air about whether to go with Steve Smith or Miles Austin this week. Smith has been killing me, especially last week, but after he went off about their offense, and his role in it, maybe they'll do whatever they can to get him the ball more. Still, Delhomme. Ugh.

For that matter, I don't know whether I can keep Heath Miller out of my lineup in favor of Brent Celek anymore. Miller keeps scoring, and Celek drops off a bit with McNabb back. I hate playing guys who are going against my own D, though. I'm starting Minnesota against Pittsburgh because my only other option is Arizona's D against the NY Giants.

Probably won't matter this week. I have a feeling I'm going to get destroyed. Most of my matchups suck, my opponent has good matchups and a team full of guys who are rolling right now.

Bumping this in the hopes of getting some last minute opinions.

Steve Smith (Carolina) or Miles Austin?
Brent Celek or Heath Miller?
Kurt Warner (vs. the Giants) or Brett Favre (vs. the Steelers)?
Minnesota D (vs. Pitt) or Arizona D (vs. NYG)?

My matchups are not ideal this week. Making matters worse, I'm a huge Steelers fan, so I hate having split loyalties (if I start the Vikings D and/or Heath Miller)

I'd use Austin, Miller, Warner, and Minnesota's D.

Heath Miller is the hottest TE in the league;
SS 1.0 has been a ghost all year
Warner's going to be in a shootout
Minn/Pitt could be a defensive barnburner

[quote name='Danimal']Bumping this in the hopes of getting some last minute opinions.

Steve Smith (Carolina) or Miles Austin?
Brent Celek or Heath Miller?
Kurt Warner (vs. the Giants) or Brett Favre (vs. the Steelers)?
Minnesota D (vs. Pitt) or Arizona D (vs. NYG)?

My matchups are not ideal this week. Making matters worse, I'm a huge Steelers fan, so I hate having split loyalties (if I start the Vikings D and/or Heath Miller)[/QUOTE]

1) Austin against hotlanta. It's tough, but the Bills have given up 100 yd rushers (200 to Jones last week!) since week 3. If you think Carolina isn't going to let Williams/Stewart rush for a bazillion yards, instead opting for Delhomme to throw, you're crazy - and so would be Carolina. That, and Roy is still a little gimpy.

2) Heath against the Vikes. The Vikes give up too much to the TE that you have to start Heath.

3) Warner against the Giants. It's tough, but I'm thinking the Steelers are going to be all up in Favre's face. That, and the Giants will give up yards in the air to Arizona.

4) Minnesota. Your D match-ups suck this week. However, Big Ben does throw interceptions and gets sacked, while Jared Allen is a freaking stud!

Tough call with Jamal Lewis or Reggie Bush. Bush hasn't done much this year. I think I'd go with Jamal.

I'd also start DeSean Jackson over Miles Austin. I can see him and McNabb hooking up a lot on Monday night.

As for my own lineup calls, I went with the picks you guys suggested. I had 3 of the 4 penciled in already, but you talked me into Heath Miller. I'm getting tired of seeing Game Breaks with him scoring while he sits on my bench. :lol:

[quote name='spoo']Reggie Bush or Jamal Lewis?[/QUOTE]

lewis. hell get carries for sure. bush is will either have 13 points or 3 points.

[quote name='kube00']Who do I start Mils Austin or DeSean Jackson (playing WA Redskins)[/QUOTE]

jackson for sure.

i have my line up set, my choices are limited this week because of bye weeks. but the thing is, all my players except 2 are playing away games AND all my players play after the afternoon games. the guy im playing has 1 guy sunday night and 1 guy monday night. so i have just to sit and watch those games, and hope i have a huge lead. very stressful. not only that, but this is a rematch of the championship game last year, which i won. so hes out for revenge (luckily his players dont know that)

So here I was, ten minutes before kickoff, contemplating between Maroney and Austin for my flex position. After speaking with a friend and monitoring the pregame shows, it became a question of whether or not Austin would repeat after his bye. So instead of going with my gut and leaving Austin in my flex, chose the guy who I knew would get yards and a TD.

fucking brilliant.

Now I'm rooting against Brees and praying DeSean and the Philly's D do well, instead of enjoying an easy V.

Here I was thinking, up by 11, bradshaw vs jacobs, I have this in the bag (considering how both RBs have been lately). Of course, the one week jacobs has the good game and bradshaw doesn't...

fucking hell. I lost by a fucking point. AGAIN.

This is my W-L record so far in my money league. 1-5-1.

Week 1 - 72-71
Week 2 - 77-62 (my only win)
Week 3 - 68-65
Week 4 - 90-87
Week 5 - 80-73
Week 6 - 78-78
Week 7 - 96-95

Bloody fucking hell. I really need the money this year, and this shit happens.

I've got two great QB's in a one QB league - Brady and Schaub. After this weekend I'm thinking of trading one of them. Leaning towards trading Schaub, but what do you guys think? Also, what type of player do you think I should aim for in return? I'm thinking of trying to trade for an RB.

If you're weak at RB, that's definetly a good move. Trade for wherever you're weakest but don't make a trade just to make one.
Playing keep away has value too.

I have only done about 3 trades in my five years of fantasy football. They all were very good(one of the best being LTD for Corey Dillion because the guy had too many chargers on his team). I'm a firm believer in the waiver wire, true waiver wire warrior here. :) I would compare Brady and Schaubs schedules and see who has the most favorable match-ups. If you really need a position then go for a trade but, as said before don't just get rid of someone(since the NFL is unpredictable your star could fall into a slump or get injured).

Schaub has @Buf, @Ind, Ten, Ind, @jac, sea, @stl, @mia, ne
Brady has Mia, @Ind, NYJ, @NO, @MIA, CAR, @BUF, JAC, @HOU

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I may be forced to go with Bulger vs DET for Week 8 since Brady is on a bye.

There's crap on waivers and everyone I've tried trading with wants too much for what will be a 1 week band-aid for me.

Having Aaron Rodgers, New Orleans D and Sidney Rice on one team = EPIC JOY.
Too bad my RBs are Brandon Jacobs, Michael Bush and Beanie Wells (picked him up again after dropping him). I think Michael Bush is headed for benchville.
I won by around 40 points, but I would've won by a lot more (I started Bernard Berrian-1.8 points- instead of Miles Austin-29.1 points- in my Yahoo league).

[quote name='klwillis45']Looks like I may be forced to go with Bulger vs DET for Week 8 since Brady is on a bye.

There's crap on waivers and everyone I've tried trading with wants too much for what will be a 1 week band-aid for me.[/QUOTE]

If Garrard is out there snag him NOW! Tennessee has been making quarterbacks look godlike, and Garrard will throw.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I have only done about 3 trades in my five years of fantasy football. They all were very good(one of the best being LTD for Corey Dillion because the guy had too many chargers on his team). I'm a firm believer in the waiver wire, true waiver wire warrior here. :) I would compare Brady and Schaubs schedules and see who has the most favorable match-ups. If you really need a position then go for a trade but, as said before don't just get rid of someone(since the NFL is unpredictable your star could fall into a slump or get injured).

Brady has Mia, @Ind, NYJ, @NO, @MIA, CAR, @BUF, JAC, @HOU[/QUOTE]

First, let me say I agree emphatically with the WW love - especially after week 2 when you start seeing the gems shining. Smith-North, Manningham, Sims-Walker, just to name a few this year.

Secondly, I like Brady's schedule better than Schaub's. Not that Schaub doesn't have a hateful schedule - he could, conceivably throw for 400 yards against Ten, and Indy will require him throwing to keep up - quite the contrary, his schedule is damn nice. I just think Brady will get more 300yd/multi-TD games with his schedule.

I like Garrard much better than Orton to cover Brady's bye. I think Kilraven is right; playing against Tennessee, he's in for a big week. Orton has the Ravens, so in terms of matchups, it's no comparison.

[quote name='Kilraven']If Garrard is out there snag him NOW! Tennessee has been making quarterbacks look godlike, and Garrard will throw.[/QUOTE] A fine idea, but sadly he is already taken.

On the WW there's just the following starting QBs: Sanchez, Collins, Smith, Stafford, Johnson, Delhomme, Fitzpatrick/Edwards, Anderson, & Russell.

I'll stand by my pick of Bulger vs DET.

If you need RB help, go get Jamal Charles and/or Shonn Greene.
My wife picked up both. She had Washington, Westbrook, Jackson, & Cooley all get hurt this past week. Sad thing is she still could have won if she listened to me & started Hester instead of Washington.

Last edited by a moderator:
i picked up charles after leon washington broke his leg. hell probably ride the bench for the most part except during very nice matchups. but he may become a starting depending on what happens with the whole larry johnson twitter thing.

bulger vs detroit is a good matchup. but fitzpatrick played solid and has connected with lee evans. also dont dismiss alex smith. smith is the guy that was working out with crabtree to get him up to speed and he found him several times, not to mention davis in the endzone 3 times. problem is hes facing the colts, its a huge test for his first start in 3 years.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']bulger vs detroit is a good matchup. but fitzpatrick played solid and has connected with lee evans. also dont dismiss alex smith. smith is the guy that was working out with crabtree to get him up to speed and he found him several times, not to mention davis in the endzone 3 times. problem is hes facing the colts, its a huge test for his first start in 3 years.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Smith love; however, my only caveat is consider if SanFran will lot Gore run amok on Indy all day or not. Bulger versus Detroit is a good, safe pick. If Stafford and Calvin are both healthy, I'd take Stafford over Bulger in a heartbeat - if they're both healthy.

As a reminder to what klwillis45 posted: you better have Shonne and LeSean on your team if you're hurting for backs, Charles is number one if you're PPR and get return yards.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I have only done about 3 trades in my five years of fantasy football. They all were very good(one of the best being LTD for Corey Dillion because the guy had too many chargers on his team). I'm a firm believer in the waiver wire, true waiver wire warrior here. :) I would compare Brady and Schaubs schedules and see who has the most favorable match-ups. If you really need a position then go for a trade but, as said before don't just get rid of someone(since the NFL is unpredictable your star could fall into a slump or get injured).

Brady has Mia, @Ind, NYJ, @NO, @MIA, CAR, @BUF, JAC, @HOU[/QUOTE]

Thanks for listing the schedules. To me it would seem Schaub has a slightly better schedule (BUF, TEN, JAC, SEA, and STL all have very porous defenses). I'm going to see what kind of RB value I could get for either player.

im torn between starting pierre thomas or marshawn lynch. it should be a no brainer, but with mike bell stealing goal line touches, i just dont know anymore. the defenses are about the same, atlanta is 23rd against the run (thomas plays them), houston is 21st (lynch plays them). i should add that we are not ppr, and get a 2 point bonus at 100 yards. really, i need to start which RB is more likely to get a TD, because those are worth 6. an RB with 60 yards and a TD will score as many points as one that rushes for 100 yards.

[quote name='Kilraven']I agree with the Smith love; however, my only caveat is consider if SanFran will lot Gore run amok on Indy all day or not. [/QUOTE]

it all depends on how SFs D does. if indy gets ahead early, expect the niners to start throwing. if they game is close, they will be a run first offense.

So in my land of under-achieving WRs, I'm trying to figure out which two of these three to start this week: Greg Jennings, Houshmandzadeh, or Roy Williams. I figure I'll put Jennings in as one but the other two are just so equally crappy this year somehow.

bread's done
Back