Fareed Zakaria: Al-Qaeda Not Really A Big Deal, Americans ‘Overreacted’ To 9/11

IRHari

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Fareed Zakaria warns in Newsweek that Al-Qaeda was significantly more incompetent that Americans believed in the aftermath of 9/11, and the result is a “national-security state” that threatens civil liberties. Any other time of year, comments like this would be controversial at best, especially from the mild-mannered Zakaria. So close to the anniversary of the most painful event in recent American history, it borders on the callous.
http://www.mediaite.com/online/fare...ally-a-big-deal-americans-overreacted-to-911/

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/09/04/zakaria-why-america-overreacted-to-9-11.html

What does /vs/ think of this?

Pretty much agree with him. Al Qaeda was a lot less substantial, and a lot less organized than people thought/think.

They got overrated because of the scale of the attack they pulled off. Yet people forget that they haven't done much since then. Lots of suicide bombings in other countries--many of which are probably more people acting alone or in small cells with Al Qaeda just taking credit and trying to seem to still be a major, organized threat to world safety.

Al-Queda is a database of mujahideen recruited, trained, equipped, stationed and eventually pissed off by the CIA.

What is the appropriate amount of money to spend on disgruntled employees?

Americans did overreact because the media and the government scared the shit out of them with the constant footage, all the big scary warnings we got and all that other shit. Some buildings in new york get blown up and people in arkansas are out buying up supplies like its the end of the world. The news and media did most of the damage because they did their best to flood every facet of our lives with it for months on end extending into years, then suddenly a car explodes in buloxi mississippi and suddenly its on the news and being painted as a potential terrorist attack. It was all so damn ridiculous.

And al qaeda got lucky with that attack, ever since then its just been piddly shit here and there in other countries. They havent done anything on a sizeable scale since then. "Government reports" glorified them more than they were really, they painted them as professional terrorists capable over destroying all of america or something.

It still kills me though americans act surprised when it happened or like we were the babe in the woods. We had been in that country for a long damn time rolling tanks down their streets and blowing up their buildings. Finally someone over there gets sick of it and hits us back and we act surprised.

I'd say we overreacted.

Anyone remember the entire "Iraq is in league with Al-Queda, let's bomb the crap out of them and yell profanities at anyone who questions it?"

Yeah...

It's a sad indication of the American state of affairs that it's even slightly controversial to suggest that we overreacted policy-wise after 9 years of being bogged down in the middle east and watching our liberties encroached upon by the growing national security apparatus. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='camoor'] I think there is a point here but Zakaria's column is over-the-top.[/QUOTE]

What part of Zakaria's column did you disagree with? What part is 'over-the-top?'

[quote name='IRHari']What part of Zakaria's column did you disagree with? What part is 'over-the-top?'[/QUOTE]

All of it but if you want me to single out a paragraph then this is probably the silliest part:

Conservatives are worried about the growing power of the state. Surely this usurpation is more worrisome than a few federal stimulus programs. When James Madison pondered this issue, he came to a simple conclusion: “Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germs of every other … In war, too, the discretionary power of the executive is extended?.?.?.?and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people.
“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual war,” Madison concluded.

OK, good quote by Madison, but does it really apply to Zakaria's arguement? I look around America and I don't see a war mindset. I see a depressed poplace, a deadlocked government, and a miserable economy.

I don't have any issue with the government keeping the peace and protecting the borders - even the staunchest libertarian will agree that this is the government's job. As much money as America spends on protecting against domestic terrorism, it's worth it if we don't have another 9/11.

If you want to talk recent history I think you can do a great deal better with Eisenhower:

We must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex.

The ongoing foreign wars are the biggest cost and IMO the real problem. But Zak barely spends two sentences on this before launching into a whiny rant about the abundance of terrorist reports and the cost of domestic security (and you have to love the unreferenced opinion from unnamed senior officials - what did he overhear this at the Palm?). I'm certain there is alot of waste but it's going to take a better column then this sloppy hack-job to convince me where the real fat lies.

In the end, the most inexcusable part of the whole article is that he's so distracted by the cause du jour that he misses what's really going on. Whether it's the red scare, bay of pigs, domino theory, or fictional nuclear missles in Iraq, the military-industrial agenda is getting pushed through no matter what the majority of people think and that really is frightening.

[quote name='camoor']OK, good quote by Madison, but does it really apply to Zakaria's arguement? I look around America and I don't see a war mindset. I see a depressed poplace, a deadlocked government, and a miserable economy. [/QUOTE]

You aren't looking in the right places. Way too many people in this country would love to see us stick our dick into the hornets' nest that is Iran and it seems like the media is pushing it.

[quote name='Sporadic']You aren't looking in the right places. Way too many people in this country would love to see us stick our dick into the hornets' nest that is Iran and it seems like the media is pushing it.[/QUOTE]

If by media you mean Fox news then I agree. But IMHO it's not a majority mindset. Frankly I think most people care more about landing a good job then starting another foreign war.

You seem to be an expert on fox news camoor, maybe you should broaden your sources of media and start gathering your news from other places in addition to fox news.

[quote name='looploop']It's a sad indication of the American state of affairs that it's even slightly controversial to suggest that we overreacted policy-wise after 9 years of being bogged down in the middle east and watching our liberties encroached upon by the growing national security apparatus. :roll:[/QUOTE]

winner winner chicken dinner.

[quote name='perdition(troy']You seem to be an expert on fox news camoor, maybe you should broaden your sources of media and start gathering your news from other places in addition to fox news.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't take much. Just watch 5 minutes of that crap and you know all you need to about it.

[quote name='camoor']As much money as America spends on protecting against domestic terrorism, it's worth it if we don't have another 9/11.[/QUOTE]

Why did we miss the Fort Hood shooter, despite all the signs? Why did we miss the underwear bomber?

I'm a little unclear of how spending money to defend against domestic terrorism will stop foreign terrorism acts like 9/11.

[quote name='Clak']I'm a little unclear of how spending money to defend against domestic terrorism will stop foreign terrorism acts like 9/11.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, how long were the 9/11 hijackers in the country before 9/11?

Now, I don't necessarily think it's an issue of needing more money as opposed to better allocation of current (at the time) resources...

[quote name='Clak']I'm a little unclear of how spending money to defend against domestic terrorism will stop foreign terrorism acts like 9/11.[/QUOTE]

Oh gee I don't know.

Maybe officials will pay a little more attention when a group of men is interested in flying lessons, but only the taking-off part and not the landing part.

Maybe we'll pay attention to visitors staying in the country a wee bit more carefully.

Maybe TSA will think twice if the X-ray picks up a pair of boxcutters.

Any more softball questions?

bread's done
Back