Farewell President Bush

tivo

CAGiversary!
As his historic time in office comes to a close, we can begin to look back on President Bush and start to really surmise his legacy. Although a proper perspective of his presidency is years off, i read a satisfying article that articulates many of my current views:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24934654-7583,00.html

I know many who dislike Bush will disagree, but rest assure, neither you nor I will write the pages of history. Regardless, I hope we can at least find common ground on Laura Bush and her involvement in the world. Thank you and God Bless.

The author of the article is Australian. Meaning not only did someone have to go to Australia to find a person willing to give Bush a good review but (reading the article) that they also managed to find the dumbest person on the entire continent to write it.

The only thing more amusing, yet disappointing, than Bush, are those that are so desperately in need of a villain in their lives they love to hate him and blame him for everything they can think of.

Roberts' claims are absurd. His flippant disregard of the human rights violations committed, knowingly, by the Bush Administration during a war waged, in part, due to human rights violations, is the very sort of bias I would not expect from an "historian."

We will remember Katrina and Michael Brown.

We will remember record deficit spending, nearly doubling the national debt in 8 years. Shattering the reckless legacy of spending and its damage by Reagan.

We will remember "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in the United States," and the lack of response to that.

We will remember the weak Democrats, who rolled over and allowed the constitution to be violated, our right to be free from search and seizure except in cases of probable cause destroyed by the government and the phone companies, only to become retroactively exempt from lawsuits for violating the constitution.

We will remember economic ideology, where no matter the economic climate, the recipe for improved success was simply a new tax cut. Tax cuts were needed in strong economic times to keep the economy going, and tax cuts were needed in weak economic times. We will remember how people like Peter Schiff and Paul Krugman rightly called the housing bubble and subsequent recession. And we will not be fooled into thinking that the CRA was the cause of the market bust, since it was only responsible for fewer than 1 in every 5 ARM loans.

We will remember Alberto Gonzalez and his illegal role in firing attorneys who did not fit the Bush administration's political framework. And how he threw Monica Goodling under the bus (not that she wasn't culpable).

We won't forget the sound advice of as-of-today Secretary of Veteran's Affairs General Eric Shinseki, who pointed out the need for greater numbers of troops to be sent to Iraq, and was subsequently publicly rebuked by Paul Wolfowitz for it. 4 years into the invasion, when the troop level was brought up to that which Shinseki recommended, violence declined and order improved. This was after years of needless violence, chasing after an unknown enemy, lacking a clear directive, and far, far too many soldier and civilian deaths.

When a child swings a stick at a pinata for the first time, it's a somewhat joyful sight. The child is ecstatic because they get to do something new. Their parents get to enjoy their child performing a ritual that's been done for years and years and years past. So, even if that child continually misses the mark - even, perhaps, willfully, just swinging the stick for the hell of it instead of aiming for the mark - it's cute when their parent puts their hands on the child's shoulders, directs them towards the mark, and assists them in achieving the goal and getting the candy out for everyone to share.

Such a scenario is decidedly less endearing when you replace that child with a man in his 50's who is not blindfolded.

EDIT: Bush's legacy will be a goldmine for bookwriters several decades from now. Those people who want to make a Reagan-like symbol out of him (remember, Reagan was a pretty unremarkable president, but the idea of RONALD REAGAN as an American symbol, or a Republican symbol, is a powerful one), and those who want to make him into the person who deserves a DUI for their years running this country. We'll miss the anti-Bush market; and, I'm sure, The Daily Show will too. I can't imagine them being as funny for the next 4 years. But that's their challenge.

Bush will be remembered as a good president.

Centuries of now, nearly illiterate professors will sing songs of praise to the man who crippled the OOOO SSSSS AYE.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Bush will be remembered as a good president.

Centuries of now, nearly illiterate professors will sing songs of praise to the man who crippled the OOOO SSSSS AYE.[/quote]

Or whatever the survivors of what's left of the Enclave call it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Or whatever the survivors of what's left of the Enclave call it.[/quote]

The Enclave are punks. They never show up at Gecko after I prank call them. They're afraid of my sharpened spear.

[quote name='tivo']As his historic time in office comes to a close, we can begin to look back on President Bush and start to really surmise his legacy. Although a proper perspective of his presidency is years off, i read a satisfying article that articulates many of my current views:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24934654-7583,00.html

I know many who dislike Bush will disagree, but rest assure, neither you nor I will write the pages of history. Regardless, I hope we can at least find common ground on Laura Bush and her involvement in the world. Thank you and God Bless.[/QUOTE]

I knew you were not the brightest and pretty far right after the Israel crap but come on seriously the bushes? Even Laura Bush did harm in office, she showed up at the U.N a number of times and was reported to have snubbed numerous middle eastern and Asian diplomats and world leaders simply because she didn't agree with policy. Its hilarious to think that someone can even try and spin the Bush legacy into something positive. Africa is all he will be remembered for positively and even there he could have done a lot more. His fathers Legacy might be looked back upon later and people spot a number of positive things(for instance going against your party and promises to raise taxes was a good move)but Bush the son will go down as one of the worst.

[quote name='JolietJake']Don't let the door hit you on the way out....[/quote]

I caught a clip of the president flying out of town. I thought he would have taken the train.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I knew you were not the brightest and pretty far right after the Israel crap but come on seriously the bushes? Even Laura Bush did harm in office, she showed up at the U.N a number of times and was reported to have snubbed numerous middle eastern and Asian diplomats and world leaders simply because she didn't agree with policy. Its hilarious to think that someone can even try and spin the Bush legacy into something positive. Africa is all he will be remembered for positively and even there he could have done a lot more. His fathers Legacy might be looked back upon later and people spot a number of positive things(for instance going against your party and promises to raise taxes was a good move)but Bush the son will go down as one of the worst.[/QUOTE]

I actually went to Israel this past summer and like it more than all of the other countries I have visited (Mexico, Spain, Italy, England, a few of the Caribbean Islands, Germany, Egypt, but tied with Japan). If you ever go (although I doubt you're financially able to) I guarantee you would fall in love with the country and people like I did. As for Laura Bush, I can't believe anyone could think of anything bad to say about her as she's done so much good all around the world. Anyway, this was just a farewell address, we can all go slobber over Barack H. Obama and praise the arrival of the new basketball playing messiah now even though he has really done anything except ride affirmative action up to the top.

[quote name='Filler2001']Bush Jr. > Nixon > Obama[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but stay tuned. I doubt it'll get that "bad," but a lot of people are in for a hell of a wake-up call once the honeymoon with this clown is over.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Bush is the worst president ... so far.[/QUOTE]

Holy hyperbole Batman!

I'm a liberal but statements like this are akin to those that claim Bush is just like Hitler. Which he is NOT... for one thing, Hitler was a decorated frontline combatant.

Anyway, Bush did a lot of bad things, but his actions didn't lead to a civil war... well... at least not one on American turf...

Read a little history. Guys like Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan (our first and only homosexual president, but I have faith that Mitt Romney will get elected in 2016), US Grant, and especially Warren Harding were awful or worse. And trust me, as bad as Bush was, if those guys had access to modern technology, there would have been scandals that would put Watergate to shame.

It goes along that line that if you're a democrat, every Republican since afterLincoln must have sucked. And likewise if you're a Republican, only you hate on the Democrats.

I think I'm enlightened in the sense that I can look at things in perspective. Was Nixon a bad president? No way... he was a great president who had one major screwup. In the same vain, Kennedy wasn't that good as the commander and chief. He gets credit for the Cuban Missile Crisis, which somehow undoes the fact that he actually accomplished very little in office.

This is why internet debates on this shit are insufferable. Because everyone is a moron but me... and the select few who understand that every president is the worst president at that time. The funny thing about history is we're not around to see it written. So maybe in a 100 years Bush will be remembered as a great leader. I don't know. It might take that much time or longer for the Iraq situation to play itself out. But we're an instant-gratification society anymore. We want a payoff and we want it NOW to go with our instant mocca-lattes and instant-jackpot lottery tickets.

I feel bad for Obama and I feel bad for George W. Bush. Americans are fucking morons. They think change will happen instantly. You know, Reagan gets credit for ending the cold war because it... kinda happened shortly after he was president. Instead of giving credit to... say... Nixon, who was the first president to visit the USSR and the first to have a working agreement with the Soviet Union. It was under his watch that the national mentality of the Russians began to change. Nobody wants to cast Nixon as the hero so they give credit to the guy who did very, very little in the grand scheme of things to make it happen.

People have no patience. They want answers and they want them now. Was going to Iraq the right thing to do? Likely not, but we're there now and there's no turning back. I do believe there is hope there for some kind of stability and civility, but it will take a long time. We might not be here to see it play out. When John McCain said we would have troops there for 100 years, people got pissed because they're morons. I didn't vote for McCain (I voted for Barack Obama), but I understood his point. He got screwed because politics is nothing but an endless series of soundbites and buzzwords played ad-nauseum on talking head shows. Obama is a pretty smart guy, but our best and brightest really can't be presidents because we don't have time for articulate guys who need more then two minutes to explain their policies. Red necks don't get what they're saying and city folk don't have time to listen to it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Not yet, but stay tuned. I doubt it'll get that "bad," but a lot of people are in for a hell of a wake-up call once the honeymoon with this clown is over.[/QUOTE]

Come on now.

I'm anxiously awaiting all the different ways Bush will continue to get blamed for anything bad the next 4 years.

If Yellowstone erupts, it will be his fault for not taking more action on climate change.
If the dollar completely crumbles (and it most likely will) it will be his tax cuts that are blamed.
If we get a terrorist attack, it won't be the relaxing of national defense Obama will no doubt entertain, but Bush pissing off the wrong people in the Iraq war.

Yes I'm serious. Watch and see.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Come on now.

I'm anxiously awaiting all the different ways Bush will continue to get blamed for anything bad the next 4 years.

If Yellowstone erupts, it will be his fault for not taking more action on climate change.
If the dollar completely crumbles (and it most likely will) it will be his tax cuts that are blamed.
If we get a terrorist attack, it won't be the relaxing of national defense Obama will no doubt entertain, but Bush pissing off the wrong people in the Iraq war.

Yes I'm serious. Watch and see.[/quote]

you mean how like Bush Admin blamed Clinton for 9/11

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']you mean how like Bush Admin blamed Clinton for 9/11[/QUOTE]

Yes kind of, but I'm not just talking about the administration placing blame, I'm talking about the media, pundits, and journalists.

The funny thing I find about this is that you, Naes, have nothing better to do other then wish I dont have kids for joking on the internet (Oh wait, you said my family - even better)

[quote name='Filler2001']The funny thing I find about this is that you, Naes, have nothing better to do other then wish I dont have kids for joking on the internet (Oh wait, you said my family - even better)[/quote]
No, the joke here is that you really think that George W. Bush was one of the best presidents ever.

I never said he was one of the best presidents ever (Lincoln, Washington, and a few others have that covered IMO), but I did support him. But hey, who gives a shit you want me and my family to be sterile because you disagree with me?

I think all political message board users should be sterilized for the good of the herd.

Seemed like a nice enough guy, but Bush just never seemed out in front of anything. Ever.

You have to give him credit that after 9/11, there were no further terrorist attacks on American soil. However, in almost all other aspects, he was a below average president, probably one of the worst two-term presidents in U.S. history and I say this as someone who voted for Bush twice.

^ : scratches head: sooooo... you knew he was bad yet you voted for him for 4 more years? hmm... still doesn't compute.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Good summary here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtnE4C9Gv5U[/quote]

Uh... ok... who is this guy. Geez. I thought reporters were just suppose to read the news not give opinions?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xdPi1-O9k[/media]

Olbermann is not a reporter. He's just a left equivalent of guys like Hannity and O'Reilly on the right. These guys are the TV equivalent of op ed columnists.

[quote name='VipFREAK']^ : scratches head: sooooo... you knew he was bad yet you voted for him for 4 more years? hmm... still doesn't compute.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, it just shows just how weak the Democratic candidates were. Kerry would have been awful for this country.

[quote name='dopa345']Actually, it just shows just how weak the Democratic candidates were. Kerry would have been awful for this country.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='dopa345']Actually, it just shows just how weak the Democratic candidates were. Kerry would have been awful for this country.[/QUOTE]

Worse than Bush has been? No way.

[quote name='VipFREAK']^ : scratches head: sooooo... you knew he was bad yet you voted for him for 4 more years? hmm... still doesn't compute.

Uh... ok... who is this guy. Geez. I thought reporters were just suppose to read the news not give opinions?

[/quote]

Olbermann is just another smartass loudmouth on TV that loves the sound of his own voice. He's as smug and arrogant as O'Reilly as far as I am concerned.

[quote name='dopa345']You have to give him credit that after 9/11, there were no further terrorist attacks on American soil. However, in almost all other aspects, he was a below average president, probably one of the worst two-term presidents in U.S. history and I say this as someone who voted for Bush twice.[/quote]
Only thing about the "no further terrorist attacks on American soil" bit, is that you don't know that there would have been if Gore had be elected either. We can't say for sure that anything Bush did prevented another attack.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Olbermann is just another smartass loudmouth on TV that loves the sound of his own voice. He's as smug and arrogant as O'Reilly as far as I am concerned.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I find Olbermann to be far less nasty and divisive compared to the likes of O'Reilly and Hannity. But yeah, the man does enjoy the sound of his own voice...

[quote name='dopa345']You have to give him credit that after 9/11, there were no further terrorist attacks on American soil. However, in almost all other aspects, he was a below average president, probably one of the worst two-term presidents in U.S. history and I say this as someone who voted for Bush twice.[/QUOTE]

Its always funny when people say that there wasn't a terrorist attack during these last years. I mean seriously why should there have been one? They got what they want. Osama Bin Laden said his intention from the start was never to damage American citizens but the American economy. Given the state we are in now after Bush stupidly did what Bin Laden wanted and blew a trillion dollars mostly on the war they really had no reason to attack us. Other words from the man was that he wanted our blood to run on their soil. He didnt state he wanted our blood to run the streets of our own cities....but of theirs. So again don't give Bush credit for something stupid like this, he didn't keep us safe he just blew all of our money and pissed off a new generation of Muslims who will later be the ones to try and attack us.

Wow...I believe all presidents should be shown respect, but if anyone deserves a goodbye like that, he does.

[quote name='evanft'][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDzJHdxWAc[/media][/quote]

[quote name='Capitalizt']Wow...I believe all presidents should be shown respect, but if anyone deserves a goodbye like that, he does.[/QUOTE]

You judge a man not be his position but by his actions and his actions have not been moral. I would spit at the mans feet if I ever meet him face to face. Only thing that would keep me from spitting in his face instead would be jail time.

I think history will be kind to Bush. He doesn't deserve half the crap a lot of people give him. You show the man respect because of his position, whether good or bad. It doesn't mean you have to like him.

Also, you should be grateful for Bush. Because without him, the country wouldn't have Obama. So I suggest you start thanking him.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think history will be kind to Bush. He doesn't deserve half the crap a lot of people give him. You show the man respect because of his position, whether good or bad. It doesn't mean you have to like him.

Also, you should be grateful for Bush. Because without him, the country wouldn't have Obama. So I suggest you start thanking him.[/QUOTE]

That's like thanking all those men who kicked the shit out of their wives for bringing us domestic violence laws.

THANKS GUYS!

I can't see history being kind to Bush. He may not be remembered as the worst president, but he won't be looked on favorably.

Just too many negatives that will be remembered. The Iraq War (and the non-existant WMDs), not getting Bin Laden, the botched response to Katrina, the US Attorney firing scandal, warrantless wire taping, waterboarding, Gitmo/Abu Ghraib, the economic collapse, etc. etc.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think history will be kind to Bush. He doesn't deserve half the crap a lot of people give him. You show the man respect because of his position, whether good or bad. It doesn't mean you have to like him.

Also, you should be grateful for Bush. Because without him, the country wouldn't have Obama. So I suggest you start thanking him.[/quote]
Respect is earned, not given.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie'](our first and only homosexual president, but I have faith that Mitt Romney will get elected in 2016)[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, why do you think someone who is married with five children is homosexual? What do you know that the world doesn't?

bread's done
Back