Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) $82.50 @ Target.com

I'm holding out for reviews to find out whether these are actually any better than the DVDs before double-dipping, since apparently they're just an upconversion. If they'd done it right and redone the special effects and such in HD, I'd have been all over this, but I'm not convinced it's worth bothering as is. A shame, because I do really like this series.

[quote name='arcane93']I'm holding out for reviews to find out whether these are actually any better than the DVDs before double-dipping, since apparently they're just an upconversion. If they'd done it right and redone the special effects and such in HD, I'd have been all over this, but I'm not convinced it's worth bothering as is. A shame, because I do really like this series.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm kinda keeping an eye on that as well. I actually own the first two seasons in ADV's original version, so I probably could use an upgrade.

[quote name='arcane93']I'm holding out for reviews to find out whether these are actually any better than the DVDs before double-dipping, since apparently they're just an upconversion. If they'd done it right and redone the special effects and such in HD, I'd have been all over this, but I'm not convinced it's worth bothering as is. A shame, because I do really like this series.[/QUOTE]Assuming this isn't a fluke review, the answer is no:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Farscape-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/26648/#Review

I didn't figure they would take the time to probably redo the picture as I imagine it would have been prohibitively expensive. Though it looks like the audio is a big improvement according to that review.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I didn't figure they would take the time to probably redo the picture as I imagine it would have been prohibitively expensive. Though it looks like the audio is a big improvement according to that review.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll consider it when it hits the sub-$50 price point. Until then I can live with my DVDs.

Well, I've been hearing for awhile now about the show's 35mm prints being long gone and that with the show's non-HD visual tech would make getting the BR a low priority unless you really want the lossless sound. My audio set up isn't the best, so I could stand to wait until the price comes way down. I already have the complete series on DVD, so I guess I'll have to be happy with that for now.

[quote name='funkymonkeyjavajunky']How do you get free shipping?[/QUOTE]Shipping is always free at Target for $50+ orders.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I didn't figure they would take the time to probably redo the picture as I imagine it would have been prohibitively expensive. Though it looks like the audio is a big improvement according to that review.[/QUOTE]Audio redo is easy, since numerous old movies get some good audio upgrades when they clean it up and re-record it. Video, not so easy to do without hitting it hard with the DNR paintbrush.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I figured as much. Now we need to see a review comparing it to DVD to see if it is any better.[/QUOTE]I think a site like ComingSoon, DVDTalk or other sites that aren't BD-only will have something about it. Blu-Ray's forums might have something about the comparisons.

You know, I have something to put on my Xmas list now.
4 seasons, 20 discs, but does it include the final 5th season miniseries, Peacekeeper Wars? The story wouldn't be complete without it. I'm not seeing it described in the review.

Looks like The Peacekeeper Wars won't be included so it's not really the "complete" series. The blu-ray version of TPW is only available in Europe. Unless Best Buy includes it as an exclusive bonus like they did with the DVD set, I won't bite until the price drops.

[quote name='d3adliner']Regardless of the picture not being "remastered", there's still an improvement over the compressed dvd sets.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's what I'm waiting to find out. Yes, it's distinctly possible that it's an improvement. But I'm not going to assume that to be the case.

Can't wait for blu. Hopefully we'll end up getting Peacekeeper Wars on blu-ray sometime as well. If anybody is looking for season 1-4, the original release Dvd sets, complete, lmk. Oh yeah, season 4 is still sealed.

Farscape is one of my fav series, but I don't see myself ordering this having the last DVD set already. At least not until I upgrade my 10+ year old 5.1 audio system =]

I called Target support for help on this one. Spoke to two non-English speaking employees. One a manager. Neither had a straight answer.

The most I could get out of is that they will sell it at this price until they "are done".

I bought it from Amazon for $60 early this year. I had never seen it before and just blind bought it.

Amazon, one of the best shows ever. I have also blind bought Six Feet Under and Wonderfalls and all are must buys.

[quote name='bigdaddy'] I have also blind bought Six Feet Under and Wonderfalls and all are must buys.[/QUOTE]
You need to watch Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies. Both shows were made by Bryan Fuller of Wonderfalls.

[quote name='Keen314']You need to watch Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies. Both shows were made by Bryan Fuller of Wonderfalls.[/QUOTE]

Seen them both. I can't really stand Pushing Daisies, it was too much and he never followed his own rules.

And he only did like 6 episodes of Dead Like Me before quitting because Showtime wouldn't let the dad be gay (One of many reasons he left). However it's an awesome show too, ends well enough. The movie is horrible and I just try to forget it.

And when did Farscape come out on Blu-Ray? I thought it would be in 2012.

bread's done
Back