Fat Princess - Gen Discussion & Info - $15 - 7/30

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']This game will most likely force me to buy a PS3 when the price drops in April. This looks like an instant classic.[/QUOTE]Uh, that was only a prediction by Patcher(sp), who then changed his mind again after that the one article went up about a price cut. Patcher is wrong 80% of the time. Regardless, we don't know when Sony ever will. It could be next week, it could be 2010. Other article is here. I mostly believe Reeves in him saying Sony mostly wants to make money right now (since PS3 is still sold at a loss).

But sales aside, every video I've seen has looked great and makes me want it more. It should be coming in the not so distant future since it was on an SCEA employees PS3 console.

I would actually bet on a PS3 price drop in September. Sony does look to have the best Holiday lineup this fall so far.

I'd say around the summer time, if there's the usual drought of games.

If there's a steady flow of AAA titles then my money is around fall.

Man I guess I gotta watch where the info is comin from. I first heard from a friend that it was dropping down to around $100. Of course this friend has no idea what he is talking about and I did not take it seriously. A week or so later though I saw something on IGN saying that it was dropping in April to something like $250, so I immediatly took it as the truth without reading more.

Bah, I got my own hopes up...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Was it on the Spring Fever list? If not, I'd expect it during the summer, maybe around July/August.[/QUOTE]Actually, I believe the Spring Fever was intended for games out before Spring time (or I thought). Who knows, I need to re-read the PS Blog.

The matches -- pitting the people playing on the three TVs against each other and 29 bots -- was taking place on the same map I has seen at E3 called Black Forest, but even so, it was cool to see how far the game had come. To begin with everything was brighter and cleaner. Now, the game looked good before, but now there's just a slick feel to it as the gears and pipes of the hat-producing machines flutter on the screen and as your team storms the gates of an opposing enemy castle.

Got wood?
Still, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. See, there are five classes in Fat Princess, but you don't need to choose what you want to be before you set out in a match. In your base, a multi-tiered castle with plenty of defenses and a holding cell for your female prisoner, you'll find several machines pumping out caps for your men. When you pick one of these distinctive hats up, you take that class for as long as you survivor or until you grab another piece of headwear. Now, each of these caps comes with its own set of benefits. When you pick up the horned cowl of a warrior, you'll get a six-heart life bar, gnarly sword, and shield to protect yourself from incoming attacks. Choose to be a heavenly cleric, and you can heal you allies. Pick up a villager hat, and you can chop down trees and mine metal so that you can upgrade your base.

My gameplay demo actually focused a lot on this upgrading ability -- which is something I had never seen in this amount of detail. While jogging around the eye-popping green ground and clear blue stream, your villager can pick up the aforementioned wood and metal and you'll see those resource totals grow in a top-right, onscreen meter. Back at base, you'll come across little spots with padlocks on them. These icons signify that you can work some building magic on the spot and create or improve what is already there. See, sometimes building will be as easy as creating a seesaw catapult that can rocket your men across the map into the enemy's base, but other times you'll be able to upgrade the machines that are pumping out class caps. Each class has three levels of use and each comes with power-ups that will change the face of the game.

While the resource-gathering villagers might not be something to fear at Level 1 (they can only slap opponents), they'll be able to toss out explosives once you level that particular machine up. The warriors and their swords are nothing to mess with in any arena, but once their devices start spitting out upgraded hats, they'll be able to wield a glaive so that they can slice through the competition in a full-on run. Upgrade you're ranger (see: archer), and you'll get a sweet-looking musket.

Even as you're adding in these levels and changes, Fat Princess seems like it's going to be simple enough for anyone to jump into. You can charge an attack by holding Square (you can run while doing this), L1 will lock onto enemies and give you a short and sweet health summary (green hearts with smiling faces are good to go; yellow hearts with a plain face are damaged; and red, sad-face hearts are on death's door), and R1 allows you to strafe across the map.

Aside from getting to play the game, the lounge actually gave me the chance to goof around with the game's menus and setup. First off, the whole thing is stylized in this cartoon motif so that when you check out the tutorial section you're paging through this storybook, but beyond that, the entire setup has a very tongue-in-cheek. Leaderboards are under "Bragging Rights," options are "Twiddly Knobs," and your personal statistics -- all 15 pages that document things from the number of games played to multiplayer stuns to single-player fire power-up kills -- are termed "Why I'm Awesome."

The characters in Fat Princess are simple guys to fit the simple environment, but you're welcome to fool with your character as you see fit. Under the "Get Fabulous" option, I was able to change skin color, make my eyes go from green to blue to brown, and modify what kind of facial hair my guy was rocking. Pigtails and mullets are possible for hairstyles, but I stumbled upon the "baldy" option and the ghostly white skin and something tells me you're going to see a lot of Kratos clans running around this game.

Fat Princess is set for a summer release and should launch with six maps. Personally, I can't wait. I dig that you score points for killing bad guys but also for committing to your role of villager and upgrading the hat machines, the game's a breeze to jump into and a blast to play -- nothing says fun like decapitating your friends and watching their blood gush across an Animal Crossing-like world -- and I can see me putting a lot of online hours into this one. Look for a video preview of Fat Princess this week on IGN, and keep checking back for updates.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/965/965736p1.html

Looks like its Summer 09.

G4TV reports that it is peer to peer and not dedicated servers. I question the validity of this, but if true it kind of sucks.

Oh and its Push to Talk as well, which is good since I expect a ton of little kids on this game.

Art style seems wonky with the characters (would of wanted it to look more Team Fortress 2-like). Too bad the holders of the Army Men license didn't think of something like this. Glad to see the diversity with level design and 32 online makes this a no-brainer, so long as they have a stable online infrastructure (always worrying with an independent/new studio).

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/27/gdc09-fat-princess-offers-single-player-story-planned-for-summ/

New single-player mode details:
Additional details regarding Fat Princess' single-player modes have been revealed at GDC. "Gladiator" mode pits you against wave after wave of enemies using a fully-leveled character. "The Legend Of The Fat Princess" is a more traditional single-player offering, featuring a story that explains how cake came to the realm. This mode is more like the multiplayer gameplay you've seen before, but against AI bots.

[quote name='smiggity']What a lame ass beta-entry method. Seriously WTF[/QUOTE]I don't think its lame, because I actually plan on entering. My cup cakes should be arriving soon (I actually get cup cakes every Wednesday), and I'm planning on showing my PlayStation

This guy is dedicated. And lucky as hell.

3161_1020614690259_1671955361_28349_3299496_n.jpg

[quote name='Sarrasis']For those who don't want to do the uber-retarded facebook method, Gamespot is giving out codes as well.[/quote]

Thanks. I sent an e-mail to gamespot, we'll see if anything comes of it.

[quote name='Sarrasis']For those who don't want to do the uber-retarded facebook method, Gamespot is giving out codes as well.[/quote]
Sweet, but Thursdays are no good for me. :cry:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
Exactly, that is why SCEA did this, to PROVE who the most dedicated was. Personally, I think this is the best way to handle a closed beta, making people do something a bit out of the ordinary to get in. If you don't do it, it means you don't care all that much. For me, I'm willing to try.[/quote]

This could be the dumbest propaganda I have ever seen you spit out on these forums. For real.

[quote name='smiggity']This could be the dumbest propaganda I have ever seen you spit out on these forums. For real.[/QUOTE]I participated in the contest and proud of it.:D A few other CAGs did it with me too. I like the contest because it makes people do something out of the ordinary, kind of like a contest making people dress like certain video game characters.

Heh, I made it in. Got my confirm message not too long ago.

Good thing I work from home and had leftover bunny cake handy that my daughters made. (It looks like a bunny, not made out of bunnies) :)

bread's done
Back