Fat Princess - Gen Discussion & Info - $15 - 7/30

You should try this again during Tuesday/Thursday at 6pm to 10pm PT, the time the beta recommended players to try their best to log on during that time frame.

Opinions?

Boring as hell single player and it takes too long to build extra (Catapult, Ladder etc) things as the worker. Other than that its good not great

[quote name='BREVITY']Cant wait to play. Didnt get a code so you guys post your opinions.[/quote]

So far it feels *too* balanced if that is possible. Not matter what success I have it seems to have little impact on the outcome of the game.
Hopefully this will change with fuller staffed games and teams can use tactics, but I'll believe it when I see it.

On the other hand, my wife's friend, who isn't into gaming, saw me play a bit and couldn't stop laughing especially at the name of the game, when I fed the princess cake, and when the princess called out to be fed.

I actually think the game will play pretty well when its 32 real people. That in base catapult with a bunch of warriors/clerics will be brutal I'm betting.

I have to play the game in the single player mode. Multiplayer mode don't work, always full or something like that. Over all, i think this game has potential. For once, no special skills needed, just plain old team work.

fun game. First day purchase for me. whenever stuff is officially organized let me know and I am down to play.

Red team 4 Life. (sorry I heard the nWo music in my head)

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']You should try this again during Tuesday/Thursday at 6pm to 10pm PT, the time the beta recommended players to try their best to log on during that time frame.[/quote]
Anyone up for tonight?

So i've had some good luck getting into games lately, but it seems like building/repairing has been pretty buggy lately, anyone having the same problems? Smiggity? I know you've been in the same games as me lately.

Yeah was that you last night? Good times. The game drastically improves with mic usage. Yeah sometimes the builder will bug out on me, I wont be able to do anything. Like I will chop a tree 10 times and it wont fall down.

My oinion is coming around on this, should be a ton of fun when it releases

[quote name='brighenne']So i've had some good luck getting into games lately, but it seems like building/repairing has been pretty buggy lately, anyone having the same problems? Smiggity? I know you've been in the same games as me lately.[/quote]

What process are you guys going through to find games? I tried to join a game on the ServerU server. I got in but no body was there. Saw a friend online last night but apparently his game was full and couldn't add through a match either.

Would really love to play with some real folks.

Dr. SP

ServerU server? I have no idea what you are talking about. I can only find a game Thursday and Tues nights, other than that it just puts me back to the title screen after searching.

[quote name='smiggity']ServerU server? I have no idea what you are talking about. I can only find a game Thursday and Tues nights, other than that it just puts me back to the title screen after searching.[/quote]

About 4 or 5 days ago, I received an email from Titan identifying some of the problems folks are having. It gave me the name of 5 "friends" that I could add who would act as servers for the game. 4 of the 5 were full. ServeU was one that I added successfully, but haven't found any players there. (It is ServeU not ServerU, a typo in my op).

Full messsage below:

"Greetings, Fat Princess Beta Testers!

First off, we'd like to thank all of you for participating in the
Fat Princess(R) Beta. Because of it, we've already found a lot of
bugs that would have otherwise remained hidden. The overall
feedback has been great, and is going to be very helpful in
polishing the game and improving the play experience. Most
interestingly, a couple of critical "live game" problems have
already been discovered and need to be fixed immediately.

Current Big Issues:
- Trouble joining games
- Lag interfering with gameplay

For the latest updates, please go to:
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xlJnqvWEccHTlJEHWccPnqqcqPH

Trouble Joining Games:

Many of you have been experiencing difficulty in joining games.
These problems are being caused by a bug that is suggesting a very
limited number of servers to a lot of different players. As a
result, these servers are getting pounded by requests, can't handle
all of them, and so people don't get in. It may also be causing
some lag for players in the games as the host machines choke on
the requests. We have a fix in development as well as a work-around
to use in the meantime.

The best way to avoid this problem is to use the "Play With Friends"
feature when joining a game. In order to do that, you'll need some
other friends who are in the beta. Once you're in a game, add the
names of the people you're playing with to your PSN Friend List by
using the "Players Met" feature in the XMB(TM) (Xross Media Bar)
Friend List.

From that point on, if you're having trouble joining games, try
joining a friend's game instead. Also, please note: because of these
problems, if you create a server, it may take 5 or 10+ minutes to
begin to populate, so please be patient!

In the event that you can't get into any games, and/or don't have
any friends, we have a way of solving some of your problems. We're
creating a handful of dedicated servers that you can join and play
on to populate your Friend List. The servers are being hosted by
the following PSN IDs:

FPTitan1
FPTitan2
FPTitan3
FPTitan4
ServeU

Add these names to your friends list, and join their games.

A fix for this seems to be very straightforward (they usually are),
and we hope to have a new build out to all of you next week. Thanks
for your patience, and sorry for the frustration.

Extra Lagginess:

Some players have been experiencing unusual lag. As you all know, some
lag is unavoidable and can vary based on a huge number of factors.
However, extra badness is potentially being caused by players hosting
games with more than the recommended number of players. We are working
on a way to fix this, and also have some suggestions for minimizing
the problem in the short term.

When creating a room under "Control Freaks," please make sure that
you are not creating a room with a RED number of players. This means
you are going above your recommended bandwidth and will likely cause
a diminished game experience for all players involved. If your
connection limits you to hosting a two-player game, you might have
more fun joining a game with more real human players instead.

Anyway...

We really appreciate the thoughtful feedback and we're glad you're
enjoying the game. We're also happy to learn that many players are
effectively using voice chat to coordinate and that, as a result,
deeper tactics and strategies are being developed and used.

Please post any issues, comments, feedback, balancing ideas, loving
praise and stinging insults to the official PlayStation(R) Beta
Feedback Forum:

http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xlJnqvWEccHTlJEHWccPnqqcqPH

This is the main area where we will be responding to feedback, and
implementing any significant balance changes for a new and improved build.

Thanks very much for your support. See you online soon!

The Fat Princess Dev Team "

Wow. Awesome info Chizel. I had no idea they set something like that up. I never received the email. Ill add one of those names to get a game going during the week.

Thanks dude

[quote name='smiggity']Wow. Awesome info Chizel. I had no idea they set something like that up. I never received the email. Ill add one of those names to get a game going during the week.

Thanks dude[/quote]

FWIW I was one of the "winners" of the eat cake and send in a picture contest to win a beta code. Perhaps that message just went out to them.

I haven't been prompted with an update for the game yet. I got into a game this morning, and once again I'll complain about the unclear hit detection. I was in the enemy's base who had the princess on his shoulders and I was wailing on him, but the game would not register the final hit which allowed him to place the princess on the throne and immediately take me down in 1 hit (I was really low on health) so they won.

No. The worker is about 3 times stronger now, though. Kills everything in 3 slashes. He's as strong as the Warrior now. Well, if you could hit him. They screwed up the lock-on and hit detection even moreso with this build.

You stand next to a rock and face it, press R1, you lock onto an enemy on the other side of the screen :S

Ah screw that, they changed the options menu from 'twiddly knobs' to 'help & other stuff'

edit- ranks are a lot higher now. I was King and now I'm down to Sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']man, i want in :([/quote]

[quote name='KingBroly']Not in its current state you don't.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='MSUHitman']Anyone know where to get a beta code for this now? [/QUOTE]

did you ever get your answer on how to join at this late stage?

[quote name='MSUHitman']Is this going to be another Socom debacle?[/quote]

Well, Socom's problem was technical. There's not really a problem of connecting to an online game in Fat Princess (on Tuesdays & Thursdays mind you).

It seems to be a pretty solid game right now from a tech standpoint, I just haven't found myself having a lot of fun so far. Could be the limited match styles and having only one map in the beta.

Or perhaps the hype wagon was too much to live up to. Since I'm in a share group, I'll definitely get it, just not sure how much I'll actually play.

Certainly overhyped. Still fun but nowhere near peoples level of expectations, which have considerably died down now.

Connecting to an online game is still a struggle. Half the time it will boot you back to main menu, half the time it will put you in a game with 3 people. This game NEEDS a server list and Split Screen especially. Id say its an 8 out of 10.

[quote name='enufs8d']did you ever get your answer on how to join at this late stage?[/QUOTE]

No I didn't and the feedback I've heard from here has killed my interest for this game. I would still like a code to try it out, but was at the beginning of Warhawk and SOCOM, and I'll be dammed if I buy one of these PS3 online only games at launch again. If I can't get into the beta, I will wait for feedback before I invest any money in this.

From what I've gathered, there are not that many people in the beta. 2,000 people at most across North America and Europe. Also, there are only 5 servers on 2 days a week to work with. So...that's a problem right there. A server list would help tremendously. Split screen...for local play, yeah, online...maybe not. I also wonder why offline I can't play as the Blue team.

Right now though, the game has a lot of nagging issues that have become big problems that have nothing to do with online play. I'm mainly talking about the hit detection issues, which have increased tremendously with this new build, but other things as well. As of now, I see the game coming out no earlier than late July.

Wow, the beta is still active. Haven't loaded it up since the first week. The hit detection was an issue for me as well, even offline against bots, lag just amplifies it to unbearable lengths.

These comments are very disappointing. I really hope these issues are being worked on as I was looking forward to this game being released.

There has to be more than 2000 people in USA alone. Didnt USA Today give out 1500 on their own? Then the PS Blog gave out like 500

@ Zyzomys
These comments are very disappointing. I really hope these issues are being worked on as I was looking forward to this game being released.
Ahem. Gameplay felt needlessly complicated to Team Fortress 2's class system and just too balanced where I can easily see a match taking an hour once both teams have upgraded all 5 classes. They should make it so you can respawn at the control points dotted in the battlefield to keep the momentum going. No one wants to gather resource (wood and metal - cake is fine since the payoff for feeding the Princess gives an instant feedback reward). The Priest's healing link needs to be more Team Fortress 2-like by hooking up to the closest teammate when you hold down a button. There should be a music chime for every health point lost. It needs a button to go into that "sit down and eat cake" animation to regain health, not idoling for 10 vulnerable seconds to make the guy sit since there's no place to take a breather from the action. Character design is as cute/ugly as the Smurfs - beauty in the eye of the beholder.

That ends the rant from someone who also looked forward to Fat Princess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I loved the beta. Given the game still needs some work but I thought it was a lot of fun.

bread's done
Back