Fatlus reveals "Catherine" for PS3 and 360: STARRING THE GUY FROM P3P

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
image354.png

Some people who have played Persona 3 Portable may have been wondering who the heck the new, unnamed guy they added at the bar was. He had his own portrait and his robust dialogue made people think he's the protagonist of Persona 5. Not quite, but he is the star of Fatlus's new action/adventure Catherine!

cathrine.png

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/17/introducing-catherine-the-first-hd-game-from-the-persona-team/
More pics/art:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/Andrew1089/CatherinePage2.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/Andrew1089/Catherinespread.jpg

More info:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/18/flying_get/

Catherine is the first HD game from Atlus. It's being made with key members of the Persona staff. Included in the staff list are Katsura Hashino as producer and director, Shigenori Soejima as character designer, and Shouji Meguro as sound composer.

While the game's name is Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera). Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) is a stylish 22-year-old girl who apparently has the charms of a young girl.

The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.

The nightmares serve as an action component for the game. Set in a world with an unending stairway, Vincent has to make it to the top of the stairs, or he will not be able to awaken.

Based off Game Jouhou's summary, it's a bit unclear how the game will progress. However, it does seem that even during the nightmare action parts, you'll end up working through the story and encountering events.

During a staff interview, Hashino said that as their first HD game, rather than trying out a true RPG, the team was excited about trying out something new. It looks like Catherine will be just that, as Hashino said it will be more adult oriented than past titles from the team. It's not all style, though. Hashino promised a deep play experience with plenty of gameplay for players to sink their teeth into.

Soejima said that there are some shockingly adult scenes in the game. When you play these scenes, they'll be even more stimulating, although in a difference sense.

Meguro confirmed the adult leanings of the title, saying that the keywords for the game's music are "classic," "adult oriented" and "erotic." He also promised 5.1ch sound.

Meguro also made a comment that has Persona fans excited. He said that due to Catherine, he believes for the time being the staff won't be asked about their next title. However, at some point next year, perhaps he'll be able to respond "Regarding the RPG, Hashino and I are..."

A hint at Persona 5?

This game looks ridiculously perverted. MUST HAVE

a stylish 22-year-old girl who apparently has the charms of a young girl

[quote name='Dead of Knight']

This game looks ridiculously perverted. MUST HAVE[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt. Like 22 isn't young enough - she has to have the charms of a young girl :rofl:

Sounds, uh, interesting - will have to keep an eye on it though I'm not sure when, if ever, I'd be able to play this ;).

This just became a must have, and I've never even played an Atlus game before. I do own Persona 3 FES tho, just have been on a long RPG break.

[quote name='Jodou']OK, WTF is going on here?

VayOraqO1wu9D5c6Qmk25593564aqxQr.jpg

[/QUOTE]

YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND IT BECAUSE IT IS TOO DEEP FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND

The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.

I think "vegetarian" is a slang term in Japan for guys who choose not to date/fuck/marry/etc.

[quote name='ninja dog']I think "vegetarian" is a slang term in Japan for guys who choose not to date/fuck/marry/etc.[/QUOTE]
No, it's just for guys who like to toss salads.

[quote name='ninja dog']
I think "vegetarian" is a slang term in Japan for guys who choose not to date/fuck/marry/etc.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jodou']No, it's just for guys who like to toss salads.[/QUOTE]

I have one word to say to the Japanese in response: Sushi! You eat fucking raw freaky-assed looking seafood you freaks! (Sorry, just being defensive as a vegetarian who does the former but NOT the latter ;))

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the best thing I can place a bet on this is that catherine is a succubi[/QUOTE]I'll take u on that bet.

$100. let's do it.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']So CAG is now GAF Lite?[/QUOTE]
God I hope not. I always thought people who go to CAG actually buy their games, as opposed to the people who go to GAF and have their parents/guardians buy their games.

But enough of the forum bashing. I think this game looks very interesting, even though it's probably a game they're using to test various engines for persona 5.

[quote name='Paco']Who's going to buy the 360 version? That's like giving Call of Duty to Japan.[/QUOTE]
Well I think it's a pretty good bet that they're going to bring this to an international audience where 360s are more commonplace, plus they can get some decent sales out of the 360 version in japan.

[quote name='Paco']Who's going to buy the 360 version? That's like giving Call of Duty to Japan.[/QUOTE]

Actually MW2 didnt do too bad in Japan for a Western game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']wat.[/QUOTE]
there are people in japan who have a 360. they can still make money off of it.

[quote name='thwak']there are people in japan who have a 360. they can still make money off of it.[/QUOTE]

Not enough obviously or Final Fantasy creator The Guch wouldn't be in such straights getting Cry on out.

Is it coming out on the 360? I thought the main SMT games were all Sony exclusive. (The DS games are good I've heard, but not really "main" games.)

Either way, it looks interesting...I hope Atlus USA does a good job of localizing it, or at least the JPN version includes english subs and menus.(one can dream...)

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Is it coming out on the 360? I thought the main SMT games were all Sony exclusive. (The DS games are good I've heard, but not really "main" games.)

Either way, it looks interesting...I hope Atlus USA does a good job of localizing it, or at least the JPN version includes english subs and menus.(one can dream...)[/QUOTE]

um the SMT series started on Nintendo

I imagine Atlus realized that they are going to pump too much money into this to keep it as an exclusive. MS won't pay Atlus enough to subsidize the costs, and I doubt sales solely on the PS3 will make this profitable.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ'].I hope Atlus USA does a good job of localizing it, or at least the JPN version includes english subs and menus.(one can dream...)[/QUOTE]

I personally thought the localization for P3 and P4 were both amazingly well done, both in terms of translation and most of the voice work. So get your hopes up :)

[quote name='Backlash']I personally thought the localization for P3 and P4 were both amazingly well done, both in terms of translation and most of the voice work. So get your hopes up :)[/QUOTE]

Ya, I really liked them. I liked Yukari's voice even though people said it sucked. Only one I hated was that blue/green(I don't remember) haired girls voice.

Also to the guy that said SMT started on the SNES, I did not know that, thanks for the info. Really didn't start following the SMT series 'till the Ps2 era. Though I knew Persona 1 was on the Ps1.

For a little SMT history lesson, because I have nothing better to do, the series was originally based on a trilogy of popular Japanese novels called "Digital Devil Story." The first game called "Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei" came out for the Famicom, MSX and PC. At the time the series was under the Namcot (Namco/Bandai) label. The series switched to Atlus when it jumped to the Super Famicom. Because the games were so popular Atlus decided to remake the first two games on the SFC.

Even though those were the first in the series the actual first game to have the name "Shin Megami Tensei" came out for the SFC. It was later ported and remade for several other systems including the PC Engine, Sega CD, PS1 and GBA. Kinda crazy these first games have never made it over here in the states officially.

Cathrine wouldn't be the first time a SMT game is released on the Xbox. Don't forget SMT NINE came out as one of the few Japanese exclusive Xbox games. Unfortunately the game is a piece of crap. I bought a copy for $1 while on a trip to Japan. The series has also branched out to the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Gameboy, Game Gear and of all things the Virtual Boy. It's easy to think think SMT is a Sony exclusive because that's what we in the states have been exposed to.

[quote name='thwak']there are people in japan who have a 360. they can still make money off of it.[/QUOTE]

2 people counts as "people," sure.

I just played through Persona 3 Portable and it honestly has one of the best dubs I've ever played. Most dubs suck ass but they actually got it right with Persona 3. Though, for this game, I think it just screams Japanese voice acting. If they do do a dub-only, I'd count on Fatlus to be one of very few companies competent enough to pull it off.

Umm, I thought the Japanese 360 was the console of choice for otaku who like those creepy ass AMV (?) games and idolmaster. While this game will probably have a little more class (but the same shitty anime writing that's about as subtle as a steaming 3 ton pile of dog shit in your bathtub), Atlus games have some cross-over with that crowd.

Not sure why it's doom and gloom for the 360 version in that case.

Hmm, an openly adult, perverted Atlus game that's related to Persona...DO WANT.

Damn, if I only had a console to play this on. I might have to really crack open my wallet for this.

bread's done
Back