Favorite Comedians?

Greetard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I've been looking for some new stand-up, and figured someone one here might have the same taste in comedy as I do. My favorite acts are:

Aries Spears
Bill Cosby
Brian Regan
D.L. Hughley
Daniel Tosh
Dave Attell
Demetri Martin
Dov Davidoff
Frank Caliendo
George Carlin
Greg Giraldo
Flight of the Conchords
Jeff Dunham
Jim Gaffigan
Kevin James
Lewis Black
Mike Birbiglia
Mitch Fatel
Mitch Hedberg
Nick Swardson
Patton Oswalt
Robin Williams
Ron White
Steve Martin
Steven Wright
Todd Barry

I've been thinking of picking up some Jon Stewart, Gilbert Gottfried, Katt Williams, Jimmy Carr, and Richard Pryor CDs as well. Any suggestions?

1.) Andy Kaufman
2.) Richard Pryor

After that, I dunno.

[quote name='Brak']
2.) Richard Pryor

After that, I dunno.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been thinking about that for a while. Kaufman, on the other hand, seems more like a visual comic. Updated the OP.

That Richard Pryor/Chevy Chase sketch from SNL is one of my favorite sketches from that show. Chevy looked like he didn't care and Pryor seemed like he really was about to kill Chevy.:lol:

I don't know if he has anything else beyond the one special I have recorded to VHS, but Dana Carvey can be really great at times.

I've never seen Garry Shandling perform, but he's usually hilarious on Bill Maher, so he might be worth looking into. Of course, some comedians are better at reactionary/discussion sorts of things rather than straight stand up.

You've got all the people I would have suggested (Black, FOTC, Martin, Hedberg).

[quote name='Moxio']Peters[/QUOTE]

Russell?

I've checked it out, and Shandling, Carvey, and O'Neal don't have any CDs. And I loathe Bob Saget/Bill Burr.

(NSFW language)
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXLbuR9GS0A&feature=related[/MEDIA]

This whole set used to be up somewhere but I can't find it. I'm sure you can find more if you like it.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']

This whole set used to be up somewhere but I can't find it. I'm sure you can find more if you like it.[/QUOTE]

I love Jimmy Carr, but I don't believe he has any CDs out either. I've been trying to find an audio rip of his "Jimmy Carr: Stand-Up" DVD.

Jimmy Carr: "When you eat spicy foods, you damage your taste. When I was in Mexico, I listened to a lot of Micheal Bolton."

He has a much slower paced style, and some bits require some setup, but check out Bob Newhart's old stand up albums.

Chris Titus has released a couple stand up albums which are great as well.

I've always enjoyed Kathleen Madigan as well.

John Heffron is another one I've enjoyed, he's somewhat in the vein of Brian Regan.

Of the OP's list, the only ones I personally really enjoy and would actively try to listen to are

Bill Cosby
Brian Regan
D.L. Hughley
Jeff Dunham
Jim Gaffigan
Mike Birbiglia
Mitch Hedberg

As much as I like Steve Martin's movies (especially the wilder and crazier ones) the standup I've heard of him, I haven't really enjoyed that much. It struck me as more 'experimental performance' and not 'comedy'.
There are certainly more I've caught on the XM comedy channels and enjoyed, but none of their names come to mind at present.

I've seen Jamie Foxx and Lewis Black perform live before and both were really funny... But my favorite stand up act of all time has to be:
200px-Jl-freak-poster.jpg

Eddie Izzard
Joe Rogan
Jim Gaffigan
Lisa Lampanelli
Mike Birbiglia
Marc Maron

Do the Kids in the Hall count?

[quote name='Strell']I don't know if he has anything else beyond the one special I have recorded to VHS, but Dana Carvey can be really great at times.
[/quote]

This has always been my favorite Dana Carvey bit:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2Dpb1Sdik[/media]

[quote name='JimmieMac']I sing the "choppin' broccoli" song at least once a week, when ever I see somebody choppin' broccoli.[/quote]

Choppin' brock-a-LIE-HIGH!

Well, most of the best ones were listed, so I'll just list the ones I liked, but don't necessarily "love". Just to throw it out there my favorite comedians are George Carlin (I really want to see him live) and Mitch Hedberg (sucks that he died).

Kyle Cease
Andrew Dice Clay
Dave Chappelle
Dane Cook (sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's just...)
Billy Crystal
Rodney Dangerfield
Chris Rock
Zach Galifianakis (this is one I love that is not on the list)
Maria Bamford (probably my favorite female comedian)
Sarah Silverman
The whole Comedians of Comedy crew for that matter

Lewis Black
Jim Gaffigan
Zach Galifianakis
Patton Oswalt
George Carlin
David Cross (I'm surprised no one has said him)

Bill Hicks
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHey5g56CIs[/media]
Lenny Bruce
Doug Stanhope
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n34eeXWjUQ[/media]

Now, to think of other names and not berate people for having miserable taste and liking Demetri Martin.

More!

Ricky Gervais
Dave Attell
Bill Hicks
Bill Maher
Doug Stanhope
Dennis Miller (before suddenly deciding he was a Republican)

Gary Gulman's stuff also cracks me up.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjG1Oqm95xg[/media]
[quote name='Doc Bacca']David Cross (I'm surprised no one has said him)[/quote]

I just bought his Shut Up You fucking Baby CD a week or two ago, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'll have to pop that in.

Dennis Miller (before suddenly deciding he was a Republican)

Yeah, he used to be so great, such an equal opportunity offender. Still my favorite "Weekend Update" host. I know he attributes the change to 9/11, but I have to wonder who got to him. Someone of his intelligence just shouldn't have such a drastic and seemingly permanent reaction. That's for the Toby Keith crowd.

Otherwise, favorite comedians are really tough to pin down, as the best all seem to 'lame out' at some point, or what made them great for two or three years just gets painfully old. Or they die. I could list some active names right now, but they all cancel each other out, leaving only Beetlejuice standing...below the crossfire. My favorite SNL or skit comedy person in the last three years is Bill Hader, no question.

I completely forgot about Zach Galifianakis and Lenny Bruce. I love the Amazing Jonathan as well, but, again, that's more of a visual act.

Daniel Tosh, Lewis Black, some random British guys whose names I forgot, Dennis Miller before he began to suck the balls of the Republican party, Justin McElroy...

No one is better than Richard Pryor. That being said, I like Jerry Seinfeld, Brian Regan, Martin Lawrence, Patton Oswalt, Dane Cook, Bill Engvall and Dave Chappelle.

Deja vu...

Tom Green was my hero in high school, Dimitri Martin is funny, otherwise I don't really watch comedians.

Something odd about a person whose job it is to be funny, it ruins the humor for me in many cases.

I thought I was a special unique snowflake. I was all stoked when the first page went by without a mention of Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks, or Lenny Bruce. Screw you guys for getting here first.

I think everything he's done before or since was utter shit, but Denis Leary's No Cure for Cancer is friggin funny. I got busted for having that when I was a kid and made a deal with my mom: If she could go 10 mins without laughing, I would throw it away immediately. I got to keep it.

chris rock's stand-ups are a thing of legend. dave chappelle's "killin' em softly" was a favorite of my group of friends for a while as well (pre-chappelle's show).

I was ready to declare this whole thread FAIL if no one mentioned Bill Hicks.

EDIT: You know, Speedracer, many consider Dennis Leary to have ripped off Hicks' act. In fact, a joke at the time was "Why is Leary famous and Hicks not-so-much-so? Because 'There is no cure for cancer.'" (Hicks died of cancer.)

I can't think of a current act these days that compares with any of the "greats." Lewis Black is pretty close. Mitch was awesome and dead way before his time.

Honestly, I also love Bill Cosby's stuff from the 60's.

Brian Regan
Lewis Black
Jimmy Carr

for music...

Richard Cheese FTW! lol

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0wmYJ3yj0c[/media]

Wow, this far in and no mention of Ellen DeGeneres? I know she's "mainstream" and all, but she's mainstream for a reason -- she's fucking funny.

And if you won't go there, then try Margaret Cho.

Figured we were getting a little heavy on the man-comics and thought I'd submit the only two ladies I can stand.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Uhh... DeGeneres? Rly...

You know how I know ur gay?[/QUOTE]

You proffer up Richard Cheese and then have the gall to criticize someone else's taste?

bread's done
Back