Favorite DS RPG?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']This is the perfect thread for me since I was looking for some RPGs. I will go with Super Robot Taisen OG for sure.[/QUOTE]

Good choice. Really linear, but the combat adds a lot more than other turn-based RPGs. It's like Squall's gunblade in FF8, only it happens every attack, and attacks can be cancelled, and there's assists like Marvel vs Capcom style =P

I won't exactly compare Super Robot Taisen OG to Final Fantasy 8, considering timing is small aspect for that game. You have more timing in Mario Rpg, Paper Mario, Legend of Dragoon or Magical Starsign. Some might say it's closer to other turn based action rpg like Valkyrie Profile(ps1,psp) or Eternal Sonata turn-based action RPG. It feel more like a borderline fighting game with a RPG formula.

There's a heavy emphasis on timing so you can juggle your opponent and implement varies combos. You can rotate your party members to increase the combo length. Of course, long combos = high damage. Or you can sacrifice a few combos by canceling your attacks. If you time it properly, it will result in an increase to the special meter for special attacks. To cancel, you have to proper time your button press or look for visual cues. Most of cancels varies with each move or character. Also, Super RoboT Taisen OG is bit more streamline or simply compared to Cross Edge. If I recall, you can select up to 5 combo attacks. The combos are really easy to set up. Just select which combo you want first to last.

I think the problem with this game is there are too many bosses in this game(About 3 boss per dungeon, similar to Wild Arms 5) and some of boss battles are really long. They can be up to 10-20 minutes. It's annoying that some special animation attacks can not be skipped like Cross Edge.

[quote name='fatbeer']I won't exactly compare Super Robot Taisen OG to Final Fantasy 8, considering timing is small aspect for that game. You have more timing in Mario Rpg, Paper Mario, Legend of Dragoon or Magical Starsign. Some might say it's closer to other turn based action rpg like Valkyrie Profile(ps1,psp) or Eternal Sonata turn-based action RPG. It feel more like a borderline fighting game with a RPG formula.

I think the problem with this game is there are too many bosses in this game(About 3 boss per dungeon, similar to Wild Arms 5) and some of boss battles are really long. They can be up to 10-20 minutes. It's annoying that some special animation attacks can not be skipped like Cross Edge.[/QUOTE]

I didn't compare them to say they're similar, just that you use real-time inputs in fights.

Also, yea, the boss fights can last a long time, and 1~2 of them lasted about 30 min for me. But to be honest, I didn't get that tired of watching the animation even after beating the game.

I hope no one minds me bumping this thread.

My favourite RPGs on the DS are:

The World Ends With You
Pokemon Platinum
Dragon Quest Chapters of the Chosen
Dragon Quest Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV

I don't really have one, because I don't think any of them are better than anything you can play on the PSP.

DQV I like, but can't get behind it as much as IV.
Devil Survivor is good, but I got stuck on a mission where you have to protect people AND keep enemies from getting to a certain place.

I've never played Super Robot Taisen
Final Fantasy IV is just too hard in places.

I'd have to say Nostalgia or Phantasy Star 0.

I think this thread is really interesting, specifically how somewhere around 50% of the favorite RPGs are remakes.

I have to agree on a lot of these; Pokemon, FFIII, FFIV. I haven't gotten to DQIV yet. I have a huge backlog of RPGs on this, and other systems.

Easily Tales of Hearts. It's not that the other DS games aren't really good, it's just that the gameplay of Hearts is incredible.

Too bad it's never coming to the US.

golden sun 3 ;)

Eh..dont really have favorite rpg for the ds. Devil survivor and The world ends with you were pretty good though. I'm a really huge fan of those awesome text based games - prof layten, ace attorney, hotel dusk, time hollow.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back