Favorite old school game

pop311

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Remember the good ol' days where video games were in arcade. Well, I am running another poll-ish type thread. The question this time is... what was/is your favorite old school arcade game. (ie pac-man, dig dug, galaga etc)

I would have to say my favorite was galaga by far

Wow arcades....how I used to love them. There are so many great games that come to mind....Donkey Kong, Star Wars, Dragon's Lair, Jungle Hunt, Vs. Baseball, Punch-Out. Of course the newer generation stuff like SFII and MK as well.

A couple of school friends and I used to play Golden Axe, Captain Commando and Knights of the Round in the arcades many years ago. It was a lot of fun for cheap as I remember. :D

[quote name='Chris in Cali']All of them. Here's one that's not too popular though... Bump & Jump for NES, check it out.[/QUOTE]

I remember renting Bump & Jump when I was like 8 years old and loving the game. I think I bugged my Mom to buy it for me. Its a shame, but I dont thing I've played it since. Maybe on the Revolution.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']A couple of school friends and I used to play Golden Axe, Captain Commando and Knights of the Round in the arcades many years ago. It was a lot of fun for cheap as I remember. :D[/QUOTE]
Golden Axe! Good times...

There was a fun Jurassic Park game at the arcades that I always used to play. Like a guncon game, only your in one of the jeeps from the movie and it shakes around as you play.

The 4 player Simpsons game back in the day was awesome too. Anyone know if it ever ported to a system?

I really liked that old Sega Arcade game, Gain Ground. My all-time favorites are X-men vs. Street Fighter and the original Ninja Turtles arcade game.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']That 4 player X-Men game was the shit back in the day, Ninja Turtles too.

No the simpsons game wasnt released for any consoles[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the X-Men game was great. Adamantium Laser Blade!

any game on snes or nes that included battletoads or double dragon.
most memorable would be battletoads vs. double dragon. greatest crossover ever.

Afterburner for the Sega Master System. The arcade version was wicked hot, too. I got so sick from the motions of the cockpit, though. :lol:

You can imagine how excited I was to find Afterburner was included in Shenmue II.

I remember playing a lot of Golden Axe back in the day. Other than that, my favorite arcade games were Aero Fighters 2, Area 51, the Mortal Kombat games, Killer Instinct, NBA Jam...

That's all I can thnk of right now.

Xmen arcade game (I played the 2-screen 6 player version at an arcade as a kid - awesome).

Simpsons arcade game was fun too .

Personal teenage favorite: D&D Tower of Doom. :D :D

Older-school than that? Gauntlet or Galaga, although I'm not that great at either. And Golden Axe.

Mat Mania (oldschool wrestling game from Taito, anyone remember it?) and Gyruss. I liked Galaga pretty well also. I didn't like Ms. Pac Man because I sucked at it, I still do some 19 years later. :p

[quote name='Gator']Two words: Bionic Commando.[/QUOTE]

While I almost agree, I have to say it comes in a close 2nd after Double Dragon.

Lots of favorite "classics" that pretty much everyone knows. But, one many fewer people know about, or even got to play, was Warrior. I got to play this vector graphic grandfather of the fighting genre with my father once while we were waiting for a movie to start.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=W&game_id=10408

Even better than Warrior, for old school fun, was the original vector graphic Star Wars game. That game was SO much fun, especially the sit down version with the speakers by your head.

Not to get on a total vector graphics tangent, but Battlezone was fun too. :}~~~

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']That 4 player X-Men game was the shit back in the day, Ninja Turtles too.

No the simpsons game wasnt released for any consoles[/QUOTE]

I have to second the X-men game. Although, if you got it on a good machine, it would be 6 player which was freaking awesome. I played it about 2 years back at a putt-putt place. It was fantastic because the staff had obviously changed the credit rules to play it after hours, so 1 token gave you 99 continues. We played it 1.5 times through and then had to leave for dinner, so we let some kids take over for us. That game is still probably going.

I was practically raised in the arcades, plus I was at a peek age to experience them (born in '75). A bowling alley was a block away from my house when growing up (all I had to do was skip through a neighbor's yard behind my alley and I was practically in the bowling alley parking lot). I loved everything about arcades back then...even the second hand smoke.

I have loads of favorites, but the two that stick out the most is:

Spy Hunter

and

Double Dragon

Other favorites:

OutRun

Karate Champ

Paperboy

Commando

Q-Bert

Star Wars

Pac-Man

Elevator Action

Ms Pac-Man

Super Pac-Man

Operation Wolf

Frogger

Centipede

Donkey Kong

NBA Jam

Popeye

Tron

Galaga

Zaxxon

RBI Baseball

Tecmo Bowl

WWF Superstars

WWF Wrestlefest

Rampage

BurgerTime

Dig Dug

Jungle Hunt

SF Rush

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Ms. Pac-Man was my favorite but Galaga isn't far behind.[/QUOTE]

You must be in heaven with the 25th anniversary rerelease....

mspacmangalaga-commercial.jpg

mspacmangalaga-cocktail.jpg

[quote name='javeryh']You must be in heaven with the 25th anniversary rerelease....

mspacmangalaga-commercial.jpg

mspacmangalaga-cocktail.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Sweet!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I had no idea they were re-releasing the arcade machines for the anniversary! I wonder how much those badboys cost?

Those 25th anniversary Namco machines have been out for quite some time - I believe they retail for about 3k.

Personal arcade faves....

Data East's Heavy Barrel

Capcom's Sidearms

Capcom's Forgotten Worlds

Bally Midway's Wizard of Wor

Cinematronic's Armor Attack

Sega's Power Drift

and the greatest panic shooter of all time......

William's Robotron 2084 !!!

[quote name='Ecofreak']Afterburner for the Sega Master System. The arcade version was wicked hot, too. I got so sick from the motions of the cockpit, though. :lol:

You can imagine how excited I was to find Afterburner was included in Shenmue II.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I love how Shenmue has arcades with classic games in it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Sweet!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I had no idea they were re-releasing the arcade machines for the anniversary! I wonder how much those badboys cost?[/QUOTE]

They are about $3,000 each give or take. You could build your own for 1/3 of that or less. I am going to build an Pac-man style upright when I'm done with the cocktail machine I'm working on. Here's my progress so far...

Why do those arcade machines cost so fucking much?

If they weren't so much, I would get either 1) galaga/ pac-mac 2) X-men 3) The simpsons

[quote name='pop311']Why do those arcade machines cost so fucking much?

If they weren't so much, I would get either 1) galaga/ pac-mac 2) X-men 3) The simpsons[/QUOTE]

X-men and The Simpsons are no longer being produced so they would have to be bought second hand and would probably require a lot of work to get up and running. Why don't you just build one yourself? You could do it for a few hundred dollars and it could play thousands of old arcade games including the 4 games you mentioned. Plus it is a lot of fun to build!

A MAME box is nice, but then again...originals of anything have that certain charm / nostalgia that you quite simply can't get on a multicade setup. Actually, many fun games in their original cabs can be had for $300-$400 (in good condition no less!)...sadly, many of the "classics" bring considerably more. Lest we forget, specialized hardware is also a draw. Who really wants to play Tempest with a joystick? I personally was drawn to some of my favorite games BECAUSE of their unique interfaces. That being said...you could also consider a cheaper 80's game that is JAMMA standard. Basically any PCB board that is JAMMA can be swapped in / out of these cabs. One thing more than any other though that you should consider is space. Arcade cabs take up a lot of it. Get a couple of them together, and you'll find yourself looking for a place to put your couch!

Well, besides all the great titles that have already been mentioned, I always enjoyed Flicky and Peter Packrat, though it seems I'm the only one who remembers them most of the time.

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Sega's Flicky was a thing of wonder :D

I used to love Toki as well - great underrated platformer game!

[quote name='javeryh']They are about $3,000 each give or take. You could build your own for 1/3 of that or less. I am going to build an Pac-man style upright when I'm done with the cocktail machine I'm working on. Here's my progress so far...

[/QUOTE]
Have you had any experience like this before? Carpentry-style stuff?

bread's done
Back