Favorite Uncommonly Used Words?

Panama Red

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
Me and my friends have been off and on the past few days been coming up with our favorite words that we almost never use in the day-to-day. So it got me wondering what are some of you guys favorite words that you never use?

Some examples:

augur
brackish
chilblains
didactic
extemporaneous
flummox
gloam
halcyon
indefatigable
lackadaisical
modicum
obfuscate
perfunctory
reticent
slake
taciturn

I like it when the law just makes up words like justicibility or hereinafter. There are lots of other ones that I cant think of right now. I just know about them because spellcheck in new versions of microsoft word always highlight them as misspelled.

catsby.jpg

HAM!

INSUBSTANTIAL!

OMINOUS!

Me no good vocabulary have but whenever I hear someone say "irregardless" I want to punch them in the throat. It's not a fucking word!!!

Chargrin. Don't know why it makes me laugh, but it does.

Oh and traumacide! I'll never forget when a buddy explained that his patient told him she had survived a "serious traumacide".

[quote name='javeryh']Me no good vocabulary have but whenever I hear someone say "irregardless" I want to punch them in the throat. It's not a fucking word!!![/quote]
"Irregardless, she's a twat."

"Irregardless isn't even a word."

"Yes it is, it means without lack of regard."

[quote name='javeryh']Me no good vocabulary have but whenever I hear someone say "irregardless" I want to punch them in the throat. It's not a fucking word!!![/QUOTE]

Actually, it is. It still hasn't gotten over the "it's a redundant way assholes say 'regardless'" stigma, but it is a word.

Allow me to add "destrucity" to the list.
article2624.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']Actually, it is. It still hasn't gotten over the "it's a redundant way assholes say 'regardless'" stigma, but it is a word.

Allow me to add "destrucity" to the list.
article2624.jpg
[/quote]

Well, to be pedantic about it, wouldn't it be just a redundant way of saying 'regard'? If you break it down in parts, the 'ir-' prefix means 'not' and the '-less' suffix mean 'lacking' so it would be pretty much a translation of "not lacking regard" which, since they're double negatives, cancel each other out and you're left with "to regard".

bread's done
Back