FDA Retention Bonuses are for Managers, not Scientists/Inspectors/Doctors

RBM

CAGiversary!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/01/AR2007080102600.html

The bonuses were paid during a rough patch at the FDA, encompassing a shortage of flu vaccine and embarrassing recalls of the pain-relieving drug Vioxx and malfunctioning heart defibrillators. Throughout, the agency repeatedly insisted that it lacked the resources to conduct adequate food and drug inspections.

The payments, which have attracted bipartisan criticism from lawmakers, offer an unusually detailed look at how the administration has implemented a cash bonus program that Congress expanded in 2004 to attract and retain talented federal employees.

Lawmakers say that at the FDA, many of the bonuses went to the highest-paid officials rather than the scientists, inspectors and doctors most at risk of jumping to the private sector.

Glavin, an English major who rose through the ranks of the Agriculture Department's Food Safety and Inspection Service before joining the FDA in 2003 as assistant commissioner for counterterrorism policy, collected $44,614 in bonuses in 2006 alone, according to the records.

In contrast, the FDA investigator who won the agency's top national award last year received a much smaller bonus. "I was nominated for a cash award for $2,500, but after taxes I got just $1,400," said Rebecca Parrilla, a chemical engineer who said she has worked at the FDA for more than eight years and was unaware how much her bosses in Washington were collecting in bonuses.

The commissioner's office -- which mostly includes policy officials and not practicing scientists -- nearly doubled the amount of its retention bonuses, from about $415,000 in 2002 to nearly $800,000 last year, the data also show.

GR2007080200113.gif

"FDA officials have raided the U.S. Treasury of $10 million a year, not to hire more inspectors or better compensate the field personnel working to protect us from botulism and E. coli, but to award each other $50,000 bonuses," Dingell (D-Mich.) said. "Given their recent performance, I doubt the taxpayers would agree that FDA management officials deserve an extra dime, much less tens of thousands of dollars."

Honestly, what can you expect. Whenever taxpayer dollars are strictly accounted for, there's a mountain of paperwork & red tape to buy anything (in a federal institution.) But, without such strict accounting, manager-level officials pull these monkeyshines and happily award one another the lion's share of bonuses (and stand ready to blame insufficient funding, when the next public health crisis comes along.)

The "brain drain" from federal instutions to the private sector is a very real (and unfortunate) ongoing trend...but this is such a tired old mistake, throwing money at a problem without sufficient enforcement/regulation.

...and who says that government institutions aren't run like American big business?

;)

It's an interesting issue, and it remains to be seen just how this will impact the scientists and inspectors. Surely some born-at-the-foot-of-Adam-Smith nitwit would argue "well, if the bonuses and pay are lousy, go get a new job!"

It's very unsurprising, unfortunately, to see this sort of financial mutual back-patting going on in politics in this day and age. The article alludes some responsibility to the Bush administration. What role do they play in selecting these officials?

If memory serves, the President appoints the head of the FDA, Health & Human Services, and the NIH. Yes, that's right, Bush appointed Eschenbach Commissioner of the FDA in 2005.

While the budget for bonuses, awards, etc. (they cite more than half a dozen different categories) increased from $2.7 million in 2003 to $8.3 million in 2006 under the Bush administration, there appears to have been little or no foresight in regulating how those funds were distributed.

Good intentions, paired with a pronounced lack of foresight...this combination seems to be a recurring theme with Bush's administration.

The article from 8/3/07 about green beans possibly contaminated with botulism toxin (funny that Dingell cited that particular example in his earlier quote) seems a bit too vague/preliminary to say much...I can't tell if Lakeside Foods detected the lapse in processing the beans themselves and notified the FDA of the basis for its voluntary recall...or if an FDA inspector caught it & recommended a recall. I guess details thus far do not speak ill or favorably of FDA diligence (although I do appreciate the heads up: no green beans in my cupboard. I just checked.) :)

[quote name='mykevermin']...and who says that government institutions aren't run like American big business?

;)
[/quote]

That's a good point, but remember that businesses are more efficient at limiting the size of management teams. The govt ratio of managers/supervisors to workers is simply astounding.

[quote name='RBM']
Good intentions, paired with a pronounced lack of foresight...this combination seems to be a recurring theme with Bush's administration.[/quote]

Hehe, yeah. The 'moral majority', what a joke. I mean, how silly does a blow job in the oval office look now compared to our current president's retardation?

This country is run on "good intentions", but most of the time, good intentions turn out bad, but their plans are never stopped.

bread's done
Back