FDA to Crack Down on Alcoholic Energy Drinks

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Federal officials began a crackdown Wednesday on potent alcoholic drinks that contain caffeine, warning companies that market the increasingly popular but dangerous beverages that the products are illegal.

The Food and Drug Administration sent letters to four companies that produce seven products, saying the agency had concluded that adding caffeine to alcohol was unsafe and unapproved. If the companies have not taken action within 15 days, the FDA could seek a court order barring them from continuing to sell the products, which have become a favorite among college students.

"FDA does not find support for the claim that the addition of caffeine to these alcoholic beverages is 'generally recognized as safe,' which is the legal standard," said Joshua M. Sharfstein, the FDA's principal deputy commissioner in a written statement. "To the contrary, there is evidence that the combinations of caffeine and alcohol in these products pose a public health concern."

Federal officials were facing increasing pressure to take action in the wake of a series of high-profile incidents, especially involving college students. Students at Central Washington University and Ramapo College in New Jersey ended up in the emergency room after consuming the drink Four Loko, including some who had such high alcohol levels in their blood that they were treated for alcohol poisoning. In other incidents, deaths and fatal car crashes have been blamed on the drinks.

The drinks, sometimes called a "blackout in a can," contain high levels of alcohol and caffeine, making it difficult for people to realize how intoxicated they are, experts say. That puts them at increased risk for alcohol poisoning and engaging in risky behavior such as driving drunk and committing or being the victims of sexual assaults, they say. Consuming one can of Four Loko, the most popular of the drinks, is the equivalent of drinking as many as five cans of beer and a cup of coffee.

Officials from the FDA, the Federal Trade Commission, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, and state attorneys general from Iowa and Washington state will further explain the crackdown at an afternoon briefing.

"I call them killer cocktails," said Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, who has been working with other attorneys general to pressure the federal government to take action against the drinks. "Young people have been dying after drinking this stuff. It's about time we're finally doing something about these dangerous drinks."

Washington state, Michigan and other states have banned the drinks, others have taken or are considering similar steps, and more could act based on the federal action. Officials in Virginia and Maryland said they were mulling their options. The District had no plans to take any independent steps.

"State-level product bans will continue to be necessary to get the products off of store shelves," said Michele Simon of the Marin Institute in San Francisco, an alcohol-industry watchdog group. "States are the primary regulators of alcoholic beverages and have full authority to ban alcoholic energy drinks whether by regulatory or legislative action, or through attorney general enforcement."

With the number of state bans increasing and the federal crackdown imminent, Phusion Projects of Chicago, which makes Four Loko, announced Tuesday night that it was removing caffeine and other substances from all of its products.

"We have repeatedly contended - and still believe, as do many people throughout the country - that the combination of alcohol and caffeine is safe. If it were unsafe, popular drinks like rum and colas or Irish coffees . . . would face the same scrutiny that our products recently faced," said Chris Hunter, Jeff Wright and Jaisen Freeman, the company's managing partners, in a statement. "We are taking this step after trying - unsuccessfully - to navigate a difficult and politically charged regulatory environment at both the state and federal levels."

Phusion previously announced that it was voluntarily ceasing sales in New York after officials there pushed to ban the beverages.

Four Loko was a concoction of four main ingredients - caffeine, malt liquor, guarana, a South American plant whose seeds are rich in caffeine, and taurine, an amino acid that some think can boost athletic and mental performance - plus sugar and artificial flavoring. Gaurana and taurine will also be removed, the company announced.

Sold in 23.5-ounce brightly colored cans containing 12 percent alcohol for about $2.50 each, Four Loko has been marketed aggressively in multiple fruit flavors on college campuses. The drinks and similar products have become the focus of parties on many campuses.

A year ago, the FDA sent letters to nearly 30 companies that make the beverages, notifying them that it planned to investigate the drinks' safety and legality. State officials and other critics of the drinks had become frustrated that it was taking the agency so long to act.

In its statement, Phusion complained that "over the last several months we have been more than willing to talk with regulators and policymakers on the national, state and local levels. Our company has a history of being as cooperative as we possibly can to ensure that our products are consumed safely, responsibly and only by of-age adults."

The company said it had previously added multiple warning labels to its cans and taken other steps, including selling versions of its products with lower alcohol content.

"By taking this action today, we are again demonstrating leadership, cooperation and responsible corporate citizenship," the company said.

Under pressure from state attorneys general, several large brewers, including Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors stopped marketing caffeinated products in 2008. But products such as Four Loko and Joose produced by United Brands of San Diego and other small brewers took off. That raised concern the larger companies might reenter the market.

In a statement released in advance of Wednesday's announcement, United Brands Chief Executive Officer and President Michael Michail said the company was "aware of the concerns expressed by various regulators and will ensure that all Joose products meet state and national health and safety guidelines.

"We respect the decision of the FDA, will be reviewing the details of the new guidelines and will be aligning new FDA rules with the demands of our loyal consumer base," Michail said. "And, as we always have, will market Joose products in a legal and responsible manner."

A nanny state at it's finest?

I think so. As an avid drinker (and one that enjoys a Sparks every now and then) I can't believe the FDA would act on this because a few people (relative to the drinking population) couldn't handle their booze. And you know, it's not like anyone has EVER mixed alcohol and caffeine before. I guess these are just worse than the countless rum and cokes and jagerbombs that people order at bars every night.

I find this kind of product interesting, Beer in its own right is not addictive forming, by that I mean it doesn't hit the usual receptors in the brain, but caffeine does. I look forward to watching the addiction rates of these drinks in the future and how fast their market share grows. Although I am against this ban, and really pretty much all substance bans, but this is interesting to me. Thanks for posting this, I never even knew Sparks existed.

I had an idea for an alcohol/energy drink. It was to be called Sexahol. I never pursued it. That is my one regret.

[quote name='Msut77']I had an idea for an alcohol/energy drink. It was to be called Sexahol. I never pursued it. That is my one regret.[/QUOTE]

Sexahol Plus, now with 50% more Rohypnol.

"Works every time!"

Jagerbombs is just as evil as these other drinks are. It is so easy to get trashed without realizing it. I've stopped drinking Jaggerbombs while I was just pleasantly buzzed and then all of the sudden I just get more and more drunk until I'm ready to puke.
I hate even thinking about it. Just say no!

Agree with RAM, a few dipshits were too stupid to realize what they're consuming.

That said, why not let the free market take care of this? Why should the FDA be involved at all? Phusion Projects will realize that their product is harming people and will do the responsible thing and take it off the shelves, right?

[quote name='IRHari']Agree with RAM, a few dipshits were too stupid to realize what they're consuming.

That said, why not let the free market take care of this? Why should the FDA be involved at all? Phusion Projects will realize that their product is harming people and will do the responsible thing and take it off the shelves, right?[/QUOTE]

I know you hate the free market and all ;) but it has nothing to do with this and everything to do with government knows best. Because ya know, people aren't responsible enough to take care of themselves and make reasonable decisions. There's a "spotlight video" on Google News right now, the headline says "Police: Teen Wrecks SUV After Drinking 4 Loko". When really it should say "Teen Drives Drunk, Crashes".

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Because ya know, people aren't responsible enough to take care of themselves and make reasonable decisions. [/QUOTE]
For a large percentage, yeah.

Both parties have their BS.

Republicans like cracking down on swears on the radio. Dems overreact when some kids can't handle their liquor.

Oh well.

Of course not, people should be able to do whatever the fuck they want, even if it hurts somebody else.

[quote name='UncleBob']Thus we need the government to come in and restrict everyone.[/QUOTE]

Well, let's be honest, an extremely cheap beverage that mixes a depressant with a stimulant, in large quantities, that is being marketed towards dumb college kids, who are just starting to experiment with alcohol, isn't a good thing and should be stopped.

You can still make jagerbombs or any other wacky booze/caffeine cocktail you want at home.

Red Bull is the only one that's going to benefit from this. They'll ban this new shit and kids will go back to Red Bull & vodka...pretty much the sole reason these companies invented this new shit.

[quote name='Sporadic'] Well, let's be honest, an extremely cheap beverage that mixes a depressant with a stimulant, in large quantities, that is being marketed towards dumb college kids, who are just starting to experiment with alcohol, isn't a good thing and should be stopped.[/QUOTE]

So why are they targeting just these soft drinks? Why not go after bars that serve those disgusting red bull/vodka mixtures.

And I'm not against the free market. I'm against a completely unregulated free market. I think if the FDA is going to go after this drink, they need to go after all drinks like it, which it doesn't appear they're doing.

We shouldn't abolish the FDA is what I'm saying. We shouldn't get rid of regulations for mines. Again, love the free market, hate a completely unregulated free market.

[quote name='Sporadic']Well, let's be honest, an extremely cheap beverage that mixes a depressant with a stimulant, in large quantities, that is being marketed towards dumb college kids, who are just starting to experiment with alcohol, isn't a good thing and should be stopped.

You can still make jagerbombs or any other wacky booze/caffeine cocktail you want at home.[/QUOTE]

F that and f them. Seriously, if you're old enough to get married or goto war, you're old enough to choose whether or not you want to drink cheap shitty booze.

I get tired of all this talk about protecting college students from themselves because they're "kids".

A Grateful Dead is far worse, and quite tasty. Lol, it's sad that I know people going out and buying up all the remaining drinks on the shelf as I type this. There is no reason that the FDA should be stepping in though. It's not going to change anything. As others have said, people who want to get drunk will just move to something else.

[quote name='IRHari']So why are they targeting just these soft drinks? Why not go after bars that serve those disgusting red bull/vodka mixtures.

And I'm not against the free market. I'm against a completely unregulated free market. I think if the FDA is going to go after this drink, they need to go after all drinks like it, which it doesn't appear they're doing. [/QUOTE]

Because the big problem are these insanely cheap/high alcohol+caffeine+other upper shit content premade drinks. And that is what they are going after (since the makers seem to have blown off the FDA when the FDA first contacted them about this)

It's just a bad combination all around. You have these sleazy companies creating very cheap drinks with high alcohol content while adding a ton of stimulants (I think 1 can of that Four Loko crap was the equivalent of 4-5 beers and 3-4 cups of coffee, I may have heard wrong, I don't drink crap like that), marketing them to a group that is just starting to experiment with alcohol. Now some may argue free market, nanny state, blah blah blah horseshit but this is a group with extremely limited funds that tries to drink as much as they can. Putting out an extremely cheap, potent drink that also messes with your sense of how fucked up you are really getting is dangerous.

"Why ban these when you can still go to a bar and get a jagerbomb?" Honestly, I think it is the price and convenience. 1 can of Four Loko is like $2.50-$3 and you can get it from any minimart. 1 Jagerbomb is going to run you $5+ and the only place to get it (besides making it yourself) is a bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what is bothering people? Did no one ever go to college?

"Young people have been dying after drinking this stuff. It's about time we're finally doing something about these dangerous drinks."

Who is this douche canoe? Do these people have any grasp on reality? Alcohol kills tons of people, but it's only a problem now? Go to a college campus over the weekend, there's kids puking at every house party in the city and sure enough half the people driving around are drunk.

But no! Save the kids from this drink! And make sure to ban marijuana!

[quote name='panzerfaust']This is what is bothering people? Did no one ever go to college?

Who is this douche canoe? Do these people have any grasp on reality? Alcohol kills tons of people, but it's only a problem now? Go to a college campus over the weekend, there's kids puking at every house party in the city and sure enough half the people driving around are drunk.

But no! Save the kids from this drink! And make sure to ban marijuana![/QUOTE]

well this is the big thing they are worried about

[quote name='some douche canoe from a cnn article']Students should be cautious, Long said, because the drinks contain both depressants and stimulants -- and because the high from caffeine can veil how much alcohol is inside.

"We've got students who are not aware that they're getting more and more intoxicated because the caffeine is masking those signs they're used to feeling," she said. "The more they drink, they're going to get to a point where they've had too much, and they might not realize it until it's too late."[/QUOTE]

but nah, i'm sure they really think this drink will lead to jazz music and raping white women

[quote name='IRHari']So why are they targeting just these soft drinks? Why not go after bars that serve those disgusting red bull/vodka mixtures.

And I'm not against the free market. I'm against a completely unregulated free market. I think if the FDA is going to go after this drink, they need to go after all drinks like it, which it doesn't appear they're doing.

We shouldn't abolish the FDA is what I'm saying. We shouldn't get rid of regulations for mines. Again, love the free market, hate a completely unregulated free market.[/QUOTE]

i was just giving you a hard time with the free market jab. yes, they went after all drinks like this, but my point is college students and people in general have been mixing caffeine and alcohol for years and years. everything from irish coffees, to jack and cokes and vodka redbulls. this is nothing new.

i dont think the FDA needs to be abolished either, but theyve done a shit job in regulating everything from, well, food and drugs for the last 20 years.

[quote name='Sporadic']

It's just a bad combination all around. You have these sleazy companies creating very cheap drinks with high alcohol content while adding a ton of stimulants (I think 1 can of that Four Loko crap was the equivalent of 4-5 beers and 3-4 cups of coffee, I may have heard wrong, I don't drink crap like that), [/QUOTE]

its a BS stat. thats like saying a long island is equivalent to multiple beers. its more alcohol in a larger glass, of course theres more alcohol. any malt liquor is going to have more alcohol than a coors light.

[quote name='"Sporadic"']Well, let's be honest, an extremely cheap beverage that mixes a depressant with a stimulant, in large quantities, that is being marketed towards dumb college kids, who are just starting to experiment with alcohol, isn't a good thing and should be stopped.[/quote]

This. Mainly the part about mixing a depressent and a stimulant. I support this ban. And to be consistent, I would go so far as to support a ban of bar served mixed drinks of these two items. Then the only people stupid enough to mix depressents and stimulants would be those doing it in their own homes. The only way to stop that would be prohibition, which is not going to happen.

I walked into my 3 month old daughter's room last night and saw her looking at the ceiling fan. Her emotions were changing rapidly in response to it. I think she was using it as a stimulant.

We need to ban ceiling fans.

I am in support of banning this too. It's not the fact that it's banning stuff that's similar to Jack & Coke, etc., it's how cheap these are and how much more content it has than any other drink like it. Not a good idea at all.

There's no reason the FDA should be involved. As a college student who has witnessed numerous Four Loko incidents, in my opinion, people who are too stupid and drink too much are just putting Darwinism into action. I started drinking in college last year, and there's been numerous times when I've been very messed up. But I've never passed our or blacked out and I've never thrown up from drinking. Why? Because I'm not an idiot and I know when to quit. If other people can't figure it out, that's their problem. Don't let idiots ruin it for the rest of us.

I'm sure you could get as much if not more alcoholic content from mixing a 2 liter of coke and jack daniels. Probably much more if you use the cheap stuff.

[quote name='Kreutz']This. Mainly the part about mixing a depressent and a stimulant. I support this ban. And to be consistent, I would go so far as to support a ban of bar served mixed drinks of these two items. Then the only people stupid enough to mix depressents and stimulants would be those doing it in their own homes. The only way to stop that would be prohibition, which is not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

In order to be consistent in this argument, you have to remove all stimulants from the equation, which also include establishments that serve alcohol to restrict the availability of chocolate and oxygen. Then oxygen-free bars and chocolate clubs would become cool and a couple stupid kids will die and then we'll outlaw that, too.

[quote name='Access_Denied']There's no reason the FDA should be involved. As a college student who has witnessed numerous Four Loko incidents, in my opinion, people who are too stupid and drink too much are just putting Darwinism into action. I started drinking in college last year, and there's been numerous times when I've been very messed up. But I've never passed our or blacked out and I've never thrown up from drinking. Why? Because I'm not an idiot and I know when to quit. If other people can't figure it out, that's their problem. Don't let idiots ruin it for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]
Well that's the problem. No one has every been "very messed up" before the use of this terrible product. We were all just "messed up" or perhaps "slowing our proverbial rolls".

[quote name='rabbitt']I feel like the FDA has better ways to spend its time.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Hey FDA - focus on getting a handle on basic foodstuffs like peanut butter and eggs - leave the choice of shitty booze to the college students.

I just don't understand this grand idea of protecting us from food and alcohal. Some people can and would like to eat a 4000 calorie double cheeseburger, and some people would like to get wasted.

Why is it that they (The FDA) believe everyone who drinks a four loko will drive drunk, and everyone who eats a cheeseburger will get heart disease? How many cans of the crap do they sell? How many "incidents" have there been?

Stop trying to protect us from ourselves, we can handle it. Some people can't handle it, but that is life we all make our choices.

Oh and Sporadic your stat is in the article.

Don't worry we will protect you from yourselves. said:
Consuming one can of Four Loko, the most popular of the drinks, is the equivalent of drinking as many as five cans of beer and a cup of coffee.

[quote name='speedracer']Well that's the problem. No one has every been "very messed up" before the use of this terrible product. We were all just "messed up" or perhaps "slowing our proverbial rolls".[/QUOTE]

But I've never had Four Loko. :) I've never tried it, nor do I ever want to. I realize the effect that energy drink and alcohol has on you. Yet I still feel like if people want to drink it, let 'em. Let them learn the hard way. I had a friend who played chandeliers with Four Loko, and after I dragged him home and he threw up for hours on end, he realized that maybe he should take it easy.

I realize that not everybody will be so lucky, and some may have serious injuries or even death, but I feel as if that can happen with any alcohol. It's up to people to set their own limits (like I do). I feel like if you can't figure out when to stop, you have a much bigger problems.

I don't support a ban on this stuff, but maybe some kind of change. More obvious warnings maybe. Limiting the sale to 2 per person or something. I don't know. I'm just saying, it's 'Murrica, we should be able to do what we want, even if it is ridiculously stupid. :lol:

[quote name='2DMention']I am in support of banning this too. It's not the fact that it's banning stuff that's similar to Jack & Coke, etc., it's how cheap these are and how much more content it has than any other drink like it. Not a good idea at all.[/QUOTE]

So you support the ban because people are stupid. Awesome.

I've never had one of these (just the smell is ass) but people need to START the night with one, instead of drinking one while drunk. That's the main problem here.

It's equivalent to 5 beers? I'd probably hurl too if I drank one after feeling drunk or even buzzed.

I don't want to drink that shit, but a Steel Reserve/Hurricane has just as much alcohol and those have been on the shelves for years.

I'd sooner die than have the government protect me from myself. Anyone that supports this ban really needs to read a history book, as governments are always our greatest threats: war, genocide, taxes, ect. Yes, it is in our best interest to trust these people with our lives and our freedom...

Sigh. But then again, if Americans are so willing to accept government intervention in our lives, than perhaps Americans don't deserve freedom anymore.

You are correct in the fact that theres is a huge distance between banning some booze and prohibiting free speech.

Problem is that this is the course the government has been on for the last century and sooner or later, free speech will be the matter at hand.

My point is that you stop it now when something as trivial as shitty alcohol is on the line rather than a pinnacle of your freedom.

And yeah, I'm probably taking this a little too seriously considering the fact that I don't even like to drink, but I despise every little law and regulation that restricts what I can do in the safety of my own home.

Anyway, back to the herb. Got to shed some of this anger, lol.

If you support this like an idiot I also suggest you support car banning, as idiots drink and the get in cars and kill....

Don't want that do you?

Ever notice how every time something is outlawed, it proves to some folks that we're just one step closer to some sort of dictatorship? Seriously folks, cool your jets, we aren't on course to become the next Germany, Russia, or whatever other countries people usually cite to show we're on the path to totalitarianism.

[quote name='AdultLink']If you support this like an idiot I also suggest you support car banning, as idiots drink and the get in cars and kill....

Don't want that do you?[/QUOTE]

False equivalency.

Ever notice that whenever the government steps in and tells us we cannot do something, you guys always say "well its not like we are a dictatorship yet!"

The interesting part is that when it comes to building the mosque in NYC, it doesn't hold a candle to the intolerance the rest of the world has for different religions have, yet we should live by example, and not set the bar to their level. But when it comes to freedom as long as we aren't germany yet, we should be alright.

[quote name='Knoell']Ever notice that whenever the government steps in and tells us we cannot do something, you guys always say "well its not like we are a dictatorship yet!"

The interesting part is that when it comes to building the mosque in NYC, it doesn't hold a candle to the intolerance the rest of the world has for different religions have, yet we should live by example, and not set the bar to their level. But when it comes to freedom as long as we aren't germany yet, we should be alright.[/QUOTE]

Ever notice that whenever the government does anything that doesn't involve bombing another nation, you guys hysterically scream that America is socialist?

bread's done
Back