4 - Wii - Just Dance (Ubisoft) - 275.4K
5 - Wii - Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 272.5K
6 - PS3 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Acti-Blizzard) - 252.8K
7 - 360 - Mass Effect 2 (EA) - 246.5K
8 - PS3 - Dante's Inferno (EA) - 242.5K
9 - 360 - Dante's Inferno (EA) - 224.7K
10- PS3 - Heavy Rain (SCEA) - 219.3K

NPD's Anita Frazier:
LOS ANGELES, March 11 (Reuters) - Sales of video game gear and software in the United States slid 15 percent in February in their second straight monthly decline, but should bounce back starting in March on the back of new releases according to industry tracker NPD.

Microsoft's (MSFT.O) Xbox 360 topped sales of home console platforms with 422,000 units moved last month -- the first time the software giant's console has led since September 2007, when its Halo 3 game was released. Take Two Interactive's (TTWO.O) newly-released Bioshock 2 shooter topped all game sales in February.

The Nintendo (7974.OS) DS was the top selling game platform overall, with 613,200 units moved.

Overall sales of hardware, software and accessories in the country came to a disappointing $1.26 billion (in February), though higher average prices in the month helped, said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

"Honestly, I had expected the industry to perform somewhat better this month. Nonetheless, strong new releases and Easter gift-buying bodes well for industry performance in March," Frazier said in a statement.

"Higher average retail prices on all categories except console hardware boosted dollar sales performance somewhat," she added. (Reporting by Edwin Chan; editing by Carol Bishopric)

Year over Year Change (Feb 2010 vs Feb 2009):
PS3: +30.5%
360: +7.9%
NDS: +4.3%
PS2: -22.2%
PSP: -33.0%
WII: -47.2%

Lifetime Hardware Sales (Approx)

WII - 28.0m
360 - 19.5m
PS3 - 11.8m
NDS - 39.9m
PSP - 17.0m
PS2 - 45.6m

US Benchmarks:

PS2 - 22,420,000 (40 months) (Jan 2004)
PS2 - 27,382,000 (52 months) (Jan 2005)

Xbox - 12,266,000 (40 months) (Feb 2005)
Xbox - 14,244,000 (52 months) (Feb 2006)

GCN - 9,270,000 (40 months) (Feb 2005)
GCN - 10,860,000 (52 months) (Feb 2006)

PS3 - 11,760,200 (40 months) (Feb 2010)
Wii - 27,998,500 (40 months) (Feb 2010)
360 - 14,397,000 (40 months) (Feb 2009)
360 - 19,483,900 (52 months) (Feb 2010)

Last edited by a moderator:
this isnt an anti 360 question but do they factor in how many of those sales are due to people replacing systems that have died?

[quote name='lokizz']this isnt an anti 360 question but do they factor in how many of those sales are due to people replacing systems that have died?[/QUOTE]

How the hell would they know those numbers? If my 4 year old 360 died right now and I drove to Walmart to buy a new one they arent gonna ask why I am buying it.

[quote name='Malik112099']How the hell would they know those numbers? If my 4 year old 360 died right now and I drove to Walmart to buy a new one they arent gonna ask why I am buying it.[/QUOTE]

i dont know but it would be interesting to see how many of those new console sales are from new console owners versus people replacing dead consoles. or how many ps3 sales are from new console buyers versus people looking to trade in an older console to get a slim.

It's really sad to see something like Just Dance sell so well.

People are still making plenty of the games you guys want to play, so it shouldnt bother you too much. However it may be OK to worry that the companies making the games you want are not making money despite selling a ton of units (except Activision/Blizzard)

[quote name='diddy310']Wow, Bioshock 2 for PS3 didn't even chart.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised too. I wonder how much it sold.

I'm guessing Wii Play and Mario Kart at least outsold it, Darksiders is still probably selling fairly well too. I'd venture around 13-15th

Odds are against Darksiders getting top 20. That was released at the very beginning of January and is probably pretty frontloaded. Normally you dont chart twice in a row unless you are a really big hit or a Nintendo title.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']People are still making plenty of the games you guys want to play, so it shouldnt bother you too much. However it may be OK to worry that the companies making the games you want are not making money despite selling a ton of units (except Activision/Blizzard)[/QUOTE]

is it 2006 in here or is it just me?

[quote name='lokizz']this isnt an anti 360 question but do they factor in how many of those sales are due to people replacing systems that have died?[/QUOTE]

Most of them. Their install base is a third to half as large as they claim because of it. They just count sales for any reason which is why such a poorly designed system was able to sell anything.

[quote name='diddy310']Wow, Bioshock 2 for PS3 didn't even chart.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will fall 11-20. DMK should have those numbers by Saturday night.

[quote name='KingBroly']That's pretty damn good for Heavy Rain considering the sales for it are only for 4 days.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for being douchy, but it was 6 days. Don't know how much that matters in the discussion. Still pretty damn impressive as you said.

The games I bought were Bioshock 2 on launch, Heavy Rain on launch, and Dante's Inferno on PS3 on the 28th (all either with Gamestop credit or Target gift cards from Christmas.)

Hardware sales are healthy, even though PS3 was in third place, it sold 350K+ units.

7/10 titles are non Wii.

Nice to see Heavy Rain, surprised by that.
Also surprised at how low Bioshock 2 PS3 must be.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Sorry for being douchy, but it was 6 days. Don't know how much that matters in the discussion. Still pretty damn impressive as you said.

The games I bought were Bioshock 2 on launch, Heavy Rain on launch, and Dante's Inferno on PS3 on the 28th (all either with Gamestop credit or Target gift cards from Christmas.)[/QUOTE]
Isn't it 4 days? (23rd thru 27th) At least I think this NPD stopped on 27th.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, majority of sales are the first 3 days anyway for all games.

Wii system sales... not... first play? Thank God Just Dance is still up there or I'd kill myself.

Sad that Sonic and the Sega All Stars Racing didn't chart, but I kind of expected that. I hope a number for that gets out. I'm guessing for February it must have been something pitiful like 8k for the 360 or something.

[quote name='dallow']Isn't it 4 days? (23rd thru 27th) At least I think this NPD stopped on 27th.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, majority of sales are the first 3 days anyway for all games.[/QUOTE]

Heavy Rain came out on Tuesday, the 22nd. Wouldn't the data cover the 22nd-28th?

If it doesn't cover the 28th, then my purchase of Dante's Inferno didn't count because I bought it on the first day it was on sale that week.

[quote name='Maklershed']Wow why the huge spike for New Super Mario Brothers last month? Was there some kind of crazy promo going on?[/QUOTE]

No, the game has just been a massive hit.

Top 20 is up:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ens_vs_Predator_Jump_Into_February_Top_20.php
top-20-feb-2010.png

Saw on Kotaku's post that the reporting period was Jan. 31-Feb. 27, so Heavy Rain only had 5 days on the shelf in the data, and my purchase of Dante's Inferno on PS3 didn't count towards the Feb. numbers (bought it on Feb. 28.)

[quote name='Maklershed']Wow why the huge spike for New Super Mario Brothers last month? Was there some kind of crazy promo going on?[/QUOTE]

It was 3rd I believe in Nov., 1st in Dec., 1st or 2nd in Jan., and now 2nd this month.

360's BioShock crushed PS3's version (by like 2.5 million to 0.5 million), so it's not surprising that BioShock 2 is selling well on 360, and only moderately well on PS3.

[quote name='Maklershed']Wow why the huge spike for New Super Mario Brothers last month? Was there some kind of crazy promo going on?[/QUOTE]Expect to see it in the top ten for the next 2 years Mak.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']360's BioShock crushed PS3's version (by like 2.5 million to 0.5 million), so it's not surprising that BioShock 2 is selling well on 360, and only moderately well on PS3.[/QUOTE]Well, yeah, a year headstart does that. No one buys year old ports except for Japan.
Strange that 2 did so poorly relative to the 360 version though. Interesting how the first one's release might have affected that.

[quote name='dallow']Expect to see it in the top ten for the next 2 years Mak.

Well, yeah, a year headstart does that. No one buys year old ports except for Japan.
Strange that 2 did so poorly relative to the 360 version though. Interesting how the first one's release might have affected that.[/QUOTE]

that could be due to all the exclusives coming out on ps3. if youve only got enough for one game what are you going to buy bioshock 2, heavy rain or gow3? and add to that ff13 ( which isnt an exclusive before anyone says something) which is a big series for ps owners if you can only get one new game what would you choose?

[quote name='dallow']Expect to see it in the top ten for the next 2 years Mak.

Well, yeah, a year headstart does that. No one buys year old ports except for Japan.
Strange that 2 did so poorly relative to the 360 version though. Interesting how the first one's release might have affected that.[/QUOTE]

It definitely affected it, considering the vast majority of the people in the world who played the first game played it on 360 as opposed to PS3.

Typically, 360 still does better with shooters than PS3, as well.

Bioshock came out way too late and botched port to PS3. Not surprised by 2's low sales. A little surprised that Dante's Inferno PS3 sold more than 360. GoW genre fans are on PS3 but you'd think they'd just wait for GoW 3.

[quote name='MSUHitman']It was 3rd I believe in Nov., 1st in Dec., 1st or 2nd in Jan., and now 2nd this month.[/QUOTE]

Ahh ok. I wasn't sure if it had dropped and sprung back or what. Damn that game is making a killing.

bread's done
Back