Fedex Nightmare

I sent my Xbox360 to a guy on the net so he can mod it (legal mods like a custom paint job, fancy lighting etc). I sent the 360 to him UPS. He gets it the next day. Does his thing, and sends it back fedex. I got the tracker number from him, so I know he sent it back. It was going to be delivered back the next day. However I had to work that day. I get home later that night and checked my computer. When I checked the status, it said "delivered - no signature required" and a comment saying it was delivered to another apartment number! WTF? Isn't the whole feature of UPS and Fedex to deliver to places and get a signature for it? I really do think Fedex owes me a new 360. What do y'all think?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Did you call Fedex about this? If you did, what did they say? If you didn't, their customer service line is still open.[/QUOTE]

I called them on saturday, they said they will trace it and get back to me within 48 hours. I should call them back

[quote name='Jedi1979']did you attempt to go to the apartment number it was delivered to?[/QUOTE]

I went to every apartment in the building. The comment just said delivered to another apartment number, but didn't give the Apt number

[quote name='Dragonlordfrodo']I went to every apartment in the building. The comment just said delivered to another apartment number, but didn't give the Apt number[/quote]

well, that sounds downright dumb on the Fedex guys part, hopefully they can straighten it out for you

I absolutely despise Fedex, I had SO many problems with guys not knocking the ringer downstairs and just LEAVING saying that they attempted to deliver the package.

I will NEVER use Fedex again, I have had at LEAST 10 problems with that company...either UPS or USPS/DHL for me

I called fedex again. They told me they are still looking into it. They said that I should call tomorrow night. This is bullshit. Why would they deliver it to some random person in the building without a signature?

[quote name='Jewelz23']I absolutely despise Fedex, I had SO many problems with guys not knocking the ringer downstairs and just LEAVING saying that they attempted to deliver the package.

I will NEVER use Fedex again, I have had at LEAST 10 problems with that company...either UPS or USPS/DHL for me[/quote]

Same, I hate FedEx, luckily for me I was home, but I had a package sent two day express, and the FedEx guy just camed, left the package and took off, didn't get a signature or anything. If I wasn't home, more than likely the package would've been stolen as the apartments I live in now is pretty shitty.

I really think they owe me a new one. It doesn't really help when you call them either, their phone system is pure crap. I hate having to scream into the phone menu options

Do you have a manager's office/apartment they may have delivered it to? I used to work in a call center and people would call in with similar complaints to us and a lot of times that's what happened with it.

Why they called us regarding the problem instead of UPS is beyond me, but there you go.

[quote name='Dragonlordfrodo']
I really think they owe me a new one. It doesn't really help when you call them either, their phone system is pure crap. I hate having to scream into the phone menu options[/quote]

Try just not saying anything for a while. The system should repeat itself a few times, and when you don't answer it will just spit you straight to a CSR.

[quote name='mikej012']Do you have a manager's office/apartment they may have delivered it to? I used to work in a call center and people would call in with similar complaints to us and a lot of times that's what happened with it.

Why they called us regarding the problem instead of UPS is beyond me, but there you go.

Try just not saying anything for a while. The system should repeat itself a few times, and when you don't answer it will just spit you straight to a CSR.[/QUOTE]

No manager's office. We have a landlord, but he is rarely here.

[quote name='Dragonlordfrodo']I sent my Xbox360 to a guy on the net so he can mod it (legal mods like a custom paint job, fancy lighting etc). I sent the 360 to him UPS. He gets it the next day. Does his thing, and sends it back fedex. I got the tracker number from him, so I know he sent it back. It was going to be delivered back the next day. However I had to work that day. I get home later that night and checked my computer. When I checked the status, it said "delivered - no signature required" and a comment saying it was delivered to another apartment number! WTF? Isn't the whole feature of UPS and Fedex to deliver to places and get a signature for it? I really do think Fedex owes me a new 360. What do y'all think?[/quote]

The person who pays for the shipping has to pay extra for signature confirmation, otherwise they just leave it at the door or with a neighbor. Both FedEx and UPS do this so it really isn't FedEx's fault, they are simply doing what your guy only paid them to do. Your guy must be a supreme cheapass because it only costs like $2 for a signature. I don't think FedEx would be liable for anything.

^ Exactly. We run a FedEx ship center at my job on campus and it costs extra to require a signature. I'd say it's worth the cost if your package is worth a lot.

Although I do agree that FedEx is really expensive, but maybe it's just my location. My job up charges people on campus like crazy. A package could only cost us $8-9 to ship and we charge the customer like $12-16. Talk about wallet rape.

[quote name='Dragonlordfrodo']I really think they owe me a new one. It doesn't really help when you call them either, their phone system is pure crap. I hate having to scream into the phone menu options[/quote]

Lay on that zero button or keep saying operator.

edit: woops i took too long and half of what i said was said during the writing of my post. sorry.

i'll start off with something useful. if ever someone makes a fedex faq this should be #2. #1 should be require DIRECT signature, or else send it to be held at a fedex / fedex kinko's location.

my useful tip: to skip talking to machines, press 0 on the keypad when it starts asking you to talk. twice is basically a guarantee you'll get a person.

Kendro is correct on the signature part. Residential signature is an option that the sender must choose, and there is an additional fee. You can choose between No signature, Direct signature, and Indirect signature. If you don't choose anything, it defaults to no signature. It used to be the other way around. You used to have to specifically state that you didn't require a signature, but it hasn't bene that way for some time now.

I don't know the official reason it changed, but i assume it is because of the number of complaints that "well i can't be home for that and i don't want to have to drive to a fedex office to get it"

it possibly had something to do with the increase in gas costs, and the subsequent increase in delivery costs if they had to keep attempting to redeliver to get a signature without the customer actually requiring it.

As far as fedex's liability, that also depends on how it was sent. if this guy is cheap enough that he didn't require a signature, then he likely didn't declare the value of the item inside the box, as for every $100 over $100 there's an approximate $1.20 fee. (ie if you declared $100 or less there is no fee, if you declare $101 - $200 there is a ~$1.20 fee, $201 - $300 ~$2.40 fee, etc)

So for a 360 he would have had to pay an additional $3.60 for a 400 dollar declared value, and $2.50 for signature. It would have added $6.10 to to shipping cost, and that is obviously way too much to have to pay to ensure the safety of your 360.

Fun additional note: had he just lump summed the value to $500 he would have gotten the Direct Signature "forced" upon him, as fedex requires direct signature for declared values of 500 or more. Which means he could have gotten the value and signature for $4.80. They would have made him let them inspect the package, but you'd almost want that, as that means someone other than him could confirm that the 360 was in good (physical, at least) condition when it began the shipping trip, and had anything happened to you would have had recourse.

I just noticed the OP's name. He probably saw the pics you posted way back when and figured (rightfully so) that you owed him.

[quote name='Milkyman']hmm even if it did require a signature couldn't anyone sign anything they want and get your package anyway?[/QUOTE]

direct signature requires someone who lives at the address specified (which assuming he included an apartment number or whatnot would only be op and/or op relatives/roommates) over the age of 18 to sign

indirect signature allows neighboring residences to sign as well, which is why 99% of the time it isn't recommended.

Wow I have never heard of this, at all. However, even if the shipper didn't specify a signature, wouldn't the driver just leave it my door? As opposed to taking it to a totally different apartment number?

[quote name='Dragonlordfrodo']Wow I have never heard of this, at all. However, even if the shipper didn't specify a signature, wouldn't the driver just leave it my door? As opposed to taking it to a totally different apartment number?[/quote]
Well that's the weird thing. They wouldn't just hand it to some random neighbor in the complex, it would be your next door neighbor. And they always leave a slip on your door telling you which neighbor accepted the package. Your original post mentioned that you checked the status online. Checking online rarely gives any details, it just tells whether it was delivered or not. The actual details are on the slip so I'm starting to think that the neighbor who took the 360 went through the trouble of hiding the slip (though his dumbass didn't realize you can check online). Did you get a slip or not?

i didnt have time to write before but when i was doing a route for the post office i came across a Fedex package that was left on the cluster box in front of the apartments...funny thing was it wasnt even the right complex so since that was my next stop i just took it over to the right apartment in that complex, i couldnt believe that the guy would leave it like that though

[quote name='Kendro']Well that's the weird thing. They wouldn't just hand it to some random neighbor in the complex, it would be your next door neighbor. And they always leave a slip on your door telling you which neighbor accepted the package. Your original post mentioned that you checked the status online. Checking online rarely gives any details, it just tells whether it was delivered or not. The actual details are on the slip so I'm starting to think that the neighbor who took the 360 went through the trouble of hiding the slip (though his dumbass didn't realize you can check online). Did you get a slip or not?[/QUOTE]

I didn't get any slip.

damn man that really sucks at the very least if you have xbox online youd better try and close off your account so they cant use it or better yet if he does use it isnt there some way to track where its being used from? i used to think usps was bad with that kind of thing but yeah definelty go ups for shipping. my regular delivery guy is a gamer too so he never leaves shit just laying around always knocks. pluss im lucky too in that i have a neighbor whose honest and would hold any packages that are left in front of the apt for me.

Sorry for your troubles man. Be persistent and determined on the phone with FedEx, if you're not getting anywhere talk to a manager and just tell him/her whats up. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

bread's done
Back