Fees/Cost of not returning games to Hollywood Video?

SuperFox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Does anyone know what the penalty is for losing a game rental from a Hollywood Video? It would be a PS2 game, not Wii/PS3/Xbox 360.

[quote name='Unickuta']Is it Marvel vs. Capcom 2? :D[/quote]

Possibly...;)

Could be Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, as well....

[quote name='SuperFox']Possibly...;)

Could be Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, as well....[/quote]

I remember someone trying this a few months ago, too, but I'm guessing it would be around $20-30. After all, they just clearanced out all of their GameCube and Xbox games for $10 each.

[quote name='Unickuta']I remember someone trying this a few months ago, too, but I'm guessing it would be around $20-30. After all, they just clearanced out all of their GameCube and Xbox games for $10 each.[/quote]

I was wondering if they were doing that - there were two cardboard boxes on the floor by the shelves, one box with Xbox games, another with Gamecube games. I was curious if they were piling them up to sell, or what was going on.

But yeah, they have two MvC2 discs, and three SFAC discs, so I was hoping to see if it was profitable to "buy" the discs or not.

LMAO I am sure it is as I was just @ the store today and had the exact same thought. Although you wouldn't have the reg case.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to conveniently lose GCN games?

I'd say we're pretty bad people if we start practically stealing Marvel Vs Capcom and Mario Power Tennis from Hollywood Videos. XD

Um no idea where that Mario Power Tennis thought came from...

[quote name='paz9x']why dont you ask them?[/quote]

Asking in person wouldn't work; that would be too obvious (I walk up, rent the game, and ask "what happens if I lose this?".) I guess I could call.

[quote name='Samus']Does anyone know how much it would cost to conveniently lose GCN games?

I'd say we're pretty bad people if we start practically stealing Marvel Vs Capcom and Mario Power Tennis from Hollywood Videos. XD

Um no idea where that Mario Power Tennis thought came from...[/quote]

My HV had Pikmin 2...didn't think to look at what Mario titles they had.

[quote name='Scorch']they charge you the rental price every five days. then they send collection agencies after you or something.[/quote]

I would think they only send you to collections when you aren't paying the rental charges...but there has to be an endpoint, because when someone legitimately loses a game/damages the disc/has it stolen/whatever, they have no disc to return, so there is nothing else they can do.

[quote name='SuperFox']I would think they only send you to collections when you aren't paying the rental charges...but there has to be an endpoint, because when someone legitimately loses a game/damages the disc/has it stolen/whatever, they have no disc to return, so there is nothing else they can do.[/quote]

I dunno what that point is, then. I saw someone with a 3 month late movie that had over $100 in late charges on it.

[quote name='SuperFox']Asking in person wouldn't work; that would be too obvious (I walk up, rent the game, and ask "what happens if I lose this?".) I guess I could call.[/quote]

You could say you "lost" it, see what they say, then "find" it if you need to.

Not sure if they still do it, but they use to charge you the price they paid for it(guessing $50) if you lost it. YMMV if they'll let you keep the box.

Or, here's a really unique thought, you ask how much it would cost to purchase the game outright? I've done this several times @ Blockbuster when I really wanted a game that I couldn't find anywhere else. Of course, sometimes the buy it price is ridiculous and I'll just say 'no thanks'. But, on older games, as long as they've made their $$$, it's worth a shot.

Mind you, when I bought my copy of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 from a local place, they said they hadn't made their money on it, but still sold it to me for only $18 total. It just depends on the store I suppose and right now HV needs as much capital as they can bring in.

That's a good idea. Next time I'll go in I'll just ask them if they're willing to simply straight up sell any of their old rental games.

if it's anything like blockbuster there is no real collections agency it is blockbuster saying they are collections.

It doesn't hurt to just ask most of the time the price is pretty normal.

local stores few years back lost a lot of games this way with people just keepin them then they changed their ways. now here they say the replacement cost. If the game cant be found new they will charge you 2xEBAY PRICES

that has really stopped games from just disappearing,

lol yeah I did this for myself too =) I gotta check on what other rare games they got there

My HV has about any rare last-gen game in-stock and for sale. The clerk is even letting me dig through all the stuff to find manuals/artwork. I fucking LOVE my hollywood video. They always seem to have stuff in, and they have actual helpful employees, not just "Pay or gtfo."

Well, at the one connected to my gc you had to replace it.
There was this old woman whose grandson kept renting games and selling them to kids at school, so she was easily at gc once a month buying $200+ worth of games to replace the ones her a-hole grandkid stole. She was a bit of a bitch herself, so we never felt too terrible for her.

Though, I worked for an independently owned store, corporate may be different.

if you dont have a credit card on your account it costs you nothing you just cant go back there. If you do, the most you have to pay is the cost of the game, at the previoulsy viewed price. Hollywood has late fees buy it is in there policy that they cant force you to pay for them, only ask you everytime you rent. I used to work at one in Michigan, and our econmy sucks ass and they still didnt get every penny that they "could have"

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Okay, wow, this is like, totally theft.[/quote]

It isn't theft if you pay for it.:roll:
It may be a bit dishonest, but definitely not theft.

[quote name='georox']My HV has about any rare last-gen game in-stock and for sale. The clerk is even letting me dig through all the stuff to find manuals/artwork. I fucking LOVE my hollywood video. They always seem to have stuff in, and they have actual helpful employees, not just "Pay or gtfo."[/quote]

You are very lucky. I stopped in again to check the situation, and there were two cases of Marvel vs Capcom 2, and three cases for Street Fighter Anniversary Collection setting on the shelves. I took two cases up, and asked if it was possible to buy them straight up. The clerk said "Sure, as long as it's not the last one - let me look up the price."

The sale price for SFAC was $14.99, and for MvC2, $19.99. I was very pleased and said "yeah, I'll take that." Turns out, though, that one of the two cases on the shelves for each game was the original case, and didn't actually house a game disc inside it, meaning there was only one copy of MvC2 at the store...so they wouldn't sell it. I then asked "Ok, since you have an extra case for SFAC, can I take the case with the original labels?" "No," was my response.

End of story...got SFAC (disc only) for $16.04 after tax. I will have to be a vulture at the store, waiting for PS2 clearances....

[quote name='mguiddy']It isn't theft if you pay for it.:roll:
It may be a bit dishonest, but definitely not theft.[/QUOTE]

That's some seriously stupid and unstable logic. If I paid for a one-day car rental, and never returned the car, then yeah, that'd still be stealing (grand theft auto, to be exact).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']That's some seriously stupid and unstable logic. If I paid for a one-day car rental, and never returned the car, then yeah, that'd still be stealing (grand theft auto, to be exact).[/quote]
:roll:
Wow, your analogy has nothing to do with this thread.

If you rent the car, "lose" it, then pay what the car rental place wants as a "replacement" fee, how is that stealing.

That sounds really silly, but think of it this way. Suppose I rent a game and legitimately lose it. I go to the rental store, tell them what happens, they charge me a replacement fee. That's theft?

[quote name='mguiddy']:roll:
Wow, your analogy has nothing to do with this thread.

If you rent the car, "lose" it, then pay what the car rental place wants as a "replacement" fee, how is that stealing.

That sounds really silly, but think of it this way. Suppose I rent a game and legitimately lose it. I go to the rental store, tell them what happens, they charge me a replacement fee. That's theft?[/QUOTE]

Legitimately losing something is not the same thing as knowingly keeping it and lying to them.

Actually...this is more like Theft by Deception....since you aren't paying the VALUE of the game...you are just paying what they THINK the value is. What you are doing would be like renting a '57 Chevy.. "losing" it..then paying them the price that it was originally in '57. You are trying to get around the appreciation the game has for being rare. But hey, try to lie to yourself however it helps to make you FEEL you aren't a thief.

The one local/regional grocery store chain(Wegman's) which just closed their video/game rental sections down completely and put in one of those dvd rental machines($1 a night for dvd rentals) used to have a sticker on the instruction booklets for their games, stating that if the book wasn't returned with the game, they would charge you $10 for it. I guess that's why I ended up with my complete/near mint Dark Alliance 2 for Xbox from them.

I haven't checked my 2-3 local HWV stores yet, though one is a bit out of the way, so I doubt I'll hit it anytime soon.

Oh and jousley, unless HWV and BB started becoming like JackedUpPricesStop(Gamestop to you laypeople), I don't see any stores charging Ebay-ish prices for grabbing games from their inventory.

[quote name='jousley']Actually...this is more like Theft by Deception....since you aren't paying the VALUE of the game...you are just paying what they THINK the value is. What you are doing would be like renting a '57 Chevy.. "losing" it..then paying them the price that it was originally in '57. You are trying to get around the appreciation the game has for being rare. But hey, try to lie to yourself however it helps to make you FEEL you aren't a thief.[/quote]

Asking a store how much a game is, and buying it, is theft? That's like saying you're a thief if you pick up Chrono Trigger from a pawn shop for $5.

The other "losing" and buying thing is a bit more deceitful, but it's not theft. Besides, this topic isn't for buying morals.

basically if you lose a game/dvd @ Hollywood Video they will charge the days late(if any) and the price of the game/dvd. that value varies & they usually dont know until that transaction is made, based on them returning the product, then putting it back on your acct and selling it to you. depending on the manager that is doing it, they may cut you a break and not charge you as much. but like i said, it varies tho. and how do i know this... i work there. lol

I did this a few years ago. It was "Rent To Own" (the price you pay for not retuning) at only $29.99. So I did it. I literally walked in, rented it, stayed at the counter and said I had no intention of returning it. They charged me, I paid, and legally owned it, and simultaneously, PWNED Movie Gallery (my former employer).

After 3-4 weeks of accumulating late fees, it automatically sells you the game or movie. You can then either pay the ridiculous charge of 3-4 weeks late fees plus whatever the price of the game/movie is preplayed, or you can return the game/movie and just pay the late fees. So theoretically, you can rent a game, keep it for a few months, and then return it and only pay for 3-4 weeks worth. You can also ask them to buy it right out. Some associates won't sell them right out, some will. I believe the official policy is that it if hasn't been rented in the last 60 days, then you can sell it at the preplayed price. Most associates don't know this, and some don't care. This can work either way for you. Don't be afraid to ask. :)

[quote name='Samus']That's a good idea. Next time I'll go in I'll just ask them if they're willing to simply straight up sell any of their old rental games.[/quote]

You've got it all wrong.

You grab one copy of the game, bring it to the counter, and say, "how much would it be for me to buy this game?"

Don't be coy about it, bring the game right up there. If they allow it, then grab the rest.

yea depends on the store. u be suprised, or maybe not, how many pplz want to buy stuff and willing to pay whatever price necessary. i think the last time i sold a rental was to a father for his son i think. it was like a pokemon DVD, he was renting it all the time, and i was like u want it, just tell me u lost it, and u can pay the price. i think the computer rang it @ $8 or something. happy customer.

You are right Samus....its not theft...it's Fraud, a deception made for personal gain. Well fraud kind of falls right under theft in the books. I'm not talking about if the store willingly sells you a copy when you ask if they will sell one...that's their choice. But if you rent a game, lie and say you lost it to buy it...that would be fraud.

Look at it this way. If you did rent it and then lie about it being lost with a copy of say, Chrono Trigger....and they said "Ok...well the price is $120 you have to pay us now to replace it"...how long do you think it would take you to "find" the game? About two minutes I figure. You would only go through with your lost lie if it would benefit you....sounds like fraud to me.

As for morals....thats your personal choice I guess to do something like this or not. It's just sad to me to see someone so new to the site that seems hell bent on being shady about getting a "deal" on a game.

Movie rental stores (I'm speaking for Movie Gallery/Hollywood specifically) don't really care either way. The only way they care is if you rent it, never bring it back, and then never pay the fees. That's when they get annoyed. But if you rent something and don't bring it back, and pay the fees, they won't even care. That's just how they do business. As long as you pay your fees, there's nothing shady or immoral about it. You don't even have to lie about losing it. It's just normally just not very cost effective to do this, because almost no rental places have rare games, and after cost of the game plus late fees, you're looking at around $100 for a disc only (maybe manual included) used game.

The reason most rental places don't have rare games are because jack-holes steal them. So instead of being able to go into a rental place and rent some rare game to play or try out, you have to go on Ebay and BUY the game for $100. And you MIGHT be buying the same game that was "lost" from the game store.

[quote name='jousley']It's just sad to me to see someone so new to the site that seems hell bent on being shady about getting a "deal" on a game.[/quote]

Hopefully you are not referring to my original post, as my asking a question about lost/late fees is a far cry from "hell bent." I was expecting an answer of "they charge late fees up to the original price they paid for the game/video," rather than the answer of "varies from store to store." It is also clear (from my previous post) that I ended up asking my store about purchasing the game and did buy one game, in a legal and moral manner.

[quote name='SuperFox']Hopefully you are not referring to my original post, as my asking a question about lost/late fees is a far cry from "hell bent." I was expecting an answer of "they charge late fees up to the original price they paid for the game/video," rather than the answer of "varies from store to store." It is also clear (from my previous post) that I ended up asking my store about purchasing the game and did buy one game, in a legal and moral manner.[/QUOTE]

Nope...was referring to Samus

bread's done
Back