Few Questions on Anime

Riyonuk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
Is there any anime or just series out there that are all CG, like FF7 Advent Children?

Can anyone recomend me any good anime? I like ghost in the shell and just fantasy epic ones. Wanted that Neo Genesiss one, but as that topic went, there sold out, so sctrach that off my list.

There isn't really anything out there in Region 1-land that's full CG yet, but give it time... (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

As for fantasy anime... have you seen Record of Lodoss War or Escaflowne? The Slayers, Slayers Next (season 2), and Slayers Try (season 3) are also good fantasy series, although the Slayers saga is less serious as a whole.
If you don't mind the whole magical girl thing, Magic Knight Rayearth also has an excellent story in a fantasy setting.

For the Ghost in the Shell fan: you may like Bubblegum Crisis for some more of that cyberpunk goodness. BGC is a bit old, but still excellent. If you're a Masamune Shirow fan, I also recommend the Dominion Tank Police OVA series released by CPM/U.S. Manga. And if you're not already collecting Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex... do it. :)

Evangelion can be found fairly affordably in its Platinum Collection form... not $8 cheap, but still reasonable as far as anime boxsets go ($40-ish @ walmart or something like that).

Here are the anime I own, and think are pretty cool:
Sailor Moon (uncut, seasons 1-4 and the movies, all OOP. would not recommend to any CAGs at the current price range, however)
Tenchi Muyo OVA
Magic Knight Rayearth
The Slayers (all three seasons, from CPM + the movie box, from ADV)
The Legend of Black Heaven (pending in, watched it during its run on the International Channel/AZN, very funny)
Bubblegum Crisis (pending in, see above)
DNA2 (short, cheap, funny. not a fantasy story, but a twisted love comedy. the dub sort of stinks though)
Nightwalker (anime vampire cop show, 12 episodes. also cheap)
Project A-ko ($10 for the movie! :) )
.hack//SIGN
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Big O

I hope this helps.
-Sailorneorune

No offense, but I googles each one, and they look kinda lame..to me anyways. That Legend of Black Heaven looked kinda cool, I guess I need cool characters also, like hot girls with powers or something, lol. No Im not perverted, like that anime Tengo Tengji or whatever, thats cool. I saw R.O.D and thats kinda cool. Angel Blade too ^_^.

For a CG movie that is similar to Ghost in the Shell, I would suggest Appleseed (the 2005 version). It is also from a Masamune Shirow manga, and it has some of the same themes as GitS, though there is more of an emphasis on action.

ah, crap, forgot about Appleseed. Thanks _heretic!

So our tastes in anime aren't that similar... big deal.

However, I can point you in the right direction: http://www.animeondvd.com

Check out some of the reviews for titles you may be interested in.

-Sailorneorune

Blue Submarine No. 6. :D

Not full CG, but there is quite a bit in it. I believe it was one of the first anime series to use CG so predominately.

Vangaurd has quite a bit of CG in it. It's a Giant robo anime. You should check out Hellsing, a great short 13 ep. anime...it has plenty of style.

It isn't that I hated Neon Genesis Evangellion, it just I don't understand why it is touted as one of the greatest anime series. Oh well. Perhaps it would be a bit more tolerable if Shinji was a little less of a whiny baby. Ending of the series was pretty horrible too, though it was mostly rectified by the film.

My recommendations are the medievel series Berserk (deals with some dark themes and is pretty graphic FYI) and the gangster noirish Gungrave.

My interest in Berserk was piqued by the Dreamcast game Sword of the Berserk, it was very violent and quite fun. Once I learned it was based on a Manga, I was intruiged, when I learned they produced one season based on the Manga, I eagerly awaited each release of the volumes to the US to rent and eventually purchased the season box set. The series follows the rise of a mercenary group named "The Band of the Hawk" as they gain power and prestiege during medieval times. It is a little "speechy" I guess you could say at times near the end of a few episodes, and it takes some shocking turns near the end of the series (to that end be very careful about spoilers if you google it, I don't imagine the series would be quite the same if you knew what is coming)

Gungrave chronicles the rise of two street punks to the head of a powerful organized crime syndicate with a bit of a sci-fi twist. Don't judge the series by the first episode, once you are passed the first episode, it is pure gold till about the 3/4ths mark then the quality dips a bit, but is still excellent. The series transcends it's humble origins as a video game by leaps and bounds. It has a bit of a noir touch to it as well.

Here are the anime I own, and IMO range in quality from middling to excellent.

My favorite anime that I own:
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop (all six session discs and three of the remix DVDs)
Genshiken (Vol. 1 + artbox)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (through 2nd Gig Vol. 1)
Macross Plus OVA
Ninja Scroll (10th Anniversary SE)
Orguss 02
Porco Rosso
Read or Die OVA
Record of Lodoss War OVA
Samurai X OVA
Samurai Champloo (Vol. 1 + artbox - Vol. 5)
Spirited Away
Tenchi Muyo OVA
Tenchi Universe
Trigun

Anime I own that is so-so:
Gunparade March
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Millennium Actress
Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight
Princess Mononoke
Serial Experiments Lain
Vampire Hunter D

Anime I own but haven't watched:
Blue Submarine No. 6
Castle in the Sky
Gatekeepers (Vol. 1)
Gatekeepers 21
Kiki's Delivery Service
Labrynth of Flames
Last Exile
Najica Blitz Tactics
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Outlaw Star
Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
Witch Hunter Robin

EDIT

Anime I hate (I'll add to the list as I think of more):
Dragonball Z
Naruto

[quote name='greysector'] Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight[/QUOTE]

Man, if you thought that was bad, imagine it back in the day. In the VHS days there was the dub version and the sub version (the dub version also appeared on Sci-Fi's Saturday Morning Anime as well). There was just one problem, though...the dub version had 41 minutes cut from the movie. What was the reason? None that anyone could come across. Ooops! You didn't need that 3/4 of an hour or so!

Besides, based on the rest of the movie, it was unlikely that 41 minutes was really going to help make it more than barely decent.

[quote name='Kapwanil'](the dub version also appeared on Sci-Fi's Saturday Morning Anime as well).[/QUOTE]

LOL, that's where I saw it the first time! I found it used at a local shop for about $9.00 and thought it would be a hoot to pick up and point to in my collection. I did a search on Amazon or something, and the DVD lists for like $40 or something. Insane.

[quote name='greysector']Najica Blitz Tactics
[/QUOTE]

I have to admit I want to see this. The trailers look awesome. But super_kridley there is a LOT of fanservice (panty flashes) just from the trailer. I see you are a high school student so I just wanted to let you know.

Check out the Top 100 anime as voted by fans at www.animenfo.com. Their list is pretty close to where I'd put my favorite anime and covers all genres.

I find the user reviews really helpful when I pick the next series to watch.

I checked out Najica Blitz Tactics, that looks awesome. The rest meh, but dont hate me, we all have diffrent opinions. Thanks for the site links and helping everybody. I think Ill be searching for a good price for the box set of Najica Blitz Tactics.

Yeah, Najica is funny. Definately the most panty shots in an anime ever. I enjoyed vol. 1. I'm trying to pick up the other two, but I can't find them anywhere (for a decent price). I saw the thinpack at Best Buy for like $30, but I already have v.1 and the box, so I'll just have to wait.

Just thought I'd recommend the Meta Anime Review Project for reviews. It basically collects reviews from several different sites, making it easy to find multiple opinions on different titles. http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/index.php

Right now I'm about half way through Heat Guy J and am enjoying it quite a bit, I have the complete series and just need to get around to watching the rest of it. I also liked Last Exile, although I still need to get the last 3 discs if I can find them cheap. Another vote here for Hellsing, I think I've watched it 3 times now. Berserk is killer, but don't expect any resolution. Expect to go "That's the last episode? Dammit dammit dammit." I really wish it would have continued for a second season. EVA was good, but I didn't care much for the ending. They tried for an artsy, deeply psycological ending about finding out one's self (others think they just ran out of money and had to throw together something cheap, both ideas fit), but I didn't think it worked or fit at all. My wife and I both love Inu Yasha, but I can definitely see why it appeals to 14 yr old girls and why some people hate it. I just picked up volumes 28-35 during this last DDD sale.

Anime is a lot like any other type of media, there's a lot of it out there and a lot of it is crap. But there is some that is just amazing, it's just down to personal taste.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']ah, crap, forgot about Appleseed. Thanks _heretic!

So our tastes in anime aren't that similar... big deal.

However, I can point you in the right direction: http://www.animeondvd.com

Check out some of the reviews for titles you may be interested in.

-Sailorneorune[/QUOTE]

Is the new appleseed a remake or just a rerelease? I didn't think the first was that great (bought it on vhs years ago), but this one seems to be very popular.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Is the new appleseed a remake or just a rerelease? I didn't think the first was that great (bought it on vhs years ago), but this one seems to be very popular.[/QUOTE]
It's all CG and IMHO only popular because of the visuals, the story itself isn't that great.

I also hear good things about Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, a re-telling of the classic tale set in the future, but haven't watched it yet as I would rather wait for them to release all the first season volumes so I can watch them without any large gaps between them.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I also hear good things about Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, a re-telling of the classic tale set in the future, but haven't watched it yet as I would rather wait for them to release all the first season volumes so I can watch them without any large gaps between them.[/QUOTE]
I'm in the process of watching Gankutsuou, and I can say with absolute certainty that it's really freaking great. Aside from Monster, I haven't watched a show this smart and sophisticated in ages.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'm in the process of watching Gankutsuou, and I can say with absolute certainty that it's really freaking great. Aside from Monster, I haven't watched a show this smart and sophisticated in ages.[/QUOTE]
Oh good, that's great to hear. Wonder when they'll catch up with the rest of the industry and start to release season sets, or at the very least speeding up the time between the releases of volumes. It's the same reason I haven't start watching the 2nd season of Ghost in the Shell: SAC.

Yeah, that's Gankutsuou (retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo).

Anyway, it's being released by Geneon, so it will be a while before the whole thing is released. Also, don't expect to see any boxset deals for a while. Geneon just isn't as big as they were in their Pioneer days...I'm still waiting on a good deal for Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit...but they still have some volumes to go before they've even finished releasing the whole series...

[quote name='rokkon']Yeah, that's Gankutsuou (retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo).

Anyway, it's being released by Geneon, so it will be a while before the whole thing is released. Also, don't expect to see any boxset deals for a while. Geneon just isn't as big as they were in their Pioneer days...I'm still waiting on a good deal for Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit...but they still have some volumes to go before they've even finished releasing the whole series...[/QUOTE]
Actually, Geneon frequently releases full box sets very soon after the final volume of a show is released. The down side is that these box sets are offered at a very minimal discount compared to if you were to buy each disc individually. A very, very minimal discount.

I dunno. They never released a box for Gatekeepers, and it was a long time before Black Heaven ever saw a box (granted, both were released back when they were still Pioneer). So it's up in the air as to whether the series is popular (like Lain or Trigun) or not as popular that they're going to get the boxset treatment. Although it's doubtful there will be 1 box for Hajime no Ippo, 15 volumes is too much...But Gankutsuou is probably about a year away as far as a box is concerned, vol 4 isn't even slated for release until May, and they're on a bi-monthly schedule. And like you said, they don't tend to discount their boxsets much, so deals are pretty far away...

The cloest thing to a 'deal' I can suggest, is that Geneon is currently having a buy 2 get $10 back rebate going on. Check rigthstuf.com for a link to the form.

Let's see... you say you'd like epic fantasy... perhaps look into the Heroic Legend of Arislan? It's an older one, and kinda obsure, but it's very epic. You might like it.

Thanks DuelLadyS, also, another n00b anime question, whats the diffrence between thinkpack boxsets and orginal, other than a major price diffrence?

[quote name='monoxide101'] Another vote here for Hellsing, I think I've watched it 3 times now.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Hellsing till the end. I'm waiting for the new Hellsing OVA to be released since it will be a LOT better than the first Hellsing series.

[quote name='monoxide101']Berserk is killer, but don't expect any resolution. Expect to go "That's the last episode? Dammit dammit dammit." I really wish it would have continued for a second season.[/QUOTE]

Berserk is a great series and a second season has been rumored for years. If you want to continue the series, read the manga. The manga picks up where the series left off.

well, if this is an anime thread going on panty shots...

*throws a vote in for Ikki Tousen*

lots of action, comedy, and clevage.

[quote name='souNReAL']well, if this is an anime thread going on panty shots...

*throws a vote in for Ikki Tousen*

lots of action, comedy, and clevage.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean. I still think Agent Aika had the most fanservice per minute of anything I have ever seen. I got the VHS when I was still kind of new to anime (not knowing what the show was about) and I was surprised by the amount of effort the animators put into all of fanservice. :lol:

bread's done
Back