FF XI subscription fee for 360?

sabin23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I was wondering if Square and MS were going to gouge FFXI players for both PlayOnline and Live service in order to play on Xbox360?

Besides the cost of the game, that's about $20-25 a month.

Knowing how addictive the game can be, there's little time to play any other Xbox360 game using the Live service so it seems a little absorbanent to pay for both online services... My friend and his girlfriend play 24/7 on PS2/PC. For the past 6-months they barely go to work or school. They live FFXI. Taking it overboard, IMO.

i would say expect it, square is clearly releasing this game to increase their dwindling population and keep servers going, but who knows, maybe m$ paid them off big time

Don't forget, Live service on the 360 is divided into two tiers, Silver and Gold. Only Gold incurs a subscription cost. It's is required for multiplayers gaming (except on some promotional weekends, kind of like when they give free HBO for a few days as a teaser) but since FFXI will unquestionably have its own subscription cost apart for XBL, they may allow Silver users to access it.

Also, expect the subscription to be identical to what PS2 users pay.

[quote name='iheartmetal']i would say expect it, square is clearly releasing this game to increase their dwindling population and keep servers going, but who knows, maybe m$ paid them off big time[/QUOTE]

No, it's been revealed that this has been in the works for a long time. The game isn't getting any major upgrades beyond 720p and 1080i support because it was originally developed as a Xbox game. Xbox players could have been going up against PS2 users all this time but there was a long running disagreement over making the game Xbox Live compliant vs. using Square PlayOnline interface.

Which is interesting since it shows that Square was serious in Xbox support a lot longer than we'd been led to believe. We might have seen other Square titles on Xbox if the conflict had been resolved and Square was rewarded with a strong Xbox subscriber base.

[quote name='sabin23']Besides the cost of the game, that's about $20-25 a month.[/QUOTE]

That's a bit high. XBL, if you pay yearly (the smart thing to do vs $5-$6 a month) is only $4 and change a month. I'm assuming the regular fee for FFXI is $13. That would make the total $17.

But, in the (supposedly) leaked details for the Silver/Gold plans, the free Silver accounts had access to MMOs. Thus it's likely that you won't have to pay for XBL AND FFXI, should you only want to play FFXI.

[quote name='epobirs']No, it's been revealed that this has been in the works for a long time. The game isn't getting any major upgrades beyond 720p and 1080i support because it was originally developed as a Xbox game. Xbox players could have been going up against PS2 users all this time but there was a long running disagreement over making the game Xbox Live compliant vs. using Square PlayOnline interface.

Which is interesting since it shows that Square was serious in Xbox support a lot longer than we'd been led to believe. We might have seen other Square titles on Xbox if the conflict had been resolved and Square was rewarded with a strong Xbox subscriber base.[/QUOTE]

The frame rate looked like it was given a substantial boost as well, from what I could glean from the videos.

myke.

[quote name='sabin23']I was wondering if Square and MS were going to gouge FFXI players for both PlayOnline and Live service in order to play on Xbox360?

Besides the cost of the game, that's about $20-25 a month.

Knowing how addictive the game can be, there's little time to play any other Xbox360 game using the Live service so it seems a little absorbanent to pay for both online services... My friend and his girlfriend play 24/7 on PS2/PC. For the past 6-months they barely go to work or school. They live FFXI. Taking it overboard, IMO.[/QUOTE]

XBOX Live offers a crapload of stuff that just "playing online" doesn't offer. Friends lists, voice chat, cross game invites for all games, downloadable content, etc. All that stuff requires bandwidth, servers, and costs money. No other console has these features united across all games. Therefore if you want to have access to that 24/7 you will have to pay a fee (tho Sat/Sun are free).

FFXI will be an additional fee (likely ~$12/month) on top of XBOX Live. Because it has seperate servers that it needs to run and needs bandwidth, too. All MMO's cost money, that's the way it is. WOW for the PC costs $15/month!

FFXI was decent. It got old because you have to spend an hour running where you want to go. There is ZERO chance of soloing after 10-15, unless you're a beastmaster, then you can solo, but you need to be 40ish agains 30ish and you pet takes a lot of xp. Making a party can take hours. Making a good party can almost never happen.

I heard you have to kill bees for 40 hours before you get anywhere...I dunno, just what I heard!

(I wonder if they'll release WoW on the 360....yikes)

[quote name='Apossum']I heard you have to kill bees for 40 hours before you get anywhere...I dunno, just what I heard!

(I wonder if they'll release WoW on the 360....yikes)[/QUOTE]

You can get to lvl 10 in 4-10 hrs depending on your job. At lvl 10 you can start PT with others. 4-10 hrs is just the gaining exp their is so much to do in the game it gets overwhelming for some. IMHO FFXI is the best MMORPG on the market. IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

[quote name='epobirs']No, it's been revealed that this has been in the works for a long time. The game isn't getting any major upgrades beyond 720p and 1080i support because it was originally developed as a Xbox game. Xbox players could have been going up against PS2 users all this time but there was a long running disagreement over making the game Xbox Live compliant vs. using Square PlayOnline interface.

Which is interesting since it shows that Square was serious in Xbox support a lot longer than we'd been led to believe. We might have seen other Square titles on Xbox if the conflict had been resolved and Square was rewarded with a strong Xbox subscriber base.[/QUOTE]

RUMOR #3: Final Fantasy XI will not undergo any graphical enhancements before it is ported to the Xbox 360.

Source: Gee whiz! It's G'biz! Again! Again!

The official story: "Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation."--Microsoft spokesperson. Square Enix was unavailable for comment as of press time.

What we heard: One of the biggest selling points of Microsoft's press conference was the fact that it was publishing Final Fantasy XI for the Xbox 360. However, by itself, that "revelation" was only moderately impressive. Considering that Sony showed off Final Fantasy XII at its conference, people naturally assumed that FFXI would be graphically upgraded to fit in with Microsoft corporate vice president and chief XNA architect J Allard's self-proclaimed "HD era" of high-resolution graphics. So when G'biz wrote that no such upgrade was in the works, people were surprised. However, GameSpot's source close to Microsoft said not to worry...sort of. "Every next-gen Xbox title will be optimized for 720p and 1080i resolutions, and at least support 5.1 surround sound. You won't get that with another version of FFXI." That said, you'd think that if the $50-billion-cash-flush Microsoft was using Final Fantasy XI as its centerpiece launch MMORPG, it would likely shell out for some new textures. And if it is, why isn't Microsoft talking about it?

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus...we think.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/20/news_6126204.html

IMHO the FFXI video they showed at the MS Press Conference looked like a few Graphic updates. It looked wonderfull. FFXI looks Great on PC and Good on PS2 as it is. Judging by the video it will look beautiful on 360. It may not use the 360 to its full capabilities but who cares it is FFXI on the 360 in HD and 5.1.

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']fuck that shit... wow first charge a shitload for a console... then a shitload for a game... now a shitload for subscription!?!?! NOOOOO[/QUOTE]

If you don't want to buy or play it don't.

troll.jpg

It definately looks to have updated graphics based on the videos shown. Definately better than the PS2 and at least as good as a high end PC. This added to HD capability and you will probably have the overall best looking version of the game to come out.

bread's done
Back