Fight Club fans, and fans of the strange check it out

Mr.Answer

CAGiversary!
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=83349&section=news

David Strom may have cut off part of his own tongue and set himself on fire in a bizarre homage to "Fight Club," a movie in which the main character leads a double life and attempts suicide.

That's the conclusion reached by state investigators and the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Department, Sheriff Brian Schlueter said Monday.

Strom, 33, was hospitalized Oct. 19 after paramedics discovered him in the farmhouse he shared with his grandmother, Dorothy Peterson near Underwood, Minn.

Strom was found handcuffed and suffering from severe burns from head to toe. The tip of his tongue had also been cut off.

After coming out of a drug-induced coma in December, Strom told his mother, Mary Olson of St. Paul, that three masked intruders attacked him in a pole barn near the farmhouse and mutilated his tongue before setting him on fire.
Was found Oct. 19 handcuffed and suffering from severe burns from head to toe after setting himself on fire
After extinguishing the flames, he was able to walk 200 yards to the farmhouse, where he dialed 911, he told his mother.

On Friday, investigators spoke to Strom for the first time since the incident and came away convinced his injuries were self- inflicted, Schlueter said.

"He (Strom) indicated he goes by two names, one of them is 'Tyler,' '' Schlueter said.

Strom told investigators he was alone at the farm and "it was Tyler who did this to him," Schlueter said.

Tyler is the name of the dark alter ego of the protagonist in the 1999 film, "Fight Club," a movie Schlueter said Strom "had more than an average interest in."

In addition to Strom's statement, evidence collected at the scene indicated no one but Strom was in the pole barn that evening, Schlueter said.

Using DNA analysis, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension recently determined latex gloves, a hat and a pop can found in the pole barn belonged to Strom.

In addition, the handcuffs involved and the knife used to cut off part of Strom's tongue belonged to Strom.

That evidence and the fact the dirt floor of the barn revealed no signs of a struggle helped convince investigators that Strom burned and mutilated himself, Schlueter said.

"It (Strom's story) didn't make sense from the start," the sheriff said.

Strom is recovering in a Twin Cities hospital, where he may have to stay for two years, his mother said in a recent interview.

Efforts to reach Olson Monday by phone and by e-mail were unsuccessful.

In the earlier interview, Olson said her son's survival was a miracle.

"There's no way he should have lived," said Olson, who started an Internet prayer circle.

She said her son has a bi-polar condition and moved to the farmstead late last summer to help his grandmother remodel the house.

The move was also an effort by Strom to re-evaluate his life and distance himself from harmful cycles in his past, his mother said.

[quote name='beerguy961']You know, I'm trying to think of joke for this. But nothing...[/quote]

same here... uh, man he got served by that knife...and the fire.

thats the best i could do

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Rig']I've never watched Fight Club.[/quote]

Do it. Now.[/quote]

I'm about ready to head to bed. Plus, I don't really want to rent it...

Maybe someday...

[quote name='Rig']I've never watched Fight Club.[/quote]

*slides behind Rig so Rig gets hit with the backlash first*

Me either.

[quote name='Javil']If I didn't know better, I'd be worried that this was you, Kaji. :lol:[/quote]

Well, it could be. I black out sometimes and wake up in Minnesota.

That's just wrong he couldn't even make up his own imaginary friend, he had to borrow a fictional characters imaginary friend.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='Rig']I've never watched Fight Club.[/quote]

*slides behind Rig so Rig gets hit with the backlash first*

Me either.[/quote]

Yeah, me either since I had the "secret" exposed to me on one of those shitty VH1 shows. I had somehow managed to avoid hearing anything about the damn movie until that day. Screw you, VH1!!!

I can just see him beating himself up and setting himself on fire with a likeness to Jim Carrey in Me, Myself, and Irene. Which to this day stands as one of the best comedic fight scenes I have ever watched.

[quote name='Wshakspear']"Well, to make the first rule a bit easier, out with the tounge..."[/quote]

First and second rule.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='beerguy961']You know, I'm trying to think of joke for this. But nothing...[/quote]

Cat got your tongue?[/quote]

Okay, that was good.

And to all the "chumps" who have never seen Fight Club, watch it ASAP.

bread's done
Back