Fight incident

Video-Gamer

CAGiversary!
Hi every one, I had an incident happen last year and I need some advices now.
I will try to write it in short way and get to the point and hopefully some one would be able to shed some light.
Last year - I had a fight with some one overseas.
Basically and to the point - the guy cussed me by telling me "fak you" in public infront of people - I then approached him and told him to say that one more time - he instead pushed me away with his hands in an aggressive way - once hi did that I started punching him and he started exchanging hits with me, and then the fight was seperated after about 2 minutes.
He called the police on me - the police took me away a few blocks down the street when I was walking away, they took me to the police station. They ran my finger prints and what not, and after 2 hours they released me.
I followed up on the case a week after in the police station - and they said that the case has been closed.
Now its already a year after this incident - but now suddenly my brother got a letter that the guy that had the fight with me taken this into court and they want me to appear in court in september.
Now mind you this - This happened over seas in the middle east, but I live in the united states and thats where I am right now.
I know that the reason this asshole is doing this because he knows that I live in the united states and he is trying to squeeze some money out of my pockets and his ego is hurt because he tried to humiliate me in public but he got humiliated himself because I won the fight.
I wanted to go to visit my family in the middle east after about a month or two - but now that I know these news - I am not sure what to do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']Hi every one, I had an incident happen last year and I need some advices now.
I will try to write it in short way and get to the point and hopefully some one would be able to shed some light.
Last year - I had a fight with some one overseas.
Basically and to the point - the guy cussed me by telling me "fak you" in public infront of people - I then approached him and told him to say that one more time - he instead pushed me away with his hands in an aggressive way - once hi did that I started punching him and he started exchanging hits with me, and then the fight was seperated after about 2 minutes.
He called the police on me - the police took me away a few blocks down the street when I was walking away, they took me to the police station. They ran my finger prints and what not, and after 2 hours they released me.
I followed up on the case a week after in the police station - and they said that the case has been closed.
Now its already a year after this incident - but now suddenly my brother got a letter that the guy that had the fight with me taken this into court and they want me to appear in court in september.
Now mind you this - This happened over seas in the middle east, but I live in the united states and thats where I am right now.
I know that the reason this asshole is doing this because he knows that I live in the united states and he is trying to squeeze some money out of my pockets and his ego is hurt because he tried to humiliate me in public but he got humiliated himself because I won the fight.
I wanted to go to visit my family in the middle east after about a month or two - but now that I know these news - I am not sure what to do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I'd call your local embassy. I doubt they'd actually bother to force you to go back over such a minor incident, but it might affect your ability to visit in the future. There's also the possibility that the government could step in and help settle the matter for you.

I know that the reason this asshole is doing this because he knows that I live in the united states and he is trying to squeeze some money out of my pockets

That's exactly what I was thinking. What a bitch he is.

Who sent the letter? Did it originate from the court or the guy who you had the incident with. Is it a civil suit or criminal charge? I have no idea how the legal process works over there, but generally in the US for a civil matter you would have to be served, jurisdiction would have to be established, ect before you ever step foot in court. If the letter came from the dude you got into a fight with, it could be an attempt to get you to voluntarily submit to jurisdiction. If the document came from the court system, It'd probably be best to consult an attorney who is versed in international law.

What caltab said. If its not an official government letter, don't bother with it.

If it is, you're going to need an international law attorney, and if this is some kind of criminal charge, you're not going to want to go back to the country anyway.

Ask for families living there on what to do? Since none of us are familiar with the laws there, they would be the most helpful to you.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']
Basically and to the point - the guy cussed me by telling me "fak you" in public infront of people - I then approached him and told him to say that one more time[/QUOTE]

Wow! Words must hurt. Charlie Sheen says congrats on "winning the fight".

[quote name='VANDALHEART']That's exactly what I was thinking. What a bitch he is.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly why I beat the crap out of him as soon as he used his hands at me first.

[quote name='caltab']Who sent the letter? Did it originate from the court or the guy who you had the incident with. Is it a civil suit or criminal charge? I have no idea how the legal process works over there, but generally in the US for a civil matter you would have to be served, jurisdiction would have to be established, ect before you ever step foot in court. If the letter came from the dude you got into a fight with, it could be an attempt to get you to voluntarily submit to jurisdiction. If the document came from the court system, It'd probably be best to consult an attorney who is versed in international law.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure where the letter came from - but my family member will be coming to the u.s next week - and he is going to bring the letter with him, so I will tell you as soon as I get it where the later originated from, but from my understanding - I think he hired a lawyer and had it done through the lawyer.
I dont think its a criminal charge because the police closed the case a week after the fight. they reviewed it - I was there when this happened and they told me specifically that you have a no criminal history record and this does not interest us this fight that you had with this foreigner{the guy was a foreign worker that I had the fight with} so they closed the case, so I am assuming this is a civil suit.
I guess I need to wait for the letter and get an international lawyer, but I know that the fking piece of s h i t is doing this to buy more time to stay there{middle east} to work there because from what I heard from a friend of mine that is there - his visa has been expired in there so he hired a lawyer to do this compalint against me int he court just to buy time so he will be able to stay there and work, or the 2nd reason obviously is to try to get some money out of it which is not what I am going to let happen because his story is a lie and there are not valid evidences. I know that he most likely said to his laywer that I hit him first - but I have 3 witnesses that saw him raise his hand first and the verbal abuse was also done by him first, but the thing that bothers me is that there were a group of 10 females that were there when the fight happened - and they are the same nationality as he is an they are also foreign workers in there - and I know they are going to be on his side if they come to the court no matter if he is lying. Im really pissed about this crap and I want to have them deported from there. Who ever he is going to bring to the court as his witness - I went them to be deported back to their countries including him.
They came there to work, but they doing all these scams and what not to trying to take advantage of people who they chose to start fights with!
I mean its been a year since this fight happened and since the case got closed! why now he is taking this to court? Obviously he has some interest, which is money or to buy time to stay there. Maybe I am just little too worried about this and I really shouldnt - I just dont like having small things like these sit on my mind.

It's not a legal letter. You have to be served. If you are not served they can't guarantee you received said letter. It doesn't matter either way this falls under the mutual affray category. You pushed him he punched you. You were both willing participants. He may have did this in hopes of getting your family there to cough up some money.

[quote name='silentevil']It's not a legal letter. You have to be served. If you are not served they can't guarantee you received said letter. It doesn't matter either way this falls under the mutual affray category. You pushed him he punched you. You were both willing participants. He may have did this in hopes of getting your family there to cough up some money.[/QUOTE]

He pushed me first - I punched him after that, and then he started punching as well, and I beat him up.
But any way - if you say its not a legal letter - and you saying that I have to be served - what does that mean?
And for instance what happens If I dont fly there to appear in court in 4 months from today day which is when I am supposed to appear according to the letter - what will happen then? is the judge is going to rule this b.s into his favor or no?

[quote name='Video-Gamer']He pushed me first - I punched him after that, and then he started punching as well, and I beat him up.
But any way - if you say its not a legal letter - and you saying that I have to be served - what does that mean?
And for instance what happens If I dont fly there to appear in court in 4 months from today day which is when I am supposed to appear according to the letter - what will happen then? is the judge is going to rule this b.s into his favor or no?[/QUOTE]

You really need to get a copy of the letter and show it to an international law attorney here in the United States. There is no way any of us can guess what the letter says, who it is from, or what the laws of the country are that this legal process is taking place in.

And for your earlier question, being "served" with an official court document telling you to appear is one of the hallmarks of the US legal system. You must have official notice of the nature of the proceedings filed against you before appearing in court to answer to them. Unfortunately I don't know if this is a principle of law in the Middle East. Again, an international law attorney will be able to help you with all of these matters far better than a bunch of random people on a video game shopping message board.

[quote name='kodave']You really need to get a copy of the letter and show it to an international law attorney here in the United States. There is no way any of us can guess what the letter says, who it is from, or what the laws of the country are that this legal process is taking place in.

And for your earlier question, being "served" with an official court document telling you to appear is one of the hallmarks of the US legal system. You must have official notice of the nature of the proceedings filed against you before appearing in court to answer to them. Unfortunately I don't know if this is a principle of law in the Middle East. Again, an international law attorney will be able to help you with all of these matters far better than a bunch of random people on a video game shopping message board.[/QUOTE]

I will get the letter this week, and then see what exactly it says in there.....
I just dont want to spend now hundreds of hundreds of dollars on a lawyer who will just trying to escalate this into a serious case rather than help because I dont trust lawyers, and like you said yourself - we are on cheapassgamer.com, we cag'ers dont have extra money laying around just like that to spend on lawyers....

I sincerely doubt anyone on CAG knows the intricacies of the legal process in the middle east or international conflicts of law, including the establishment of jurisdiction and service requirements. Something like this can be VERY complex. The origin of the letter and what it says is pretty key though in anyone, here or elsewhere, being able to give you any meaningful info. You could contact your local state bar referral service to point you in the direction of someone who could help.

some one said something about the goverment here being able to help me - and I am thinking of contacting the C.I.A or F.B.I.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']some one said something about the goverment here being able to help me - and I am thinking of contacting the C.I.A or F.B.I.[/QUOTE]

Are you an American citizen? If not, you could go talk to your country's embassy or consulate, but if this legal action is taking place in your country, they may very well encourage you to go back to deal with it even if its not necessary.

As for the FBI or CIA... They deal with crime and espionage, not this stuff.

Also, an initial consultation with an international law attorney won't break the bank and you can likely get a meeting with one where they review the letter and your situation for no charge, then you can decide whether or not to proceed with their services.

Yes we're all CAGs but international law, especially dealing with countries in the Middle East, isn't a "do it yourself" kind of thing you can just figure out correcting by doing a Google Search or by posting on a gaming message board.

Everyone loves to hate attorneys but if you're truly concerned about this letter and possible legal action against you, you NEED to contact an international law attorney. Like caltab said you can contact the State Bar for whatever state you're currently in for a referral service that will put you in touch with the proper kind of attorney.

[quote name='kodave']Are you an American citizen? If not, you could go talk to your country's embassy or consulate, but if this legal action is taking place in your country, they may very well encourage you to go back to deal with it even if its not necessary.

As for the FBI or CIA... They deal with crime and espionage, not this stuff.

Also, an initial consultation with an international law attorney won't break the bank and you can likely get a meeting with one where they review the letter and your situation for no charge, then you can decide whether or not to proceed with their services.

Yes we're all CAGs but international law, especially dealing with countries in the Middle East, isn't a "do it yourself" kind of thing you can just figure out correcting by doing a Google Search or by posting on a gaming message board.

Everyone loves to hate attorneys but if you're truly concerned about this letter and possible legal action against you, you NEED to contact an international law attorney. Like caltab said you can contact the State Bar for whatever state you're currently in for a referral service that will put you in touch with the proper kind of attorney.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thank you and every one else for the advices.

If you are not a US citizen this isn't even international law. If you are not a US citizen this is legal matter within that country since that person is taking action as a resident there. You need to talk to a lawyer or adviser from that country.

[quote name='62t']If you are not a US citizen this isn't even international law. If you are not a US citizen this is legal matter within that country since that person is taking action as a resident there. You need to talk to a lawyer or adviser from that country.[/QUOTE]

Well, the fact he is currently in America adds the international element to it. Plus it might be hard to locate a Saudian Arabian, or whatever country he's from, attorney here in the United States. An American international law attorney will be able to tell him things like if he even has to go back to respond to this, what will happen if he doesn't respond, etc. Then if he does go back to whatever country this takes place in, he'd probably need to hire an attorney of that country at that point.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']He pushed me first - I punched him after that, and then he started punching as well, and I beat him up.
And for instance what happens If I dont fly there to appear in court in 4 months from today day which is when I am supposed to appear according to the letter - what will happen then? is the judge is going to rule this b.s into his favor or no?[/QUOTE]
Serving someone papers is a guarantee they received the papers. They are typically done in person by a court officer or someone hired by the person suing. When you are served you have the right to rebut what they are claiming in a written statement to the court. I'm not from Israel so I do not know how the civil system works over there. It's clearly not a criminal matter and it was a mutual fight. If this is an actual civil court proceeding he has no leg to stand on unless you he punch you and you elevated the level of violence i.e. went and grabbed a bat and hit him with it.

It still sounds like he is trying to scam your family over there by making them afraid. I'm sure he has probably told your family if you don't pay they will have to etc etc. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it until I have the letter in hand.

[quote name='silentevil']Serving someone papers is a guarantee they received the papers. They are typically done in person by a court officer or someone hired by the person suing. When you are served you have the right to rebut what they are claiming in a written statement to the court. I'm not from Israel so I do not know how the civil system works over there. It's clearly not a criminal matter and it was a mutual fight. If this is an actual civil court proceeding he has no leg to stand on unless you he punch you and you elevated the level of violence i.e. went and grabbed a bat and hit him with it.

It still sounds like he is trying to scam your family over there by making them afraid. I'm sure he has probably told your family if you don't pay they will have to etc etc. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it until I have the letter in hand.[/QUOTE]

You are correct - the letter was personally delivered by registered mail to my brother's house, and my brother had to sign it under his name to receive the letter. My brother said to the mail man that I dont live there - and the mail man said that if your brother doesnt live here then I will have to take the letter back and return it to the sender and nothing will be delivered to this house any more, so my brother out of worry/curiosity accepted the letter.
And its true he is just trying to get money out of it which he wont, and the 2nd reason is that he is just using this excuse to extend his visa over there because he is not even a citizen in there, he is a foreign worker, so he hired a lawyer on purpose just to maybe "buy" more time to be able to stay there and work. Thats what pissing me off - regardless if he is doing this to get money or to buy more time to stay there and work and make money.
These kind of people need to be deported back to their fucking third world countries and rot in there. They get opportunities to come to foreign countries and make better money - but instead they are trying to lie and scam the courts.
fucking piece of shit.

9kp98w.jpg

Sending something by registered mail does not equal service of process in the United States, but who knows in other countries. I don't even know if personal service is a requirement in middle eastern countries. Even if you are properly served there could also be some personal jurisdiction issues. A few of the other statements some people are saying are not really all that accurate. Liability for an alleged assault and battery is not always very cut and dry because there are a ton of variables at play. Also, it sounds like you haven't even read the letter, you shouldn't get all worked up and jump to conclusions before doing so. I am not sure how suing you would buy him more time- I am pretty sure a pending civil case would not be grounds for extending a visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, I know it must be tough but you have to calm down and wait to get a copy of the letter. I don't know why your family member couldn't just fax it or scan it into an email but given the situation you just have to wait to see it.

Next thing I would do would be to contact the US embassy.

I doubt they can do anything to you if you decide to never return, but if you decide that you want to go back that might be a different story.

[quote name='camoor']OP, I know it must be tough but you have to calm down and wait to get a copy of the letter. I don't know why your family member couldn't just fax it or scan it into an email but given the situation you just have to wait to see it.

Next thing I would do would be to contact the US embassy.

I doubt they can do anything to you if you decide to never return, but if you decide that you want to go back that might be a different story.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am trying to just be patient and wait for the letter. It would be here by the end of this week.
I am planning to come back if I have to in order to defend myself and possibly do an against suing if possible.

bread's done
Back